TONKA: Willow

Reaction score
I was at a yard sale last year and found the green Willow. This made me both happy and sad. Sad because i never found any main characters when they were released. A month or so later i saw a box of toys at another sale and plucked a Madmartigan for a quarter. A year just passed and there was another sale at the same house. I said to my girlfriend"this is where i got that Willow figure last year..." Well there weren't any more there this time out BUT a few houses down was another sale and i picked up a whole bunch of damaged card figures. There were 11 and i got them all for 10 dollars. There were duplicates but i said why not? The guy was impressed that we knew the movie and more surprised that we both love it. Some of the cards were water damaged and smelled bad. We freed all of the ones that weren't duplicates except Madmartigan which mine had a bent sword. Now i wish i had left him sealed because when i got home i noticed it was an error figure. He only has black and silver armor! Its kind of cool because i posed him with green Willow. If someone could pm me how to post pictures I would love to share. Now i am only missing death dog and 3 others as well as the horseback figures.

That's a heck of a Yard Sale haul on all fronts! Lucky you, I think they are charming figures in their own right and from such an excellent movie.

Reaction score
a month ago I was digging through some old boxes and found the Willow movie figures that I have had since i was a kid. Kael figure is still in great shape but the Aerik figure that i still have its in decenet shape but his sword the blade is bent/curved due to it being in an old cardboard box stored in a closet during bunch of cold winter and hot summer weather days

Reaction score
I don’t know they always seemed like over glorified D and D miniatures to me.
The lack of any articulation kinda sucked, but once you got past that and appreciated them as a kind of advanced figurine, they were pretty charming. I liked that they came with bases and were at least in action poses. Definitely a very forgotten line, but it was fully-fledged and had all the good stuff. Though they missed out in Finn Rizell and the little twin guys. I'd love it if there were some unmade Willow toys that Funko could pick up and do like the Alien line.

Reaction score
I dont think little figurines of the two Brownies would have worked out since the Brownies were tiny.
I think they could have if they shared the same base and included the cat or something. They could have gotten creative! Still crazy they didn't make Razell, they made Bavmorda.

Reaction score
they should have made the figurines of Meegosh, Vonkar, the high alwdin and Wilow's family which his family would have been a 3 pack

Reaction score
Good call on Meegosh, I thought they made the High Aldwin though? Billy Barty is a classic!
There's a High Aldwin alright. I'm sure I've got six or seven of them here somewhere *rummages*

Funny you should mention Billy Barty, I was just going back and forth with a seller on ebay for a MOTU Classics Gwildor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's a High Aldwin alright. I'm sure I've got six or seven of them here somewhere *rummages*

Funny you should mention Billy Barty, I was just going back and forth with a seller on ebay for a MOTU Classics Gwildor.
Make sure you get the cosmic key! lol

Reaction score
I still need the darned baby. anyone have a spare Willow with Alura? or just the baby?

Reaction score
Well, here's me with Warwick at SWC in 2005 or so. He was on stage and I was standing in front of it.

And here are a few of the toy pics from earlier in this thread...

That was the overview from 2006 or so, when I still lacked a Chase Chariot and a Mangonel.

Green-shirt Willow was the first piece I ever bought, from the old Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine sales pages, before it became Star Wars Insider (which I've subsequently written for on two occasions, about Star Tours and the SW Holiday Special.)

The plastic mountain is not an actual Willow toy but is by a company called Tim Mee.

Bavmorda (casting a very Batman-esque shadow) squares off against her daughter Sorsha while the blue-shirt variant of Willow tries to rescue Elora Danan.

The two-headed Eborsisk Dragon (named after movie critics Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel) was the second Willow toy I ever bought. It included its original box and I got it for $20. At one time it was rumored to have never actually been released, but that was untrue.

General Kael was also named after a movie critic (Pauline Kael). Here he and Madmartigan fight on horseback. Their steeds look identical from this angle, but despite sharing the same mold, they do have distinct decos.

Each war vehicle includes a foot soldier in a variant deco. In this case, the 'Rebel Soldier' on the left is the Sears variant, and the one on the right is the regular carded version.

Once upon a time, I wondered if the Troll might have been played by director Ron Howard's brother Clint, who often cameos in Ron's films.

Funnily enough, I would later learn that for one blue-screen shot, the Troll costume was actually worn by someone I know!

Most folks know Robin Shelby as Slimer in Ghostbusters 2 (credited back then as Robin Navlyt) but she actually got that 1989 gig because someone at ILM remembered her doing a rigorous wire-work costume shot the year before, where the Troll gets torn in half by the Eborsisk.

[The Slimer suit had been made specifically for someone else, but a scheduling shuffle meant that person was unavailable, and when they tried to think of someone the same tiny size who could handle the suit work, Robin was a perfect fit in more ways than one.]

In December of 2006, I got the Chase Chariot, leaving only the Mangonel to elude my completism for another ten and a half years.

I had to purchase two broken Mangonels before I finally had the last variant figure in April 2014.

He came in an eBay lot that cost $40, shipped, and included a second Chariot, a second Catapult that is now too weak to launch its boulder, and a second Mangonel still missing a wheel and still no projectiles.

And now, three years later, I pieced together three broken Mangonels to make one fully functional, complete one.

Alas, the partially sonic-welded construction of the toy design means that straight screwdrivers like these cannot reach two of the screws necessary for removing the top.

But I live just minutes from a Lowe's, and I wandered the tool aisle until I found what I needed.

For $4.21, I purchased a trio of 'offset screwdrivers'.

I practiced disassembling and reassembling the firing mechanism of the no-front-wheels one before opening up the four-wheels Mangonel, to make sure I'd be able to get everything back in. Compared to a Kenner TIE Fighter when I was eight years old, reassembling this was a snap.

Looks like someone tried to force a projectile-- which I just noticed are called Battering Rams on the box art of punk_pat's prototype box on the previous page-- in when it wasn't seated over the post, bending the post to one side.

Good one on top, bad one on bottom.

The switches are actually from the no-rear-wheel Mangonel. They were a little bit less play-worn than those of the other two, and gave it less of a hairtrigger. Without them, the rightmost Battering Ram always wanted to fire as soon as you let go of it.

To reiterate, the finished toy uses the body of the four-wheeled one, the spring mechanism of a second, and the firing 'switches' of the third.

Even though I had to open the new one up twice to optimize the function, it was sort of neat that it required parts of all three to work perfectly.

I hope to haul out the entire collection and take a complete group shot soon.

Alex
met Warwick at Celebration 8 back in 2017. I was walking back to the parking lot from a party I attended and saw him in a scooter andhe stopped and took a picture with me and a few other fans.

Reaction score
I collect WILLOW too. I have the "safety recall" WIllow with Alora Danon, both loose and carded. I was lucky enough to have a mom who mailed in ceral tops to get me a green Willow as a kid.

I think the 2 brownies shoulda been attached to one base and sold with an accessory such as a medieval tent.

My ideal wave 2: Razzel, Kaya witha kid hanging off her, Meegosh, rebel archer, Nockmar archer, evil sage. This makes me wanna setup toy diorams and snap pics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My mom sent away for TWO of those Willows: one for me and one for my brother. They were lost to time unfortunately and I also had the Nockmar Warrior, but I've since gotten the green Willow again and it was in its original mailer bag! I was pumped...definitely would like to collect more of this underrated and fun line. I get that they are static figures, but for such a great fantasy film, it's awesome to have proper figures to have to remember it, even if they just stand there. Some great movies got ZERO toys, so I'm not complaining. It kinda works for what was happening in the movie.

Reaction score
The line worked because it was cheap enough for kids to collect armies of guys.

@SaberSonic83 I will go through my collection and see what I can part with. You want loose or MOC?

Reaction score
Fun story about that mail away green shirt willow. 14 or 15 years ago, on ebay, I bought like three hundred of them at auction for I forget how much but I know it was less than $80 shipped. Over the years I mostly gave them away to people as promotional items for knowing me and to raise Willow awareness, I swear I'm not kidding, lol. People got a big kick out of it. People would ask for extras to give other people. In fact I know for a fact there's dozens of them in various offices on desks all over the state.
Three or four years ago I gave away the last 40 or 50 to trick or treaters (two pieces of candy and one Willow. I was the cool house.) Most of the parents were more excited about the Willows than the kids.

Reaction score
I have been trying to get willow with the baby for awhile. Anyone have a spare baby even?

Reaction score
All i need now are the horse riders i dont have any of them. But the prices on ebay are way out of line. They are priced as these are old therefore valuable. I think only the eborsisk and exclusives are actually worth a sum.

Reaction score
All i need now are the horse riders i dont have any of them. But the prices on ebay are way out of line. They are priced as these are old therefore valuable. I think only the eborsisk and exclusives are actually worth a sum.
And I can remember when the Eborsisk was that sad boring toy that filled the remote aisle of Hills.

I have spare horses and riders. Here's what you do. Buy a big lot of figures with some incomplete riders in it, and we'll trade duplicate parts.

Reaction score
And I can remember when the Eborsisk was that sad boring toy that filled the remote aisle of Hills.

I have spare horses and riders. Here's what you do. Buy a big lot of figures with some incomplete riders in it, and we'll trade duplicate parts.
What do you need? I know i have a few spares.