Things you remember that aren't actually in the films

Reaction score
Slightly different from another thread I posted recently.

Fairly famously in the fandom, many people believe they saw a cut of ROTJ where Rebel ships slammed into the shield on Death Star 2 and exploded upon impact. I believe this was originally supposed to happen and may have been included in the novelization/comic adaptation.

While I never recall thinking that happened in the film, I do recall the scout trooper who shoots Leia off her speeder bike looking back to watch her speeder explode and maniacally laughing before facing forward and screaming as he crashes into a tree. Obviously the laugh is not there, but that's how I remember it as a child.

Please feel free to share your misrememberings.

Reaction score
I could swear, just swear, I remember seeing a scene when someone is in a dungeon cell in Jabba's palace and you can see two Gamorreans playing chess or something. But I think, now, this scene was from a fantasy film or maybe even one of the Ewok films, likely a Henson film, and I was so young I mixed the two up.

Reaction score
I could swear, just swear, I remember seeing a scene when someone is in a dungeon cell in Jabba's palace and you can see two Gamorreans playing chess or something. But I think, now, this scene was from a fantasy film or maybe even one of the Ewok films, likely a Henson film, and I was so young I mixed the two up.
I think the Muppet Babies used to actually have occasional clips from Star Wars in the show. Not sure if it was unused footage or repurposed stuff from released films. But given that Miss Piggy was on the set of Empire you never know if they filmed some one-off scene and used it elsewhere.

Reaction score
My memory says I saw the Biggs scene on Tatooine in the theater in 77 but I know that is a false memory.

Marvel comics and too much soda can really mess with a young lads mind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I always thought it was Lando who pulled R2 away from the terminal on Bespin, when he started short circuiting; but it was actually Chewie. I'm pretty sure Lando pulled R2 away in the storybook or novelization, but not in the actual film. Which kind of make sense, because Lando had never seen the astromech before. R2 just sort of started tagging along while they were escaping. So there would have been no reason for Lando to suddenly feel like risking himself to save R2.

Reaction score
In ESB, after Han cut open the tauntaun, I thought for a long time that he went behind it and puked.

Reaction score
Those read along books always messed me up as a kid trying to remember the lines.

Vader: "I am your father"
Luke: "No, that's not true! I'll never join you!"

or
Vader: "I've been waiting for you Obi-wan. This time I will destroy you."

LOL!

Reaction score
My wife once insisted that Princess Leia wore Stormtrooper armor in Return of the Jedi.

Reaction score
I could also swear I remember Anakin, upon burning on Mustafar, asking Obi-Wan to "Help him," but apparently he says "I hate you!"

Reaction score
I remember one of the golden girls singing in the cantina followed shortly by wookies screaming incoherently for 20 minutes while one of them watch prn. It was the 45th worst nightmare of my life. Thank God that didn't happen.

Reaction score
That totally happens in the second Ewoks movie. One of the main characters is imprisoned by the Marauders and they all have a Jabba's Skiff Guard look to them. A scene in the dungeon of their castle shows guards playing a board game and getting upset over cheating, providing the main character a window to sneak past.

Reaction score
That totally happens in the second Ewoks movie. One of the main characters is imprisoned by the Marauders and they all have a Jabba's Skiff Guard look to them. A scene in the dungeon of their castle shows guards playing a board game and getting upset over cheating, providing the main character a window to sneak past.
I promise there is no judgement in this comment. More admiration than anything. I am amazed by anyone who made it to the second Ewok movie. I've never seen beyond Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, which I've seen twice!

Reaction score
Oh man! You just made my day, I've wondered for yeeeeeeeears where I got that specific image stuck in my head. Plus I'd have been 3, so easy to see how a child that age would just assume it WAS Return of the Jedi. Plus I haven't seen those Ewok films probably since 86! There's a morbid part of me that officially wants to watch them again now, just because of this convo.

Reaction score
Hey, no problem, glad I could help.

@ZevSenesca:
I'm that weird guy that loves Ewoks and considers the two tele-films equally part of the main saga as the ST and Anthology films.
I also tried to watch the Holiday Special in its entirety recently (after seeing most clips separately over the years) Had to split it over two nights and still fell asleep both nights.

Reaction score
I always thought I remembered seeing Luke jump up and grab the grate in the Rancor pit.
I'm fairly certain that it may have been seeing that photo in the storybook that made me "remember" seeing that scene in the theater.

Also always thought Han said "I can see a l lot better" rather than "Trust me" before he shot the Sarlacc tentacle wrapped around Lando.
I mean before it was changed in the Special Edition.

Reaction score
Also always thought Han said "I can see a l lot better" rather than "Trust me" before he shot the Sarlacc tentacle wrapped around Lando.
I mean before it was changed in the Special Edition.
I have to wonder if the TV version used alternate takes because that seems right to me pre-Special Edition.

Reaction score
Thinking of the TV versions, I recall having a ROTJ recorded onto VHS from a network broadcast in the late 80s. They cut out the B'omarr Monk spider droid, EV-9D9 droid torture dungeon, and Leia and Wicket fighting the biker scouts after they first meet. That part simply showed Wicket getting concerned and scanning around and then Leia says they should get out of there and they leave. It frustrated the heck out of me as a kid because I knew what was in those scenes but couldn't see them!

Reaction score
I always thought I remembered seeing Luke jump up and grab the grate in the Rancor pit.

I'm fairly certain that it may have been seeing that photo in the storybook that made me "remember" seeing that scene in the theater.
I came here to post almost the exact same thing, except for me it was remembering the scene from VHS rather than the cinema.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always thought I remembered seeing Luke jump up and grab the grate in the Rancor pit. I'm fairly certain that it may have been seeing that photo in the storybook that made me "remember" seeing that scene in the theater.
There is also a Topps Trading card (1983) that depicts this scene w/Luke hanging onto the Rancor pit trapdoor grate; as a kid, I also thought it was in the film.

Reaction score
Not quite what the OP asked, but something did pop into my head last night. Is there a scene where Luke and Lando ever talk with each other? I don't think Luke and Lando exchanged words when Lando caught Luke outside of Bespin. If I remember correctly, at the end of Empire, Luke was talking to Chewbacca, while Lando was addressing Leia.

Reaction score
There are dozens of things that I was surprised to find out WERE in the film much later than I should have like Loje Nella, C-3PO's silver leg, Dengar in Jabba's Palace, and Jango's helmet and head having separate shadows...

One thing I thought was in the films is Darth Vader picking up Luke's Lightsaber after he throws it away and the Emperor is shocking Luke. I have looked for pictures and such but apparently that is something I fabricated. I know he has Luke's saber when he gives it to the Emperor.

Reaction score
Not quite what the OP asked, but something did pop into my head last night. Is there a scene where Luke and Lando ever talk with each other? I don't think Luke and Lando exchanged words when Lando caught Luke outside of Bespin. If I remember correctly, at the end of Empire, Luke was talking to Chewbacca, while Lando was addressing Leia.
In ROTJ, Luke says "Let's go, and don't forget the droids" and Lando responds "We're on our way" right after they blow up Jabba's sail barge.

Reaction score
Oh man! You just made my day, I've wondered for yeeeeeeeears where I got that specific image stuck in my head. Plus I'd have been 3, so easy to see how a child that age would just assume it WAS Return of the Jedi. Plus I haven't seen those Ewok films probably since 86! There's a morbid part of me that officially wants to watch them again now, just because of this convo.
You can watch that very scene here, its on youtube: https://youtu.be/J1VOzP1t05g

As a kid, all of my SW memories are from ROTJ and the Ewok movies (and cartoons), because I was too young to have seen the others. I only later saw ANH and ESB on a VHS tape that was recorded when they appeared on HBO. I still love those Ewok movies, and as a kid, I was obsessed with the Blurrgs because I thought they were the same stop motion dinosaurs from the 90s Land of the Lost series! I even thought the furry critter on the show, named Stink, might have been a wookie, haha.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In ROTJ, Luke says "Let's go, and don't forget the droids" and Lando responds "We're on our way" right after they blow up Jabba's sail barge.
Yeah, I thought about this recently too. I believe that is their only dialog exchange.

While on the subject, Luke never says anything to Leia in Empire and she only says, "Luke! It's a trap!" and "I'll be back" to him. He has a few lines to her on the sail barge in ROTJ and then they have their scenes on Endor but that's about it. They don't have a great deal of interaction outside of the original film. A lot of their interactions ended up on the cutting room floor.

Reaction score
Luke never says anything to Leia in Empire
Huh. really? Not even after the Bacta scene or when he senses Vader while in the Falcon's cockpit? I know they spend most of the film apart, but still...
Makes all the complaints of Rey and Poe never interacting rather moot.

Reaction score
Luke does say something to Leia in ESB, they're just not in the same room at the time. He says "Leia, hear me" when he's hanging on for dear life under Cloud City.

Reaction score
I was sure that Vader says no a couple of times when Palps is electrocuting Luke, sort of building-up-rage-no's. And that the Special Edition "No" was a change and not and add-on.

Reaction score
Huh. really? Not even after the Bacta scene or when he senses Vader while in the Falcon's cockpit? I know they spend most of the film apart, but still...
Makes all the complaints of Rey and Poe never interacting rather moot.
I’m pretty sure they talk in the deleted scenes after the Bacta part. I just realized they have a brief exchange in ROTJ when he arrives in the briefing room.

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure they talk in the deleted scenes after the Bacta part. I just realized they have a brief exchange in ROTJ when he arrives in the briefing room.
There was also the deleted scene in ESB on the Falcon after Luke got his hand cut off where Leia was telling him about Boba Fett.

Another conversation between them that was still in the films was when they were leaving Tatooine in ROTJ and Leia tells him to hurry back to the fleet and he replies that he will.

Reaction score
There was also the deleted scene in ESB on the Falcon after Luke got his hand cut off where Leia was telling him about Boba Fett.

Another conversation between them that was still in the films was when they were leaving Tatooine in ROTJ and Leia tells him to hurry back to the fleet and he replies that he will.
Oh yeah, they cut out the only line in the film which referred to Boba Fett by name. At least he gets a mention right before his pathetic demise in ROTJ.

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that I remember Han shooting first in the Cantina....I didn't imagine that, did I? ;)

In all seriousness, as a kid, after my first viewing of ROTJ, I always "remembered" that, during the battle of the Sarlaac we saw more guards go into the pit, some literally rolling in the sand until they disappeared. Yet, when the VHS came out, we only see three guards & Boba Fett. As if to confirm the possibility that this was edited after the initial screenings in 1983, the "Empire of Dreams" video shows footage of more guards going into the pit during filming. Did anyone else have this memory?

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that I remember Han shooting first in the Cantina....I didn't imagine that, did I? ;)

In all seriousness, as a kid, after my first viewing of ROTJ, I always "remembered" that, during the battle of the Sarlaac we saw more guards go into the pit, some literally rolling in the sand until they disappeared. Yet, when the VHS came out, we only see three guards & Boba Fett. As if to confirm the possibility that this was edited after the initial screenings in 1983, the "Empire of Dreams" video shows footage of more guards going into the pit during filming. Did anyone else have this memory?
Stuntman Peter Diamond has said a lot more footage was shot of people going into the pit than was used in the final edit. I've heard there were several injuries during the process. I don't know where you would have seen the Empire of Dreams footage in 1983, but the Making of Return of the Jedi special broadcast at the time of release does feature some behind the scenes footage of stuntmen rolling in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stuntman Peter Diamond has said a lot more footage was shot of people going into the pit than was used in the final edit. I've heard there were several injuries during the process. I don't know where you would have seen the Empire of Dreams footage in 1983, but the Making of Return of the Jedi special broadcast at the time of release does feature some behind the scenes footage of stuntmen rolling in.
There is this: