Hey there, Rebelscum fans! This week in our coverage we’re tackling the short lived, but beloved Rebellion comic book series from Dark Horse comics. If you’re interested in the series, make sure to read about its development and history in our “Expand Your Mind” article. Stay tuned for more Rebellion content throughout the week with Bobby’s insightful videos, our “Force Facts” trivia, and a fun “Character Profile” on Deena Shan.
Before Rebellion began exploring the Galactic Civil War era between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, the Empire comics from Dark Horse filled the void both before and during the period. The 40-issue series ran from 2002 to 2006, where Rebellion then took on the rest of the run. Although some would consider it a rebranding, the two series were distinct in the stories they told. Here’s a preview of the storylines you can read if you’re catching up on Empire.
- “Betrayal:” Its Imperial intrigue from the inside out. A group of vengeful Moffs plan a doomed plot to take out Darth Vader and Palpatine and seize control of the Imperial Senate, and it goes as well as you’d expect.
- “Princess… Warrior:” It’s Leia’s story, and the heir to the destroyed Alderaan gets in on the action and isn’t stuck at the negotiating table. This series partially adapts elements from the original Star Wars radio drama.
- “Darklighter:” Luke’s best friend that’s tragically killed in the Death Star assault gets his own prequel, showing the events that first aligned him with the Empire and decide to enlist in the burgeoning Rebel Alliance instead.
- “The Short, Happy Life of Roons Sewell:” General Dodanna is a commanding presence in A New Hope, and his prequel storyline is shown in this storyline, which shows how the rebels settled on the Yavin IV location.
- “To The Last Man:” Luke’s childhood companion Tank reappears in one of his rare roles outside of flashbacks to Luke’s childhood, in a storyline prompter by a fan suggestion.
- “A Little Piece of Home:” Another pre-A New Hope adventure starring a younger Leia, this storyline shows Bail Organa’s daughter representing her father as she gathers allies to fight against the Empire.
- “Idiot’s Array:” Han and Chewie adjust to their new roles in the Rebel Alliance, but demons of Han’s past come back to threaten them on a new mission.
- “General Skywalker:” Thrust into a leadership position after destroying the Death Star, Luke is slightly unprepared for the role of General. The storyline features one of Luke’s first assignments working alongside Wedge Antilles.
- “In The Shadow of Their Fathers:” During a critical mission, Luke begins piecing together clues of Anakin’s past as he ventures to the site of the Battle of Jabiim.
- “The Wrong Side of the War:” Luke and Tank cross paths again in another storyline beginning on Jabiim, which has nearly been wiped out by the Empire.
What do you think, Rebelscum fans? What are your favorite Empire storylines? Do you prefer Empire or Rebellion? Let us know below, and as always, make the Force be with you!