TONKA: Willow

Reaction score
Re: Willow toys by Tonka

Hey Guys. I have no idea if there is a large Willow following or not. I was cleaning out some of my keepsakes in my numerous tubs and came across four carded Willow figures with horses that have clear bubbles and are in pretty good shape. I found General Kael with horse, Madmartigan with horse, Nockmarr Warrior with horse, and Airk Thaughbaer with horse. Are these figures rare or desirable? Are they worth anything? I know that the movie was well liked, but haven't heard much about the figures. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Are they worth anything?

[/QUOTE]

Not really, I'm afraid. If it's any indication, I bought the full set of 17 for $9.99. You might be able to get a couple of bucks a piece, but probably no more than that. Really the only items that go for more than nickels are the accessories.

John

Reaction score

I bought 418 Willow figures on ebay a few months back. It was something ridiculous like 350 of the fast food willows (green shirt) and then an assortment of on the card figures. I got the whole lot for fifty or sixty bucks. I just couldn't pass up the bargain. I always leave a couple willow's with the tip at restaurants.

The rest every so often I'll just grab a handful and pass them out to people I know. "you know me, and here's one of the benefits of knowing me"

I dunno, to me its pretty funny.

Reaction score
Re: Anyone here collect \'88 Willow toys by Tonka?

This is so awesome. I had no idea figures from Willow existed.

Reaction score
Sorry for the necro-post everyone, but I was amazed last night to see one of my 7-year-old photos from this thread pop up in a friend's newsfeed on Facebook last night, shared from the Willow Movie page.

Had to go searching on here to find the rest of the pics.

By the way, I have since acquired a Mangonel, the last of the three rare Sears sets for this line, but it's unfortunately not mint. It was broken and I believe missing one piece. Also missing the variant figure, I think. I got it a couple of Christmases back, just never got around to photographing it.

Funnily enough, the Mangonel and the Catapult share several pieces, mold-wise, so I may put the top of the Mangonel onto the Catapult to take some new pictures of it.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
this is great, i remembered having these as a child. it was a distant memory, as if unreal, but seeing this thread confirms it! thanks for the pictures and story.

Reaction score
Another year, another Willow piece to check off my wish list...

I won an eBay lot of broken Willow pieces, for less than $40 shipped, which gave me another partial Mangonel... but most importantly I now have its exclusive figure.

He's a variant Nockmaar Warrior. All three of the Sears-exclusive war machines included a different-deco version of a generic soldier character.

I used parts from both broken Mangonels to take the photo below.

Unfortunately I still don't have the three projectiles that came with the Mangonel. So my collection is still incomplete, but I'm tantalizingly closer now.

This next photo isn't mine, I saved it from an auction listing... it's a pristine Mangonel that sold on eBay last October for $290. I have included it just to show the projectiles.

If you guys see any of those in a bin full of loose toys somewhere, nab them!

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, unreal that Willow stuff goes for that much. I guess the more time that passes, the more everyone realizes how rare it gets. I only ever had a dark warrior and a mail away Willow with the variant green shirt, which I loved. Def. think it's a cool collection of toys, even if they have no articulation and require bases to stand correctly. The accessories like this launcher are always cool.

I myself am trying to piece together a nice Hook collection. I got a Battle Sword at a great price with a box, so I was pumped about that, but the other role play items are ridiculously expensive and hard to come by. I imagine it's much the same for Willow.

Do you know if there were ever any role play Willow items like a wand or Martigan sword?

Reaction score
I don't recall Tonka or other companies producing any role-play stuff for Willow.

But I remember finding a tree root in my parents' backyard that looked exactly like Cherlindrea's wand, the one Willow carries throughout the movie and then gives to Fin Raziel.

I kept that thing on a shelf with my Willow toys for ages. Wonder whatever happened to it?

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fellow Willow fans! Does anybody have any information on the below item? I purchased it believing it to be unproduced, prototype packaging...

Thanks for any input.
Ed

Reaction score
How much did it cost you? If you look at the entire previous page you can see pics from another member that has it loose out of the box, so it was definitely produced as a toy.

Reaction score
Yes I know it's a produced toy but I believe it was only ever released through Sears, packaged in a brown cardboard box with no artwork on it. My theory is that Tonka planned to release this toy in this packaging to match the rest of the Willow line but as popularity waned, they cancelled the idea. Would love to find out more details about this item. I paid a pretty penny!

Cheers,
Ed

How much did it cost you? If you look at the entire previous page you can see pics from another member that has it loose out of the box, so it was definitely produced as a toy.

Reaction score
Gotcha! Yeah I did know there were a few Sears exclusives with regards to Willow, so that would make sense. It's funny because I grew up with it, had it on VHS and watched it frequently, but I only ever "bought" a Nockmar Warrior and my brother and I both sent away for a Mail-Away Willow from a cereal box ad I think. Each of us got one, but other than that, I don't ever remember seeing these in stores much, which is a bummer. I must have seen the Warrior guy to buy him, but I have a feeling that he was probably one of the only cool characters left on the pegs. I wanted Mad Martigan!

Reaction score
Hi Punk Pat,

I remember watching that auction, congrats on winning it. Like you, I was interested in it in the hopes of it being a legitimate piece of prototype packaging, but the provenance was too sketchy for me to shell out that kind of money. For what it's worth, it certainly looks legit, but I've been fooled by fan-made packaging before.

The same seller had at least one other piece of prototype Willow packaging, if I recall correctly, and also had a loose test-shot of the Mangonel in off-production colors. All of them went for 'pretty pennies'. Did you get all of them, or just this one?

Also, I inquired with the seller if the prototype packaging actually contained a Mangonel toy, but he said he'd never opened the box to check, and that seemed a little suspicious to me.

So what was inside? Was there a toy, or just an empty box?

Alex

Reaction score
Hi Alex

I won 3 of the Willow prototype auctions. Unfortunately the seller made a mistake and shipped the first shot of the Mangonel to somebody else so I missed out on that which I was more than a little annoyed about. However I was absolutely thrilled to have purchased both the Mangonel & the Chase chariot in (which I believe to be) prototype, unproduced packaging. The Mangonel is taped sealed on one side, the other side has been opened. Inside is a 100% complete, unused (assumed normal production) toy. I am 100% sure of the legitimacy of the item.

Extra photos of the packaging:

I also bought the chase chariot which is MISB. I would like to take a look inside the box to see if it is a production toy or a prototype but I want to maintain it as it is.

I was in a good position as had done business with the seller before and had great service & products. Along with the Willow items I also purchased prototype items for other toy lines including Ghostbusters. The language barrier was frustrating as I’d love to find out the full story behind his significant find. He had prototypes from several lines, a real treasure trove. It was a bit of a gamble but I’m happy I did!

Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Ed,

What types of Ghostbuster prototypes did you get? I saw they had some pretty cool role play stuff slated for a toy magazine at one point and also an Egon lab. You didn't get any of those by chance did you?

Reaction score
Hi Saber

Unfortunately I didn’t get anything as cool as that sounds! I purchased a Peter Venkman item which I believe is first shot figure mock up. I’d put a photo up but it’s in storage at the moment. I should have bid higher on a couple of things… Always the way!

Ed

Reaction score
Love the Willow line. I have the whole collection including the Sears exclusives. Great prototype packaging pieces you have.

Reaction score
Dusting off this old thread. I finally got a complete Mangonel the other day. I couldn't believe the Buy It Now auction was still up for such a low price when I checked my email Followed Searches, so I jumped on it.

This was my third time buying one. The first was missing a rear wheel, so I got it very cheap. The second was purchased in a lot for $40 shipped-- including a Chase Chariot and a Catapult-- but that one was missing a front wheel, and I had hoped I could swap the axles out, but there was no way to do so without damaging the toys. (The second one did come with the variant figure, though.)

This new one was complete with figure, all three projectiles, all four wheels intact, and even the brown Sears box.

Alas, it had a bent firing mechanism.

Soon I will share more pics and video of the repair procedure, but in a nutshell, I took the good mechanism out of one, the switches out of the second, and put them in the body of the third.

So I finally have a complete, fully functional Mangonel... which also means I now have the entire collection.

Journey's End. The circle is complete.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very cool Alex! Congrats, I can imagine it feels awesome to legitimately own every toy ever made for an entire line. Cheers my friend!!

Reaction score
Yep... and it only took me almost three decades! LOL

Actually, I didn't start tracking them down for many years. My first purchase was the Willow figure sold in a Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine ad pages. Second item was a boxed Eborsisk for twenty dollars.

Over the years, I got as many of the rest of them for dirt cheap as I could.

Only the Mangonel eluded me for so long.

Alex

Reaction score
That's Awesome Alex.
Now we just need Super7 to make some Willow figures as well ;)

Reaction score
Bite your tongue!

I'm already going crazy trying to complete their Dark Crystal line. Too many exclusives, impossible to find.

Also, I looked back over this thread and just realized all the photo links of mine are dead. (As are several links people provided to Willow reference websites, sadly.)

Thankfully, a few years ago I grabbed all the pics of mine and re-saved them to my Facebook albums. I'll try to share some of them soon, but being FB pics, they won't stay long. Maybe I can upload them here.

I also plan to drag the whole collection out now that it's complete and take new pics with my better camera.

It's amazing to look at the dates of the posts and see that I began this thread eleven years ago.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't post over here often but saw this had been bumped. I never got these figures but would love to see pics and learn what variants there are. I will read this thread in more depth as I only read the last few entries since they were from 2017. I loved the movie and Warwick Davis also played my favorite all time star wars character (one of the reasons I even have star wars figures) wicket.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, here's me with Warwick at SWC in 2005 or so. He was on stage and I was standing in front of it.

And here are a few of the toy pics from earlier in this thread...

That was the overview from 2006 or so, when I still lacked a Chase Chariot and a Mangonel.

Green-shirt Willow was the first piece I ever bought, from the old Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine sales pages, before it became Star Wars Insider (which I've subsequently written for on two occasions, about Star Tours and the SW Holiday Special.)

The plastic mountain is not an actual Willow toy but is by a company called Tim Mee.

Bavmorda (casting a very Batman-esque shadow) squares off against her daughter Sorsha while the blue-shirt variant of Willow tries to rescue Elora Danan.

The two-headed Eborsisk Dragon (named after movie critics Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel) was the second Willow toy I ever bought. It included its original box and I got it for $20. At one time it was rumored to have never actually been released, but that was untrue.

General Kael was also named after a movie critic (Pauline Kael). Here he and Madmartigan fight on horseback. Their steeds look identical from this angle, but despite sharing the same mold, they do have distinct decos.

Each war vehicle includes a foot soldier in a variant deco. In this case, the 'Rebel Soldier' on the left is the Sears variant, and the one on the right is the regular carded version.

Once upon a time, I wondered if the Troll might have been played by director Ron Howard's brother Clint, who often cameos in Ron's films.

Funnily enough, I would later learn that for one blue-screen shot, the Troll costume was actually worn by someone I know!

Most folks know Robin Shelby as Slimer in Ghostbusters 2 (credited back then as Robin Navlyt) but she actually got that 1989 gig because someone at ILM remembered her doing a rigorous wire-work costume shot the year before, where the Troll gets torn in half by the Eborsisk.

[The Slimer suit had been made specifically for someone else, but a scheduling shuffle meant that person was unavailable, and when they tried to think of someone the same tiny size who could handle the suit work, Robin was a perfect fit in more ways than one.]

In December of 2006, I got the Chase Chariot, leaving only the Mangonel to elude my completism for another ten and a half years.

I had to purchase two broken Mangonels before I finally had the last variant figure in April 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpuiSDzmnE

He came in an eBay lot that cost $40, shipped, and included a second Chariot, a second Catapult that is now too weak to launch its boulder, and a second Mangonel still missing a wheel and still no projectiles.

And now, three years later, I pieced together three broken Mangonels to make one fully functional, complete one.

Alas, the partially sonic-welded construction of the toy design means that straight screwdrivers like these cannot reach two of the screws necessary for removing the top.

But I live just minutes from a Lowe's, and I wandered the tool aisle until I found what I needed.

For $4.21, I purchased a trio of 'offset screwdrivers'.

I practiced disassembling and reassembling the firing mechanism of the no-front-wheels one before opening up the four-wheels Mangonel, to make sure I'd be able to get everything back in. Compared to a Kenner TIE Fighter when I was eight years old, reassembling this was a snap.

Looks like someone tried to force a projectile-- which I just noticed are called Battering Rams on the box art of punk_pat's prototype box on the previous page-- in when it wasn't seated over the post, bending the post to one side.

Good one on top, bad one on bottom.

The switches are actually from the no-rear-wheel Mangonel. They were a little bit less play-worn than those of the other two, and gave it less of a hairtrigger. Without them, the rightmost Battering Ram always wanted to fire as soon as you let go of it.

To reiterate, the finished toy uses the body of the four-wheeled one, the spring mechanism of a second, and the firing 'switches' of the third.

Even though I had to open the new one up twice to optimize the function, it was sort of neat that it required parts of all three to work perfectly.

https://www.facebook.com/alex.newborn/videos/1337945839652309/

I hope to haul out the entire collection and take a complete group shot soon.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Killer collection man! That castle is a nice random touch, kind of a bummer there was never a Bavmorda Castle or Razell island playset. It also would have been awesome to get those two little twin guys in some form, like the size of the Galoob Star Wars line figures.

Reaction score
"Bavmorda Castle"... that reminds me. When my local TRU was going out of business many years ago (primarily because I boycotted them... they had no idea who they were messing with), I went in and loaded up on clearance toys... including some kind of castle. I got it with the intention of trying it out with the Willow toys, but have no idea where I put it. Something else to look for.

~~~

More pics of some items in my collection.

The Troll on the Tim Mee mountain set in 2006.

If the bent sword of my equestrian Airk Thaughbaer bothers you in the above 2006 pics, I do have at least two more of him. I bought this set (for a song) to replace him but the box arrived looking so pristine I just couldn't open it.

I then bought him on the individual card to have one just to open, and that one arrived with the blister coming off. Thankfully I ordered it to open, not to have on the card, so it was perfect.

If collectors in 1988 were astute about the toy offerings prior to seeing the film, Sorsha on horseback (upper left, above the trio of Death Dogs) gave away a plot point, a la the 1983 spoiler of releasing an action figure named "Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise".

Like the regular standing Sorsha, her metal base is tan, the color of the good guys, instead of black like the bad guys. She switches sides during the film, so the toy kinda telegraphs it.

A 2014 pic of my second Mangonel... carefully angled to hide the missing fourth wheel.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found the box to my Eborsisk.

Also found that castle I mentioned earlier. It was from the HeroScape line of toys.

The lowest price tag on it, from when my local TRU closed, was less than $7, and I am pretty sure I got it for a further discount off that.

Today was the first time I ever opened it, despite that TRU going out of business around... 2005?

I grabbed some of the toys from the "as is for $40 shipped" box just to see how well the scale works. Could've been a bit bigger, but I like that it doesn't overwhelm the Tonka Willow toys, which would detract from the intended purpose of buying it to showcase them.

Does it put them at different levels for visual interest? Yes, and that's good enough for seven bucks.

I need to find some toy pigs of the right scale, LOL.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great pictures Alex. That Heroscape castle is a perfect stand in for the Nockmaar fortress!

Incidentally, I e-mailed Super7 to pester them about making more comic style Hellboy figures and mentioned again, as I'm incapable of not bringing it up whenever communicating with them or Funko that they should do Willow figures. The gentleman who responded said it HAS been discussed and there were some licensing hoops that needed to be dealt with and that he would mention it again. So... that'd be fun. :D

Reaction score
Yes agreed! Alex that castle is an incredible deal and has that long strip of battlements on top just like the Nockmaar! That really works amazingly well, I'd say that is a great pick-up indeed

Reaction score
Great pictures Alex. That Heroscape castle is a perfect stand in for the Nockmaar fortress!

Incidentally, I e-mailed Super7 to pester them about making more comic style Hellboy figures and mentioned again, as I'm incapable of not bringing it up whenever communicating with them or Funko that they should do Willow figures. The gentleman who responded said it HAS been discussed and there were some licensing hoops that needed to be dealt with and that he would mention it again. So... that'd be fun. :D
Not to be harsh but the Willow figures remind me of D&D miniatures. To me its was really a wasted opportunity. super 7 could knock the license out of the park. There are some great characters to chose from. Hey Born Alex I got a photo taken with Warwick was well at C8 out of the blue. After the 501st party I was walking to the parking lot and went though some double doors and he came rolling down the hallway on a scooter. He stopped and took pictures with me and the guys around him. Very nice guy.

Reaction score
Well, I didn't *quite* get the collection photographed all together in time for the 30th anniversary of Willow's premiere, but I'm only about a month late.

Seven bucks? I WISH I'd gotten it for that price.

My three Sears-exclusives, all photographed together for the first time.

One of everything they made (plus a few duplicates of the Nockmaars, to make the Rebels' plight seem that much more desperate).

I also have duplicates of most of the rare pieces now. So even though the Sears-exclusive Chase Chariot is for the bad guys, I felt like Madmartigan really deserved his own.

The extra one is a real beater with a broken harness for the horses, and was missing the spear accessories... which are a very bizarre inclusion for an action figure line that lacks gripping hands.

Two catapults.

And the three Mangonels that I purchased over the years, just to have one working one. (Careful camera angles hide the fact that two of them are missing wheels.)

Here are some handy reference pics if you ever find a box of these things loose and aren't sure what you've got.

Regular Rebel Trooper (l) and Sears redeco for the Catapult.

Regular Nockmaar Warrior (l) and Sears redeco for the Mangonel.

Regular Nockmaar Lieutenant (l) and Sears redeco for the Chase Chariot.

Green-shirt Willow (l) and standard Willow. Although the Greenie is allegedly the rare one, they've always seemed to be plentiful to me.

[Somebody stated (probably earlier in this thread) that they got stuck with so many of them once, they would give them out as tips at restaurants.]

What I personally think is significantly harder to find is Willow with Elora Danan and papoose.

My Elora Danan has a dark spot in her plastic in a rather unfortunate location. It always brings to mind Warwick Davis on the DVD commentary track talking about how they had to teach him how to change 'nappies' because he was only 17.

Luckily, it's in a spot very seldom seen, since she's usually in the papoose.

Although most of this collection is loose, I still have the gorgeous box of the Eborsisk, and one or two carded/boxed duplicates.

Group shot of my Nockmaar army, including a BUNCH of Death Dogs and a few spares of the army-builder characters.

A group shot of all my heroic Rebels (including Sorsha, since her base is tan. Thanks for the spoiler, Tonka!)

A combined pic of ALL of my toys (minus the carded ones and a box of broken figures and horses that were included with one of the Mangonels).

Aaaaand the look on your face when you finally have them all together in one location and can take pics at last.

I've been meaning to take these group pics since April of 2017. Sorry it took me so long.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome pics Alex!

I make it a point anytime I e-mail Super7 to suggest they make a run of Willow figures. It's a travesty no one's ever done anything outside of the Tonka line. But your collection and pics make even that look substantially awesome!

Reaction score
Definitely an incredible and envious collection my man! Thank you for staging it all and sharing with us, so cool to see it all in one place and dio'd up well. That must have taken you quite awhile to invest in, I imagine many of the rarer things don't show up much on eBay or at yard sales.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Yes, I was surprised how many years it took to track down the three Sears exclusives, after reading about them in a collector magazine that had tiny black and white pics.

Can't remember where the magazine is, but I can clearly picture myself flipping through it in my tiny collection room at the house I lived in around twenty years ago, so it must've taken at least a full two decades.

As I sit here now, though, you know what? I think I may have *one more* figure of Willow Ufgood himself.

Pretty sure I put him in the Watto's Box scene with my TPM toys long ago.

(Pics found online)

I'll have to dig those TPM figures out and see if he's still in there.

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago I was going through an old toy box of mine and found my collection of the Willow figures/figurines.

I still have a Death Dog still in good shape along with Kael, Erik and a Nockmar soldier.

Too bad my folks didn't get me any of the other hero figures like Willow or Madmartigan but oh well

Reaction score
My only Willow figures as a kid were a leftover Nockmar warrior that I was able to find on the pegs and my brother and I both sent in for a Kellogs (or Post?) free Willow figure. We each got the green one, but I remember one of the wands snapped off. I ended up getting a brand new one in a baggie online for cheap in recent years. Never did find my Nockmar Warrior ever again, my mom gave a TON of our toys away. Which really pissed me off, considering that late 90s kids weren't playing with He-Man, GI JOES or even the Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters anymore at that point. She gave away a FORTUNE. I never let her live that down, we had so many cool individual pieces from all kinds of awesome lines.

Reaction score
I was at a yard sale last year and found the green Willow. This made me both happy and sad. Sad because i never found any main characters when they were released. A month or so later i saw a box of toys at another sale and plucked a Madmartigan for a quarter. A year just passed and there was another sale at the same house. I said to my girlfriend"this is where i got that Willow figure last year..." Well there weren't any more there this time out BUT a few houses down was another sale and i picked up a whole bunch of damaged card figures. There were 11 and i got them all for 10 dollars. There were duplicates but i said why not? The guy was impressed that we knew the movie and more surprised that we both love it. Some of the cards were water damaged and smelled bad. We freed all of the ones that weren't duplicates except Madmartigan which mine had a bent sword. Now i wish i had left him sealed because when i got home i noticed it was an error figure. He only has black and silver armor! Its kind of cool because i posed him with green Willow. If someone could pm me how to post pictures I would love to share. Now i am only missing death dog and 3 others as well as the horseback figures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found the rest of the single figures I need in a lot. Now i am missing willow with the baby. Is he the same as standard Willow but with an acessory? Does anyone have an extra?