Tip of the day: "Getting around Japan"

Reaction score
Re: Tip of the day: \"Getting around Japan\"

John_sH said:
Tip of the day: June 8, 2008
In Osaka it is sometimes customary for people to barter with vendors, especially when buying electronics. It is far less common to do this in Tokyo.
One could also go to Akihabara - one of the few places that you can barter!

I don't know what the compatibility profile is but if you are a gamer, be sure to see the cool games you may not see for a while or ever in the states! I remember buying super Contra for SNES back in the day in Japan and it didn't get released in the US for many monthes later.....

Reaction score

Hi John I am going to Japan and I have a few questions about transportation that have not really been addressed and I am sure others will also find the information useful that you could provide here.

You have given options for taking trains from the airport to the convention center area. But I think you need to swith lines like 5 times just to get to the hotels?!! I have heard this takes 2 hours roughly?

What about buses that go from the airport DIRECTLY to the hotels around the convention center?

Also, I am traveling with two others and I really just want to take a Taxi from the airport direct to the hotel after a long flight with pleny of luggage. I have heard a Taxi can run you $150-$300? How much roughly does a taxi cost to the hotels? Also, I have heard some Taxis scam foreigners either with the meter or routes they take to get to the hotel and if they With that huge price tag for a taxi ride, I can't imagine what they would want to take me for . What are HONEST Taxi company names so I may look for one of those Taxis at the airport?

Thanks in advance and you can see me at the con at my booth in the Artists alley!

Reaction score

I've ridden the taxi many times in Japan and I've never been ripped off. It will be EXPensive though!

When I went to Korea for the 1st time, the 1st taxi I took from the airport to a hotel - the dude ripped me off. I asked about rates in English and he pretended that he did not understand. As soon as the taxi moved, he spoke in English and charged us a flat rate. Never turned on the meter!!!!

Reaction score

potratz said:
What about buses that go from the airport DIRECTLY to the hotels around the convention center?
I had the same concern. Still up in the air about what to do. There's an express train (Nar'ex?) that I believe runs from Narita to Tokyo, which I was contemplating taking. The hotel I'm staying at is in Shinjuku. The train supposedly takes about 1 hour, while the bus ride can be 2 hours+. I don't want to be jammed in the train with my luggage though if it's anything like mass transit is in the states.

Anyone have experiences with both? Any info from the gurus would be appreciated!

Reaction score

potratz said:
You have given options for taking trains from the airport to the convention center area. But I think you need to swith lines like 5 times just to get to the hotels?!! I have heard this takes 2 hours roughly?
It's a little under an hour and half by train, and you only switch lines twice. It's JR all the way, so you just buy one ticket (Y950) at "Airport Building 2" Station and hold on to it until you get off at Kaihin Makuhari.

potratz said:
A much better option in my opinion, takes only 45 min. and costs just Y120 more than the train. It goes to Kaihin Makuhari Station but I get the impression it doesn't drive around to all the hotels in the area. If you PM me your arrival time, I can give you some departure times for the bus.

potratz said:
Also, I am traveling with two others and I really just want to take a Taxi from the airport direct to the hotel after a long flight with pleny of luggage. I have heard a Taxi can run you $150-$300? How much roughly does a taxi cost to the hotels? Also, I have heard some Taxis scam foreigners either with the meter or routes they take to get to the hotel and if they With that huge price tag for a taxi ride, I can't imagine what they would want to take me for . What are HONEST Taxi company names so I may look for one of those Taxis at the airport?
OK, first of all there is no scam. Taxis are just so expensive here that unknowing visitors might assume they've been scammed. I never use one unless work is picking up the tab. However, in my experience, taxi drivers are professional, speed to get you where you're going ASAP, and drive aggressively to avoid being stuck behind cars and at traffic lights. I think you're probably imagining a rather cramped and crappy ride on the train or bus with your bags, when really the bus and at least the first leg of the train journey will have sufficient space for your luggage.

Because the convention area isn't close, my best advice is to pace yourself and try not to feel like you've "arrived" when you touch down at the airport. Grab a coffee, Coke, beer, whatever, stroll over to the depot and jump on a bus. The next time you stand up you'll be in the convention area. I realize a taxi ride will be relaxing after the long flight, but give Japanese public transportation a chance. It's really good.

Reaction score

tormod said:
potratz said:
I had the same concern. Still up in the air about what to do. There's an express train (Nar'ex?) that I believe runs from Narita to Tokyo, which I was contemplating taking. The hotel I'm staying at is in Shinjuku. The train supposedly takes about 1 hour, while the bus ride can be 2 hours+. I don't want to be jammed in the train with my luggage though if it's anything like mass transit is in the states.

Anyone have experiences with both? Any info from the gurus would be appreciated!
I'm definitely not a guru(!), but in Osaka for example the express trains from KIX to the city have reduced seating capacity to provide extra room to stand suitcases alongside you while traveling. My mum has done the KIX-Osaka journey 3 or 4 times and hasn't had any problems despite the fact she doesn't speak Japanese. It'll be a cinch, trust me

Reaction score

Another thing I want to say about traveling on the train... usually there are so many departures that it's not a big deal if you miss one. Unless I'm on a secret mission or something I never check train or bus schedules. If you miss one, another usually turns up within 5-10 min. Often less.

Reaction score

oooo Secret Missions....Shhhhhhhhh

Reaction score

Hi everyone, I kind of let this thread die off as I ran out of tips (been a long time since I was fresh off the boat!). If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post and I'll answer them the best I can

Reaction score

Question. I was told that drinks(soda) order at restaruants did not come with refills. Is that correct? Or does it vary?

Reaction score

John, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it varies although most places do not do refills as they do here in the states. They just don't drink as much soda as we do here. But, then again, I haven't been there in so long, I may not remember anything correctly

Reaction score

Hayabusa said:
John, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it varies although most places do not do refills as they do here in the states. They just don't drink as much soda as we do here. But, then again, I haven't been there in so long, I may not remember anything correctly
You're right. Soda refills are definitely not standard practice.

The one exception is "family restaurants." Most of them have "drink bars" with unlimited refills of soda, juice, tea, coffee, etc. Any restaurant that looks like Denny's (or is Denny's
) is likely to have one. Some of the common ones are Royal Host, Gusto/Skylark, Friendly, and Cocos.

Reaction score

I just checked a map, and there a couple of Denny's and a Royal Host nearish to Kaihin Markuhari Stn. It'd take you a good 15/20 min. walk though, which in the middle of summer would really suck!

Reaction score

I think I saw a Tony Romas around there too.

Ross

Reaction score

Vaccaros said:
I think I saw a Tony Romas around there too.
Awesome! I haven't had Tony's in years

Reaction score

Hi all!
A tip that we usually go by:
We exchange our money at Narita rather than in the US. You get a better exchange rate in Japan.
Also, the electricity current (or whatever it is) in Japan is the same in the US. You just need a two prong adapter for your computers. You can pick them up at any hardware store for 39 cents or so.
Are you excited yet?
~Alyssa

Reaction score

Thanks for the post on the electric tip. Is there any baseball games going on for the week before the show?

Reaction score

dark_knight_of_the_rose said:
Thanks for the post on the electric tip. Is there any baseball games going on for the week before the show?
Any games not already sold out, you mean?
That's a tough one! I'll see what I can find out.

Reaction score

11 days before I land

It will be a very exiting moment once more

Reaction score

I've had a great time reading this thread tonight while enjoying a few birus!

Thanks for all the excellent tips, John. I hope to meet you and all these cool Rebelscummers at CJ!

Reaction score

Hey, any chance of you making a one-page document with simple phrases we need, numbers for counting, where to exchange money, where the convention is, basic train details... stuff like that. I know Alyssa and Andy will be guides for many of us, but not all, and it would be nice not to land in Tokyo completely without direction.

Printing out this entire thread doesn't seem practical and it's still not wholly complete. I mean just the best 1-page quick-reference possible.

Thanks!

-chris

Reaction score

Hi,
I am arriving this Wednesday or Thursday, I forget. I am picking up 6-8 ppl on the 14th. There are also others arriving on the 13th and another group arriving on the 12th. Other are arriving on the 16th and 17th.
Alyssa

Reaction score

My GF and I arrive on the 15th around supper time. I have to decide fast tonight if I need to buy a JR pass or not. I was thinking one of the Suica cards may be better as we wont be taking any big trips as far as I know, just a day to Mt. Fuji and a day to Kamakura.

Ross

Reaction score

Wow Alyssa, you guys are heading out that early?!

I'm heading out this Thur, arriving Fri afternoon. Of course, I'm heading over there to visit my folks. I can't wait to meet everyone! What time do you guys think you'll get to the convention center on the morning of the 19th? Some of us should set up a time/location so we could all get together to get in line together. I'm planning to get there early (like 6am?) since we still don't know exactly how/when to get our tickets that morning.

John, PM coming soon!

Reaction score

The majority of us are moving to Chiba/Convention on the 17th. As far as I know we are all booked at the APA.
Alyssa

Reaction score

Am I the only one crazy enough to stay in Tokyo and take the train to the convention every morning? lol. At least it starts around 10, which may be later in rush hour, no?

I'm going with my girlfriend and another friend. We all got rail passes, but they're the 7 day ones. We may save them for the latter part of the trip so we can tour more of the country, paying the CJ train rides out of pocket.

Reaction score

Speaking of tickets. Did anyone get any information from offical pic's? I bought mine awhile ago and have recieved any instruction.

Reaction score

Vaccaros said:
I have to decide fast tonight if I need to buy a JR pass or not. I was thinking one of the Suica cards may be better as we wont be taking any big trips as far as I know, just a day to Mt. Fuji and a day to Kamakura.
Ross, not sure if it'll be worth getting the JR Pass in your case. It should be about $300~400 per person for the passs (I think) and you will probably only use about $100~150 per person (if even that), maybe $200 for transportation if the farthest you're going is Mt.Fuji. I debated about it too since I'd be there for 2 wks, but I wouldn't be going far enough and enough train rides to justify it.

tormod said:
Am I the only one crazy enough to stay in Tokyo and take the train to the convention every morning? lol. At least it starts around 10, which may be later in rush hour, no?

I'm going with my girlfriend and another friend. We all got rail passes, but they're the 7 day ones. We may save them for the latter part of the trip so we can tour more of the country, paying the CJ train rides out of pocket.
tormod, don't worry, you're not the only one taking the train to the convention center. I will be staying at a place about and hour to hour and half train ride from the center at my grandparents place. So I'll have a long train ride there and back every day.

As for rushhour, correct me if I'm wrong, you won't have to worry about it as much the first 2 days, as it's Sat and Sun. But Mon, you might. With school out (Mon should be the first day of summer for most kids), it might not be as busy as it would be any other day (but I bet it will be). At the same time a lot of workers tend to take that monday off and make it a 3 day weekend. So who knows.

How much longer are you staying after CJ? I'm gonna guess more than 7 days. I guess think about how much it might be to go to the convention center and back for 3 days, and then consider how much travel you'll be doing for the last few days you wouldn't have a pass if you started to use it at CJ. I'm guessing you might do less travelling the last few days, although I suppose you'll have the train ride to the airport. Something to think about.

Well, I can't wait
I still gotta pack though

Reaction score

ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Hey, any chance of you making a one-page document with simple phrases we need, numbers for counting, where to exchange money, where the convention is, basic train details... stuff like that. I know Alyssa and Andy will be guides for many of us, but not all, and it would be nice not to land in Tokyo completely without direction.
Japanese in one easy post, eh? Haven't you been getting my spam mails about that?

OK, the convention center, Makuhari Messe, can be found at Kaihin-Makuhari Station on the JR Keiyo Line. You can get there from JR Tokyo Stn. (about 30-40 min.) or via bus from Narita Airport (about 45 min.). People coming from Tokyo should be able to get there without too much hassle as long as they take their time. People going directly from Narita are free to PM me w/ their arrival times and I'll send them the bus departure times best suited to them.

If you're exchanging money, I'd do it at the airport and then use my credit card as much as possible after that to make up the difference. Any large bank should be able to switch currencies for you; as I mentioned in a previous post, machines that offer credit card cash advances are few and far between. Large stations like Tokyo station should have an information center with English speakers that can direct you a currency exchange booth if necessary.

OK Japanese! Wa-hoo!

watashi - me
anata - you

hai - yes
iie - no
(Hai), sou desu. - (Yes), that's right.
(Iie), chigaimasu. - (No), that's not right.

Ohayo gozaimasu - good morning
Konnichiwa - hello
Konbanwa - good evening
Sayonara - goodbye

Arigato - Thank you.
Arigato gozaimasu (+ bow) - Thank you very much.
Kekko desu - No, thank you.
Daijoubu desu - I'm OK.

kore - this
sore/are - that

1 ichi
2 ni
3 san
4 [censored] / yon
5 go
6 roku
7 shichi / nana
8 hachi
9 ku / kyu
10 ju
100 hyaku
1,000 sen
10,000 (ichi) man
100,000 ju man (lit. ten ten thousands)

Making big numbers is straightforward. There are some pronunciation changes depending on the number combination, but you can still get the point across.
e.g.
150 hyaku-go-ju (hundred-five-ten)
4293 yon-sen-ni-hyaku-kyu-ju-san (four-thousand-two-hundred-nine-ten-three)

For counting, their are a huge number of suffixes depending on the object being counted. Just tag "ko" on the end of any number as it's a general counter. Three of something is "san-ko."

Please: kudasai (please give me), onegaishimasu ("yes, please" or "please help me").
So "san-ko kudasai" is "three please."

"(Kore wa) ikura desu ka?" - "How much (is this)?"
"Ni-hyaku en." - "Two-hundred yen."
"Go-ko kudasai." - "Five please./I'll take five."
"Go-ko desu ka?" - "Five?"
"Hai, onegaishimasu." - "Yes, please."

~wa doko desu ka? - Where is~
E.g. Makuhari Messe wa doko desu ka? - Where is Makuhari Messe?
Toire wa doko desu ka? - Where's the toilet?

~ga arimasu ka? - Do you have (any)~
E.g. Orudo Kenah ga arimasu ka? - Do you have any vintage Kenner?

~ga (dai) suki desu - I like (love)~
E.g. Suta Uohzu ga suki desu. - I like Star Wars.
Nihon no josei ga dai suki desu. - I love Japanese women.

~wo naku shimashita - I lost (my)~
E.g. Saifu wo naku shimashita - I lost my wallet.

~wa dou desu ka? - How about~
E.g. Go-sen en wa dou desu ka? - How about 5000 yen? (to dealer)
Makku wa dou desu ka? - How about McDonald's? / Why don't we go to McDonald's?

Please post whatever else you'd like to know how to say and I'll add to the thread.

GBH

Reaction score

hey hayabusa,regarding what you said about the monday probably being quieter,it may not be bud cause its a public holiday.lots of folks getting out and about on their day off!

i fly in on the 17th and am staying at a friends place in chiba (free accommodation=cool). she text me today and said her brother was on his way in to pick up tickets this afternoon so all i have to do now is remember to get on the plane

im definitely going on sunday,what should we do in regards to meeting up cause i want some happy snaps with all the fellow scummers!

looking forward to meeting you all there SEE YA SOON!!!!

Reaction score

I believe there is a massive flea market right beside the CJ halls on the Monday. Could make things more crowded also.

Ross

Reaction score

John, I see your point! I guess I was thinking there won't be as much early morning rush hour traffic (like 7-8am). But you're right, it will be very busy with family traffic all over the place. A very helpful list John! I'm sure many of the scummers going are appreciating all the help!!

Vacarros, I hadn't heard anything about a flea market, but I may have missed it. However, on Monday (maybe even Sunday), there is a convention going on in another section of the center (it's a pretty massive center, having a few different buildings) they will be having a convention for kids (almost like a comic con and E3 combined). They don't open til 11am so shouldn't be a major problem if you get there early. I think the main key would be, if you're travelling far by train, get there early to avoid any troubles with travel. I'm planning to get an early start every morning, probably eating breakfast on the way or while in line, to avoid full trains.

I'm with John on a Rebelscum gathering! I was almost wondering if many of us (that are able to) would want to get together maybe the night before for supper so we will have familiar faces at Celebration. And if that's not possible, or even if it is, we should get many of us together in line in the morning (excluding those getting in ahead of time) so we don't feel too alone in line and lost. Maybe setup a meeting spot with time or something. Just some ideas!

I can't wait!! I'm getting very excited!!

Reaction score

Many of us are staying at the APA Tokyo Bay Makuhari. I think at least 20 and possibly many more. Many they have a lounge or something?
Alyssa

Reaction score

If something has to set for a scummers' Reunion please let me know before July 14th, I know it will be easy to have some internet but I'm not sure I will want to ( after all I'm on vacation
.)

By the way, is it impolite to bargain when buying something (espacially for a camera
, not when buying food).

Reaction score

Alright, so I'm gonna throw a few more ideas out there. But first...

Alyssa, the loungething might be a good idea. But if we were to get together for food, it'll probably be a better idea to go somewhere else since (if they have food there) it'll be quite expensive. It could give all of us a central location to meet though

French, if you're getting over there the 14th, it might be a good idea to check internet once in a while. Of course, only to look up SW stuff;) Not everything has been announced yet you know (I'm guessing...). As for haggling/bargaining I'm not sure if it's impolite or not, but you'll have to choose where you do it. Like a camera, you'll most likely get it at an electronic store, so I wouldn't think it's even possible. Just like if you went to like a BestBuy in the states. Of course I could be wrong...

Ok, so I had an idea for gathering fellow scummers at CJ. I should first mention that everyone going from here should stop by the Japan Rebelscum booth at CJ and introduce yourself as a fellow scummer! I've been taking to the guys over there and they are anxious to meet you all! And they just might give you something for free
So, what about the JRS booth as a spot to get all of us together? We could get a pic of all of us from here and also one with Japan scummers!! A great way to meet new people! I was thinking maybe gather everyone on Sun morning so everyone has Sat to utilize in their own way, and not cut ino the panelists who are presenting at the panels.

Who all would be interested in going out for supper the night before (thur.)? We'll kind of need to see who all would come.

I know none of this is "tips for getting around"...maybe we should start a new thread for this...

Reaction score

could you translate this for me please ?

"I'm looking for the post office"

"I wish to send this to France"

"Where I should throw this postcard ? [in front of a mailbox]"

Thank you

Reaction score

"I'm looking for the post office"
"Yubinkyoku" is post office.
"Yubinkyoku wa doko desu ka?" Where is the post office?
"Konohen ni yubinkyoku ga arimasu ka?" Is there a post office around here?
"Yubinkyoku wo sagashiteimasu ga..." I'm looking for a post office...

"I wish to send this to France"
"(Ea de) Furansu ni okuritaindesuga..." I'd like to send this to France (via airmail).

"Where I should throw this postcard ? [in front of a mailbox]"
"Throw" a postcard? "Ehagaki doko e nagetara ii deshou ka?"

Reaction score

Thank you very much

It is a bit selfish because I don't know if any of you will have time or plan to visit the country but I have others sentences I wish you to translate:

"I wish to pre-order (?) 2 seats for Kyoto ( and then back to Tokyo ) on ( add any day of the week
) " [ using JR pass ].

"Where I can purchase a ticket (bus or train ) to go to Mont Fudji?"

"Where can I buy a phone card to call overseas ?"