Thoughts on EFX's Plastic stand for Star Lord

Reaction score
Last week my preorder for Star Lord finally showed up. As usual the wait was long with zero communication on its status until one day out of the blue EFX emailed me for the rest of my payment. I had seen a few YouTube unboxing videos so I knew some where being delivered. About a week after payment it showed up in a brown shipper.

I am a fan of the older style metal pole and round base and I wasn't thrilled by what some people where initially saying about it until I put it together. First, it is pretty thick Acrylic and has machined inset metal screw bosses to screw the pieces together. This prop used a black plastic mannequin head that you fit both pieces of the helmet together which attaches to the underside. The helmet quality was pretty good using fiberglass, resin and metal. However the stand although different did not look too bad in my opinion with an large EFX logo on the bottom with a protruding arm for the edition plate to rest on. The stand has a good weigh to it.

Then it hit me when I casually viewed the helmet form a distance... With that clear stand the helmet seems to look like it is floating and maybe just maybe that's what they were going for to change things up a bit. Change is sometimes hard. I thought this might have been a simple business decision to make cheaper stands. However I am not so sure....

I am not defending EFX in anyway shape or form. Bluntly they have some crappy business practices. I just noticed maybe that was the look trying to be achieved by the artist end vs. what we normally get which the is crappy "business end"

Just posting up my thoughts and impressions... your mileage may vary lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the new EFX stand that came with the Scout LE helmet, and I'm not a fan of it, it made alarming noises each time I touched it. No, not that kind of noises :p Anyway I think EFX could have easily replaced the aluminum tube on their classic round mirrored stand with an acrylic pole, like Icons did for the studio scale TIE Fighter/X-Wing. Same base, different pole and still would look better than this over-complicated, but cheap looking design they came up with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got the EFX Vader chrome from a local comic shop, and the acrylic stand was cracked. Blessing in disguise as I used a paper towel holder from the kitchen, which has a solid metal rod and marble base. The $15 paper towel holder is better than the EFX crap stand by light years and looks classier.

Reaction score
I have the new EFX stand that came with the Scout LE helmet, and I'm not a fan of it, it made alarming noises each time I touched it. No, not that kind of noises :p Anyway I think EFX could have easily replaced the aluminum tube on their classic round mirrored stand with an acrylic pole, like Icons did for the studio scale TIE Fighter/X-Wing. Same base, different pole and still would look better than this over-complicated, but cheap looking design they came up with.
Yeah I could have seen the acrylic pole in there as an option as well.

Reaction score
I still like the base the Legend and LE Edition Vader Helmets came with best. I can't imagine a better display for helmets.
The new stands might be not as cheap in person as they look, but it's the look of them that counts for me, I would never use those stands to display a helmet.
In case I get the Mandalorian helmet I will replace the stand (if I can get another one I'll use the same like my LE Vader helmet).
Chris

Reaction score
I still like the base the Legend and LE Edition Vader Helmets came with best. I can't imagine a better display for helmets.
The new stands might be not as cheap in person as they look, but it's the look of them that counts for me, I would never use those stands to display a helmet.
In case I get the Mandalorian helmet I will replace the stand (if I can get another one I'll use the same like my LE Vader helmet).
Chris
To be honest I don't like the huge bases the Vader helmets came with. They eat a lot of space. I understand why some collectors, who prefer using acrylic display cases prefer them. My favorite licensed helmet stands remain the EFX round ones - small, elegant, but also solid. They are even better than the MR ones.

Reaction score
Those larger cases eat up a lot of room and space management is a significant challenge for all collectors. I like the round style as well my thoughts was they were just going for a different look. To be honest I was just happy something was delivered. GC