Things you remember that aren't actually in the films

Reaction score
As many have said, Marvel comics are to blame for many of these. I SWORE forever that in ESB, after the Falcon rips out of the hanger on Hoth, Vader said "I want that ship!" Which of course he did in the comic. But, yes in my brain James Earl Jones has said that line in the movie. I now know he never did because clearly it was written into the movie later when he says to the Imperial Admiral "I want that ship, not excuses...Admiral". But it took me years to get over that.

Another thing that has me questioning myself, but here it goes. I went to see ROTS opening midnight on the west coast. To this day, I swear there is a shot of the Emperor's shuttle approaching Mustafar after Obi Wan has left Vader for dead. I mean I saw it. Also, before he talks to Vader (newly minted in his armor) the Emperor talks to the medical droids and asks them if he survived? Then he approaches Vader from a long shot. Now either, I don't know, I was on the euphoria of George's last live action SW movie ever being shown or they cut those scenes out. Scenes of course I can never find. I actually was shocked watching ROTS mere days later in the theatre again and those scenes were NOT there, BTW. So call me what you will.
I can confirm the ROTS material as I saw it at midnight and I remember that. My memory is also of the ships crashing into the DSII shield, but it also may come from the ROTJ novel. The ROTJ novel is also fantastic btw and was the first book i bought with my own money then read cover to cover.

Reaction score
There are a couple of different cuts of the movie including many more in cut for TV versions.

I have seen other movies that sometimes add a deleted scene in a tv version (Adams Family)

When I first read the TLJ crawl ( in the theater) I swore it said something about 1000s of star systems have fallen to the first order, Then the next scene is 2 hours after the last movie. Then on streaming it didn’t say that so I was wondering if they changed the crawl but never saw anything confirming a change.

Reaction score
Stuntman Peter Diamond has said a lot more footage was shot of people going into the pit than was used in the final edit. I've heard there were several injuries during the process. I don't know where you would have seen the Empire of Dreams footage in 1983, but the Making of Return of the Jedi special broadcast at the time of release does feature some behind the scenes footage of stuntmen rolling in.
Actually, after seeing the Empire of Dreams footage, I thought that maybe it WAS in the actual movie when it initially opened, then got edited for time when brought back to theaters the following year, and on video. The same way "Episode IV: A New Hope" did not appear in the very first showings of ANH in 1977, but did on every other version afterward, theaters and vhs (pre-SE).

So...it was real then?? More than a couple people remembering it is more than a faulty memory I would say ;)!
Vader saying "I want that ship!" on Hoth was on the book/record set that many of us had as children. It is very likely that line that everyone remembers hearing, with our memories also placing it in the movie because you do see vader appear right after the Falcon takes off, even though he doesn't say anything.

Reaction score
Actually, after seeing the Empire of Dreams footage, I thought that maybe it WAS in the actual movie when it initially opened, then got edited for time when brought back to theaters the following year, and on video. The same way "Episode IV: A New Hope" did not appear in the very first showings of ANH in 1977, but did on every other version afterward, theaters and vhs (pre-SE).

Vader saying "I want that ship!" on Hoth was on the book/record set that many of us had as children. It is very likely that line that everyone remembers hearing, with our memories also placing it in the movie because you do see vader appear right after the Falcon takes off, even though he doesn't say anything.
Ahh the .45 read along record with the book. Yes, between that and the Marvel comics panel that makes sense!

Reaction score
I remember eyebrows.

I won't lie, I was this close to trading in ALL of my SW toy collection for this piece in 2000, then I saw those eyebrows and said nope!

Seriously, though the eyebrows of doom are bad it was because the comic shop owner told me the Vader helmet did not fit on the mannequin head, but was only there for display on the stand that made me change my mind.

Reaction score
I always remembered Han telling Lando "trust me" when aiming the blaster when trying to save him from the Sarlac pit. I thought I was crazy because all the special editions take that part of his line out and put in "I can see a lot better" which always sounded weird to me as he says it too quickly IMO. Finally, I recently watched my old DVD with the theatrical cut and realized I was remembering it correctly all along.

Now that you guys mention the "I want that ship" line I will go back and check out my old DVD. I also remember Vader saying that as the Falcon leaves the Hoth hanger, but I started to think it was either from the audio adaption that I had on vinyl record or maybe the children's read along book.

Edit: does anybody have the new read along books with a CD? I wonder if they are completely re-done from scratch or if they just reused the audio from the old ones on record and/or cassette tape?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Something I didn't remember that actually was in the film - I didn't remember seeing any AT-STs at the battle of Hoth and I would have sworn Lucas inserted them after ROTJ came out.

Reaction score
Another thing that has me questioning myself, but here it goes. I went to see ROTS opening midnight on the west coast. To this day, I swear there is a shot of the Emperor's shuttle approaching Mustafar after Obi Wan has left Vader for dead. I mean I saw it. Also, before he talks to Vader (newly minted in his armor) the Emperor talks to the medical droids and asks them if he survived? Then he approaches Vader from a long shot. Now either, I don't know, I was on the euphoria of George's last live action SW movie ever being shown or they cut those scenes out. Scenes of course I can never find. I actually was shocked watching ROTS mere days later in the theatre again and those scenes were NOT there, BTW. So call me what you will.
Emperor arrives on Mustafar < The shuttle is there.

Reaction score
*After writing this, I looked up the ROTS trailer. Sure enough, first shot is what I remembered. But it is Coruscant, not Mustafar. I do not believe this made it into the Blu Ray, but I am sure I saw this on opening night.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Something I didn't remember that actually was in the film - I didn't remember seeing any AT-STs at the battle of Hoth and I would have sworn Lucas inserted them after ROTJ came out.
I didn't remember them either when I initially saw ESB theatrically. However, when it became easier to watch the films on VHS tape (which I started doing a lot of in the '90's), I specifically noted that when Luke lifted his head up from the snow - we did catch a brief glimpse of at least one AT-ST.

Reaction score
I didn't remember them either when I initially saw ESB theatrically. However, when it became easier to watch the films on VHS tape (which I started doing a lot of in the '90's), I specifically noted that when Luke lifted his head up from the snow - we did catch a brief glimpse of at least one AT-ST.
Those, I actually remember because as you said, you see them at the close up of Luke and I thought they looked funny.

Reaction score
I recall the AT-STs on Hoth seeing it upon initial release. I think we kids nicknamed them Chicken Walkers from the get go before that name hit mainstream.

IIRC, Harmy's deSpecialized Editions inserts additional AT-STs, one gets crushed by a falling AT-AT.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about this recently too. I believe that is their only dialog exchange.

While on the subject, Luke never says anything to Leia in Empire and she only says, "Luke! It's a trap!" and "I'll be back" to him. He has a few lines to her on the sail barge in ROTJ and then they have their scenes on Endor but that's about it. They don't have a great deal of interaction outside of the original film. A lot of their interactions ended up on the cutting room floor.
Actually, at the end of ESB when it first shows Lando in the Falcon still attached to the medical frigate, Lando first talks to Luke.
Watch it here.

Reaction score
Actually, at the end of ESB when it first shows Lando in the Falcon still attached to the medical frigate, Lando first talks to Luke.
Watch it here.
No, they spend more time in ESB making out and cuddling then talking. Or there is Luke checking out his sister hard when he sees her in the Slave outfit in Jabba's palace. I laugh at that as it never bothered me growing up, since I saw them when they came out in order. But yes, hindsight and watching ROTJ or ROTS now, it skeeves you out a bit.

I'll never forget I went to see ESB Special Edition in the theater multiple times, and the audience would always go "EWWWWWWW" every time Leia and Luke made out after the Bacta tank haha.