This one will be fun...

Reaction score
In all honesty I would be alright of RJ was involved in the FUTURE movies. He's clearly talented and creative. I don't think he was the best choice for the middle part of this Saga.

Reaction score
In all honesty I would be alright of RJ was involved in the FUTURE movies. He's clearly talented and creative. I don't think he was the best choice for the middle part of this Saga.
My main misgiving with that is that I could see him doing things to make the stuff to make TLJ look more legitimate when it comes to the stuff he came up with like the kid with the broom and all. I still think it would be best to find somebody else and just say thanks, but no thanks when he hands in his script.

Reaction score
I think if they are really going to cut him loose, they'll wait until after TROS has had its run. If they tell us now that he's out, they'll make the RJ SW fans angry and Disney is afraid they'll boycott TROS. I'm still not convinced Disney really wants to do a trilogy with a guy who angered at least half of the SW core fans. Also, KK might be out before the next films get going. I think Disney does not want to make any moves until after TROS is finished in theaters. There were so many controversies and bad press about the films over the years that they don't want to add any fuel to the speculation fire.
I agree. I think the plan right now is to keep as many fans happy as possible to maximize the potential for The Rise of Skywalker. One thing I can see too is after a few years, they might say Rian Johnson's "unique vision" was better suited for a series on their new streaming service. They're willing to throw a lot of money at the new service and they can give him carte blanche on something anyone is welcome to take or leave without messing with their movie division. The people who can't stand his method of filmmaking can pretend it doesn't exist and his diehard fans can watch the series on repeat and obsess about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree. I think the plan right now is to keep as many fans happy as possible to maximize the potential for The Rise of Skywalker. One thing I can see too is after a few years, they might say Rian Johnson's "unique vision" was better suited for a series on their new streaming service. They're willing to throw a lot of money at the new service and they can give him carte blanche on something anyone is welcome to take or leave without messing with their movie division. The people who can't stand his method of filmmaking can pretend it doesn't exist and his diehard fans can watch the series on repeat and obsess about it.
could see that as well and I agree about the whole fan situation. Anybody who did not like TLJ can give JJ the benefit of the doubt about what he might change in TROS. Those who like RJ can still say he's working on his trilogy. Both groups will go see TROS at least once (and many more viewings) and Disney gets their money.
I

Reaction score
My main misgiving with that is that I could see him doing things to make the stuff to make TLJ look more legitimate when it comes to the stuff he came up with like the kid with the broom and all. I still think it would be best to find somebody else and just say thanks, but no thanks when he hands in his script.
Not if he stays away from the characters/lore/plot of the proper Saga (including the new characters like Rey). If he can separate himself from the Saga and focus on a new set of characters, a new set of circumstances and he is given a "blank page" so to speak if think he COULD possibly come up with something worthwhile.

He treated TLJ like it was an single movie; not the middle part of a trilogy and certainly not the 2nd to last film of the entire Saga. TLJ was selfish and paid little to no respect to what came before it and even less respect to that fact that someone else had to follow it and close the Saga out. That being said the ideas weren't terrible; in fact some of them were quite brilliant. Applying those ideas to this set of characters and story just didn't work.

If they want to keep him around give him carte blanche to do what he wants AWAY from the Saga. The fact is that he is a coveted director is reason enough for Disney to lock him up (same with GoT guys. When that show is over the whole media world will want them).

Reaction score
Not if he stays away from the characters/lore/plot of the proper Saga (including the new characters like Rey). If he can separate himself from the Saga and focus on a new set of characters, a new set of circumstances and he is given a "blank page" so to speak if think he COULD possibly come up with something worthwhile.
But, let's not forget, Johnson is also responsible for putting that awful, unfunny, humour into 'The Last Jedi' too and making characters into ridiculous buffoons, like Hux. He's also the guy that gave us that silly weaponised hyperspace attack move, force ghosts that are capable of offensive moves, that absurd space chase, two completely redundant subplots and made First Order personnel incapable of looking out a window to see what the Resistance fleet was up to.

As a director, he may have something to offer. But, as a writer he's atrocious.

Reaction score
But, let's not forget, Johnson is also responsible for putting that awful, unfunny, humour into 'The Last Jedi' too and making characters into ridiculous buffoons, like Hux. He's also the guy that gave us that silly weaponised hyperspace attack move, force ghosts that are capable of offensive moves, that absurd space chase, two completely redundant subplots and made First Order personnel incapable of looking out a window to see what the Resistance fleet was up to.

As a director, he may have something to offer. But, as a writer he's atrocious.
Won't disagree there. His writing definitely leaves something to be desired.

Reaction score
Maybe that's why KK said Benioff (sp) and Weiss are working closely with RJ. Maybe in the end, they'll write the new films and he might direct them, although my hope is, RJ is cut out of Star Wars completely.

Reaction score
in the same interview KK said she was bringing in directing talent, including women, to direct these movies. go figure.

all we REALLY know is:

- Bod Iger said all SW movies are on hold until they can come up with a long-term PLAN beyond just a "trilogy".

- KK told RJ and B&W to come up with a long-term PLAN beyond just a trilogy.

- RJ says he's "working on it".

(meanwhile)

- KK is actively seeking female directors to DIRECT these movies.

that's all we know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I find it baffling that the EXACT SAME INTERVIEW spawned 2 different headlines:

one says "all SW movies are on hold" and the other says "10 more years of RJ". (depending on the spin).

Reaction score
If this is a typo, it's the greatest typo of all time! Haha! Bob "The Bod" Iger.

Yeah, people are going to read into these kinds of statements and find whatever they're looking for. Everyone involved will also remain ambiguous until the movie comes out to try to keep everyone happy. Yesterday's big headline was JJ's statement that "there's more to the story" about Rey's parentage, but they have "honored" what happened in Episode 8. This statement doesn't narrow down the possibilities at all, and people who want both ends of the spectrum can be happy and buy presale tickets.

Reaction score
I find it baffling that the EXACT SAME INTERVIEW spawned 2 different headlines:

one says "all SW movies are on hold" and the other says "10 more years of RJ". (depending on the spin).
I noticed that as well. Lots of spin going on there. I read somewhere that it was reported that KK mentioned possible films with the new ST characters, but from the way most of the actors are talking about their SW experience, this is it. Once the film hits and they're finished with their publicity tours, they (the actors) seemed to be ready to move on from there.

In the end, I think Disney has finally learned they just can't slap the name SW on something and everybody will buy it and like it. I think they need to step back and plan any future movie releases more than they did the first 5 under Disney. I'm not sure RJ is one they should leaning on because he angered a good portion of the fan base and continues to make comments to keep the fire burning. Why continue to allow somebody like that to stick around instead of finding somebody new?

Also, I think it would be interested to see a female director do a SW film, but not because it's a woman. The odd thing is that KK wants to promote women and all (which is great in a business that has longe been male dominated), yet she, as the boss of LFL, has only hired males to write and direct the films. Why hasn't she gotten a woman to direct any of the films so far??

Reaction score
in the same interview KK said she was bringing in directing talent, including women, to direct these movies. go figure.

all we REALLY know is:

- Bod Iger said all SW movies are on hold until they can come up with a long-term PLAN beyond just a "trilogy".

- KK told RJ and B&W to come up with a long-term PLAN beyond just a trilogy.

- RJ says he's "working on it".

(meanwhile)

- KK is actively seeking female directors to DIRECT these movies.

that's all we know.
So what I gleaned from this, is that they're "working on it"

Yet Bob said that same BS line when he assume the Franchise back in 2012! Um didn't you already have a long term plan in mind when you bought the damn thing? :wtf:
Just how many people here make a very large purchase with no long term plan in place?

Reaction score
if I'm Bob Iger I'm waiting until Kevin Feige is finished with Avengers and then I'd move him over from Marvel to Lucasfilm, and get him to map out a "PLAN" for star wars.
even if he doesn't actually execute the plan himself, at least he could give KK&co a CLUE. he could act as a consultant or something. because right now Lucasfilm clearly doesn't know what it's doing.

Reaction score
if I'm Bob Iger I'm waiting until Kevin Feige is finished with Avengers and then I'd move him over from Marvel to Lucasfilm, and get him to map out a "PLAN" for star wars.
even if he doesn't actually execute the plan himself, at least he could give KK&co a CLUE. he could act as a consultant or something. because right now Lucasfilm clearly doesn't know what it's doing.
At this point, I think Disney just figured, "If it has the name SW on it, it's gold and people will fork over their money no matter what." Now, a few years later, Disney has finally realized, it won't work like that.

I like your suggestion. They really need someone to map this all out, like they did with Marvel. That was a problem with then old EU and GL. GL just said, if it didn't come from him or happen in the films, then he could just ignore it. GL pretty much just stayed away from the EU portions of things and allowed things to just go along. Had he made the ST, he probably would have changed some things, but kept a number of things as well.

The biggest problem for Disney was the fact that because that old EU kept coming up until the end of GL's time at the helm, so many fans had accepted the old EU as basically canon that LFL/Disney didn't realize how mch they angered many longtime fans by changing a lot of stuff for the ST.

Reaction score
At this point, I think Disney just figured, "If it has the name SW on it, it's gold and people will fork over their money no matter what." Now, a few years later, Disney has finally realized, it won't work like that.

I like your suggestion. They really need someone to map this all out, like they did with Marvel. That was a problem with then old EU and GL. GL just said, if it didn't come from him or happen in the films, then he could just ignore it. GL pretty much just stayed away from the EU portions of things and allowed things to just go along. Had he made the ST, he probably would have changed some things, but kept a number of things as well.

The biggest problem for Disney was the fact that because that old EU kept coming up until the end of GL's time at the helm, so many fans had accepted the old EU as basically canon that LFL/Disney didn't realize how mch they angered many longtime fans by changing a lot of stuff for the ST.
I think that's a little overstated. The Marvel movies changed a fair amount of stuff from the comics. Neither franchise's box office has been noticeably impacted by changing/ignoring previously written material. Would The Force Awakens have sold way more tickets if Thrawn was the lead villain facing off against Jacen and Jaina Solo? Highly doubtful.

Disney's biggest mistake was buying a franchise that's fans are never happy. If George Lucas still owned Star Wars and did a sequel trilogy a ton of people would complain and say someone else should make the movies. When someone else makes the movies they complain and say Lucas should have made the movies. You can't win with a large portion of the star wars fanbase.

Reaction score
Marvel (and DC) at least hit the 'broad strokes' of the comic stories -- Peter gets bitten by a spider and gains the proportional speed ans strength of a spider -- Batmans parents get murdered -- etc.

we've seen different "versions" of these stories but the broad strokes are always the same.

in the case of Han, he should have been an imperial pilot (not an infantryman) who goes AWOL over the treatment of wookiees on a slave ship -- he serves the empire but he draws the line at slavery.

all they had to do was hit the 'broad strokes' and the fandom would have been happy.

Reaction score
Would The Force Awakens have sold way more tickets if Thrawn was the lead villain facing off against Jacen and Jaina Solo? Highly doubtful.
Would it have sold any less?

I don't think anybody was lining up to go see a movie about Rey and Finn. Two characters nobody had a clue about. I can't say that 'The Force Awakens' would have been that much different if was about Jacen, Jaina and Thrawn.

I will say that the vast majority of folk went to see the film because a) it was the first Star Wars in years and b) it had Han Solo and Chewbacca in it.

And I'd also say b) was responsible for at least a third of its box office.

Reaction score
Marvel (and DC) at least hit the 'broad strokes' of the comic stories -- Peter gets bitten by a spider and gains the proportional speed ans strength of a spider -- Batmans parents get murdered -- etc.

we've seen different "versions" of these stories but the broad strokes are always the same.

all they had to do was hit the 'broad strokes' and the fandom would have been happy.
That was the point I was trying to make. Basically hitting the broad strokes would have soothed some of the fandom.

I didn't like much of the old EU. having Jacen turn to the dark side, to me, was boring, so when they did it with Ben/Kylo it was even more of a bore.

What they really should have done is planned where they wanted to be at the end of the ST and have a broad outline for the writers and directors to follow. Such things as:

1. will there be time gaps between the films, and if so, how long?
2. should E7 end with a cliffhanger type ending that could cause problems with a time gap from #1 above?
3. how do we integrate the OT characters as backgrounders so the new characters can shine?

Stuff like that.

Reaction score
That was the point I was trying to make. Basically hitting the broad strokes would have soothed some of the fandom.

I didn't like much of the old EU. having Jacen turn to the dark side, to me, was boring, so when they did it with Ben/Kylo it was even more of a bore.

What they really should have done is planned where they wanted to be at the end of the ST and have a broad outline for the writers and directors to follow. Such things as:

1. will there be time gaps between the films, and if so, how long?
2. should E7 end with a cliffhanger type ending that could cause problems with a time gap from #1 above?
3. how do we integrate the OT characters as backgrounders so the new characters can shine?

Stuff like that.
They do have a plan of where things need to be at the end of the sequel trilogy and have had that plan since day one.

Reaction score
They do have a plan of where things need to be at the end of the sequel trilogy and have had that plan since day one.
I like to believe that but there is no way with the death of Carrie and the backlash of TLJ (a backlash which exists despite it's fans insistence that all is fine) that they haven't had to pivot and adapt where they thought this ST was going. At one point a totally different director and script existed for Episode IX.

Reaction score
According to Rian Johnson that was not the case. He said there weren't any plans of where to go after TFA and it was left up to him to move things forward as he thought best.
A

Reaction score
I like to believe that but there is no way with the death of Carrie and the backlash of TLJ (a backlash which exists despite it's fans insistence that all is fine) that they haven't had to pivot and adapt where they thought this ST was going. At one point a totally different director and script existed for Episode IX.
Well of course Fisher dying changes some things :p

They definitely had a plan laid out as to where the story needs to go and where the characters need to be at the end of each film and the trilogy as a whole. Some people may not like the plan but it exists just the same. It's ludicrous to think that Disney would be all "do whatever with Luke" or whatever.

Director changes are nothing new and the dude got dropped because it turned out he was a major prima donna that has become somewhat of a pariah. I highly doubt a script existed beyond an outline since The Last Jedi was filming IIRC.

As far as pivoting due to backlash, that would be pretty hard to prove. The story isn't finished so how can someone say it's going to be retconned or whatever? Already seen people say it's a retcon that Rey fixed Luke's saber even though that was obvious outcome when she took the broken lightsaber with her when she left Snoke's ship.

Reaction score
It's funny how some of the audience reviews of Avengers Endgame mirror those of TLJ, especially in the face of the blanket 'official' critic praise.

I watched it 2 days ago and thought it was plain slow and boring. Now I'm not a Marvel fan especially but do enjoy some of the films. This one was plain awful and to me shows how Disney has the entertainment press in their pockets. Again.

At least TLJ had some action in it. Seriously, this film was worse.

Reaction score
They definitely had a plan laid out as to where the story needs to go and where the characters need to be at the end of each film and the trilogy as a whole. Some people may not like the plan but it exists just the same. It's ludicrous to think that Disney would be all "do whatever with Luke" or whatever.
Go ahead and live in your dream world dude.
Ruin Johnson, JJ Abrams have said different and everybody else with a brain knows there was never a laid out plan with this trilogy.

And it is painfully obvious.

Reaction score
It's funny how some of the audience reviews of Avengers Endgame mirror those of TLJ, especially in the face of the blanket 'official' critic praise.

I watched it 2 days ago and thought it was plain slow and boring. Now I'm not a Marvel fan especially but do enjoy some of the films. This one was plain awful and to me shows how Disney has the entertainment press in their pockets. Again.

At least TLJ had some action in it. Seriously, this film was worse.
I just got back from Endgame. It did move slowly in the beginning put I feel it picked up enough action wise towards the end.

The one big difference between this and TLJ...Endgame was clearly written and directed to be enjoyed by the fans as opposed to TLJ where the director has gone on record saying he wanted to split the audience and subvert expectations.

Endgame may have been predictable but at the end of the day it was an fan friendly ENJOYABLE movie.

Reaction score
I didn't enjoy either film. TLJ wasn't boring though, you have to give it that!

High praise indeed :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't enjoy either film. TLJ wasn't boring though, you have to give it that!

High praise indeed :grin:
Not sure on that count. By my fourth and final viewing of TLJ I was pretty confident that I wouldn't want to sit through it again for a long, long time just to watch the one good Luke scene.

But then I loved Endgame, so there you go.

Reaction score
got a link?
No, but somewhere in one of these threads somebody posted a tweet from RJ in which he was asked whether he was given specific directions of what to do or not do for TLJ and he responded saying he was basically given free reign to go where he wanted and he various interviews, he's stated there was no overall plan of where the ST was going, it was left up to each director/writer.
N

Reaction score
I recall that Rian Johnson deleted 20,000 tweets last summer, so the message might have been deleted.

Reaction score
True, I've always known that their plan was going to center on younger newer characters. However, they felt the new saga needed a "passing of the torch" if you will. Thus bringing in the OT characters to hand it over. Problem is they had some missteps doing it. IMO, they should have just started out fresh and new. The OT had its ending.

Reaction score
^ Considering how badly Lucasfilm's lack of a plan has been received since TLJ, you would have thought that if they did have a plan then they wouldn't have let the directors be so adamant in the media that there was no plan...

JJ Abrams:

"But it was a completely unknown scenario. I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge."

Source

No offence dude on the internet, but out of you and JJ Abrams I know who I'm going to believe about a film made by JJ Abrams.

Reaction score
It is interesting where in the end the whole plot will lead or they will slide down before pulling out money by shooting passing films.

Reaction score
^ Considering how badly Lucasfilm's lack of a plan has been received since TLJ, you would have thought that if they did have a plan then they wouldn't have let the directors be so adamant in the media that there was no plan...

JJ Abrams:

"But it was a completely unknown scenario. I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge."

Source

No offence dude on the internet, but out of you and JJ Abrams I know who I'm going to believe about a film made by JJ Abrams.
Interesting quote. It really shows how things weren't being centrally planned between 7 and 8 and the only thing that could bring 9 back into where 7 was going has to do with the fact that JJ is directing it.

To be honest, though, to me the OT didn't really leave any unanswered questions. Sure, the PT played right into the OT, but the PT was just showing us what we basically knew from what Obi-Wan had already told Luke in ANH. The ST really should have been planned as it's own thing and didn't really need to round out all nine movies, imo.

I

Reaction score
'passing the torch to a new generation' is not really conducive to 'closing out the saga for all time'.

I wonder which was the original goal?

were they 'starting something new' back in 2015...? (hence the focus on 'new characters' moving forward?)

or were they 'ending it forever' as JJ claims now..? (in which case, why did we need new characters?)

the very next time we see these "new characters" on screen will be the LAST time we see these new characters on screen.. so what was the point of all the new characters then?

Last edited: