Thrawn by Timothy Zahn

Reaction score
Thought I'd find this in-store, but nothing. Ended up ordering it from Amazon.
Should have it in my eager hands by tomorrow.

Reaction score
His line about 4pm at BN was crazy! They've sold out of the Celebration copy but not sure if that was for the day or period.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday. Reading it has been helping me cope with a bout of strep throat. :)
Ooh, that sucks. I never had strep. My sister got it every year. I just dealt with killer sore throats. They finally removed my tonsils 3+ years ago. I hope the enjoyment of reading the book helps to soothe you.

Reaction score
I love Thrawn's monologues, or whatever you want to call them, at the beginning of each chapter. So damn good!!!

Reaction score
Is there anyone down at Celebration who'd be willing to help out a fellow 'scummer with a copy of the convention-exclusive printing? PM if you would!

Reaction score
After reading the book, I hope Thrawn, as well as the Chiss, make an appearance in the upcoming films.

Reaction score
Ooh, that sucks. I never had strep. My sister got it every year. I just dealt with killer sore throats. They finally removed my tonsils 3+ years ago. I hope the enjoyment of reading the book helps to soothe you.
Thanks. And it has. Heh, well, that and antibiotics and ice cream. :)

Reaction score
Is there anyone down at Celebration who'd be willing to help out a fellow 'scummer with a copy of the convention-exclusive printing? PM if you would!
It's sold out unless Del Rey held some for tomorrow and Sunday. BN reverted to selling their exclusive non Xelebration cover.

Reaction score
Can we just have Zahn write all Star Wars novels! Just finished Thrawn, and all I kept thinking as I was reading it was how much better it was than any of the recent novels. Great character development, I actually cared about who they were and their motives. Doesn't get bogged down with to many characters or story lines. He stays focused on the true story and keeps things moving. And no forced social or political commentary, just Star Wars.
Loved it and hope to see more on the Chiss.

Reaction score
I am looking forward to reading my copy... I was able to snag a signed version of the Celebration version.

Reaction score
Ugh, I had a buyer lined up to pick up a Celebration Exclusive copy for me and then I got a message this morning telling me he bailed. I'm pretty mad. I think it has something to do with the current prices on eBay.

Reaction score
Ugh, I had a buyer lined up to pick up a Celebration Exclusive copy for me and then I got a message this morning telling me he bailed. I'm pretty mad. I think it has something to do with the current prices on eBay.
man that terrible! Does anyone know how many they made? Hopefully the price will come down a bit. Haven't seen many move at the current asking prices.

Reaction score
Like you I had someone willing to get it for me. My problem was that they were sold out by the time he got up there.

Reaction score
Well, I'm happy with the plain old ordinary version, myself. It's a great book. I liked learning a lot about Pryce and the history of the Lothal situation in addition to Thrawn, and Eli Vanto is a worthy Pellaeon type character.

Reaction score
Well, even though I haven't gotten to reading it yet. I'm glad he survives the book, and that there's possibly more adventures for him!
Looking forward to reading when I get the time.

Reaction score
As a huge fan of all of Zahn's EU stuff, I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by Thrawn.

Sometimes he felt like a secondary character in his own book, and overall the conclusion was unsatisfying (which may be more understandable if it is indeed part of a trilogy). Perhaps my hype was too high, as I did enjoy it for the most part, but wasn't blown away.

Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, the book finishes about where he enters the Rebels series. Is that right? I guess that allows them to either add stuff not seen in the show during his pursiut of the Rebels or maybe a second book would pick up after whatever he does on Rebels and shows what he's up to during the OT.

Reaction score
Be odd if it does, if in fact it does become a trilogy. Ending the first book where he appears in Rebels would be problematic for doing the next two, if set during Rebels or after.
So as to not spoil one or the other. I'm sure he could tell a side story set during those events, and have nothing to do with Rebels story. But wouldn't that be "confusing" for some?

If he does survive Rebels, then I could see more books for a while.

Reaction score
Thrawn seems very noble was just as shocked as Eli when thrawn said the slaves were an imperial asset. As smart and noble as he is you would think he would join the rebellion or get away from the evils of the empire. Kinda feel thrawn serving the empire will never show his true potential.

Reaction score
Still haven't read it because I am trying to hunt down the Celebration version but no luck so far :(

Reaction score
No no of course it won't make any difference but I just cannot afford to buy the regular version and then the celebration version together :( and I really like the cover of the celebration book very much so waiting to find one for a reasonable price..
Will it make a difference what version you read? ;)

Reaction score
As a huge fan of all of Zahn's EU stuff, I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by Thrawn.

Sometimes he felt like a secondary character in his own book, and overall the conclusion was unsatisfying (which may be more understandable if it is indeed part of a trilogy). Perhaps my hype was too high, as I did enjoy it for the most part, but wasn't blown away.

Agreed.

Maybe the book should have been called Thrawn and Ahrinda.
The Thrawn stuff was good as Zahn always puts it, but the other character stuff just went to far. I wanted to read about him, not some secondary/primary character.
It's like Disney made him put in a "strong female character," like we're seeing in the SW universe now.
I have NOTHING against lead female characters (I enjoyed Jyn O. in Rogue One), but hey, give them their own books instead of kind of just shoving them into a book that was meant for another character.
As Tikkes said, Thrawn felt like a secondary character in his own book.
I would have been okay with her showing up in another book with him, but not in the one that was supposed to give us deeper insight into Thrawn. I felt his character could have been fleshed out more with what was spent on the other character.

Reaction score
Review contains minor character spoilers, very minor plot spoilers....

Finished this via Audible a couple weeks back. Fairly good Star Wars novel with overall nice character, world, & plot building. Although be prepared that you won't learn much backstory about Thrawn's pre-Empire days, as the time frame for this novel doesn't start until after the end of the Clone Wars. And you'll learn even less about the Chiss in general, aside from the initial set-up that brings Thrawn into the Star Wars galaxy.

My harshest critique is that Thrawn as written here by his creator, pretty much comes across as the quintessential "Gary Stu". Minus the first encounter with his main antagonist, Thrawn is always 3 steps ahead of every character in the book. All. The. Time. Eventually, it becomes distractedly unrealistically annoyingly so. (That's all the "ly" words I could cram together.) "Thrawn's a freakin' genius!" We get it already, but that type of characterization, especially of a protagonist, doesn't always make the best drama. And in the case of this book, I think a lot of the tension it could have had is lost. What's the point in caring about a battle/situation if you already know Thrawn is going to come out on top? So that hurts the story a lot, but it isn't fatal.

In the Rebels cartoon, Thrawn is portrayed as patient and cunning, of course, but at least he doesn't ALWAYS win every scenario or have seemingly more knowledge and insight than a being like Yoda or the Emperor would. And yes, I know in the book they try and drill it home to the reader that his Achilles heel is that he's politically ignorant in Imperial ways. Multiple characters try to repeat this mantra over and over to drive the point home. But it's not true at all, and quite clearly Thrawn always knows what he's doing, even when he breaks the rules to accomplish his goals. Proof; this "supposed" lack of Imperial tact never once hurts him.

Some people might be surprised/perturbed that Thrawn is really only HALF the story in a book baring his namesake. Of course everyone knows by now the other half deals with the rise of Lothal's Governor Ahrinda Pryce. I will admit that even though I watch the Rebels cartoon, it took me 2/3 of the story before I finally figured out who this character was. Although maybe it happens a bit too abruptly, her "turn" took me by surprise and it wasn't until I heard the words "Governor Pryce" that I was able to put 2+2 together. So as far as subplot fillers go, this one didn't totally annoy me....until the end. By that point I started hearing the cackles of Disney villainesses from yesteryear in my head...

Final musings; Marc Thompson, the narrator, does a GREAT Thrawn impersonation in my opinion; "Yeessss. Perhaps." (If you listen to it, the reference will become familiar and due to the repetitive nature that those words are spoken, don't be surprised if you start using those words yourself in the Thrawn-voice.)

Overall an entertaining listen (you get music and sound effects to boot), and yes, this book is designed/ends in a way to almost guarantee that it will not be Zahn's final word on our favorite blue Grand Moff.

4/5 stars for a Star Wars novel (Would probably be a 3/5 for a general novel overall)

Reaction score
Thanks, MrPickles! Good review. It didn't bother me that Pryce was such a major story in the novel. I honestly didn't even think about it until I saw other peoples postings. It is a good point, since the title is Thrawn, but like you said, I think there will be other novels to come telling his story. What did you think of Thrawn's journal entries at the beginning of each chapter?

Reaction score
Thanks for the review of the new Thrawn book. Being a huge fan of Tim Zahn's 1990's SW novels (HTTE trilogy, SOTP & VOTF), I have tried to collect all of his subsequent SW books as well - but am still missing some.

However, I think I'll pass on buying Thrawn - it doesn't sound like it's worth owning in my collection. I will probably read this, but only if my local library gets a copy....as far as I'm concerned, the character is in danger of getting over-exposed.

Last edited: