Toy Fair 2013

Reaction score
Johnnie Walker - Black.

As for Toy Fair, I'm expecting Hasbro to be grilled by most sites that are attending, after the distribution mess that was 2012. During the Q&A session and the interviews, I hope the sites leave the softballs at home and get some real answers.

Reaction score
I prefer Bailey's with my hot chocolate. Concerning a Q&A at Toy Fair, yes it would be nice if those asking the questions would actually ask the questions that need answering, not a bunch of questions out of left field.

Reaction score
While your comments make sense and are logical i dont understand where you get this info and you have never proven your theory neither. If Lucasfilm and not Hasbro controls their package then why did they cancel BAD2? Surely that BAD2 had more appeal visually than the new Kiddie packaging that we will have for a while.

I know you will argue with me and you have said it many times. I think you have some truth in what your saying but not all of it is right. Lucasfilm probably dictates a direction and approves the packaging but it think its ultimately up to Hasbro's final decision as to what they want to do with the brand.

Imagine if we go by your logic and if Lucasfilm would have wanted every bit of merchandise ever produced from 1977 up to now controlled by them for the "looks" i think a lot of companies would have not participated in marketing-profiteering from the movie, every t-shirt would have been black and white, every little thing would have been black and white. So please if you can prove that Lucasfilm completely dictates everything at Hasbro, come out clean, state your source and shut me up...

Not Even people in the "real Know" have stated that Lucasfilm is behind all of this. The name and blame always goes to Hasbro. Explain that. I am sure that if the people in the know , knew that Lucasfilm was behind all these crappy packaging, i am sure it would have been mentioned already.
When you go into Toys-R-Us or Target and see an aisle full of Hasbro toys with Darth Maul graphics on them and then walk over a couple aisles and see Lego
packaging with the same image and science toys from Uncle Milton and candy for Galerie and plush from Comic Images, do you think that Hasbro designed that and Lego just though it was so cool they'd use it too?

No, the imagery was approved by Lucas Licensing and made available for all the companies to use in their packaging and advertising. Hasbro doesn't even
come up with marketing designs, it's a company called Pilot.

Lucas Licensing makes style guides available to licensees so that they all have standard graphics, fonts and layout styles which can be used across multiple product lines by multiple companies.

And FYI, Hasbro doesn't own any of the copyrighted and trade marked images it uses, Lucasfilm owns it all and by buying a license, they have the ability to
use it. That includes the Vintage Collection card back layout and the film-captured images you love so much. If Lucas Licensing decides to do an update to the graphics, the various license holders go along with it.

And it's not just packaging, Gentle Giant, Hasbro, Lego...everything they do has to be approved by Lucas Licensing. That's why you'll sometimes see a photo of a bust or toy with "Pending Licensor Approval" printed on it...it's proposed by the company but not yet approved by Lucas Licensing. If, for some reason, Lucas Licensing doesn't approve what's shown, it won't get made. Ask any GG collectors about the missing R2-D2 statue that's been MIA for over 5 years, due in part to approval and part to manufacturing.

Hasbro can propose any figure, sculpt it and, using approved graphics, come up with a packaging format that ultimately has to be approved. If Lucas
Licensing says no, it doesn't go to production.

I've actually been involved with having a licensed product made and we had to submit art proposals to Lucas Licensing for approval. Some of the ideas we
submitted were not approved and we had to modify our designs until it was, otherwise we never could have had it made with approval.

Can any of us actually explain Build-a-Droid being cancelled? No, other than what Hasbro told us which was that the cost didn't work. That doesn't mean that Lucas Licensing nixed it, that means that Hasbro decided they couldn't go into production with the approved plan so the stopped it. As far as I know, once something is approved, that doesn't mean the licensee can't stop production on their own.

E...

Reaction score
When you go into Toys-R-Us or Target and see an aisle full of Hasbro toys with Darth Maul graphics on them and then walk over a couple aisles and see Lego
packaging with the same image and science toys from Uncle Milton and candy for Galerie and plush from Comic Images, do you think that Hasbro designed that and Lego just though it was so cool they'd use it too?
Yeah, it's pretty easy to prove that Lucasfilm dictates the package design.... just look at the package designs:

A Hasbro class II vehicle toy from 2012:

A Lego set from 2012:

The Fine Molds Naboo Fighter model kit from 2012 (Fine Molds is a Japanese company that sells model kits exclusively in Japan - even though a few American-owned stores do import them):

A Kotobukiya Darth Vader room light from 2012:

Uncle Milton Star Wars "Gravity *****" from 2012:

Every single one of those packages is using the 2012 Darth Maul design. That pretty much proves that Lucasfilm dictates the appearance of Star Wars merchandise across the board each year.

Also, I don't see how BaD being cancelled is somehow proof that Lucasfilm does NOT control the card designs. That conclusion doesn't even make sense to me.

Ty

Reaction score
I have a long memory and I remember them specifically saying for the past 3 big events "just wait for the next event, we've got BIG things to reveal!" At this point, I've been expecting BIG things from TF13 for a year, they better not disappoint. If there's no Cantina creatures or Jabba dudes, I'm going to be really really mad. Like the signature says Tzizvvt, Reegesk, Sim Aloo and a new Saelt Marae now!!!

Reaction score
The Fine Molds Naboo Fighter model kit from 2012 (Fine Molds is a Japanese company that sells model kits exclusively in Japan - even though a few American-owned stores do import them):
Now that is one dynamic way to advertise your product! B)

Bring on February 10-13th!

Reaction score
Now that is one dynamic way to advertise your product! B)

Bring on February 10-13th!
That thing does look pretty cool, but it's got to be tiny at 1:72 scale.

Maybe Mattel should have bought the license.
That would be an interesting trade-off, considering Mattel's Dark Knight Rises toy line. Would we want 4-5 points-of-articulation figures that are plentiful in stores and under $5? Or super-articulated figures that are $10 and rarely, if ever, show up in stores?

GNT

Reaction score
That would be an interesting trade-off, considering Mattel's Dark Knight Rises toy line. Would we want 4-5 points-of-articulation figures that are plentiful in stores and under $5? Or super-articulated figures that are $10 and rarely, if ever, show up in stores?
Honestly I'd stick with Hasbro, Mattel's basic Batman line is horrible and if they started making figures we'd never get any background ones.

Reaction score
Ok going to throw this one out there for everyone to discuss while I gather more intel. Super-articulated, 6-inch scale line with AMAZING likenesses and detail. What do you think? Would you be in or is it an easy pass?

Reaction score
Ok going to throw this one out there for everyone to discuss while I gather more intel. Super-articulated, 6-inch scale line with AMAZING likenesses and detail. What do you think? Would you be in or is it an easy pass?
Pass. I've spent too many years and too much money building up my collection of 3 3/4 figures, vehicles and accessories. I don't really want to start all over with larger, more expensive figures that are totally out of scale with every other figure, vehicle and accessory I own. I don't care how good they look.

Reaction score
Pass. I've spent too many years and too much money building up my collection of 3 3/4 figures, vehicles and accessories. I don't really want to start all over with larger, more expensive figures that are totally out of scale with every other figure, vehicle and accessory I own. I don't care how good they look.
Agree 100%. Not starting again, I like what I have.

Reaction score
Go on then, share, don't just dangle the bait!:grin:
I've been working on this for a few weeks now. I keep making progress and then hit a closed door so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (or down from the response to the notion, LOL). Are any of you guys Marvel Legends collectors? Do you know if Gentle Giant plays any role in the development of any of the Marvel Legends figures? That piece of the puzzle could reveal a lot.

Reaction score
Absolutely easy pass for me. Just not interested in starting a new scale. I know Adam Pawlus has been pushing for this for awhile, though...

Reaction score
(Since I can't edit... Sorry for the double post)

Thinking a little more about it, as a sub-line, I would be fine with this. I might even buy a few of the aliens if they made them.
However, if this is Hasbro's exciting new collector venture and they are considering replacing the 3 3/4" line with 6" figures, I would honestly be very angry. I hope I am overreacting, but I know that there was a rumor mid last year that posited that Hasbro could be leaving the 3 3/4" line behind. I didn't pay much mind to it then, but this made me worry a bit...

Reaction score
I would get(assuming they turned out well) Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Bespin Luke and DS2 Luke. That's about it. Oh and either pt or OT Yoda. Whichever is made first.

Reaction score
To me its not Star Wars unless its 3 3/4 , same goes for GI JOE .

Reaction score
A sub-line would be ok. I might pick up a few of my favorite characters. I hope they don't abandon the 3 3/4 line. I'm hoping the new movies breath some life back into the line. New characters to add to the collection I already have, and bring back "normal" sized vehicles.

Reaction score
I'd be in, but ONLY for the most recognizable characters. I'd like to see Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, R2, C3PO, Stormie, Fett.

If Hasbro goes this route, I expect we'd only get 3 figs per wave (likely) until they at least see if it's going to sell. If they decide to do more, then I'd possibly be interested in more, but probably not all those background characters we've gotten over the past decade...

Reaction score
An easy pass for me. I like how things are with the figures and vehicles.

Ty

Reaction score
Definite pass on anyone else having the license and definite pass on a 6" line. They'd have to make thousands of figures to get up to speed with where 3 3/4 is.. just wouldn't make sense. Also, who the heck has the room for that?! LOL

Reaction score
This would be an absolute pass for me. I've spent plenty of money to acquire characters like Bane, Revan, Krayt, HK-50 and I could not leave those guys to collect a line of figures that are completely out of scale with them. Add to the high possibility of having to wait years for new-scale versions of those characters and it's an easy decision not to collect those.

Reaction score
If they abandoned the 3 3/4 line, I'd throw in the towel and call it quits. No hesitation whatsoever.
Yeah, and not to mention that these larger figures would also require higher prices...not interested! I really think the issues of late with hasbro such as the cancellation of BAD are probably due to Disney acquiring the rights to Star Wars, I mean Disney is probably about to lay down the law, which is probably not good news for Hasbro. I know it will be some time before Disney has complete control over the Star Wars merchandise, but I am Hasbro is wondering what is going to happen, maybe they are collaborating with Disney about what direction to take the Star Wars line in. I just hope we get some good news soon, and I most certainly look forward to the return of TVC!

Reaction score
My first reaction is No, thank you. I'll stick to 3 3/4".

Then again, I'd have to see the finished product. Detail, articulation, character selection would all be important... but not as important as price. I honestly can't afford the $10 figures as it is.

Reaction score
3 3/4 or bust!! The toys I played with as a kid and those I collect as an adult are all that size. It will suck but if big H goes bigger scale it makes it easier to finish all the holes in my collection with past stuff without worrying what is the latest release date for the newest case out there.

Reaction score
Very easy pass for me as well. I've also invested a lot of time, money, & effort on the 3 3/4 figures, and don't want to spend any $ on an "in-between" new scale of figures. I use the word "in between" because the size is in between the 3 3/4 figures & the 12" (or 1/6) figure line(s) (And, while I'm on the subject of the 12" lines, I consider these completely separate & mutually exclusive from the 3 3/4 line).

And, this is one of the reasons I never really collected the ST figure lines. In most of their '90's-on retail lines from Playmates? and maybe another company (both the TV series & movies lines), they've had three distinct scales: 4"?!, 8" (clothed) or/and 6", and 12". I think this was also the case with the 2009 film as well. Sure, in some cases they look nice, but there's no way I can get all three lines, and it's tough to make a decision which one to collect. Just my .02....

Reaction score
Hasbro has already stated multiple times that they'd never abandon the 4 inch figures, so we dont have to worry about that. If they want to waste time and tooling dollars on a new line of 6 inch figures - they should be ready to explain to their shareholders why another failure occurred.

Reaction score
On the subject of a potential super-articulated 6" line, I would be on the fence about it. If the detail, sculpting and accuracy of the figures doesn't blow me away right out of the starting gate, then it's highly unlikely that I would support the line in any way. I would be interested in seeing 6" versions of OT trooper characters like Stormtroopers, TIE Pilots and Biker Scouts; but even if they looked awesome, I would still be 50/50 on whether I wanted to buy them or not.

Reaction score
Just a limited run(in the sense of characters being made) of the most popular characters would be cool. Basically anyone who wields a light saber and troopers would be good for this line.

Reaction score
Thinking about restarting the figure line in a new scale just made me feel 80 years old. I'm just so tired......so.....very.....tired.

Reaction score
Basically anyone who wields a light saber and troopers would be good for this line.
That's the main reason that I wouldn't want to see a new 6" line, because I think that's all they would do.

If it stayed a sub-line, then I would be fine with that; but I think that's far too shallow of a character selection for it to completely replace the 3.75" line.