Tie Striker With TIE Fighter Pilot

Reaction score
Was the TIE Striker Transport also seen on the planet we first see Cassian??
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, there is a shot of it flying over the main street of the asteroid [/FONT]city/[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]station (aka[/FONT] the Ring of Kafrene) [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]where we first see Cassian [/FONT]

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks!
I'm looking forward to watching R1 on slow speed and pausing every time something looks interesting.
I just got a Rebels vehicle at a thrift shop but it doesn't really look like the body of the TIE Transport.

Reaction score

There are also several Tie Striker concepts which
instead of the pill shaped fuselage we got, use the standard sphere shaped body, and have the connected back-wing-spoiler configuration of what would become the Death Trooper Transport.
Here are the TIE Striker concepts I was referencing, which use the wing-spoiler which is instead used on the TIE(Death Trooper)Transport.

Have to say I kind of prefer these designs.

Reaction score
Same here. There's something cool about the "bubble look", versus the "tube" look. The design they went with more resembles "Bomber", if you ask me.

Reaction score
This looks cool but I didn't buy it because it's not worth the $50 (for me). It was barely in the movie after all the hype

Reaction score
Can anyone with a good memory remember if regular black tie pilots were shown in the film? I remember the ones with the silver face stripes shown several times, but I can't remember the standard pilot being shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Can anyone with a good memory remember if regular black tie pilots were shown in the film? I remember the ones with the silver face stripes shown several times, but I can't remember the standard pilot being shown.

I don't think they were, I've seen the movie twice and they don't show Tie pilots much at all but I remember the silver stripes.

Reaction score
There's a few running around in the foreground when the X-Wings attack Eadu, if I recall correctly.

Reaction score
Got one of these on clearance for $15 at Kroger last night. Definitely worth it for that price but I would have been upset if I paid full retail.

Reaction score
After having seen the movie, this along with the at-act seems really unnecessary. I think it saw the striker twice? Why regular ties weren't flying on scariff is beyond me. However I do love the u-wing still

Reaction score
After having seen the movie, this along with the at-act seems really unnecessary. I think it saw the striker twice? Why regular ties weren't flying on scariff is beyond me. However I do love the u-wing still
Think of the TIE Striker as the Empire's air speeder. We've got Scariff that is cut off from space by the shield, so if any TIE's are stationed on the surface they aren't going to see much action outside the atmosphere. Sure the TIE Fighter can operate both in space and in an atmosphere, but I would assume the TIE Striker is special made for atmospheric performance. So the Striker makes sense to use it over the standard TIE Fighter in such a special circumstance as Scariff demands. I assume the Fleet Officers wouldn't like having their precious TIE Fighters being wasted stuck planetside behind a shield.

Reaction score
They shot an entire scene where a regular tie fighter confronts Jyn on scarif. Despite it not being used in the movie, surely the striker was designed in preproduction well before this scene was deleted. If what you are saying is true and there is a distinct difference between the striker and the standard tie fighter, why wasn't a striker confronting Jyn?

Reaction score
They shot an entire scene where a regular tie fighter confronts Jyn on scarif. Despite it not being used in the movie, surely the striker was designed in preproduction well before this scene was deleted. If what you are saying is true and there is a distinct difference between the striker and the standard tie fighter, why wasn't a striker confronting Jyn?
That scene was created for the trailer. It's the same shot as the scene of Jyn heading for the tower console used in the film, but it didn't seem dramatic enough out of context so they dropped a TIE in there for the trailer.

Reaction score
That scene was created for the trailer. It's the same shot as the scene of Jyn heading for the tower console used in the film, but it didn't seem dramatic enough out of context so they dropped a TIE in there for the trailer.

Right I get that, why wasn't a striker used?

Reaction score
Not wanting to market it and show off the new striker? Hmm....that doesn't sound right

Reaction score
As I understand the scene was in fact shot for the film, it would have been followed by the X-Wing fleet arriving and shooting it away, allowing Jyn to proceed, at the same time the X-Wings and U-Wings taking aout the AT-Walkers, particularly the barrage against the AT-Walkers, and shot of the being taken out.
According to the editor, there was a redundancy of shots and pacing issues, so at least one scene (among many other we didn't even see) had to go.
The trailer editors meantime, just choose from what's available, regardless if it will make the final cut.

As far as why it was a standard TIE and not a Striker, could be to parallel it against the classic X-Wing which shot it out, or for the impact of hovering there, and proximity to Jyn the Standard TIE wing configuration allowed for a stronger composition.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Presumably by then, the shields were down and TIES could come through. (Not that it matters. Even if Strikers were the primary mode of transportation that doesn't mean there were absolutely no TIES under the shield.)

I don't get this all or nothing mentality prevalent just about everywhere these days.

Reaction score
Well, there is only so much room in the hangars. So you can't fit every type of craft all at the same time. lol
And since there were SD's in orbit, there would be no reason for TIE's on the ground. Right?
I'm not one of those all or nothing thinkers, but I do believe in using only what is needed for the mission at the time. However, a base the size of that, you'd think that they would have a contingent of every unit.
Because you can't store everything on an SD.

Reaction score
Im just not seeing the purpose of the striker. How is this any different than a tie fighter or interceptor?

Reaction score
I wasn't saying it was all TIE Strikers and nothing else, just gave what I thought was a decent reasoning for there being so many TIE Strikers on the planet. Don't forget the ring base thing, the shield opening, was full of TIE Fighters. They probably used those both in space and on the planet. Considering it's location, all they have to do is take off and point down and they're in atmosphere. It makes sense to have their space superiority fighters based where they can be quickly dispatched to either surface or space. Rather than having them stuck in a ground hanger and wasting precious time to get into space, or risk being stuck behind the shield unable to assist in a space battle.

Reaction score
Im just not seeing the purpose of the striker. How is this any different than a tie fighter or interceptor?
Conceptually Strikers maneuver better, quicker in atmosphere. While regular TIEs for outer space, how is that complicated for you?

Reaction score
LOL wish I could edit that but it's just to funny.
Conceptually Strikers maneuver better, quicker in atmosphere. While regular TIEs maneuver better, quicker in space.
It's not complicated. :weeabooface:​

Reaction score
My 2 cents:

TIE Strikers are for surface operations, that's why the solar panels point up.
TIE Fighters and its variations are optimized for outer space fight, that why the solar panels point mostly to the sides.

Reaction score
if this reaches $20, and I actually see it. I may get this. I have an idea about a project for it.

Reaction score
Presumably by then, the shields were down and TIES could come through. (Not that it matters. Even if Strikers were the primary mode of transportation that doesn't mean there were absolutely no TIES under the shield.)

I don't get this all or nothing mentality prevalent just about everywhere these days.
Unimaginative, intellectually devoid people that need every detail laid out

Reaction score
Maybe. But if they leave it to our/your imagination, then explain it much later. We've all assumed something very different. I think it is because of the old days where a lot of things went unexplained, only to be expanded upon later. But then not even wind up Canon.

I'm not saying every minute detail needs an explanation, but I can see where people would want more info on certain aspect. We also tend to approach these movies with a sense of realism from our own world, and forget that it's all "Fantasy". it's Human nature.

Reaction score
If you're going backwards in an established story and then adding new things close to the time line of the original story, you have to becareful. Otherwise you create contradictions. Films are not reality, and as such they follow a different set of rules. Films are a condensed reality and everything is put in their for a reason. The u-wing for me rang true probably because it's an original vehicle and I can forgive its absence in the original trilogy, perhaps because this particular craft was not used in the battles we saw. If however we see new VERSIONS already existing crafts then the question becomes "why is this new tie fighter here? What happened to them going forward in the OT? This AT-AT is so similar to the old one, why are these changes important to the story?"

This is where we could see the at-act or striker do something that is a variation or outside the scope what at-ats or ties are capable of, even if it's a small difference. For example we might see a tie striker along side tie fighters. They fly past the tie fighters at a much greater speed and into the atmosphere of the planet where the ties pull up and remain in orbit/outer space.

"Ah, that's what those do"

Because this story is a ret-con of sorts, there's a greater need to set things up properly. The interceptor didn't suffer from this because the story moved forward so one can easily deduce these are some how an evolution of the tie fighter even if we don't see them doing anything particularly differently from the standard tie fighter.

Reaction score
If you're going backwards in an established story and then adding new things close to the time line of the original story, you have to becareful. Otherwise you create contradictions. Films are not reality, and as such they follow a different set of rules. Films are a condensed reality and everything is put in their for a reason. The u-wing for me rang true probably because it's an original vehicle and I can forgive its absence in the original trilogy, perhaps because this particular craft was not used in the battles we saw. If however we see new VERSIONS already existing crafts then the question becomes "why is this new tie fighter here? What happened to them going forward in the OT? This AT-AT is so similar to the old one, why are these changes important to the story?"

This is where we could see the at-act or striker do something that is a variation or outside the scope what at-ats or ties are capable of, even if it's a small difference. For example we might see a tie striker along side tie fighters. They fly past the tie fighters at a much greater speed and into the atmosphere of the planet where the ties pull up and remain in orbit/outer space.

"Ah, that's what those do"

Because this story is a ret-con of sorts, there's a greater need to set things up properly. The interceptor didn't suffer from this because the story moved forward so one can easily deduce these are some how an evolution of the tie fighter even if we don't see them doing anything particularly differently from the standard tie fighter.
I get what you're saying regarding the Striker, and overall I feel it probably was more an excuse to sell toys. The dropship version was really more impressive than the Strikers themselves. That said, some of the other stuff added did make sense. The At-ACTs were cargo carriers first, used to move resources around Scarif. But they were built on the same sort of designs as the AT-ATs, so they still have weapons for defense. Scarif just happened to already be a well fortified planet.

Reaction score
If the big one was a dropship for the Death Troopers, then what was one doing flying over the streets of the trading outpost before we first meet Cassian?

Reaction score
If the big one was a dropship for the Death Troopers, then what was one doing flying over the streets of the trading outpost before we first meet Cassian?
Dropping some other troopers?

Not everyone can afford a fancy Lambda after all.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the breather unit detaches from the Tie Fighter Pilot figures chest?

I got a Tie Striker today and the breather unit isn't totally straight on my Tie Fighter Pilot.

Reaction score
Noticed my local Gamestop had these on clearance for $25. Might be another place to check them out if your Wal-Mart or Target doesn't have any.While searching on eBay I noticed a few offered lots of Tie Pilots you can buy, its marked as Vintage Collection TIE Pilots (excate wording might be differ). One is $6, three are like $10 and five are roughly $14. Since its from China I kinda expect them to be knock offs, but besides all of that, are they the same sculpt that comes with the TIE Striker? They look to be 5POA and the helmets seemed to be a really nice sculpt.

Reaction score
Noticed my local Gamestop had these on clearance for $25. Might be another place to check them out if your Wal-Mart or Target doesn't have any.While searching on eBay I noticed a few offered lots of Tie Pilots you can buy, its marked as Vintage Collection TIE Pilots (excate wording might be differ). One is $6, three are like $10 and five are roughly $14. Since its from China I kinda expect them to be knock offs, but besides all of that, are they the same sculpt that comes with the TIE Striker? They look to be 5POA and the helmets seemed to be a really nice sculpt.
I believe if you got back a couple pages, someone was buying these, and they aren't bootlegs, but probably factory defects. I think the person buying mentioned some had excess glue that could be scraped off , or other minor problems, but nothing that really affected the quality of the figures themselves. Guessing though as factory defects, you're kind of playing the lottery with what kind of damage you get.

Reaction score
Thanks! I did check back a few pages and saw the posts, they look great and its good to know they are the same sculpt. I had thought about getting it for $25 just for the pilot, but now that I know about those I'll save some money and get more figures lol. I wonder if the helmet sculpt will fit on the neck post of those Biggs TIE pilots.

Reaction score
Great White Shark capitol of the United States
I have tried to embrace this new TIE design but I just can't. I have to say that I HATE it. To my eye it looks clunky and awkward. I do not own either the FORE AWAKENS TIE fighter which I happen to love because it looks so flimsy and cheap. This toy looks much sturdier but it's design doesn't appeal to me. And the NERF gun..........