Thrawn: Treason by Timoth Zahn

Reaction score
so I am assuming there will be a SDCC exclusive cover with no text so the Trilogy will all have matching SDCC covers?

Reaction score
Great cover! I'm definitely planning to get Thrawn: Treason in HC, but will wait until it goes down in price - since it's scheduled to be released as a HC in late July 2019, hopefully it'll be reduced in price before it's later released in PB. I typically collect new SW books in HC only, if possible.

I only have the first Thrawn novel, so still need to get Thrawn: Alliances. Once I read both of them (not anytime soon), I'll look into getting the third novel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, Zahn is definitely a prolific writer. All three Thrawn books have been (or will be) released about a year apart (April 2017, July 2018, and the forthcoming third novel in July 2019).

This is similar to the length of time it took Zahn's initial three Star Wars novels to be released between 1991 & 1993 (HTTE, DFR, and TLC).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't loved the last two Thrawn novels. They've been a bit dull, for lack of a better word. :\

Reaction score
An excerpt that I'm sure most, if not all of us have seen.

Grand Admiral Thrawn faces the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Empire in this epic Star Wars novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn.

“If I were to serve the Empire, you would command my allegiance.”

Such was the promise Grand Admiral Thrawn made to Emperor Palpatine at their first meeting. Since then, Thrawn has been one of the Empire’s most effective instruments, pursuing its enemies to the very edges of the known galaxy. But as keen a weapon as Thrawn has become, the Emperor dreams of something far more destructive.

Now, as Thrawn’s TIE defender program is halted in favor of Director Krennic’s secret Death Star project, he realizes that the balance of power in the Empire is measured by more than just military acumen or tactical efficiency. Even the greatest intellect can hardly compete with the power to annihilate entire planets.

As Thrawn works to secure his place in the Imperial hierarchy, his former protégé Eli Vanto returns with a dire warning about Thrawn’s homeworld. Thrawn’s mastery of strategy must guide him through an impossible choice: duty to the Chiss Ascendancy, or fealty to the Empire he has sworn to serve. Even if the right choice means committing treason.

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I haven't loved the last two Thrawn novels. They've been a bit dull, for lack of a better word. :\
I agree, although the first was much better and more interesting than Alliances. I have a few pages left of Alliances and it's been a bit underwhelming to say the least. His rendition of Darth Vader is a bit...strange, but at least Padmé was written decently. :whistling:

Reaction score
Mine just arrived from Amazon. I'm looking forward to finding a few free hours to start digging into it.

Reaction score
I'm through chapter 9 and so far this is infinitely better than Alliances.

Reaction score
Finished this tonight. A fitting ending to the trilogy and seemed to take the worthwhile parts of the weaker book, Alliances, and use them effectively.

Hopefully TROS does the same for TLJ.

Anyway definitely an enjoyable read. I really hope we get some more Thrawn is some of the new media.

Without spoilers Treason makes it clear that his story is not over despite how Rebels ended

Reaction score
Even though I have the other two previous new Thrawn books in paperback,i guess I wouldnt mind paying 20 bucks or whatever for the hardcover for Thrawn Treason when I go to Barnes and Noble next week in August when Im going out of town for some shopping thats long overdue.

That and the Star Wars prequel novel Master and Apprentice and Shadow Games and whatever else I can find

Reaction score
Just finished it. It was a good read - certainly better than Alliances. Loved the last couple of chapters. They were pretty cinematic and I just imagined a big orchester playing tchaikowsky, while the Star Destroyers went toe-to-toe.

Reaction score
On Amazon currently for $12.99.

Snagged it, but kinda surprised that it's so cheap for a new release hardcover.

I looked back at the other two books when I got those.
First book was $18 and Alliances was $20.
Is this not selling well? That's a quick dip for only being out 8 days as of July 31.

Feel better about getting it now since I felt Alliances was lacking a bit.

Reaction score
On Amazon currently for $12.99.
Thanks - I just ordered Thrawn:Treason for this amazing price. This is a huge discount for a brand new HC - incredible. I got the first Thrawn used (for a decent price) at Half Priced Books, and the second from Amazon for a good price. However, $13 for this is possibly the best price I've seen for a new SW HC.

Reaction score
I pre-ordered it for $15.99 the day before it was released (Amazon)

Reaction score
$16 is a great price of this book as well; that's still over a $10 discount from the retail/list price. I remember back in the day when I was buying more HC's (when actual brick & mortar bookstores were still around to a great extent), I would be happy when getting a discount of $2-$3 - LOL. That being said, HC's are a lot more expensive now, too.

In general, I rarely buy (or even read) books these days. I'm making an exception for these Thrawn books by Zahn because I thought the HTTE trilogy from the early '90's was amazing; and, I feel Zahn really "gets" the SW characters - probably just as much (if not more) than any other SW EU novelist out there. And, when it comes to SW books, I like getting them in HC vs. the PB's. HC's feature better paper, and are more durable re: the binding when it comes to multiple readings. Conversely, PB's are cheaper & more disposable.

Last edited: