Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
Oh, and if someone doesn't like the fact you collect then it's their choice. But..... You can also choose to disagree and if dating them, can move on from them if you choose too.

Reaction score
How about your own father not agreeing with your hobby? Not sure if that's the right choice of words, but let me explain.

My Dad doesn't see the *point* in collecting. He's never told me not to collect or anything like that. About 10 years ago when I lived at home, we were out to dinner and told him that I like to collect Star Wars stuff. He said he already knew, and told me he doesn't mind, its just he'd rather me collect something like baseball cards. I thought to myself "Oh you just want me to collect what YOU like." I am a baseball fan, but like how he feels about the Star Wars stuff, I don't see the need to collect baseball cards. They aren't up my alley. I felt like whenever I bought anything, I had to sneak it into the house.

Now a few months ago my Grandmother (Dad's Mom) got diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. It hit all of us hard, especially my Dad. During that time I had some Billy Bookcases from ikea delivered to my house. I put them together, but some weren't connecting properly. Rather then break it, I called him for a little help. He came over and fixed them for me. Afterwards he's telling me "Enough with the bookcases, focus on your house" or "What would a girl think if you have her over?" Now he wasn't being mean about it. At the time, his mother was dying so I get he was upset. Plus he has some issues walking, its starting to get tough for him. I mean its not like I'm a bad person. I lost my Mom when I was 6, so my Dad raised me - and he raised me right. I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, I don't even have a speeding ticket to my name. So its not like I'm doing anything "wrong". Granted I don't buy a lot or overspend. I'm still able to get my bills paid. I do have quite the collection, but that's from it accumulating over the years.

I joke around that when I bought my house in January 2018, I bought a raised ranch for my collecting. If I have a girl over I can just say "Yeah downstairs is still being worked on... but I have a TV upstairs!" Joking aside, has anyone ever said anything about your collection or collecting habits? Or have you ever been dating someone and they got weirded out by your collection? I guess that's my biggest fear.
If you date someone and they are weirded out by your collection, they are not the one for you my man. If you have to hide your collection, then you'll never really be able to be yourself so I'd suggest you need to either decide the collection is not worth the sacrificing of your relationships or you need to simply find someone that accepts who you are. Let your freak flag fly to an extent, right?

Here's a short story. I started dating a girl and she was embarrassed to the point of anger when I met her parents because they mentioned her 'doll' collection. She has more than enough you could say. They were at her parents' house. You see, she had not seen my collection because 90% of it was stored from a move. I had a few things around so she knew I was a Star Wars fan. I'm not the type to decorate every corner with a Star Wars shrine. She hadn't even seen the movies. When the parents were gone she looked at me and said, 'wait until you see my doll collection, it's not as crazy as you think'. I looked her in the eye and said 'wait until you see mine.' And we lived happily ever after.

Now, neither of us buys everything we want anymore, because we have 4 kids, but it's not an issue because we didn't allow it to be one.

Reaction score
If you date someone and they are weirded out by your collection, they are not the one for you my man. If you have to hide your collection, then you'll never really be able to be yourself so I'd suggest you need to either decide the collection is not worth the sacrificing of your relationships or you need to simply find someone that accepts who you are. Let your freak flag fly to an extent, right?
Oh I totally agree. The people I have dated before didn't have a problem with it. However all but one was when I was living with my Dad, so a good majority of my collection wasn't out. I know they wouldn't have a problem with it anyway. It's just with how hard dating is now, you think you might meet that one person then they get weirded out and leave. This has never happened to me but it is one of my fears. If they don't like it then there's the door.

However, my house is my house. I also collect Mario Bros. figures. The reason I collect Mario stuff is because my Mom got me into Nintendo/Mario at a very young age. She passed away when I was 6, so its for sentimental reasons. I joke around with my friends that the Mario stuff is off limits, but the Star Wars stuff you can make fun of me for (they also like SW).

My house is a raised ranch, the basement is MY room. That's where I have my computer, TV, video games, collection, etc. Its my man cave, everything is downstairs. Upstairs is the kitchen, living room and bedrooms. Nothing from my collection is upstairs. I figure that's fair at least.

Reaction score
My house is a raised ranch, the basement is MY room. That's where I have my computer, TV, video games, collection, etc. Its my man cave, everything is downstairs. Upstairs is the kitchen, living room and bedrooms. Nothing from my collection is upstairs. I figure that's fair at least.
I was fortunate enough to marry a fellow geek. I've got LOTR stuff in our living room. My wife has her own Marvel/Pop collection in an office upstairs. But the basement is like movies from the 80's exploded. My workshop houses the SW stuff, but the rest of basement is Indy, BTTF, Aliens, Robocop, Terminator, and Ghostbusters.

Reaction score
As long as you don't refer to it as your dungeon, I imagine most people won't be too concerned. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::oops::eek:

Reaction score
Constant negativity. Seriously, there are people I can't discuss anything enjoy without them ******** all over it.
Let me tell you in a 10 part monologue how much I disagree with that statement.

Sorry..... I'm just very bored today.

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to marry a fellow geek. I've got LOTR stuff in our living room. My wife has her own Marvel/Pop collection in an office upstairs. But the basement is like movies from the 80's exploded. My workshop houses the SW stuff, but the rest of basement is Indy, BTTF, Aliens, Robocop, Terminator, and Ghostbusters.
I hope to date/marry a fellow geek/nerd myself. The last 2 women I dated were but one was full of issues and the last I was pretty much verbally abused. I'd rather be single then deal with that.