Toybiz LOTR

Reaction score
I apologize if there's another thread around somewhere for this line. If so, mods, please move it over! -Thanks!

I've revisited the Toybiz LOTR figs lately (as complementary to Four Horsemen's Mythic Legions) and found that so many of them have a really gross, chemical stink. I'm assuming it's degradation of the rubber materials so many of them have.

Anybody have a similar experience and have luck getting it out? I've tried various cleaning techniques from the basic warm water and dishsoap bath to some of the less potent solvents. I've cleanup some some of the sloppy paint apps in the proces :)weeabooface:), but haven't seemed to affect the smell.

Reaction score
Are your figures loose and on display (i.e. exposed to household elements), or have they remained in unsealed original packaging for all these years? I'm supposing - since you're washing/cleaning them - that they've been out and about.

I haven't revisited mine in long while, so I can't speak specifically on the matter, but I do own quite a number of them, some still sealed both in the moon boxes and on the blister cards and some opened/previously displayed 10 to 15 years ago (but then returned to their original packaging for an out-of-state move).

I wish I could be more of a help. When I finally get to mine (my toy room is an ongoing disaster, and my backlog is incredible), I'll try to see if I can gather more information.

Reaction score
Curious. Does anyone know if mispackaged figures command a fair price on the secondary market? Wrong figure in mint box type.

Reaction score
Curious. Does anyone know if mispackaged figures command a fair price on the secondary market? Wrong figure in mint box type.
I'm speculating (which is worth exactly nothing in and of itself, lol), but I doubt much of anything. It seems like the days of any kind of value to packaging errors have long gone by.

Reaction score
I'm speculating (which is worth exactly nothing in and of itself, lol), but I doubt much of anything. It seems like the days of any kind of value to packaging errors have long gone by.
That's my feeling too, DarthPete. I think the novelty of packaging errors have worn off, perhaps somewhat due to the "popularity" of figure swapping (or BAF part stealing). I think MOSC errors may perhaps still hold some sway, but the vintage ones (no matter the line) will always be more interesting and valuable at this point.