Toy Fair 2013

Reaction score
I would imagine a 6" Star Wars line to be a clone of the current Marvel Legends line. $15 figures, and maybe 4-6 characters a wave, and two waves a year.

That's just depressing. Not to mention the idea of having to "restart" a collection.

Reaction score
I would imagine a 6" Star Wars line to be a clone of the current Marvel Legends line. $15 figures, and maybe 4-6 characters a wave, and two waves a year.

That's just depressing. Not to mention the idea of having to "restart" a collection.
Yeah, I would not only pass on these, but I'd do my darndest to actively discourage anyone from purchasing them and/or find some creative way to mock them. That's right, I would waste my free time to sink a 6" line.

Reaction score
No. I'm not collecting a 6" line. I've been passing on 6" lines for years, it's why I never got into Lord of the Rings, Marvel Legends, any of the various DC stuff and stopped buying McFarlane. I don't buy 5" or 8" either...leaving out things like Halo and the Mego style stuff.

Remember when Hasbro did 6" figures last time? Mega Action? How did that work out for them...3 figures and out.

Their 12" line had several years of success and the Galactic Heroes were a hit the second time, but the track record outside of the 3.75" lines has been sketchy. Galoob did well with Micro Machines and Action Fleet but it tanked under Hasbro, they muffed the first go at Jedi Force and I don't see this new line burning it up, the 3" Unleashed went away quickly also. They've done better with stuff that's not a classic action figure like the first Unleashed statues, Fighter Pods seem to be doing something for them, Transformers Crossovers had a good run and Titanium, which wasn't an "action figure" line, are about the most successful stuff you could point out.

It's hard enough to spring for a 3.75" figure at today's prices, asking me to spend more for a larger figure that's not compatible with anything else I've bought for the last 18 years? No thanks. If Hasbro is looking to bring in new buyers, there are fans of the 6" scale out there, then I guess they'll have to try it. But I think many in the loyal collector base that have been in for a few years, at least, will not be looking to get into this scale in any significant manner.

E...

Reaction score
I could be open-minded if they are decent products and not too pricey. A lot of "ifs" and "maybes" with me. Though I can see why it wouldn't take off.

Reaction score
I, to, would be opened minded enough to say that I'd buy a 6", super articulated stormtrooper/sandtrooper, but that would be about it. I wouldn't buy any other figures because they don't fit with the 3.75" line and vehicles that I've already invested a lot of money in over the years. To me, the novelty of a 6" super-articulated stormtrooper would be cool for one purchase, but that would be the extent of my interest in the line.

Reaction score
I don't see myself collecting the 6in figures. The current scale is something that offers more for my money and given that they (Hasbro) can't even get these (3.75in scale) figures out on time suggest to me that they should be focused on fixing their issues with distrobution vs a new line of figures double in size. Also I do not understand nor follow why they need to change the packaging every year or roughly every quarter. To me that is more of a waste of money and R&D then doing them any good.

GNT

Reaction score
I wouldn't collect a 6" line if they were to start one up, even as park exclusives or whatever. I really wouldn't want another 300 or so figures in a bigger scale, as it is space is already an issue let alone having another scale to deal with :p

Reaction score
Hasbro has already stated multiple times that they'd never abandon the 4 inch figures, so we dont have to worry about that.
And since Hasbro has never "reassessed their priorities" or "reacted to the market" or "refocused the direction of the line" we can take this as gospel.

I'm not even saying that they've lied in the past, just that things with the line have been, shall we say, strange for the past year or two.

Reaction score
Hasbro says that won't abandon the 4" line, but then you know a couple Toy Fair later we will be hearing something like "We decided to phase out the collector aimed line of 4" figures because most of our sales data shows that collector prefer the 6" line...which will be going up in price to $34.99 this fall."

Reaction score
^^ Hope not.

Come on Hasbro, you promised us Mara Jade!! Forget the 6" line, give us Mara Jade for our 3 3/4" line!!

Reaction score
Hasbro's "research" tells them all sorts of crazy things. And as fans/collectors, we are expected to just accept it, regardless of how accurate or bogus as it maybe.

I mean hasbro's research shows kids are the primary buyers of the figures. How so they know "research"! I still would loooooooove to see how they come up with that. My 5 year old doesn't work. So if I buy the figure..how do they know who gets it when I walk out of the store ?:confused:

Reaction score
^^ Hope not.

Come on Hasbro, you promised us Mara Jade!! Forget the 6" line, give us Mara Jade for our 3 3/4" line!!
Why can't they just do both? If there's a market for something, why not go after it? With a flood of movies on the way, why does anyone care if other segments get spun up?

I don't get the animosity for this concept. You don't want it? Fine. Awesome. Move on down the aisle. Easier for me to find. It effectively gets me out of the way for your 4" line, so more of that for you.

The idea that this would somehow impinge on the 4" line is unfounded. The 4" Star Wars line has been going for almost 20 years now. That **** is eternal. There's a good precendent for coexistent alternate scales for action figure brands. In fact, it seems to be the rule, not the exception.

Don't bogart the toy aisle, man.

Reaction score
So, what does Hasbro do if the 3D movie releases are all cancelled?

Postpone Spring AOTC releases for Fall for a movie that now may not exist, and do what with 2014 when the only new media may, possibly, be season 6 of Clone Wars, now broadcast on Disney XD where some current cable viewers may not be able to see it anyway...

Have a fun Toy Fair, Hasbro!

E...

Reaction score
So, what does Hasbro do if the 3D movie releases are all cancelled?

Postpone Spring AOTC releases for Fall for a movie that now may not exist, and do what with 2014 when the only new media may, possibly, be season 6 of Clone Wars, now broadcast on Disney XD where some current cable viewers may not be able to see it anyway...

Have a fun Toy Fair, Hasbro!

E...
Totally fine with this. I wasn't going to see them, and I think 3D is just a desperate case grab. Just makes 2015 all the more exciting. Assuming VII actually comes out in 2015 and doesn't get bumped a year:

Could Star Wars: Episode VII be pushed back from its announced 2015 release date? - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Reaction score
Now officialy "postponed."

I probably wasn't going to see them either, but I'm more concerned with the collecting side of things and how this impacts that more than I'm concerned with what Disney/Lucasfilm is doing with their releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if Episode VII didn't actually come out in 2015 either. There's already going to be a lot of blockbuster competition that year and we've only now gotten a confirmed director. Even Summer (June/July) 2015 is a tight deadline for a film that's probably going to spend a minimum of a year in post.

E...

Reaction score
Dude this is Disney we're talking about here! They could change the earth's axis if they wanted. :p

Reaction score
Now officialy "postponed."

I probably wasn't going to see them either, but I'm more concerned with the collecting side of things and how this impacts that more than I'm concerned with what Disney/Lucasfilm is doing with their releases.

I wouldn't be surprised if Episode VII didn't actually come out in 2015 either. There's already going to be a lot of blockbuster competition that year and we've only now gotten a confirmed director. Even Summer (June/July) 2015 is a tight deadline for a film that's probably going to spend a minimum of a year in post.

E...
And I would really, really appreciate it if they wouldn't rush it out if it's not ready. If they need another year to make a better movie, I'm great with that. I've already been waiting almost 30 years now for Ep. VII... what's 365 more days at this point? :)

Reaction score
On a serious note though, I wonder if this means that we will not have to see that godawful ROTS Vader packaging scheme?

Hasbro are soooooooooo pissed off right now.......

Reaction score
Why can't they just do both? If there's a market for something, why not go after it? With a flood of movies on the way, why does anyone care if other segments get spun up?
Because if Hasbro proves one thing to you, let it be this: They can NOT handle more than one line for a series. Look no further than the bungling of Marvel Universe, Marvel Legends and the Marvel line in general. Or, the three Star Wars lines. Something WILL suffer and most likely, it will be everything. Distribution has been atrocious across the board this past year and that is not likely to change. In order to get Marvel Legends out, Marvel Universe was subject to a nearly 5 month delay where NOTHING was on the pegs. Star Wars is already suffering such a drought in most places anyway.

There's also this to consider: The future of Marvel Universe is uncertain, but the current prognosis for the movie lines like Iron Man 3 is just plain bad. We're talking Mattel Batman and Green Lantern 'Happy Meal' quality figures for the 3 3/4 line while the tooling dollars seem to be focused on the 6inch Build A Figure line. So if these do well and do better than 3 3/4, I could easily see Star Wars reverting to the Kenner era of old.

Reaction score
Because if Hasbro proves one thing to you, let it be this: They can NOT handle more than one line for a series. Look no further than the bungling of Marvel Universe, Marvel Legends and the Marvel line in general. Or, the three Star Wars lines. Something WILL suffer and most likely, it will be everything. Distribution has been atrocious across the board this past year and that is not likely to change. In order to get Marvel Legends out, Marvel Universe was subject to a nearly 5 month delay where NOTHING was on the pegs. Star Wars is already suffering such a drought in most places anyway.

There's also this to consider: The future of Marvel Universe is uncertain, but the current prognosis for the movie lines like Iron Man 3 is just plain bad. We're talking Mattel Batman and Green Lantern 'Happy Meal' quality figures for the 3 3/4 line while the tooling dollars seem to be focused on the 6inch Build A Figure line. So if these do well and do better than 3 3/4, I could easily see Star Wars reverting to the Kenner era of old.
Well, I'm okay with a return to the Kenner era, but I know I'm in a very tiny minority on that one. :)

As to not finding stuff on the pegs and Hasbro bungling multiple lines... everything - and I mean everything - from every significant action figure line in the last few years has been readily, easily available online. And generally speaking, almost everything can be had for less than the MSRP online, with patience, Google alerts, thread subscriptions and community trading.

The conversation around distribution is so tired at this point. Are most figures hard to find at major retails chains? For sure, no question. Is the $1-3 price savings nice at those store? I guess, but you still have to drive around and waste time and gas money.

I haven't gone a "toy run" in over a year now, and yet I have gotten everything I want from the last 18 months. And it was all delivered to my house.

Was it fun in 1998 to walk into Target and find exciting, new toys? Absolutely. Great memories, forever. It's just not the way it is anymore.

Reaction score
Hasbro's "research" tells them all sorts of crazy things. And as fans/collectors, we are expected to just accept it, regardless of how accurate or bogus as it maybe.

I mean hasbro's research shows kids are the primary buyers of the figures. How so they know "research"! I still would loooooooove to see how they come up with that. My 5 year old doesn't work. So if I buy the figure..how do they know who gets it when I walk out of the store ?:confused:
-Yes. Hasbro's "research" also tells them that kids simply loathe articulation and only buy the main 5 characters (and at the rate of about 12 each, apparently) They also seem to interpret sales data by pure numbers, not percentage, so if (for example) 60 out of 100 Anakins sell compared to 30 out of 30 Darth Malgus, Anakin still sold better and should be repacked again. And again. And again.

Reaction score
Blast. Was really looking forward to seeing the OT back in theaters (3D or not) before ep VII. Would have been an awesome ramp-up. Oh well. Maybe this will make Hasbro bring back TVC sooner than planned, since they no longer need to focus on one specific rerelease.

Reaction score
As to not finding stuff on the pegs and Hasbro bungling multiple lines... everything - and I mean everything - from every significant action figure line in the last few years has been readily, easily available online. And generally speaking, almost everything can be had for less than the MSRP online, with patience, Google alerts, thread subscriptions and community trading.

I'm sure the execs and shareholders of Hasbro would be tickled pink to hear this. Online by case, google alerts, thread subscriptions and community is the really the only way to get a mass produced product. If this isn't a sign that the SW(and Marvel) line hasn't been bungled I don't know what is.

RealDub, I agree with you that someone with the means and patience can collect the line as a whole if they still want to at this point. Problem is many are giving up and that is a major problem. Maybe the sequel trilogy will reinvigorate the line as whole, and I hope it does. But I really don't think much changes outside of movie years. I would be fine with that too as it has been a great run

Reaction score
I have a terrible feeling that this line has completely lost it's focus, especially in light of the new movies. It feels kind directionless right now. Has since they revealed that the last line of vintage would be online only. It's like they just threw their hands up like this "It's **** this **** o'clock" meme and just decided to throw crap at a wall to see what sticks.

Reaction score
With the breadth of the recent Sansweet book, I'm beginning to think he knew this was coming! The new Tarkin is about all that's missing. :twisted:

Reaction score
So what about the OT in 3D?
And the accompanying figures!?!?!?
Since the OT was never technically announced, nothing? It's just probably not coming. If they cancelled, sorry, postponed, the PT releases which probably already had some work done on them, we have to assume that the OT is out also. Until we hear different.

E...

Reaction score
With the news of the indefinite postponement of Ep2 and Ep3 in 3D, I think watching Hasbro's Star Wars presentation at Toy Fair this year is going to be like driving past a train wreck. I'll be watching out of pure morbid fascination. :grin:

Reaction score
Hasbro must be getting pretty frustrated with the change in 3D release date and now the cancellation announcement. I wonder if one of the execs at Disney is a collector and figured turnabout is fair play! :D

Reaction score
If nothing else, Toy Fair will be interesting in terms of what Hasbro will have to say about the future, now that the 3D conversions have been postponed. Hey, the GI Joe figures still came out when the movie was postponed.

Reaction score
Perhaps it will get postponed!:twisted:
I foresee lots of SW Angry Birds and the "best seller" TVC figures at TF2013 and that's about it.

At this point, if Hasbro produces even ONE new toy that I actually want to buy in 2013, then I will be extremely surprised.

However, I just realized that Hasbro is now free to dedicate the entirety 2013 to the 30th anniversary of ROTJ. I'm hoping to see that.

Reaction score
if Hasbro produces even ONE new toy that I actually want to buy in 2013, then I will be extremely surprised.

I wonder?

• [*=1]

• Jorge Gonzalez
    My guess is that for figures is bad news. Since Hasbro probably had already planned figures releases along with movies. Now who know what they'll release. Probably the only thing will get till Fall will be Movie Heroes.

(Edited by author 1 hour ago)

• [*=1]
    paul@jeditemplearchives.com, Mucho grande Star Wars collector!
    I can tell you that this isn't the case at all. We are going to all be pleasantly surprised....

Reaction score
A grim day for Star Wars fans. I bet Hasbro's marketing team had a meltdown. Sure didn't look as if Lucasfilm kept them up to speed on this development, with all that product representing the theatrical re-releases starting to hit shelves.