Thrawn appearance theories

Reaction score
Did they want to do this all along or it's happening because they can get some online buzz about the show? I know Filoni read the Thrawn trilogy, but i still wonder why he is brought back.

Reaction score
Why? I guess only he can provide the correct answer as to why he did it.

But the rest of us can speculate on why one would do this. Immediately, I would say that the Story Group would want to put back into Cannon those things that give a good foundation to the Star Wars lore. After the slate was wiped clean, that left much of the rich and desirable history also gone. Now with Movies, Rebels, Comics, Games, and Novels, the Lore is being rebuilt. Now they can re-establish those things in the canon that they always wanted to keep, but until they are re-written, are considered non-existent.

That allows them to pick an choose their favorites to re-introduce. Thrawn appears to be a favorite of many. A well written character who is still remembered and well received 20yrs later. So it makes sense to include him rather than just write a new Imperial heavy from scratch. It serves many purposes and will really give those SW fans who have written off Rebels (and TCW) a reason to embrace the series. Plus its good that they have a Story Group now to keep the Canon in order.

I did not read the Thrawn trilogy, so I am looking forward to discovering what all of the excitement is about with this character.

Reaction score
According to Pablo Hidalgo, Filoni & the leader of the Story Group were the ones who were really pushing for Thrawn to find a home in the new material. I'm sure they'd already planned to include him at last year's Celebration & the canon panel, the scripts were likely already written, designs approved, when they confirmed that some Legends characters would be rebooted into canon.

Reaction score
I did not read the Thrawn trilogy, so I am looking forward to discovering what all of the excitement is about with this character.
If they do it right, I'm sure you'll like him. I always like him more than Vader TBH. To me he seemed more that just a one dimensional character.

Reaction score
I think they will do him justice....And all of the EU haters can finally go away...We need MORE of this not only is it good for the fans it will be good for the story of star wars

Reaction score
I think they will do him justice....And all of the EU haters can finally go away...We need MORE of this not only is it good for the fans it will be good for the story of star wars
Thrawn was pretty universally loved but keep being a spice girl with the "eu power!"

Reaction score
EU power is indeed a good thing, so glad we got guys on the inside like Filoni, who knows exactly what the fans want.. also glad Rebels is finally taking off. The 2nd season was a tough view, 1st was pretty good though, but the 3rd, just looks awesome. interested to see how/if they use the force repelling beasts, ysalamir is it....? besides it being used as deco.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are not using the ysalamiri at all. The decoration that was framed so it looked like he had lizards on his shoulders was a nod to the ysalamiri, but nothing more.

Reaction score
They are not using the ysalamiri at all. The decoration that was framed so it looked like he had lizards on his shoulders was a nod to the ysalamiri, but nothing more.
thank god, I never really liked the ysalamir

Reaction score
I thought it was odd to have a worm on your shoulder. But the premise of them blocking Force Powers is interesting. Nice defensive weapon against it, if you're a normal Joe. Could have been interesting in the show as well, maybe they will utilize something else for that effect.

Reaction score
Thing is, they weren't supposed to have 'a worm on your shoulder'. Thrawn, Pellaeon, etc were supposed to wear these backpacks consisting of tubes with some sorta nutrient-solution in 'em that the ysalamari attached to, since they couldn't survive long when not attached to their trees back home on Myrkr (they fed by the hollow claws on their feet drawing nutrients thru tree branches). It was the comic artists who decided they wanted to have Thrawn carry 'em around and pet 'em like Blofeld from the Bond films (this was before Dr. Evil, of course) and dropped the idea of the nutrient frame. I Googled "ysalamiri nutrient frame" and didn't even see a single depiction of one in the top images shown. And Hasbro obviously skipped the frames for both old Thrawn figures, since they were going off the comics.

Midi-chlorians work to the advantage of ysalamiri, IMO... a lot of people complain that a living thing shouldn't be able to create a bubble where the Force doesn't exist, since the Force is part of every living thing. My take on it is that the ysalamiri scramble the signals sent by midi-chlorians, like changing the language on a TV show from English to Spanish... the midis are still communicating, enabling life to function (per Qui-Gon's explanation of them being the reason there's life in the first place), but Force-users and Force-hunters like vornskrs can no longer understand it. I think mixing it with the ysalamiri-grown clone soldiers from Thrawn's Empire is maybe a decent way of handling it, how Luke sorta "heard" a buzzing sound when trying to read their minds, and around his own clone "Luuke". So around a ysalamiri, a Jedi or Sith or whatever could still sorta feel the Force within them, but can't do anything with it...

...at least, not without some serious training, like learning a new language. That could be a fun thing to explore in some new SW story down the line, if they ever bring ysalamiri into canon.

Reaction score
Thing is, they weren't supposed to have 'a worm on your shoulder'. Thrawn, Pellaeon, etc were supposed to wear these backpacks consisting of tubes with some sorta nutrient-solution in 'em that the ysalamari attached to, since they couldn't survive long when not attached to their trees back home on Myrkr (they fed by the hollow claws on their feet drawing nutrients thru tree branches). It was the comic artists who decided they wanted to have Thrawn carry 'em around and pet 'em like Blofeld from the Bond films (this was before Dr. Evil, of course) and dropped the idea of the nutrient frame. I Googled "ysalamiri nutrient frame" and didn't even see a single depiction of one in the top images shown. And Hasbro obviously skipped the frames for both old Thrawn figures, since they were going off the comics.

Midi-chlorians work to the advantage of ysalamiri, IMO... a lot of people complain that a living thing shouldn't be able to create a bubble where the Force doesn't exist, since the Force is part of every living thing. My take on it is that the ysalamiri scramble the signals sent by midi-chlorians, like changing the language on a TV show from English to Spanish... the midis are still communicating, enabling life to function (per Qui-Gon's explanation of them being the reason there's life in the first place), but Force-users and Force-hunters like vornskrs can no longer understand it. I think mixing it with the ysalamiri-grown clone soldiers from Thrawn's Empire is maybe a decent way of handling it, how Luke sorta "heard" a buzzing sound when trying to read their minds, and around his own clone "Luuke". So around a ysalamiri, a Jedi or Sith or whatever could still sorta feel the Force within them, but can't do anything with it...

...at least, not without some serious training, like learning a new language. That could be a fun thing to explore in some new SW story down the line, if they ever bring ysalamiri into canon.
Ysalamir need to be very, very rare.

Reaction score
I agree. Ideally, I'd prefer to see 'em used in some ancient conflict, long before the Saga... and then gone extinct during or shortly after (maybe the Jedi killed 'em all, in early steps towards the clouded, close-mindedness of the Order as we knew it in the PT... maybe the Sith did since some Jedi hero(es) figured out how to work thru 'em and turned 'em into a tool to help put down some Sith uprising, whatever)

Reaction score
Not necessarily the Jedi, but I think the Sith would definitely try to kill them off. They don't like weakness of any kind.
Man I'm really hoping for some new media focusing in the KotOR era!

Reaction score
They are not using the Ysalamiri at all. The decoration that was framed so it looked like he had lizards on his shoulders was a nod to the ysalamiri, but nothing more.
The thing I find interesting about all this Ysalamiri talk is Filoni said something along the lines of he didn't like the idea of them not being part of the Force, which TBH is not how I've always seen it I've always thought of it as a defense mechanism that can repel the Force by creating a Force-neutral bubble, but they are still actually part of the Force like all living things. But anyway I'm pretty sure Dave said "not part of the force", now we know from concept art and con panels that they we're going to use the Yuuzhan Vong in TCW before it got cancelled. Makes me wonder what changes they might have made to the Yuuzhan Vong had they appeared in TCW.

Reaction score
It would not make sense to include the Ysalamiri yet, as that is what got him in trouble with the Emporer. If I remmber correctly, Thrawn was in the outer rim territories during the OT away from the regular millitary.

Reaction score
In the Thrawn Trilogy, at least, the ysalamiri had nothing to do with his exile. He'd known about them, that was all, which led to him using them both to keep C'baoth in check and to rapidly increase his military forces via clones.