ThunderCats

Reaction score
I"m not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but TNI is reporting Bandai has been granted TunderCats Toy License.
The toys will be based on the new Animated series set to air in 2011 on Cartoon Network
Sounds cool if they produce Action Figures in 3.75" scale!

Reaction score
Re: TunderCats

"TunderCats"?

Hopefully they're a bit better than Bandai's Teen Titans and Ben10 figures. They've made some good ones, but I remember with early Ben10 and throughout Teen Titans, they were NOTORIOUS for showing pictures of "SA" figures on the packaging, but the actual figures had maybe 4 or 5 POA only.

My expectations are low for the line because of that, and the fact we still don't know what the series designs will look like. Just a promo poster that's not really indicative of how the animation will really look... decent looks at the changes to the Sword of Omens & the claw-shield, but that's about it.

Reaction score
Thundercats

My expectations are extremely low. I was pretty disappointed that Mattel and the 4H didn't get it, and I have never seen a Bandai toy that got me excited.

Plus, I think this will be aimed at children.

If Bandai subbed out the "Classic" contract and production to Matty Collector (ala Hasbro and Sideshow and the 12" line) then I would be happy.

Reaction score
Re: Thundercats

TheRealDubya said:
My expectations are extremely low. I was pretty disappointed that Mattel and the 4H didn't get it, and I have never seen a Bandai toy that got me excited.

Plus, I think this will be aimed at children.

If Bandai subbed out the "Classic" contract and production to Matty Collector (ala Hasbro and Sideshow and the 12" line) then I would be happy.
I agree 100% with Dubya here. These will not be Matty quality, I am envisioning Power Rangers with wild hair.

Reaction score

Mattel gets Voltron and Bandai gets thundercats. Bizzaro world.

Dont forget the line of "stactions" that are coming out from another company also.

austin

Reaction score

I say give Bandai a chance, they may surprise everyone, and I would love for them to become competition for Hasbro and Mattel, then these two companies might wake up and smell the coffee, I am hoping for good things - and also we don't know how good these figures are or aren't going to be as we haven't seen anything yet, I am holding out hope that these are good. And would love for them to be in the same height range as the 4H Masters of the Universe.

Reaction score

They won't be as good as the 4 Horsemen. I say more in the range of DC universe and Marvel Universe 3.75 line.

Reaction score

acave said:
They won't be as good as the 4 Horsemen. I say more in the range of DC universe and Marvel Universe 3.75 line.
I don't follow... you say they won't be as good as the 4 Horsemen but then compare what they might be like to a line that the 4 Horsemen designed...

Reaction score

I think when he says "DC universe and Marvel Universe 3.75" he means 3.75 for BOTH, ie, Infinite Heroes.

Reaction score

I was a casual fan of "Thundercats" back in the '80's - I liked the cartoon, but never collected the toys (even though I thought some of them looked cool).

However, I think this Thundercats re-vamp sounds cool - I'd be interested to see how the new cartoon turns out, and I am very interested to see what they do with the new toyline; I would love to see the old character designs re-vamped for the 21st century. It would be nice to see Lion-O, Cheetara, etc. with a streamlined modern but also retro look, similiar to the A. Asylum-sculpted MOTU line from the early 2000's.

Reaction score
would love to see a really cool super articulated 3.75" line of Thundercats... that would be awesome......

Thunder...Thunder...THUNDER..... THUNDERCATS........HOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry was a huge Lion-O fan back in the day

Reaction score
Photos from London Toyfair are leaking from Bandai's Thundercats booth! Albeit blurry, you can see the new animated character designs, 4" figures of Lion-O, Tigra, Cheetara & Panthro on display with a Thunder Tank and roleplay telescoping Sword of Omens! There also appears to be a Thunder Lynx (?), a Tower/Lair playset and a 6" Classics line of "limited edition" collector figures (old-school Lion-O pictured - compared to MOTU Classics, can't wait for clarification on production/distribution for these)...

Reaction score
pictures are coming on the web from the UK Toyfair- search around to find them (beat me by a minute). Also for those collecting the Hard Hero statues, check out some of my pics
Bengali Pics

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is Lion-O's hair. But I'll get around it. I can get with the rest of it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the very cool pic. from the London Toyfair - this is excellent news. I like the new retro 'look' of the Thundercats; it seems like they've got a new manga-type appearance, while obviously retaining the old designs as well. The new figures sound great. Looking forward to these as well as the new cartoon.

Reaction score
Huge fan of the original cartoon series... will definitely add these to my collection. Looks like the last photo in the corner labeled 'planogram' has 10 3 3/4" figures lined up for series one!

Reaction score
Those look about in line with Ben 10 figures. Definitely like the vehicles and playset though. I wonder how long before they hit shelves.

Reaction score
I really never thought they'd invest in an AF line for this, but I'm glad they did and am intrigued by the prospects the line might bring.
While they have a few already listed and I'm sure they have a full figure lineup they'd like to get to eventually, I lay odds on not ever seeing a Cheetara figure!
I'll definitely get all I can find and hope the line lasts long enough to make all the characters

Reaction score
JediKnutt said:
There's a Cheetara figure in the pics.
I know, but she's a female character and we all know how that turns out...
Plus the fact in the press statement they were only releasing Lion-O and Tygra first to test the waters, so how does one test the water on only two figures anyways.

Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing more Pictures at Toy Fair coming up this month (Feb 12-14th), theres a few things I want to see online from this Toy Fair - not only Star Wars.

And if they are going to look half as good as I think they are going to look I will be collecting these.

Reaction score
Masterfett said:
JediKnutt said:
Plus the fact in the press statement they were only releasing Lion-O and Tygra first to test the waters, so how does one test the water on only two figures anyways.
Mattel did a similar initial release with He-Man & Beast-Man to test the MOTU Classics market.

Reaction score
Harbinger said:
Masterfett said:
JediKnutt said:
Mattel did a similar initial release with He-Man & Beast-Man to test the MOTU Classics market.
And, it should be noted that the "water testing" is only for the adult collector targeted "Classic Line."

Here's the Wave/Case breakdown from BBTS:

Thundercats 2011 Bandai Case Assortments

Thundercats (2011) Toys, Action Figures, and Collectibles

Thundercats 2011 4" Deluxe Figure Series 01
1x Lion-O
1x Grune
1x Tygra
1x Mumm-Ra

Thundercats 2011 4" Deluxe Figure Series 01R1 - Set of 7

1x Lion-O
1x Tygra
1x Panthro
1x Cheetara
1x Wily-Kit
1x Wily-Kat
1x Mumm-Ra (Mummy)

Thundercats 2011 6" Collector Figure Series 01
1x Lion-O
1x Panthro
1x Mumm-Ra

Thundercats 2011 8" Classic Collectior Figure Series 01
1x Lion-O - with long Sword of Omens, short Sword of Omens, ThunderClaw
1x Tygra

Reaction score
elkkthunder said:
new pics from bandai
Lion-O and more
Thanks for that, very cool...It's definitely a new generation of Thundercats!

I think the quality of the new show will go along way to either persuade or dissuade any Classicists. Anywho, I'm definitely onboard, it's been far too long since we've had Thundercats on shelves!

Reaction score
Will be picking these up seeing GL has disappointed me, plus I love the Thundercats, I just wish they would do the MOTU in this size.

And were getting Grune in the First Wave way cool. I want to see Hachiman and The Snowman of Hook Mountain and Snow Meow.

Reaction score
have to say not excited by the look of the new figures. was hoping for more of a nod to the 80's versions of the characters. Lion looks to samuri ish. i guess i'll have to wait and see how they look at retail before making my final judgement on them but at this moment it's leaning towards pass on these for me.

Reaction score
Better "samurai-ish" than "Spandex undies, no pants, showin' off abs, big poofy hair". They look okay so far, but it's Bandai, so I worry that what we see in the photos won't be what we get (like their Teen Titans Go figures, and several Ben10 figures, featuring highly-articulated photos of the figures, but bland low-articulation figures in the bubbles more often than not)

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
Better "samurai-ish" than "Spandex undies, no pants, showin' off abs, big poofy hair". They look okay so far, but it's Bandai, so I worry that what we see in the photos won't be what we get (like their Teen Titans Go figures, and several Ben10 figures, featuring highly-articulated photos of the figures, but bland low-articulation figures in the bubbles more often than not)
Agreed, I love the classic looks (and am more excited for the new Classics line than anything), but the original character designs are very dated today. I think the new designs look great for a modern Thundercats update. Hopefully the show will be great as well!

Reaction score
Great new pics. - Thanks for the link. I may be in the minority here, but I think these new TC figures look great- I actually like them better than the originals.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think this line will (hopefully) do well with both adults who were kids when the original cartoon was out and will be into the line because of nostalgia, and also with kids who will be getting into the new toys/cartoon for the first time. I guess I just can't see this line being almost purely collector-fueled (as the 25th-anniversary G.I. Joe figure line seemed to be, for example). But, we'll see.

Hopefully it will do well enough to justify coming out with some subsequent waves which will include some of the other characters (i.e. the aforementioned Hachi-Man (sp?!), The Snow/Walrus man, etc.)