TIE Interceptor

Reaction score
Re: Tie Interceptor.

I saw it today as well. My local TRU had two TIES, ten Darth Mauls, one Chocobi-Wan, one 13" Chewie, and eight 12" Dewbacks. With the exception of the TIE, they haven't restocked in ages.

Reaction score

So apok did you get one? Or did ya pass as well?

Reaction score
Re: TIE Interceptor!!! Yes!!!

They essentially are the vintage wings with raised details as opposed to stickers

to unwarp the wings, bend and keep them bent, in the direction you want them in for an extended period of time (i'm talking days, maybe a week) they'll go back to their proper shape

Reaction score

Lady Jaye, now we disagree , haha

I'm a diorama builder though, and army builder so I hold some allegiance to stuff like this...

The Interceptor's the best ship of the line so far... As a custom ship builder, this is one of the only ships I won't HAVE to make so it's correct, or buy a vintage one to repaint... The raised wings are nice, the paintjob's stellar, and the pilot's a subtle, but awesome update of the POTF2 TIE pilot (Much cooler with the new legs)

You're passing up a great ship IMO... It's so far, other than the A-Wing, the only scale ship really... Should snag one if it's within your budget

Also, why are there 3 of this same topic? haha

Reaction score
Re: TIE Interceptor!!! Yes!!!

Thanks JJ, I'm thinking maybe I can help along the process with a blow dryer too...

Reaction score

I'd pass if I were you, too, Lady Jaye. Now if they made a resculpted TIE Interceptor in scale with the figures, that would be different. An electronic Power F/X version would rock and complement the X-wing! This, however, is just another re-issue with prettier wings, like the POTF2 TIE Fighter. If I had the Vintage one, I'd skip this one.

Personally, I was hoping Hasbro would at least correct the details on the hull rather than the wings. I'd much rather have a cockpit that opened the right way, a corrected engine area, and deleted diode point up front. Disappointing, except for a slightly retooled pilot. Yawn.

Reaction score

um this is to scale, the only real body flaw is the battery compartment on the back, and that can be overlooked rather than paying a higher price for it to have a new mold tooled...

Reaction score

I passed on it. I stopped buying vehicles a long time ago. I just don't have the space to display them properly. I was going to turn my larger spare room into my new collection room but I got a roommate instead.

Reaction score

I amazingly found the TIE Interceptor here today as well, in the area devoid of new stuff, a.k.a. Southeastern Michigan. The TRU here had 2 of them, as well as a few 12 and 13 inch figs, plus the usual peg warmers, with one Bespin Guard. The 12-inch scale Dewbacks have collected more dust than my uncle's pet rock, sitting there at 79.99. HELLOOO??? Reduce price anyone??? Anyway, I picked up one of the Interceptors...very nice addition to my vehicle collection. A scalper shop wanted $45 for it here, so I scooped it up at $29.99. Go me

Reaction score

Lady Jaye, one reason the b-wing are more prevelent than the y-wing is the price. The y-wing was $20 to the $40 b-wing. So, collectors and scalpers bought multiples of the y-wings.

gMt

Reaction score
TIE Interceptor available ON-LINE

For those of you that still haven't had any luck finding the new TIE (like ME), Amazon now has it on-line (Thanks Bananapunk!). The link is on the BHC mainpage if interested.

The shipping coupon didn't work for me, but the $10 off over $65 coupon did. I ended up getting two for $57 including shipping--less than I would have paid buying at the store. No tax, no running around beating my head against the wall, no hassles. Way to go, Amazon/TRU. This is how it's supposed to work!

Reaction score
Molds used for TIE Interceptor.

Did I hear someone say that the same mold was used for the new Interceptor as the vintage one? I don't have a vintage TIE to compare it to but the new one's cockpit does seem similar to the TIE Fighter I had back in '79.

Reaction score
Re: TIE Interceptor available ON-LINE

Yippee! I too have not been able to find the TIE...and the TRU out here has not gotten any new SW in months!!

Thanks for the link and thanks to amazon.com!

G

Aw come on! I posted this WAY before it was on the main page...I deserve credit!

Reaction score

Wow! I didn't know the Y-Wings went for that low a price. Thanks for the info Storm....uhhh Jedi Shadow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one passing of these vehicles. I agree with Mister PL, had the Tie Interceptor been a completely new resculpt then I would have bought two, but sadly it was just another re-hash.
Liek I said when the Tie Bomber comes out I will definately buy one at least. And if a Jabba the Hutt ever comes out, he;ll be on my shelf as well. That is unless they re-hash th old 80's mold. Ugh how horrible would that be?

gMt

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bringerofnews:
Aw come on! I posted this WAY before it was on the main page...I deserve credit!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry dude, didn't see your post. If you deserve credit, so be it. I'm just glad to be able to get the ship at such a good deal, regardless of HOW I get it!

Reaction score

that is good news. One of the 4 TRUs here finally got them last week. All the new 12" Death Star series is on Amazon.com also

Reaction score

that is good news. One of the 4 TRUs here finally got them last week. All the new 12" Death Star series is on Amazon.com also

G

Thank you Matt, now if I could get credit on the home page...hehhehheh

Reaction score

That's just it though, the 80's TIE Interceptor is almost 100% true to the movie... They raised the details of the wings so they're not just stickers now, and the rest pretty much falls into place...

The only flaw as I said, is the battery box on the back, but I overlook that since it'd take a new mold and would cost a fair bit more because of that...

Reaction score

it's gone now, hope you all got em when you needed em!

Reaction score

Im passing on the Interceptor as well. There isnt justification to pay that much on a rehashed vintage vehicle in my view. Im eagerly waiting for the Bomber tho.

Reaction score
Re: Molds used for TIE Interceptor.

The mold's essentially the same

The wings are raised details, not stickers...

The Gun barrels are blackened out as opposed to being painted green or orangish as the models of TIE Fighters had... The Interceptor had the gunbarrels on the cockpits, contrary to popular belief, but they were blackened so not to show at all...

The only flaw really is that the battery box on the back of the cockpit ball is STILL there, and it's a fair size eyesore, but for a scale ship, at $30, this really can't be beat

Dax

Reaction score

Well to be totally anal about the whole thing the Interceptor is correctly proportioned but it is not correctly scaled. It should be a reasonable amount larger, probably somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times its current size.

While a resculpt of the cockpit with the battery compartment would have been great I'm still happy to have the vehicle as it is. It's certainly better than the option of not having it produced at all. Even the TIE Bomber will be reusing the wings from the Vader's TIE so Hasbro are saving some development and mold costs there.

I think it's a great vehicle and I'm just glad that I got it at a good price. $60 Australian (about $30 US) at Myer/Grace Bros as opposed to the $90 (about $45 US) that TRU want here. Can you spot the scalper?

Some people complain about the cost of it but here it works out to be worth about 4 figures in value. Overall I think that's quite reasonable and I'm sure if you back tracked to '83 prices you'll find that the Interceptor back then cost significantly more than the equivelent of four figures did at the same time. Something to think about.

Dax

Reaction score

I am a ship customizer, and scaling things has always been the first skill, by all sources when averaged, and using still shots of the film, this TIE is 1:17 scale, with star wars at 1:18 (Varying usually, but assumed 1:18) this ship would be HUGE at 1.5 to 2 times larger, and way off scale...

This is using LFL's model dimensions even, so it's near scale, more so than the FX X-Wing which is 85% true scale... You can compair them to holding the Interceptor to an FX X-Wing and compairing the two... The X-Wing should substantially outweigh the Interceptor in overall size, When both are properly scaled, but the X-Wing at 85% is about the same size as the TIE Int. toy, so that's pretty visual evidence of it's being to scale...

The cockpit's the only thing off even, the wings are scale, the cockpit's slightly underscaled, but not much (The DV TIE Cockpit's scale, and a good example of how much larger the Int Cockpit should be)

Reaction score

I passed on it as well. I saw a few in the Portland Maine TRU but they just didn't look like they were worth $30. In general, I don't do vehicles, unless they are something I can't live without (or with pack-ins I can't live without). The Tie was just not that great. I'd rather get some extras of regular figures or buy some Lego sets.

Reaction score

I luckily found one today. Only one on the shelf, so I snatched it up. After popping off those little plastic things on the back of the wing I am very happy with this ship. The pilot leaves much to be desired though. Don't see the point of the articulated knees, and my pilot is more of a bobblehead doll then a figure. Of course since I didn't buy this for the figure, that isn't a big deal.

Reaction score
Did anybody have problems finding the TIE Interceptor in the store?

I had school off today, so I decided to stop in Toys R Us before football practice. They moved the Star Wars stuff since the last time I was there so it took me a little while to find it. When I did I was please to finally find a Bespin Guard and Ketwol, and I saw lots of the new 12" figures there, but no TIE I. Last time I was there they had a shelf just for the TIE I and it was right with the Star Wars stuff of course. This time I didn't see a shelf for it there. I know they couldn't have stopped carrying it already! Do you guys think they moved it somewhere else or what? Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this and if any of you encountered this.

Reaction score
Re: Did anybody have problems finding the TIE Interceptor in the store?

I was relatively persistent for a couple weeks, calling to see if it had come in, visiting when I got the chance. One day, I noticed the empty shelf space and by the end of the week, there they were; eight of them, freshly stocked.

So no, no problem finding it here.

Reaction score

Tons of em here in Pgh. I can tell these are already gonna be clearance fodder.
Lots of B-Wings too!

Reaction score

And weren't they near the Star Wars stuff? It doesn't make sense for my TRU to have the shelf for them, then a few weeks later move all the SW stuff to a different location and not have a shelf for them near it!

Reaction score

Yup, right in with the rest of the Star Wars planogram. Though I've read some reports of pyramids of TIEs stacked in aisles. It probably has a lot to do with seasonal timing, shuffling areas around for the coming Holiday Season.

Reaction score

The TRUs in my area just stack them on the floor next to the little peg board thing with the Star Wars stuff.

G

I haven't seen them here in Omaha, NE yet. Which is odd, we usually get stuff in about the correct amount of quantity. So today I asked at TRU, and was told that because the 12" Dewback and Sandtrooper didn't sell (only 4 out of 36 have sold) and the 12" Bounty Hunters and 12" Maul/Vaders aren't selling in great numbers, they took it as a sign that Star Wars was a slow seller, and didn't order much. We may not see them unless TRU warehouses dump them and force the stores to carry them.

Reaction score

I was really persistantly hitting the 4 TRUs here constantly getting really frustrated. Then last Sunday when I had given up there it was.

G

These seem to be hitting the Chicago area in good numbers. I have seen the tie interceptor 4 times and during each time I have seen 6-8 interceptors stacked on top of each other. I feel that once the excitement dies down, these will sit just like the B-wing unless it goes on clearance. Speaking of clearance, isnt it time for the 12 inch dewback and stormtrooper to go on clearance?

gMt

Reaction score

Unbelievable, all these reports of people finding the TIEs in large quantities. Supposedly these hit the Jax TRUs in one small wave last week and that was it. Never EVER saw these at the stores. I hear all these rumors about a ton of them "at the warehouse". Thank God for the Amazon offering yesterday.

This said, I'm sure I'll find 20 at my local TRU today. Sheesh.

Reaction score

everybody says there is always one left...
well my TRU got in 66 of them.
i don't know how many were there when i got there but it is deffinately one less

they probably still have them but it was like 2 weeks ago.

Reaction score

So far the TRU out here has not gotten them in. All it has are the old E1 figures and of course, the Dewback at regular price.
I even tried another TRU that was a county away, and it was the same old story, of the same old nothing new.

Reaction score

I know I haven't seen anything of the Tie Interceptor around here. The TRU I frequently visit is in Sioux City, IA...and I have never seen any signs of them there. They recently had a 12" Han and Death Star Trooper, and they still have tons of 12" Dewbacks and Vader/Mauls. I hope that they will get them in sometime....just something about being able to find the stuff yourself, without having to resort to online places. Happy Hunting!