Toybiz - Lord of the Rings Action Figures

Reaction score
Has anybody seen a figure in a two towers half moon box with the toy biz logo in the top right corner and a different company name in the bottom right corner? It's bi-lingual and it came from Quebec.So it was French and English on it.I believe it was a Helms Deep Aragon,at least I know it was a Aragon.The other company name was in bright red bubble block letters.I've never seen one before like this.

Reaction score
The one on the right looks like someone punched him in the face and gave him a bloody nose!

Reaction score
Anyone here follow the kickstarter for the Four Horsemen Mythic Legions line? Seems like a great way to get some new orcs on your shelf (in March 2016).

Reaction score
I had them all MOC except for that Orc that wasn't released in the US, and sold them all to a dealer to fund my 1/6th purchases, especially Hot Toys. I still have the big Gollum/Smeagol, as well as several multi-figure sets. They were awesome figures...that being said, I never bought any of the Hobbit line.

Reaction score
I had them all MOC except for that Orc that wasn't released in the US, and sold them all to a dealer to fund my 1/6th purchases, especially Hot Toys. I still have the big Gollum/Smeagol, as well as several multi-figure sets. They were awesome figures...that being said, I never bought any of the Hobbit line.
Well, if you had bought the Hobbit figures sadly they wouldn't have taken up much space what with all 6 or 7 of them. Totally pathetic line compared to the amazing line Toy Biz made.

Reaction score
Well, if you had bought the Hobbit figures sadly they wouldn't have taken up much space what with all 6 or 7 of them. Totally pathetic line compared to the amazing line Toy Biz made.
Clearly you and I still aren't over that TBD cluster****, aye DarkKnight07? :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, two years later I'm still only interested in picking up the Radagast and Azog figures.. but not interested enough to pay retail for them.

Reaction score
For you LotR Toy Biz experts...Can you tell me all of the figures that came with the little background display? I know at least some of them are hobbits and they are from early in the line...but a complete list would be nice.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Reaction score
The only two that I can think of offhand are the original Samwise Gamgee and the Bilbo Baggins that has the doorway diorama. The original Saruman has the pedestal with the palantir, Gimli comes with the pedestal with the ring on it when he tries to smash it, but I suppose those two aren't technically background displays.

Reaction score
Also Orc Overseer, Frodo, and Gollum/Sméagol (a couple of the versions came with stuff, the rock he sits on, and the climbing wall). I had to take a peak at my collection and was surprised there were more than I remember. I'm assuming there has to be more.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was an early Frodo figure (which DarkKnight07 mentions), with a (venetian blind-style) changing background / base thingee... if I'm remembering rightly, a disc which Frodo stands on activates the 'background' forest scene???

EDIT: here it is!!!! COOL TOY REVIEW: Cool Toy Review Photo Archive

Not backgrounds (as such) but:

* There was a Frodo & Samwise Gamgee two-pack that came with a little boat

* An Aragorn (Council of Elrond) figure, that came with an aging prologue elven shield, and the shattered pieces of Nasil

(sigh!) that was the collecting Heyday of all-things middle-earth...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep, except it wasn't the platform that Frodo stood on that activated the rotation, it was activated by putting the ring replica in a special slot & turning it.

Reaction score
Every time this thread starts showing life again I just want to pull my LOTR collection out of storage and rip them open!

*sigh*... Just don't have anywhere to display them...

Reaction score
Yep, except it wasn't the platform that Frodo stood on that activated the rotation, it was activated by putting the ring replica in a special slot & turning it.
How cool is that! I didn't realize that's how it worked. I guess that's what I get for not opening my toys.

Reaction score
I was never a huge fan of the backdrop, would have preferred just scenery without the changing picture, and the ring always had to be turned half way to fully show one of the pictures.

Reaction score
And that sir, was why I sold my whole collection...miss 'em every day, but had no #.
Every time this thread starts showing life again I just want to pull my LOTR collection out of storage and rip them open!

*sigh*... Just don't have anywhere to display them...

Reaction score
Good Lord I miss this line. Sad that the Hobbit line wasn't given the same kind of love as the Toy Biz figures.

Reaction score
I saw the Neca Balrog in person for the first time the first day of Celebration Anaheim. Went back to the dealer on Saturday who stated a woman had come by Friday and put down 1,2,3 hundred dollars and went on her way. It was neat to see in person, and is really one of my collecting holy grails, but honestly there was so much to look at and spend money on, that I couldn't just settle for that one thing filling the suitcase.

Reaction score
Picked up Eowyn - Shield Maiden of Rohan this past week, cool figure. While the sculpt, paint and articulation are great, I think the figures biggest downfall is the likeness not really looking too much like Miranda Otto. It's not any worse then the other iterations in the line, but the one where she is wearing her helmet is actually the best likeness of the actor in my opinion. I thought this was the last figure left for me to pick up, but I'm still missing Balrog Battle Gandalf and possibly a Strider variant.

My seven year old wanted to play LOTR after seeing the demonic looking Galadrial in the special features of the last Hobbit film. When she was playing with the Nazgul horse, I couldn't remember the best way to make the eyes light up red. A quick search led me to an original press release from almost 15 years ago. Cool stuff to follow, especially love the suggested retail prices at the time:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 16, 2001

RING IN THE EXCITEMENT AS TOY BIZ INTRODUCES AN ACTION-PACKED LINE OF PRODUCTS INSPIRED BY ONE OF THE BIGGEST MOVIE EVENTS OF ALL-TIME

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Based On J.R.R. Tolkien's Best-Selling Book Series, The Highly-Anticipated Movie Event Features An All-Star Cast Including Cate Blanchett, Sir Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler & Elijah Wood

Action Figures Utilize Innovative Laser Scan Technology To Recreate The Remarkable Likeness Of Their Film Counterparts

NEW YORK, NY -- Feel the sword lunging, arrow attacking excitement as Toy Biz, a division of Marvel Enterprises (NYSE: MVL), introduces an action-packed line-up of products inspired by one of the most momentous movie events of all time -- New Line Cinema's The Lord of the Rings. Widely heralded as the book series of the century, the cinematic version of J.R.R. Tolkien's world-renowned literary phenomenon is destined to be one of the hottest movies of 2001 as it boasts a colossal fan base and story line of immeasurable depth. On December 19, 2001, New Line will release the eagerly awaited The Fellowship of the Ring -- the first of the grand trilogy. Films two and three -- The Two Towers and Return of the King -- are scheduled to hit theatres Holiday 2002 and 2003. Featuring an all-star cast including Sean Astin, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Brad Dourif, Sir Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Sir Ian McKellen, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortensen, John Rhys-Davies, Liv Tyler, and Elijah Wood, audiences worldwide will finally encounter the magical creatures and characters that have made these books best-sellers for more than over 40 years.

Toy Biz will add to the film's frenzy with an incredibly diversified line of toy products that brings home the magic of the movie. The initial wave of action figures and accessories, role-play items, and collectible marbles will be in stores this fall. To view Toy Biz's, The Lord of the Rings toys go to www.marvel.com/toybiz/lotr.

Intricately sculpted in the likenesses of the actors, each item employs a combination of laser scanned technology and top talent sculptors, resulting in incredibly detailed figures that flawlessly captures the authenticity of the characters and accessories from the live-action film. Toy Biz will bring The Lord of the Rings line of action-packed toys to life by combining a number of dynamic action features -- including sound, movement, and light-up features -- allowing kids to re-enact the battles between elves, dwarves and wizards and the forces of evil.

The following is a listing of the sculpted, action-oriented line-up:

The Lord of the Rings Action Figures Assortment I & II
Bring home the excitement of the blockbuster movie from New Line Cinema with 10 new intricate action figures. These 6" fully poseable action figures depict each character of the movie with authentic sculptured costumes and accessories along with specific battle actions to recreate pivotal scenes from the film. The characters in Assortment I include: Frodo, Witch King Ring Wraith, Strider, Legolas and Newborn Lurtz Uruk-Hai. The characters in Assortment II include: Gandalf, Gimli, Sam Wise Gamgee, Saruman and Orc Overseer.
Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $7.99

Action Figure Twin Pack Assortment I
These pairings will match central characters against one another, recreating climactic encounters seen in the film. Each set contains two intricately sculpted figures with detailed accessories and unique innovative action features. The Twin Packs include: Boromir vs. Lurtz/Uruk-Hai, Galadriel & Frodo, and Merry & Pippin with Moria Orc (Goblin).

Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $12.99

Deluxe Horse Assortment
These fully articulated and elaborately decorated figures come with both horse and rider:
The Ring Wraith (Black Riders) and Horse - The beautifully articulated assortments each come with intricately detailed horses and riders. The dark riders are equipped with swords and utilize an exclusive sword slashing action feature. The traits of the horses are masterfully depicted in their facial expressions, armor, and saddles. Children can enjoy the horse's action features by pulling on the reigns to "light up" the eyes and produce an impressive snarling action or by squeezing the triggers located at their hind sections to activate a front leg galloping action.

Arwen With Asfaloth - Arwen, the young elven woman known as the She-Elf who rides the white horse named Asfaloth, is elegantly dressed and comes equipped with the Evenstar Pendant that lights-up when pressed. The figure is accompanied by a small and frail Frodo figure that is detailed to illustrate the dramatic poisoning scene from the movie. Joining the pair is Arwen's trusted steed Asfaloth whose intricate detail is highlighted in its saddle and mane. The horse also features a galloping action when its trigger is squeezed.

Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $19.99

Electronic Cave Troll
The creature of the evil Goblins, the gigantic Cave Troll is one of the most fearsome creatures in Middle Earth. This 10", fully poseable, incredibly detailed deluxe action figure perfectly captures the character's menacing look. It features club swinging, spear jabbing and snarling mouth actions along with electronic sound effects that mimic some of the heart-pounding scenes from the motion picture. (Includes 2 "AAA" batteries)

In Stores December 2001 Suggested Retail Price: $19.99

The Lord of the Rings Collector Series
These assortments of 9" to 12" action figures will focus on the most important cast members featured in the film. Assortment 1 features -- Gandalf, Frodo and Arwen. Each fully poseable, intricately detailed figure comes dressed in an authentic fabric costume that flawlessly captures the character's distinctive outfit from the live-action feature film.
Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $19.99

Bow N' Arrow
Kids can pretend to portray their favorite characters and battle each other with this Lord of the Rings Bow 'n Arrow set. It's stylized to look like the weapons used by the Uruk-Hai and comes complete with three foam arrows which shoot over 30 feet and a belt clip to store arrows.

Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $16.99

Electronic Middle Earth Sword
The warriors and mythical creatures seen in The Lord of the Rings battle with swords and other magical weapons. With the Electronic Middle Earth Sword, children will be able to re-enact their favorite duels from the film. This 30" long saber features realistic clashing and clanging sound effects that are activated with just the press of a button. (Includes 3 "AA" batteries)

Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $14.99

Electronic Light 'N Sound "Sting" Sword
Children can use the Electronic Light 'N Sound "Sting" Sword to pretend that they are Frodo Baggins, the young hero of The Lord of the Rings motion picture. This 20" magical sword given to Frodo by Bilbo glows blue when evil Orcs are near and has sword slashing sound activated by a motion switch. (Includes 2 "AAA" batteries)

Now Available Suggested Retail Price: $12.99

The Lord of the Rings Phenomenon
Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 100 million copies to date and has been translated into 40 different languages since it first appeared 45 years ago. The legend has inspired an entire genre of movie and fiction, and has influenced some of the greatest artists of our time but has never been told in its entirety on the big screen. Set in a mythic pre-history world called Middle-Earth, The Lord of the Rings saga tells the story of an epic battle between good and evil, involving wizards, hobbits and elves, and a ring with mysterious powers. All three films are being shot back-to-back and directed by Peter Jackson (The Frighteners, Heavenly Creatures). The frenzy surrounding April 2000's Internet preview on the film's official site at www.lordoftherings.net, proved the excitement for the film was at a feverish pitch. A new, more elaborate version of the site, launched January 2001, generated an astounding level of traffic on the net with more than 41 million hits in its first three days. Additionally, at least 400 fan sites are exclusively devoted to the production, many already featuring countdowns, to the very second, of the first film's opening.

Through the ownership of over 4,700 proprietary characters, Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: MVL) is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies with operations in five divisions: licensing, toys -- via its Toy Biz division, comic book and trade publishing, entertainment and the Internet. Marvel licenses its characters in a wide range of consumer products, services and media such as feature films, television, the Internet, apparel, video games, collectibles, snack foods and promotions. Marvel's characters and plot lines are created and developed through the comic book publishing division, which maintains a leadership position in the U.S. and abroad. For additional company information visit the Company's corporate Web site at http://www.marvel.com.

Founded in 1967, New Line Cinema is the entertainment industry's leading independent producer and distributor of theatrical motion pictures. New Line licenses its films to ancillary markets including cable and broadcast television as well as to international venues. The company, which is a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner Inc., operates several divisions including in-house theatrical distribution, marketing, home video, television acquisitions, production, licensing and merchandising units.

Reaction score
Here are 2 side-by-side pics.

Interesting fact : both are Canadian cards. Though notice the lack of the 'Grand Toys' logo (bottom left corner) on the ROTK card. ALL my Canadian carded LOTR Trilogy figures have the Grand Toys logo, save for this one. Its also the only one I have with a Wal-Mart sticker. On the back, instead of 'Imported to Canada by Grand Toys', it says 'Imported to Canada by Wal-Mart'.

Now, a pic of the backs, side-by-side. Notice the other figures in the assortment on the ROTK card. I 'guess' this means we could also find all those figures on a ROTK card. What do you guys think? Any Canadian LOTR collector can chime in?
7 years later.....do you still have Blue Hama?

Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to own almost the entire toybiz run of LOTR figures, I'm only missing a few from the last few waves. I still need the Gondorian Swordsman and Mordor Orc Lieutenant (the one with the skull atop his helmet) most of all...the others I'm missing are mostly just sort of random variant stuff and nothing really exciting or rare just never felt the need to pick them up. It was a really great line, especially the later years when they mostly if not entirely dropped the action features. It did always annoy me when they'd release a boxed set though with ONE or TWO exclusive figures...and the rest I already own. So I had multiples of many figures just to get said exclusive.

For the Hobbit line...well sadly it kind of went (for me) the same way the films did. Started strong then as it went it just fizzled out. For my money, man those films got bad after the first one and by the third got REALLY bad. I only picked up three figures from the 6'' line, Radaghast, Gandalf, and Thorin.

Did you guys see Diamond Select is doing a new modern LOTR line?

I'm excited for it but have some concerns. So far they've shown Legolas, Gimli, Frodo, Aragorn, a Nazgul, an Orc, and a build a figure Sauron. I believe that's all so far. But here's my main concern: They look nice, but a lot of these characters wear tunics and cloaks and such. I'm worried that no matter how much articulation they pack into the legs, they'll pretty much be static statues below the waist. So I'm hoping they use some pliable plastics. But I'm HOPING it's successful enough to at least get the full Fellowship. I am also hoping they make Eomer and Theoden in their armor because, for my money, that's the most awesome armor like...ever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite lines, along side the Armies of Middle Earth displays they produced as well. I actually have a pair of shelves still dedicated to both lines in my collection!
I can’t decide if I want to buy into those new figures or not. The orc would be worthwhile for multiples, but I’d like to see the Sauron build a figure side by side with older one.

Reaction score
My ex-wife and I use to collect all these figures and we thought they were great. We were lucky in that we ended up finding the Australian exclusives very regularly.

Back in the day I was also lucky enough to be the first to report a new variant of TTT Eomer in the half moon box. Miss these figures

Reaction score
ive been a tolkien fan since i read the lord of the rings and the silmarillion as a kid in the 80's!

the films took way too many liberties imo, and borrowed all the worst elements from the awesome bakshi cartoon. that said, the costume designs and visuals were outstanding.

i collected the toybiz line, but the scale was too big and made for awkward army building. with the number of characters in that movie, it really shouldve been done in 3 3/4.

Reaction score
I collected most of the Bridge Direct Hobbit 6" line. I thought they looked really cool. I also found this cheap True Legends Darkfire Dragon at TRU as a stand in for Smaug. Its a quality toy for the price. Lights and sounds, firing fireball, flapping wings and the saddle is removable.12845229614_e47d229f24_b.jpg