To the Hasbro Team making and selling these NEW STAR WARS toys. GET BACK TO BASICS.

Reaction score
Dear Hasbro and the Hasbro Star Wars team,

Star Wars is an incredible property. Its been incredible since 1978. Kenner kicked butt because Hasbro couldn't be bothered. Man that must have made you suck it in for a few years. Then, Hasbro finally got Kenner and it got STAR WARS....all of it. You guys cranked out so much stuff, its still hasn't all been thrown out. You used and re-used molds multiple times over. You created such a variety of characters, nothing like it has even come close. The POTF, POTJ, LEGACY and VINTAGE lines were fantastic. The exclusives for Target, TRU and Walmart were just unending. We, as fans, ate it up. We spent the dough that was for sure. You look on ebay now, its all double and triple or more of what it was when it was on your client's shelves. Now we come to EP VII and you guys got greedy. I mean, really greedy. The plastic is so sub par, it isn't even funny. Not only does it not hold the shapes that it was cast for, but the Quality Assurance just sucks. I don't even know if its really there. I was so disappointed in not just the movie TFA EP VII, but more so the toys. How do you screw up that? There weren't even that many new ships? The Falcon, the X wing-sure new mold, crap guns tho, and the tie fighter with its really warped wings. WTH? Now with Rogue One coming out. A shot at redemption. You guys are screwing it up again. Do you not get the fact that the crappier you make these toys, the more you are killing the Goose laying the golden eggs? You guys spend more on the giant packaging than you do the toy. WTH is up with all the friggin Nerf, Jesus on a Bike, are we trying to make money for the court settlement? Here is a wonderful idea and Im giving it to you for free.

Go back to the drawing board and start with the Basics. With ROGUE ONE, you get a whole DO OVER. X wings with Partisan paint applications. Tie Fighters-big wings, small wings, Vader tie, tie interceptor, tie bombers. Heck with SW REBELS, Im surprised we haven't seen an A WING with the RMAQ blue with white triangle. You made the Phantom but you don't make the GHOST? Guys, if you haven't noticed SW REBELS is incredible and you can keep making toys for it. If Walmart can sell articulated figures in the old O ring style and still do it at cost, then I would have hoped Hasbro/Disney can spend a little bit of that profit margin and make some quality toys. I cannot tell you how much I really enjoyed seeing the vintage line with the classic packaging. That was amazing.

Im looking at a box for the B Wing fighter right now and Im just marveling at the advertising genius who came up with using the classic style from ROTJ. Its almost art. Face it. You invest better time and effort in this line, it will come back to you ten fold. Look what happened with GI JOE, getting back to the classic blister card with figure, weapon and or accessory and a stand. Cool cut out bio index card on the back. All for 5$. Bam!! GI JOE back from the brink. You want my hard earned dollar, then stop being so damn cheap and cheesy with the gimmicks. Kids and adults want good figures and solid vehicles. Your U fighter could have been pretty awesome, but all I see is more cutting corners. A 300$ AT AT with iPhone app.....seriously? How about just making a cool damn At At that doesn't cost so much that people have to go into bankruptcy to get it for their kid or themselves. I get going to the 5 POA figure, do I like it, no. Try doing what FP did with the Adventure people, slight bend in the left arm, ball jointed neck and one leg slightly bend. At least it would look cooler.

With all due respect. Im losing my faith in how you are handling the SW line. With ROGUE ONE and SW REBELS, we should have plenty of re-issues with really better paint apps. You already have the molds. The TARGET ZEV Senesca snowspeeder was incredible. Try doing something like that for SW ROGUE ONE with the Partisan paint job. Jesus, everything you need is already there. The money you save in the molds could be used to have some really wicked paint apps.

You still come out ahead. You restore faith in the line and people will spend their hard earned money. I have to tell you tho. I have seen more that disappoints me than gives me hope. My hope is relying more on ebay and on Lego. I may spend a bit extra but Im happy with what I get. Every purchase I have made since TFA has made me cringe being a SW fan. How crappy is it going to be? I tried to even like your new Millennium Falcon and I just couldn't do it. Its just not worth that much and the design is so far off the original, I would rather have another re-issue. But that just isn't going to happen. What you are charging for toys and figures at this point is almost criminal. Its certainly not good business.

You should know your customers. Its not just kids. Its also collectors and fans of all ages. Get back to basics and do it right. All I can see is a lot of greed and cutting of corners.

Im losing faith and Im losing hope that Im ever going to see a decent SW line again. Invest that extra money into some good, common sense, designs and stop going for the gimmicks. They look like crap and it comes across as crap. Who the heck designed an X wing where you cant even fit the pilot into? That person, needs to be shot. You had to make it that small in the cockpit?

Do it right Hasbro. Show the powers that be that making quality will give you the numbers you want. Not the numbers you will settle for for making landfill filler.

Signed A dissatisfied fan who is rapidly losing faith in a company that he thought created some really incredible toys. You were great once Hasbro, you can be again, but you gotta stop making garbage.

Reaction score
Here is another suggestion.

Sell that big X wing again with the ROGUE ONE Partisan paint apps, from there. Make a new mold of a Y WING in close to studio scale like that X Wing. That Clone Wars Y WING is pretty damn big. I wouldn't mind it if you tweeked that one a bit. Im sure there is something that can be used in addition to making something close to ANH Y WING. If you are going to make big Studio scale looking vehicles, then go for it. Start with the classics and branch out. Stop using that crappy plastic and get back to the more solid stuff. I would love to see a B WING in a larger scale as well. The TARGET TIE Fighter could be used with other WING accessories as well. You have the molds, just push for better paint apps and QA and you will see appreciation.

Reaction score
After collecting since 1978, Hasbro lost me in 2014 due to the terrible distribution. Nothing will bring back this previously loyal collector who bought all variations as well. They lost my $$ forever.

Reaction score
Its just a damn quality product. How can you produce an AT AT that is just amazing for a 100-110$ with cool figures and speeders and then you present with the AT ACT --smaller, iPhone friendly and seizure walks....this equals 300$ and its smaller to boot???? WTH?? To whom it may concern, Hellllooooo, pull your heads out, this is garbage. You are going for the quick win, which will fail you big time, you want good profits, put out some decent toys at a decent price. Quit being so damn greedy and spend that profit margin back on your investment. It wont fail you.

Im not spending any money on this line. Cmon Hasbro, pull it together. You still have it in you. Make something incredible happen. Even a re-issue of the VINTAGE/CLASSIC line would be welcome at this stage. Sell it to TARGET or Kmart but you know Im right. Make it happen. The molds are already there. Use them again and make that money!!! I know at least one of you will get the hutzpa and get this going. You still have a fighting chance, quit blowing it. Show the Mouse in the House how its done.

Reaction score
I think the reduction in quality is deliberate and was part of Hasbro's renegotiation of their contract shortly after the 2012 Disney purchase (the same renegotiation that extended the license to 2020, instead of 2017). Disney planned to bring in many more licensees who would be creating "collector quality" merchandise and there would be far less demand for those collector quality toys from other sources if Hasbro was still making toys at the same level of quality as they were in 2008-2009.

That being said, I'm very excited for the upcoming Rogue One Stormtrooper and the new TIE Pilot that comes with the TIE Striker. These figures look to be the best versions of both of these characters made to date.

Also, I'm a big fan of the limited aritculation and stiff, neutral poses. I definitely would never want to see a return to the mildly preposed POTF2 days or the ridiculously preposed Ep2 days.

Sure, I understand that many collectors are feeling very disgruntled by the recent changes to the line, but not all of us are disgruntled. Some of us are actually quite happy with where things are. Not everything is perfect and I don't plan to buy everything that comes out on September 30th, however, Hasbro is making enough stuff that I am excited about that I don't feel that they need to scrap everything and go back to the drawing board at all.

Reaction score
Oh kids are not liking it either my 10 year will not touch the new figures because they do not move like his clone wars figures..in his words..the suck dad. Same with the ships he says they are to small. He liked Rey's speeder, hated the X wing.

Reaction score
The neutral poses basically suck. If Disney/Hasbro had gone with something similar to FP Adventure People pose and a ball jointed neck...I would have given it a shot. It's not 1977 anymore. I can understand somewhat with the Poa of 5, so why isn't the cost of the figure less? Oh that's right, crappy missile harness. Again, get back to basics, if you are going for simple cheap figure construction,then get the consumers and fans excited about a decent figure line at a great price.

Reaction score
The neutral poses basically suck. If Disney/Hasbro had gone with something similar to FP Adventure People pose and a ball jointed neck...I would have given it a shot.
Nah, I really dislike the combination of limited articulation and preposed figures. I've always preferred neutral poses and always will. So the neutral poses absolutely do NOT suck.

Just because you're not excited about the upcoming figures doesn't mean that nobody is. I'm actually more excited about the upcoming Rogue One Stormtrooper than I have been about any figure in years. Probably not since Kithaba came out in 2012 have I looked forward to a new figure this much.

A decent figure line at a great price is exactly what we're getting with the 5POA line. Sure, it'd be nice if the figures were even cheaper, but that pretty much applies to anything you buy these days.

Reaction score
Seems like every year is going to be a bumper year for Star Wars at Hasbro. Until it's not. "CLEARANCE" will be the new Force Friday for a great many who are tired of getting burned if they are even on board anymore. For me personally, the vast majority of my collection was sourced from the secondary market. While some of it had inflated substantially in value, a lot of it was dirt cheap. Much like the over priced junk you're churning out now. It doesn't take an economics major to see which direction that's going to go. Eventually it may actually be worth what is being labelled at retail.. A loooong time from now.

One thing about Star Wars fans is, they can be patient. We can wait years for a new movie.. Heck! Decades! I can sit back and wait for something decent to come out, because I'm a discerning collector of quality kenner and hasbro toys. I simply don't do dime store junk disguised as premium product.

GNT

Reaction score
Just because you're not excited about the upcoming figures doesn't mean that nobody is. I'm actually more excited about the upcoming Rogue One Stormtrooper than I have been about any figure in years.
Exactly, times have changed. For the most part the 5POA line has been decent and I quite enjoy collecting them. It's not everyone's thing but you know Hasbro has a movie every year to deal with and they can't spend all there resources creating a whole line of SA figures like they used to. The plan essentially is to get in and out before the next big movie hits.

I believe I've said it before but Hasbro has changed, you either move with them or best to rethink collecting or what you are collecting. If articulation is a major deal breaker you've got other lines that are more suitable - the 6" TBS line, Figuarts and the like and then you've Hot Toys items.

They are missing the boat with little to no Rebels support, more figures would be better but overall SW is going well IMO.

Reaction score
Exactly, times have changed. For the most part the 5POA line has been decent and I quite enjoy collecting them. It's not everyone's thing but you know Hasbro has a movie every year to deal with and they can't spend all there resources creating a whole line of SA figures like they used to. The plan essentially is to get in and out before the next big movie hits..
That doesn't fly with me. I'm still questioning how I ended up with four Kylo Rens when only one of them was in the style I was after and would have been completely satisfied with. It just happened to be the Walmart exclusive that came at the tail end of the year long campaign. Kudos to Hasbro for playing me hook line and sinker I guess. I wonder what cruel joke they'll be playing this year?

Reaction score
As collectors we can debate all day as to whether the 5POA stuff or the SA stuff is better or whether Hasbro is doing things differently for one reason or another... but at the end of the day it's quality that makes the difference. Personal preferences aside, there's no denying that quality has been difficult for Hasbro of late, and by difficult I mean intentionally difficult. <borrowed from BigBarada
That doesn't mean everything is crap, but there is a LOT of really questionable ideas that have been implemented into what is produced. App-controlled AT-ACT? That will be fun until the app is no longer supported, then you have a $300+ AT-AT... when you can buy a bigger one right now for less. (see also ebay)

The quality of the plastic and the paint applications have been all over the place (hopefully the AT-ACT isn't completely paintless like the pictures we've seen?). I really liked the Quiggold and 'Crimson Corsair' (which is what he will always be called by me). That two pack was really well executed in all aspects. Would I have liked to see them be more posable? sure... but in the movie, they just stood (sat?) there anyway, so along with PZ-4CO, Teedo, BB-8, Unkar's Thug, and Sarco Plank I saw some nice figures.

Then we get to the main characters. If you look at the banana visor and googly eyes that show up on many samples, or the lack of detail that was painted into other areas, you see a pretty big mess. The sculpts were not bad for the most part, but the paint was awful. The SA figures of the TFA main characters were really nice... albeit in too soft plastic.

I don't have time to get into the ships, but the quality (and size) of those has been pretty well documented. You may like the smaller scale, but you can't deny that they just feel different, as in cheap. Like off-brand cereal or generic toilet paper.

I give Hasbro a bit of a pass in the years following the sale to Disney in 2012. They had to change gears pretty quickly with a new movie in three years. I don't give them a pass for how awful distribution has been and how poor the introduction of some of this stuff has been. No news is not good news for a toy company.

I am pretty certain I know why the shift in Hasbro happened. They can sell tons of cheaper toys to kids with movies out every year. They can sell the same catalog of thousands of figures in a larger 6" scale to collectors. They can always go back and make the 3 3/4" figures better articulated and sell the same figure again. We essentially went back to 1996 and now Hasbro is going to spend the next 10-20 years selling "Luke with floppy hat" and "Mace Windu with slashing feature" and "removable helmet Vader" and "battle damage Vader" and "Hoth Vader" and "cloth cape Vader".

Patterns much?

Reaction score
I am pretty certain I know why the shift in Hasbro happened.
I believe the shift had something to do with the departure of Daryl DePriest and with Hasbro's renegotiating of their contract with Disney in 2012. Remember, their license was set to expire next year and instead they got an extension and it's possible that one of the conditions of that extension was the agreement that Hasbro would drop the overall quality of their toys in order to create demand among collectors for the new companies that would soon be allowed to make Star Wars toys (SH Figuarts, Tamashi Nations, Hot Toys, Mattel, Bandai, etc.).

I believe that we might even see more of a fracturing of the market after 2020, with Hasbro getting an even smaller piece of the pie.

Reaction score
I believe the shift had something to do with the departure of Daryl DePriest and with Hasbro's renegotiating of their contract with Disney in 2012. Remember, their license was set to expire next year and instead they got an extension and it's possible that one of the conditions of that extension was the agreement that Hasbro would drop the overall quality of their toys in order to create demand among collectors for the new companies that would soon be allowed to make Star Wars toys (SH Figuarts, Tamashi Nations, Hot Toys, Mattel, Bandai, etc.).

I believe that we might even see more of a fracturing of the market after 2020, with Hasbro getting an even smaller piece of the pie.

I'm not a business man, but is that even possible? Why would Hasbro agree to make poorer quality toys to help other companies take some of their market? I agree that the license with Disney clearly had an impact on what we are seeing. Disney has put an end to leaks (and even actual news like normal convention stuff) and they dictate a lot of things in their "realm", but I would think a demand like lower quality would be met with some question marks.

IF you mean demand that Hasbro make Toys for Children and not Figures for Collectors, I guess I could see that being said. I would imagine there just really aren't enough of us to make the kind of dent that a new wave of kids will make. To me, figures going up in price for lower quality seems like bad business no matter how you slice it. Kids don't care as much.

Cable companies are going to be out of business soon with this model... crap service and quality with rising prices.

I just find it hard to believe that Disney would be able to dictate the quality of the toy and besides... the Mission Series figures were already out or at least already been in production when this all went down. SO... I'm thinking it was more like this:

Disney: We want you to make more money so we make more money
Hasbro: We can make more money by spending less money and increasing the price
Disney: Make more money but don't tell anyone how you are doing it OR what is actually going to be produced... it'll be a fun surprise
Hasbro: We have no choice because we can't afford to lose Star Wars and/or Marvel... Deal

There goes the articulation and quality of plastic, paint, etc. 6 inch figures were already started, so they were going to see that through anyway and apparently they are doing ok or they wouldn't continue. Quality has dipped for the 6 inch scale too though. The only reason we got the SA 3 3/4" stuff was Walmart wanting an exclusive. I hated the idea of this going to a Walmart Exclusive... but I guess we should be thanking <dry heave> Walmart <retch> for taking these figures.

Reaction score
IF you mean demand that Hasbro make Toys for Children and not Figures for Collectors, I guess I could see that being said. I would imagine there just really aren't enough of us to make the kind of dent that a new wave of kids will make. To me, figures going up in price for lower quality seems like bad business no matter how you slice it. Kids don't care as much.
I think this is probably closer to what I was trying to say, you just worded it better.

A few years back, SirStevesGuide asked Jeff Labovitz, the Global Marketing Manager for Hasbro Star Wars at the time (not sure if he's still there), about the "competition" in the 6" figure realm from companies like Bandai, SH Figuarts, Square Enix, etc. and Jeff's response is a bit telling. They didn't see those figures as competition because they were for a "different type of consumer", which I took to be a reference to adult collectors.
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/30/sdcc-2014-hasbro-qa-with-global-marketing-manager-jeff-labovitz/

Even Hasbro's 6" and SA 3.75" lines are designed for ages 4 and up. Which leads me to believe that Hasbro considers them to be primarily children's toys, not adult collectibles. In case you were wondering, more work goes into developing toys that are considered safe for young children, than would be required to create adult collectibles that weren't intended for children at all. So, why would they spend the extra money and subject themselves to all of those nanny-state regulations if they considered these toys to be primarily adult collectibles? Short answer, I don't believe they would.

Reaction score
I think this is probably closer to what I was trying to say, you just worded it better.

A few years back, SirStevesGuide asked Jeff Labovitz, the Global Marketing Manager for Hasbro Star Wars at the time (not sure if he's still there), about the "competition" in the 6" figure realm from companies like Bandai, SH Figuarts, Square Enix, etc. and Jeff's response is a bit telling. They didn't see those figures as competition because they were for a "different type of consumer", which I took to be a reference to adult collectors.
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/30/sdcc-2014-hasbro-qa-with-global-marketing-manager-jeff-labovitz/

Even Hasbro's 6" and SA 3.75" lines are designed for ages 4 and up. Which leads me to believe that Hasbro considers them to be primarily children's toys, not adult collectibles. In case you were wondering, more work goes into developing toys that are considered safe for young children, than would be required to create adult collectibles that weren't intended for children at all. So, why would they spend the extra money and subject themselves to all of those nanny-state regulations if they considered these toys to be primarily adult collectibles? Short answer, I don't believe they would.

I just want the quality of everything to come back. Remember the awesome Burger King sets of toys that came out? Looked at a Happy Meal (or any toy premium at a fast food place or cereal box) lately? Crap.

Hasbro pushed me too far away with the Mission Series offerings I think. Those were so awful compared to the Vintage Collection that it was hard to recover. The TFA and RO figures were pretty decent sculpts for the most part, but could have used some articulation. Just allow the figure to hold their gun/lightsaber/whatever correctly is all I ask at this point.