QUESTION Things that irritate you about Ebay auctions

Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting to hear everybody's thoughts on what irritates them about Ebay auctions. For me is seeing the same item keep going up for sale, week after week, even when it sells. Also when seller's descriptions are not correct, like "almost complete" on a figure that has no accessories. What about you guys?

Reaction score
I don’t ebay often but my pet peeve has always been carded figures clearly resealed with no mention or show a tear big enough to get figures / accessories in and out but swear they’re original. I waste so much time doing detective work on photos on items I’ll never bid on.

Reaction score
Over bidders jacking up the final price way in advance of the auction ending.
Auctions are basically the only way of getting something priced properly rather than inflated. I buy lots from eBay but not many big ticket items due to the mark up.

Dax

Reaction score
Ebay's best days are well behind it and it really shows. It's a haven for giant Chinese knock off manufacturers and repro sellers and ebay don't care, despite their policies, as long as they get their cut.

Generally I don't get irritated by ebay auctions as I rarely use the platform any more. They can choke on their Amazon Lite website.

Reaction score
As a bidder

Idiot bidding wars

Sellers not replying to pertinent questions

Terrible photos

As a buyer

Terrible shipping practices, Ex. Takes over a week just to ship after marked shipped . Fragile items in envelopes, garbage shipping packages,

Item not as described

Bait and switch or repro

As a seller

Non paying bidder. (Common)

Claiming item hasn't arrived when tracking shows it did. (Rare)

Reaction score
eBay bidders that feel they don’t want to pay shipping costs or want reduced shipping costs or generally complain about shipping.

I state exact shipping in the auction listing. I can’t control what it costs.

Reaction score
Not collecting related but I am collecting funds via PayPal for a scout fundraiser & really have no clue how many fees I will be hit with after all is said & done.

If I transfer money to my bank i believe I will get hit with fees, so it may end up with me writing a check to keep full value & leaving PayPal alone.

It’s Not to bad now but I am hoping we don’t have $1000+ in last minute sales.

Evilbay

I do hate when it tells you to lower your price to X at auction when it’s not really comparing the same items.

Reaction score
Global shipping program. Does not allow for combined shipping. Over charges for what shipping does cost, adding extra charges under the devise of what a government would take as taxes and those charges are generally double what it would realistically cost.

That is the start of it for me

Reaction score
The global shipping, worst thing ever done by eBay. Just to get some profit on shipping as well.
Amazon...your packing will be there tomorrow morning.
eBay...your package will be there sometime in the next 2 months. Literally 3 weeks to a month later it arrives with eBay tape on it and looks like it was thrown into the box with some used packing around it. Just a failure.

Reaction score
eBay bidders that feel they don’t want to pay shipping costs or want reduced shipping costs or generally complain about shipping.

I state exact shipping in the auction listing. I can’t control what it costs.
The big problem is sellers that use ransom prices for shipping. Buyers are use to it so they ask for combined shipping . I love the sellers that take cents off the shipping for combined purchases.

Reaction score
Their estimates for shipping are constantly wrong. Won’t print an eBay label since the post office will just tell me I owe more for shipping.

Also if you are trying to sell something for $5-8 but the actual cost is “shipping” $75.95 If ya ain’t being honest I shouldn’t buy from you.

Reaction score
Their estimates for shipping are constantly wrong. Won’t print an eBay label since the post office will just tell me I owe more for shipping.

Also if you are trying to sell something for $5-8 but the actual cost is “shipping” $75.95 If ya ain’t being honest I shouldn’t buy from you.
They don’t pay final value fees on shipping so they boost up the shipping costs to make up for it

I thought they were supposed to stop this but I still see it on a regular basis

Reaction score
The smell of smoke on many of my vintage purchases. It's hard to fault the seller as I know most are picking these up at garage sales, estates, etc...but it's brutal sometimes.

Reaction score
Hey this is a RARE item.

Spoiler:  
Pegwarmer still available at Walmart for less.

Reaction score
The smell of smoke on many of my vintage purchases. It's hard to fault the seller as I know most are picking these up at garage sales, estates, etc...but it's brutal sometimes.
Some smokers literally have no idea how bad they, their house, and everything inside their house reeks. A while back, I saw a thread pop up on a Transformers site where the original poster asked why so many eBay auctions said "frome a smoke free home". Dude was a lifelong smoker and had absolutely no idea how bad smoking stinks. He admitted to having been selling for years on eBay. This led to him being lambasted for selling nasty smoke smelling toys without mentioning it in the auction description. He had no clue smoke stunk.

Reaction score
E-bay in general is a scalper's dream. I hate that it's being used as basically an extra 'middle man' for selling product. Now you get exclusive products posted before they've even come out, marked up 30-50% or more over MSRP. The only reason this works is because of our 'immediate satisfaction' society.

Reaction score
Thought this might be interesting to hear everybody's thoughts on what irritates them about Ebay auctions. For me is seeing the same item keep going up for sale, week after week, even when it sells. Also when seller's descriptions are not correct, like "almost complete" on a figure that has no accessories. What about you guys?
My ebay activity is falling way off but the biggest peeve are auctions that end after bedtime and I leave a competitive "bid up to" price and they always end up lost by a penny or 50 cents. Obviously someone is watching it like a hawk and sniping it....extra aggravating because it literally means there's always exactly and ONLY one more person willing to overpay on anything that interests me- and that person doesn't need to get up in the morning apparently

Reaction score
E-bay in general is a scalper's dream. I hate that it's being used as basically an extra 'middle man' for selling product. Now you get exclusive products posted before they've even come out, marked up 30-50% or more over MSRP. The only reason this works is because of our 'immediate satisfaction' society.
It's the world's biggest comic book store. But without the charm.

Reaction score
How long do you guys have? 😁

I actually use the site every single week as both buyer and seller, and I do enjoy it, but there are a jillion things they could do better (their app itself leaves a lot to be desired).

I wish you could delete past purchases without having to go the their actual website in an open window and manually click out everything you want to remove. I also wish that you could delete offers you made from your bids page. That’s technical stuff, but it’s really annoying to me.

As for auctions, it’s frustrating to type in a specific keyword and get a jillion hits for things that have nothing to do with that keyword (a guy titles his auction “Last 17 whatever...,” but it’s just a coloring book from 1999). Sometimes that can lead to interesting finds but usually it’s just annoying.

Reaction score
Sellers who overuse tape around bubble wrap to try and protect the item. It does more harm than good. Can't tell you how many times I've almost broken a vintage item or marred the packing trying to unwrap their wad of tape. Just wrap it up and one or two small pieces of tape is sufficient.

Ebay/Paypal fees. I feel violated when I get that end of the month bill from ebay.

Whiny buyers who gripe about shipping costs. Postage, tape, bubble wrap, boxes/envelpoes, ebay/paypal fees, fuel to get said items and go to post office all cost money. Not to mention my time spent. Don't like it?, buy from someone that offers free shipping, which in most cases they are over charging for their item price.

Reaction score
My above post was me working out the math behind selling and getting it wrong:

This is what I meant to post: If an item isn't able to sell for $10 or more it isn't worth selling. I look at it this way, if you buy an item for $4 and are able to sell it for $10. After fees you make about $3 profit. If you do that 10 times in an hour that is about $30, correct? $30 an hour isn't too bad, but that level of production isn't sustainable unless you have boxes of the same item and create one listing for all of them.

If you have random items that you've purchased it will take about 15 minutes to post with pictures and about 15 minutes to package (or more depending on what you have on hand and printing postage.... not including dropping off at the PO). So if each item forces you to spend 30 minutes to post and send, then you are now looking at $6 an hour.

Granted, that's a vast generalization and your experience will likely vary somewhere between the two, and if you have items that are worth way more than that, your profit per hour goes way up. However, it's still not typically sustainable to have products where you are clearing $50-100 in profit, so the average seller doesn't really make that much in the long run. I've actually made more money per item with less time spent on Facebook Marketplace... but that has it's drawbacks as well so whatareyougoingtodo?

Reaction score
Has to be the shipping costs (and the dishonestly thereof). Selling a $3.00 item, then putting the shipping at $15.00. Really, just be honest. It just feels like people put super low prices to entice buyers to look, but put their actual profits in the shipping costs.

I would feel better paying $18.00 and having it listed as "Free Shipping" than seeing the shipping costs be way more than the actual item.

Reaction score
Some of the gripes on here, are (or once were) reportable offenses and eBay will make them take it down if you complain. Like overcharging for shipping or having an insanely long "pre-order".

Due to various timezones and whatnot, post-bedtime sales are inevtivable. A lot of people have (or had) bidding apps that automatically increase their bids in the last 60 seconds. But if you think "here's how much I'm actually willing to pay, plus $10 more, plus shipping and taxes, plus another $5" and then someone outbids you by 50 cents, you are the real winner there. They just saved you from yourself.

By far though, my biggest pet peeve on eBay is the user DewbackScout. I hate that guy.

Reaction score
Some of the gripes on here, are (or once were) reportable offenses and eBay will make them take it down if you complain. Like overcharging for shipping or having an insanely long "pre-order".

Due to various timezones and whatnot, post-bedtime sales are inevtivable. A lot of people have (or had) bidding apps that automatically increase their bids in the last 60 seconds. But if you think "here's how much I'm actually willing to pay, plus $10 more, plus shipping and taxes, plus another $5" and then someone outbids you by 50 cents, you are the real winner there. They just saved you from yourself.

By far though, my biggest pet peeve on eBay is the user DewbackScout. I hate that guy.
Hey, I'm dewbackscout.

I'm only kidden..

My ebay ID is the same as this one. I have many sites I belong to and I go by kevin926 but I chose to keep my ebay ID for the purpose of transparency so people here can see I'm not a scumb bag that sells crap or causes trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've done my share of buying and selling on ebay (nick1723 & Kenner_77) and it's pretty essential for me when it comes to vintage collecting. I've never had luck at garage sales, craigslist, or flea markets and it's tough to carve out time with busy jobs, kids, sports, etc. So, I'm kind of stuck with the 'bay for the most part. I will say that it's getting more and more frustrating on both ends of the spectrum. There are more sellers that don't take pride in meeting customers' expectations and more buyers that are just complete turds.

Recently...I won a complete Dewback and the guy refunded me and said he's going to relist it. I also won a complete Falcon with an ESB box and the seller has yet to ship two weeks later...probably going to be a similar experience.

Do we have a thread on the site for good and bad ebay sellers? This is something I've seen on other forums (maybe TFW2005) and it can be helpful sometimes.

Reaction score
The shipping costs, and import fees are killing Ebay for me. I'm in Canada, and I used to use Ebay all the time. But lately its becoming harder and harder to find something for a decent price, due to import fees and shipping coats. I can't imagine it costs $30 to ship a 3.75" figure, yet almost everything I find has outrageous costs.

Reaction score
I've done my share of buying and selling on ebay (nick1723 & Kenner_77) and it's pretty essential for me when it comes to vintage collecting. I've never had luck at garage sales, craigslist, or flea markets and it's tough to carve out time with busy jobs, kids, sports, etc. So, I'm kind of stuck with the 'bay for the most part. I will say that it's getting more and more frustrating on both ends of the spectrum. There are more sellers that don't take pride in meeting customers' expectations and more buyers that are just complete turds.

Recently...I won a complete Dewback and the guy refunded me and said he's going to relist it. I also won a complete Falcon with an ESB box and the seller has yet to ship two weeks later...probably going to be a similar experience.

Do we have a thread on the site for good and bad ebay sellers? This is something I've seen on other forums (maybe TFW2005) and it can be helpful sometimes.
Yes, in the watch out link I believe

Reaction score
Has to be the shipping costs (and the dishonestly thereof). Selling a $3.00 item, then putting the shipping at $15.00. Really, just be honest. It just feels like people put super low prices to entice buyers to look, but put their actual profits in the shipping costs.

I would feel better paying $18.00 and having it listed as "Free Shipping" than seeing the shipping costs be way more than the actual item.
I don't use this practice as a seller. That being said, what's the difference? Either way you are paying $18.

Reaction score
It really annoys me when people list their LEGO guy as a pre-1995 3.75” guy or whatever. No matter how you narrow your search, you’re always gonna find a bunch of irrelevant auctions.

Reaction score
The shipping costs, and import fees are killing Ebay for me. I'm in Canada, and I used to use Ebay all the time. But lately its becoming harder and harder to find something for a decent price, due to import fees and shipping coats. I can't imagine it costs $30 to ship a 3.75" figure, yet almost everything I find has outrageous costs.
I am in the opposite direction. I used to buy from Canada all of the time but shipping cost sky-rocketed around 5 years ago. I am always: "Ah! A collectible I've been looking for forever — awesome shape! Nice price! Look at location: Canada. D'oh!

One of my pet peeves is people who list a bunch of garbage at the end of their listing titles to get more search hits. 'Not AFA.' 'Not MOC.' Listing a vintage Boba, Ugnaught or IG-88 with 'Mandalorian.'