Transformers - Generations

Reaction score
This year’s Hasbro Transformers Comic-Con toys pay homage to the franchise’s 29-year history, and Hero Complex readers get a first look at them.
The three special-edition Comic-Con toy sets run the gamut of the brand’s evolution. In preparation for the brand’s 30th anniversary, one of the sets pays tribute to Transformers: Generation 1 — the original toy line that launched in 1984. The Transformers Titan Guardians action figure set features five classic characters: Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave and Grimlock.
“These are five of the greatest Transformers characters ever,” said Jerry Jivoin, Hasbro’s global brand marketing director for Transformers, in a statement. Jivoin said the figures feature the original G1 colors and sculpts, based on the 1980s designs.
Another toy set — Shockwave’s Laboratory — finds inspiration from today’s popular animated series “Transformers: Prime – Beast Hunters” (currently airing on the Hub network) and features the evil Decepticon scientist and his cloning chamber, as well as a Commander Class Predaking figure.
“We’ve changed things up a bit in this set, making its components a little different than other figures available in the mainline toys,” Jivoin said. “For example, the Voyager-scale Shockwave in this set is in Prime styling but features G1 deco. Similarly the Commander scale Predaking features a translucent Energon-infused treatment.”
The third Comic-Con item is the largest converting Transformers toy ever made, standing at more than two feet tall. The Transformers Generations Titan Class Metroplex converts from robot into a rolling battle platform, and to an Autobot city, inhabited by 12 miniature Autobot and Decepticon figures, as well as a Legends-scale Scamper figure. The toy is the first in the Transformers Thrilling 30 line, celebrating the franchise’s anniversary.
With the 30th anniversary around the corner and the fourth film, starring Mark Wahlberg, in the “Transformers” movie series slated for a June 27, 2014, release, Hasbro is ramping up its presence at Comic-Con International in San Diego this year. Hasbro is hosting two “Transformers” panels — one previewing the “Thrilling 30″ figures and a look at the new “Construct-Bots” line, and the other celebrating the “Beast Hunters” animated series and upcoming “Predacons Rising” movie.
Exclusive: Hasbro honors ‘Transformers’ history with Comic-Con toys | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times

mjb

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the metroplex will be available at a retail store, or should i just order it from bbts. I know it is different then the exclusive, but i would be content with this one, i dont feel like paying ebay prices for it.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the metroplex will be available at a retail store, or should i just order it from bbts. I know it is different then the exclusive, but i would be content with this one, i dont feel like paying ebay prices for it.
Also, keep an eye on Amazon. It keeps popping on and off at retail.

Reaction score
Ok, can I say something? There is a lot of Blitzwing bashing here. I love this guy. Am I a moron for doing so? Springer hands down is gushing with transformer goodness but Blitzwing I love too. Is he perfect no but cool none the less.
Personally, I passed on Blitzwing because of cost...but I often feel the way you do about these things. Figures I love often get slammed in threads...and figures that I don't like often end up with high praise. It makes me think I either have really bad taste, or the collecting community is engaged in some kind of world-wide Greenland/Iceland deception to prevent their favorite figures from selling out while driving up demand for toys that would otherwise be pegwarmers.

Reaction score
With the new wave hitting retail and my metroplex coming from bbts next week, I figured I would post some pictures of Deluxe Hoist I got off ebay came out just about retail for me with the free shipping. See completed auction below.
Transformers Generations Hasbro Exclusive Cover IDW Hoist Autobot Figure Loose | eBay
I also won skywarp from them but was outbid on Thundercracker. Oh well maybe next time.
I like the figures of Hoist and trailcutter, granted they could be larger but they are cool pieces to own. On hasbros end I wish the autobot symbol was shown on robot form as it is on the vehicle mode.
Enjoy the pictures.
DS

Reaction score
hoist and trailbreaker look great and cant wait to get them. passing on the jets, even tho they look cool, as i have the g1 style generations versions

also been a while since i last posted so since then have gotten generations versions of springer, blitzwing, sandstorm, blaster, omega supreme, and the beast wars shockwave. wish they had just done a larger version of the generations shockwave tho.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked up Orion Pax & Stealth Bomber Megatron a couple weeks ago at a Kmart... they had the full case there, but after much consideration I passed on Trailcutter, deciding to wait for Hoist (I like his crane becoming a weapon better than the big shield with blasters that Trail gets). Skipped on Bumblebee... never really a fan of the head design IDW gave him with that body (mostly the 'cheeks'; it's overkill).

I like Pax, small as he is; Megatron, the size bugs me but he's okay.

Reaction score
I just hope Springer stays in stock at least a couple more months as I re-stablize my toy budget after this summer. I want to put him in a mini-Wreckers with my Generations Jazz, Kup, and Prime Arcee.

Reaction score
Saw this on TFW

listed in the computer for the deluxe assortment
Rattrap, Nightbear i assume), tankor, and Crosscut i assume)

551716976-crosscut
551716975-tankor
551716974-rattrap
551716973-nightbeat

Last edited:
Reaction score
saw one at TRU Indianapolis for $129.99

Reaction score
Check Walmart's site. It's coming up as available for site-to-store.

Reaction score
...but after much consideration I passed on Trailcutter, deciding to wait for Hoist (I like his crane becoming a weapon better than the big shield with blasters that Trail gets).
...after seeing the 3rd party add-on set for Trailcutter & Hoist, now I'm regretting the decision to skip Trail... but, he'll be around for awhile and is all over online shops. Plus I've been catching up on More Than Meets The Eye, and am really digging the toys inspired by the series (and the characters within the comic!). Wouldn't mind if Hasbro did a ton more Generations toys based on the crew of the Lost Light (with Cybertronian alt-modes, even). Haven't read much of Robots In Disguise, yet, but there's plenty of ammunition for Hasbro to use to deliver toys from both series for a good long while...

...especially if they weren't wasting so much money on the Bay movie toys. :awesome:

Reaction score
I got Springer and Bliztwing recently, and have to say I am pretty disappointed in both. The robot forms are great, but neither of their vehicle forms are very convincing.

Reaction score
Overall I liked the vehicles of both. Not everything tabs in properly on Springer (been ages since I transformed Blitz), so his armored car mode was a bit 'off', and the helicopter one felt a bit empty around the sides, and again with tabbing the legs & all that (getting the sword to properly tab into the legs in copter mode is a pain, tho it does kinda stay put even w/o the tabs connected). Blitz, the main problem I had was the same one everyone did: the nosecone not being aligned properly, due to the head being too big. I'm planning on picking up one of the 3rd party remedies for that eventually... bigger gun, smaller head, shoulder brackets to keep the shoulders in place. For Springer, I haven't checked threads, but there's supposedly some fixes for some of his issues... all I'm planning to buy for him, tho, is the sweet gatling gun & sidearm Dr. Wu's making.

I wish all these weapon add-ons weren't so pricey :p Hasbro could rake in the dough with some better-priced Generations-style accessory packs that cover a lot of the gaps the 3rd party weapons manufacturers are covering.

Reaction score
For those who missed Blaster and Grimlock, you might want to check Target. My store got that wave in this week. And I ended up paying over retail to get them a month ago!

Reaction score
I had read a rumor somewhere that Metroplex was going to be at Costco for $80 for the holidays. Yesterday I went to my local costco and the store manager was kind enough to look in the system to see if the rumor is true. Turns out - IT IS. Of course there is a downside though. The manager said there were only 164 units ordered for the warehouse to then be allocated across 60 stores in the region. He said newer stores will get more product than older stores (which may not get any of them at all). He let me see the computer screen as he was looking all this up. He said there is not a "release date" listed but that the computer shows the 164 units ordered.

The item number for Metroplex in the Costco system (which is not yet active) will be 994294

I went to one of the 3 local TRU's in Indianapolis today and they had Metroplex for $130. For those of you who have Costco memberships - please post on this thread if you spot Metroplex in the store. I would really like to get one of these for $80 instead of $130... Thanks so much!

Edited to include item number for those interested.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Someone on TFW2005 posted a picture of a whole PALETTE of Metroplexes at Costco...

...I've got 4 preorders & a regular order attached to one of 'em, all tentatively scheduled to drop this month. My wife's gonna kill me as is, without introducing a 2-foot-tall Metroplex into the house.

GNT

Reaction score
Metroplex is out here, it's in a carry box with a handle so it's not that bad, I would love it but wouldn't know where to put it :p

Reaction score
Someone on TFW2005 posted a picture of a whole PALETTE of Metroplexes at Costco...
I just saw the thread over at TFW2005. Saw the pix. Went back to local Costco and... Nothing. Store manager now thinks Indianapolis stores will not receive Metroplex - that he will only be shipping to newer stores. Closest "new" store is in Ft. Wayne (2 hours away). So, I went to local TRU and they had 2 in stock. Used 15% off coupon and purchased one for $120 (with tax) as a Christmas present for my son. I'll hold onto the receipt. If I end up finding this thing at Costco, I'll pick one up for $80 and return the other to TRU.

Reaction score
I saw a big stack of them yesterday at Costco. It wasn't exactly a new Costco, in fact this Costco didn't get the exclusive quinjet last year, so maybe they're a little hit or miss.

Reaction score
I saw a big stack of them yesterday at Costco. It wasn't exactly a new Costco, in fact this Costco didn't get the exclusive quinjet last year, so maybe they're a little hit or miss.
Are you suggesting a Hasbro product had distribution problems?! Surely you jest! :awesome:

Reaction score
In the case of Metroplex. I think stores are scared to order him. Target has him on their site saying only sold in stores but you look at the their Fiat system and OOS. Walmart only has him as site to store. TRU is the only store that has the cojones to carry him.

Reaction score
This past weekend I was in Chicago. I called around and found that the Lincoln Park (downtown Chicago) Costco had a case of 40+ Metroplex's in stock. Further calling around revealed that the Lincoln Park store is the ONLY store within 250 miles to carry Metroplex. So I drove down to the store, waited in line approximately an hour (busiest Costco I've ever been to), and walked out with an $80 Metroplex. The next day, I returned the $130 unopened Metroplex I had previously purchased to my local Toys R Us and made a $50 net savings. It's tough to find him at Costco, but was totally worth it.

Reaction score
Do you drive a Prius ? Honestly don't think I'd drive 250 miles anywhere to stand in line of an hour to save $50 but good for you!

Reaction score
Lots of Hasbro listings popped up (with some sleuthing) earlier today... Generations Voyager Roadbuster & Brainstorm, Deluxe Arcee(!!), Chromia, Hardhead (delivering on that alt-head from the Warpath instructions seems to be the consensus; I love that mold, so looking forward to that), and Jhiaxus (quite an IDW-bunch there--well, not Chromia, really) and a few others (Nightbeat, Crosscut, Rattrap) that were spotted previously in WalMart computers.

Plus, 30th Anniversary Leader-class Jetfire and Megatron--tho someone mentioned having seen a prototype of a new BW Megatron, so it'll probably be a big T-rex instead of a tank/gun/stealth-bomber Megs.

(edit: yeah, and Legends! I've got the 3rd party not-Brawn on the way, Deluxe-size, but I might get Legends Brawn, too; Gears will likely be Swerve with a new head, unless they really surprise us)

I hope they don't stink. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
TFW has news on a horde of previously unannounced Generations figures coming our way...I'm most excited for the Legends Brawn, Gears, and Cliffjumper (assuming they aren't just repaints). I'll hold off on my excitement for he Voyagers, Leaders, and Deluxes until I see what they look like.
I would assume Gears will be a retool of Swerve with a new head which makes sense. Cliffjumper I guess a repaint of Legends Bee but I really hope for a new mold here. Brawn has to be a new mold! These legends listing excite me the most out of those new listings next to Deluxe Arcee!

Reaction score
Tho much more expensive, I think I'd much rather have MMC's 3rd party 'not-Predaking', Feral Rex. So far, they look amazing, each one's nearly MP-scale, and the gestalt's sword isn't just a recolored Beast Hunters Star Saber. :p

Reaction score
I'm assuming you guys know about the 20% off plus free shipping sale at HTS, and that Doubledealer and Rhinox can be pre-ordered with that deal, right?

Reaction score
Shhh, I'm trying to ignore the temptation of getting Blaster and BH Shockwave with that deal...

Reaction score
I caved & ordered Blaster. Shockwave's still very tempting, but I already have FOC Shocky--tiny, but awesome. This'd be my first Blaster (not to be confused with My First Blaster, ©™ Brainstorm)

I like Grimlock overall; his alt-mode's not great, with the limited head movement due to light-up/action feature, the massive open chest cavity, the legs locking into the torso limiting movement, and the fat tail. But bot-mode's very nice. Probably gonna get some of the add-ons... would be nice to give him a G1-like blaster, and the Zenith Forge set w/ plate to cover the chest cavity, MP-style head, and newer/bigger/sharper sword & shield looks really cool (and would free up his Hasbro weapons to go to other deserving bots). Plus, Planet X is making FOC-style Dinobots to go with Grimmy...their not-Swoop, Caelus, looks pretty spectacular so far.

EDIT: ...caved again last night & ordered Beast Hunters Shockwave. A little over $17 shipped after tax, not bad...

Last edited: