Thinking of selling loose collection, is grading worth it?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just looking for opinions.

I have an almost complete loose collection of what IMHO are very good condition figures that I'm thinking of selling (probably on Ebay). Whenever I bought a lot of 20 or 30 figures I'd keep the best ones for my collection. I was wondering if you think getting loose figures AFA graded is worth it for selling and if so, which ones? I figured the best of my last 17 but I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts, experiences with grading or opinions.

Thanks
Doug

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right forum

Reaction score
I would grade anything you think would get a 85 score. There going for a premium right now. Especially the last 17, boba, jawa, yoda, r2, and any other Mint figures.

Reaction score
Grading is typically worth it for rare figures, extremely high condition figures, and anything that needs to be authenticated. Rare includes Original 12, Last 17, and a handful of weird one-offs (especially figures made of white plastic). I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US, a few things to consider:
1. AFA is the typical go-to, but they're bogged down right now and have had poor acrylic fabrication on their "new case" style with the non-tape gun display. I have owned two new-style figures with broken pegs inside the case, including an AFA 85+ Boba Fett. I also have a recently graded Imperial Gunner that AFA gave too small a case for, which has irreparably damaged the front of the helmet.
2. CAS is a good alternative, and are in theory much faster. The typical wisdom is that AFA figures are worth more, but as time goes by the gap is much smaller. Their fabrication is absolutely awesome if you care about display, but you're selling these so that may be less important. Also, you can pay for faster turnaround time if that's really a priority. They're currently moving facilities so you may want to wait until the beginning of July to send anything.
3. I'd recommend looking at eBay to gauge what some figures are worth in what conditions, and what grades they receive. It may be worth taking a magnifying lens to your toys and determining which you think are a good idea to grade. If you decide a figure is in too awful condition to sell, do remember the accessories may be worth more than the figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Grading is typically worth it for rare figures, extremely high condition figures, and anything that needs to be authenticated. Rare includes Original 12, Last 17, and a handful of weird one-offs (especially figures made of white plastic). I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US, a few things to consider:
1. AFA is the typical go-to, but they're bogged down right now and have had poor acrylic fabrication on their "new case" style with the non-tape gun display. I have owned two new-style figures with broken pegs inside the case, including an AFA 85+ Boba Fett. I also have a recently graded Imperial Gunner that AFA gave too small a case for, which has irreparably damaged the front of the helmet.
2. CAS is a good alternative, and are in theory much faster. The typical wisdom is that AFA figures are worth more, but as time goes by the gap is much smaller. Their fabrication is absolutely awesome if you care about display, but you're selling these so that may be less important. Also, you can pay for faster turnaround time if that's really a priority. They're currently moving facilities so you may want to wait until the beginning of July to send anything.
3. I'd recommend looking at eBay to gauge what some figures are worth in what conditions, and what grades they receive. It may be worth taking a magnifying lens to your toys and determining which you think are a good idea to grade. If you decide a figure is in too awful condition to sell, do remember the accessories may be worth more than the figure.
I need to commend @LandoGoldLeader on a comprehensive and helpful answer here. Fantastic!

Reaction score
If you want to grade, be prepared for longer than normal turn around times. I believe they are almost a month behind. You can be looking at a few months before you get them back. The other factor is, will the bubble pop when you have them back and ready to list. I do not trust this market at all right now, Period and not just for collectables. Maybe Just high quality pictures and plenty of them will serve you just a good as far as sales. The true collector understands what they are looking at so that's all you need. In fact there are a lot of big time collectors that wont deal with a graded piece, so , you can be cutting out a nice potential sale.

You can also begin to list them here and see what happens

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can also begin to list them here and see what happens
I think this is a great place to start if you aren't in a rush. I have some graded 70s/80s 12 inch figures I've been meaning to sell, and I know I'll list them here before I put them on eBay. Besides the savings in seller fees, it also might help you gauge what your stuff is worth.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice... I'll break out the figures and see which are pristine. Most are good but I have noticed a few paint rubs on a few. I'll have to do some more research on the grading to try and guess what they might get.

I figured grading was best as it would ensure to the buyer that my figures/accessories were authentic and not reproductions. I checked all my stuff extensively when I got it referencing the imperial gunnery, but I don't think reproductions were as rampant then (7-8 years ago) as they are now.