Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
if he threw the dead squirrel into your 'mulch', then I would equate it, to using your garbage can to throw out a candy wrapper. not a big deal. that's where candy wrappers GO, afterall.

(IF he had thrown it into YOUR driveway, as opposed to his OWN driveway, then yeah.... dude's a *****. no excuse).
Well the mulch area is in middle of my front lawn, a good couple of feet from the road. Driveway, grass or mulch area, I think its a d!ck move regardless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just went to see Jat and Silent bob reboot. when I got into the theater they started playing the first Jay and Bob Movie, and we were all puzzled, as this was a Fathom Special event (we had to skip the special ALIEN screening to see it) they have the print for one night only. well it turns out they did not have the correct digital projector to play the New movie, and told us at nearly 8pm that we would not be entitled to a refund, but given a voucher to possibly see it Thursday if they let them keep the print. A whole bunch of us met up, some driving over an hour just to all watch it together. I paid for the tickets on my card, and gave everyone their money back, feeling like it was my fault. The guys who drove from far away took the day off and everything... I am going to give Fandango a chance to refund my money, if they don't it's on like Donkey Kong...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Corporate stupidity: I had a lengthy meeting this evening with my manager over the fact that I haven't been logging my project time properly. We have multiple tools for logging our time. Not everyone on the team has to use each tool. I have to use four different tools. I log all my vacation in one, all my work hours in another, then all my work and vacation in another, and then itemize all my work and vacation time by type and specific codes in yet another. It's about as efficient as it sounds. The problem I ran into is that, since I don't work a standard shift, I don't enter standard values and none of my times ever match up with the tools used by HR. To get around this, I was told to enter standard values in some of the tools and actual values in others. HR did an end-of-the-financial-year accounting and I generated red flags all over the map. Even though I have all the emails from HR and my manager telling me to enter my time the way I did, they're all now saying that I did it all wrong and it's all my fault. I now have to go back through all my time sheets for the previous year and update them all so that everything comes out properly in their reports. I have to do this for three of the four tools (they don't run reports on the vacation-only tool). The first really big problem with that is that the reports look at each of the tools differently, so while I have to update each time sheet in each of the three tools, I have to enter new and different values for every single week. The second really big problem is that you have a very limited window in which you can make adjustments to old time cards--the previous pay period in one, two weeks in another, and back to the start of the current month in the third (so anywhere from 1-30 days). What that means is that I have to make all the changes manually. For one of the tools, I can do it all online, but it's a laborious process (make the changes, generate a form for each one, electronically initial each one, email each one to your manager for approval/initial/forward to HR). For the other two, it's even worse because I have to do paper time cards. For one, you do them online and print them out. For the other, you print them out and fill them out by hand. For both of those, you have to sign each individual paper time card and then either mail them or scan/email them to your manager, who has to go through and sign each one then mail or scan/email each individual one to HR. For all of them (online and paper), HR then approves and processes each one individually, sends a confirmation back to your manager who forwards each one individually to you, and you then have to go back and validate the changes. Adjustments for one of three tools is based on pay period, while the other two are weekly, so just in terms of emails, that comes out to approximately ((24x4)+(50x4)+(50x4)), or 496 emails. I have no idea how many man-hours it's actually going to come out to, but at the end of the day, the actual number of hours in each of the tools are either going to be the same, or very nearly the same, just with different values in different columns, and absolutely no change in billing or compensation. Plus, since there's literally no way to get this all done in the next two weeks, they've automatically gone in and entered generic values for the year as placeholders until I get the "corrected" values entered and approved so that their reports will show green by the deadline. Afterward, I have a strong suspicion they're going to ask me to push a big boulder up a steep hill.

Reaction score
I keep getting "bluetooth pairing requests" on my TV from an unknown chromebook -- and I don't even own a chromebook :\
it's kind of annoying when you're trying to watch TV and the screen goes blank with a full-screen "pairing request" from somebody else's laptop.

Reaction score
So something happened at work that bothered me. So I'm walking out to my break and sometimes it is difficult to get out. In front of me was an Indian family speaking in what I assume is their native tongue, behind me is this white woman who just VERY LOUDLY says to this family "Will you SHUT UP ALREADY?" Now I turned around thinking "Wow, that's rude," when she then walks closer to the family and literally begins doing a very over the top mimic filled with jibberish words and cartoonish tones and progresses to say, to this family, "THAT is what you sound like, we DON'T want to hear it!" I couldn't help it, I wasn't in my vest so I just...ARGH...I said "WOW! What the F is wrong with YOU? You are DISGUSTING!" That was by far the most racist thing I've ever seen. It takes a LOT to offend me...BUT that did it. And frankly, I am proud of myself for not acting like it didn't happen.

Reaction score
^^ on a related note I was in a fast food restaurant with my wife and daughter and the guy in front of us in line had a problem with inter-racial children. just as he was about to order, he turned around and glared at us. he glanced at me.. then my wife.. then he took a step towards my daughter. he got right up in my daughter's face, about 2 inches away, and looked her dead in the eye... he opened his mouth like he was about to say something.... but he stopped himself before things got out of hand. he muttered something nasty under his breath, and left the store in a huff, without ordering any food. he chirped his tires on the way out of the parking lot, clearly angry at our presence on earth.

it happens. more than you would think.

Reaction score
^^ on a related note I was in a fast food restaurant with my wife and daughter and the guy in front of us in line had a problem with inter-racial children. just as he was about to order, he turned around and glared at us. he glanced at me.. then my wife.. then he took a step towards my daughter. he got right up in my daughter's face, about 2 inches away, and looked her dead in the eye... he opened his mouth like he was about to say something.... but he stopped himself before things got out of hand. he muttered something nasty under his breath, and left the store in a huff, without ordering any food. he chirped his tires on the way out of the parking lot, clearly angry at our presence on earth.

it happens. more than you would think.
Well that was what offended me probably most of all. It was all awful...but this family had kids. And she did that RIGHT in front of them. Now kids or no kids, I still would have said something. But doing that in FRONT of kids....wow. What a disgusting human being.

Reaction score
we've been married for 29 years. things have actually gotten WORSE in that regard. it was a kinder, gentler world 30 years ago. :\

Reaction score
I went into Starbucks & ordered a coffee....... Then I was sad because I expected actual coffee.

Reaction score
Ain't that the darn truth, bud? I mean it STILL sincerely bothers me....and I only WITNESSED it.
We run into it all the time, mostly via our daughters' friends. The outright racism is horrible, but the "soft" racism (or however you want to put it) is just as bad. "She's such a pretty girl, but can you imagine how awful it must be to have that skin color?" "She's very ___________ for an [ethnicity] girl." "That's ridiculous! I don't know how she could be struggling with math. She's Asian!" One that still bugs me came from a family member when my niece was born. "She's pretty...for a black baby."

At the same time, some people are so sensitive to it that they see racism where it doesn't exist. In the locker room at the gym one morning I told this guy I'd hate to play him in basketball. He got extremely offended and said, "Because I'm black?!? What a ****ing racist!" I said, "No, because you're 7'2"." Another time at one of my daughter's sporting events, I was talking to one of the dads. He was in pain and said his knee was really bugging him. He then said, "Old college sports injury." He's a pretty big guy. I said, "Oh, did you play football?" He got upset and said, "Why do you assume that? Because I'm black?" No, because he looks like a linebacker. Turns out it was football. Another night my daughter's friend asked if she could stay for dinner. I said, "Sure. You'll like what I made. It has rice in it." She got upset and wanted to know why I assumed that, just because she's Asian, she likes rice. I said I didn't assume anything. Every time she stays over she gets upset if I don't make rice. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but Gaming Culture. A nephew on my wife's side might find himself homeless soon due to video games. Two years ago he had a steady, well-paying job with benefits. It was full time, though, which didn't give him a lot of time for video games during the day, and they weren't too forgiving when he couldn't function after staying up for 72 hours straight gaming on the weekends. He didn't like the hassle so he followed the lead of a few of his friends. He quit his approx. $35K/year job and replaced it with a barely-above minimum wage, part time job with no benefits, all so he could play more video games. He and his friends moved in together but that soon fell apart because of the constant arguing due to none of them being able to afford their share of the bills. He found an extremely low-rent place (really bad part of town), but he was happy because he could almost make ends meet and still game 10-12 hours per day. The only way he was paying the bills, though, was because he had about $6K saved up from his other job (not his own choice--his paychecks were going to the account his dad opened and managed for him). After a couple trips to the doctor and some nasty dental work, his savings were depleted. He hasn't paid his rent for the last three months, but he has kept up on his video game subscriptions (no idea what, just what his mom told me). He's not allowed to move back home without a full-time job, so come December 1st, he'll be out on the street. Smart.

At the same time, my daughter just dumped her first real boyfriend. They've been together for about six months. He seemed like a great kid and I was getting to be friends with his parents. Now they hate me because he's devastated. "Why'd she dump him?" you may ask. Because outside of his conversations with us when he seemed like he had a great head on his shoulders, he was utterly and completely addicted to gaming. When they'd text each other at night, all he could talk about was what he'd blown up that day. Every couples date ended up with the girls sitting in the kitchen bored out of their skulls while the guys gamed together. Every discussion they had centered around video games. His career goals? Professional gamer, or gaming YouTuber. College? Nope, he wants to play video games. It really makes me feel bad that I misjudged him to the degree I did. However, I wouldn't complain if he got his head on straight and she reconsidered. For now, though, I have to work school events with him mom and she just glares at me.

I should point out that, other than word games and logic puzzles, I haven't played any sort of video game in at least 2-3 years. Our girls aren't into it, their friends don't game, and my one friend who used to finally gave it up. The few people we know who do game seem to have the same sort of "lofty" goals and skewed grasp of reality.

Reaction score
I always wanted to get into Star Wars Galaxies and then The Old Republic but was always a little intimidated by RPG games and a little worried about being toooooo interested in it.

I've enjoyed some Video Games in my time, but I've also encountered those that can't get away from it... like WoW... Anyone remember Second Life? Weird memories of games like that.

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen 4-5 times one year. Thankfully, mine were all within a few blocks of my house so I was able to walk them all to their proper destinations. The house numbers were similar, almost, but the streets weren't so I have no idea how it happened, especially that many times. It might have been the year our regular mailman was fighting cancer. One lady was really thankful (I think she was the one with an Xbox), but the others all said they'd have kept them. I was annoyed enough by the last time it happened that I said, "You know, you could have just said 'thanks,' or 'Merry Christmas.'"
People are very ungrateful. Whenever I get someone else's mail/packages mistakenly delivered to me, I'll typically leave it at their front door. The few times I've knocked on the door, they usually won't respond. If someone acted like a belligerent #@$% about this, however - I would probably stop bringing them their mail.

Reaction score
I always wanted to get into Star Wars Galaxies and then The Old Republic but was always a little intimidated by RPG games and a little worried about being toooooo interested in it.

I've enjoyed some Video Games in my time, but I've also encountered those that can't get away from it... like WoW... Anyone remember Second Life? Weird memories of games like that.
My only brush with gaming addiction was years ago with a Facebook game. It was during an uncharacteristically slow time at work and I started playing for several hours a day. It grew a bit from there and one day I caught myself as I was about to pay several hundred dollars to join the game's elite subscription service. I realized how stupid it was, closed my account and with a couple very brief exceptions, haven't really played anything since.

Reaction score
Anything to excess is bad. But it sometimes takes an outside person to recognize the problem and tell that person. Only then will that person make their choice. It's not the games themselves but the impulsive behavior of its players.

Coz

Reaction score
You're getting on the freeway and there is someone behind you. You both have to merge left or be forced onto the next exit. There is a car speeding in the lane to your immediate left. You have to wait for it to pass. But of course, it passes the car behind you first and now that car merges left, speeds up and will not allow you to merge left. This is where if my car was armed with missiles I would blow them off the freeway.

Reaction score
You're getting on the freeway and there is someone behind you. You both have to merge left or be forced onto the next exit. There is a car speeding in the lane to your immediate left. You have to wait for it to pass. But of course, it passes the car behind you first and now that car merges left, speeds up and will not allow you to merge left. This is where if my car was armed with missiles I would blow them off the freeway.
All I can say is drive like NASCAR. Bump and rub. And put them into the wall.

Reaction score
The dean of my daughter's high school is a guy I went to school with. The principal tends to handle mostly administrative stuff (we seldom see her) while he handles most of the student and parent issues. To put it succinctly, he's a snob. He's always been a snob. I seldom interacted with him in high school because I was beneath him (his mom was the principal at the time). I'm always as friendly as possible to him and never say a negative word about him to our daughters, but I really can't tolerate the guy. If you're from one of the "right" families, he's wonderful. If not, he spends a lot of time looking down his nose at you. This afternoon I took my daughter to an extracurricular event. His son was attending as well. As I was walking out, Dean was walking in. I waved and went to say high. He held his hand up and reached for his pocket in the universal "I've got a call coming in" gesture. He pulled out his "phone," started talking and waved me off. The phone was a ballpoint pen.

Reaction score
The dean of my daughter's high school is a guy I went to school with. The principal tends to handle mostly administrative stuff (we seldom see her) while he handles most of the student and parent issues. To put it succinctly, he's a snob. He's always been a snob. I seldom interacted with him in high school because I was beneath him (his mom was the principal at the time). I'm always as friendly as possible to him and never say a negative word about him to our daughters, but I really can't tolerate the guy. If you're from one of the "right" families, he's wonderful. If not, he spends a lot of time looking down his nose at you. This afternoon I took my daughter to an extracurricular event. His son was attending as well. As I was walking out, Dean was walking in. I waved and went to say high. He held his hand up and reached for his pocket in the universal "I've got a call coming in" gesture. He pulled out his "phone," started talking and waved me off. The phone was a ballpoint pen.
People like that don't deserve the effort that should be wasted on them to punch them in the face. There are more important things in life to spend time on.

Reaction score
People like that don't deserve the effort that should be wasted on them to punch them in the face. There are more important things in life to spend time on.
This has been a real week for people like that. There's a couple we deal with occasionally. The husband works at the high school, the wife works at the grade school and both of them teach at one of the local colleges. As such, their kids have, and always have had, free private school tuition from preschool through college, and because of their coaching, they don't even have to pay the athletic fees at either of the non-college schools. Recently I had to tell one of our daughters she couldn't do an extracurricular activity, mainly because it wasn't in the budget but also because we just don't have the time, or the ability to be in seven places at once. Our girls are involved in tons of stuff but this one was one too many. No big deal in my mind because we keep them involved in multiple things and they seldom miss out, but when something comes along that we just can't do, we have to rule it out. It doesn't happen often but our girls understand that they can't do everything.

This couple is helping to run this activity and I was talking to the husband about it. He said he was disappointed that our daughter couldn't participate. I mentioned how busy we were, and when he seemed a bit dismissive of that I pointed out that it also costs over $1200 which is a bit more than we can do at the moment. He turned his nose right up at that and ended the conversation. When I saw him next, similar to the dean, he pulled out his "phone" and started texting so he wouldn't have to talk to me. I didn't realize until we were leaving that the "phone" was actually a paperback. I later found out that, after I left, he made a comment to another parent about how unfortunate it is that some parents don't know how to budget their time and money, then scoffed at the notion of tuition bills and extracurricular fees. He has two kids, twelve years apart, and has never had the same sort of time crunches we do, and has never had to deal with tuition bills or sports fees, but isn't bothered by looking down on and making comments about people who have to deal with those things.

The really annoying part is that I would say something to him about it, but my one daughter took his class last year, my other daughter has to take him next year, our youngest might have the wife as a teacher next year, and at least one of our daughters is considering going to the college where they teach so we'll have to put up with them for a while. So it's another of those grin, bear it and complain about it online situations.

Reaction score
This has been a real week for people like that. There's a couple we deal with occasionally. The husband works at the high school, the wife works at the grade school and both of them teach at one of the local colleges. As such, their kids have, and always have had, free private school tuition from preschool through college, and because of their coaching, they don't even have to pay the athletic fees at either of the non-college schools. Recently I had to tell one of our daughters she couldn't do an extracurricular activity, mainly because it wasn't in the budget but also because we just don't have the time, or the ability to be in seven places at once. Our girls are involved in tons of stuff but this one was one too many. No big deal in my mind because we keep them involved in multiple things and they seldom miss out, but when something comes along that we just can't do, we have to rule it out. It doesn't happen often but our girls understand that they can't do everything.

This couple is helping to run this activity and I was talking to the husband about it. He said he was disappointed that our daughter couldn't participate. I mentioned how busy we were, and when he seemed a bit dismissive of that I pointed out that it also costs over $1200 which is a bit more than we can do at the moment. He turned his nose right up at that and ended the conversation. When I saw him next, similar to the dean, he pulled out his "phone" and started texting so he wouldn't have to talk to me. I didn't realize until we were leaving that the "phone" was actually a paperback. I later found out that, after I left, he made a comment to another parent about how unfortunate it is that some parents don't know how to budget their time and money, then scoffed at the notion of tuition bills and extracurricular fees. He has two kids, twelve years apart, and has never had the same sort of time crunches we do, and has never had to deal with tuition bills or sports fees, but isn't bothered by looking down on and making comments about people who have to deal with those things.

The really annoying part is that I would say something to him about it, but my one daughter took his class last year, my other daughter has to take him next year, our youngest might have the wife as a teacher next year, and at least one of our daughters is considering going to the college where they teach so we'll have to put up with them for a while. So it's another of those grin, bear it and complain about it online situations.
I truly dislike people like that. Ones that live in their wonderful glass bubble and never worry about throwing stones at others. Or as that see it" common folk" . It's only when these elitist people have their glass world shatter, then they truly start to see that real world for how it is. But even then some keep that same attitude.

Reaction score
What really bothers me is that this guy's also on the parish board and has a hand in deciding who in the parish receives financial and other aid. If you're that stuck-up, obtuse and disdainful, I really have to question whether you're the right person for that sort of position. We knew someone at another church who was the same way. He had an extremely negative view of anyone who needed help, regardless of the reason, and was one of the people with final say in who received it. I saw a lot of people who hit rough patches get turned away because that guy didn't think they needed help as badly as they said they did.

Reaction score
"People" who don't use turn signals. I get it, you know which way you're going. Well the rest of us, don't!

Reaction score
When writers on tv shows clearly hit up google translate to write dialogue in other languages. Looking at you TWD...

Reaction score
Ok can someone please explain the Banana Republic Christmas commercial? I don't think I have enough drugs to understand what the hell is going on with it. Especially the guy in it. I mean what is he trying to say with his moves. The sweater is flexible? Is like Andy Wharhol produced this thing from the grave.

Reaction score
When coworkers make you feel obligated to chip in for your manager's Christmas gift. Raises were cut out 6-7 years ago. Bonuses were cut out 4 years ago. The gift card he used to get us each year (he got them through the managers' program through work, paid 1/4 face value), ended 3 years ago. Ever since, all he gives us are "coupons" to his wife's business. It's 5-10% off, but her shipping costs are outrageous (far more than it actually costs to ship) and she doesn't sell anything I'd ever even consider buying (everyone else on the team buys something each year to keep in his good graces). I got the email today asking for at least $20 to put toward his gift. I think I'm going to have to pass.

Reaction score
I should point out that, vital personal expenses aside, this comes on the heels of three different school fundraisers--all with a minimum donation of at least $30 (one was cookie dough with a minimum purchase of $40)--and four different sports fundraisers, plus pictures for each of the teams. I've had to endure lots of dirty looks over how stingy I've been the last couple weeks. These fundraiser things have been so ridiculous, I don't even mention them to my friends and family. I don't want anyone to think I actually expect them to buy a $50 tin of popcorn.

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before: One of my biggest pet peeves for years have been entitled people asking me for money. A lot of these are homeless, lazy, and many are addicted to drugs/alcohol. I'm sick of this happening, and never give them any. And, in some cases they get upset/enraged & even cuss me out when I don't - and, this makes me even angrier about the situation. I used to party somewhat when I was younger, but never let things get out of control. So, I have 0 sympathy for these people who have let their addictions control their lives and/or are too lazy to work.

Going along with this, I find that those who do give these people money are part of the problem. I.e., if people didn't give these lazy bums money, they wouldn't be going around expecting to get this from others - and then wouldn't get upset if others didn't give them any.

Which leads me to:

I may have mentioned this before, but Gaming Culture. A nephew on my wife's side might find himself homeless soon due to video games. Two years ago he had a steady, well-paying job with benefits. It was full time, though, which didn't give him a lot of time for video games during the day, and they weren't too forgiving when he couldn't function after staying up for 72 hours straight gaming on the weekends. He didn't like the hassle so he followed the lead of a few of his friends. He quit his approx. $35K/year job and replaced it with a barely-above minimum wage, part time job with no benefits, all so he could play more video games. He and his friends moved in together but that soon fell apart because of the constant arguing due to none of them being able to afford their share of the bills. He found an extremely low-rent place (really bad part of town), but he was happy because he could almost make ends meet and still game 10-12 hours per day. The only way he was paying the bills, though, was because he had about $6K saved up from his other job (not his own choice--his paychecks were going to the account his dad opened and managed for him). After a couple trips to the doctor and some nasty dental work, his savings were depleted. He hasn't paid his rent for the last three months, but he has kept up on his video game subscriptions (no idea what, just what his mom told me). He's not allowed to move back home without a full-time job, so come December 1st, he'll be out on the street. Smart.
Not surprised by this at all. What an entitled dumb@$$. This is a perfect example of someone who was doing well in his life (or at least OK), i.e. earning a living wage, probably paying most of his bills, etc. Then, he lets this gaming addiction get ahold of him - and things went downhill from there. Again, what an idiot. Excessive Gaming is obviously as addicting & damaging as drug/alcohol use. I'd also add gambling & food addiction(s) to this list of things that can not only deplete your bank account, but also irreparably damage your health.

Reaction score
How about your own father not agreeing with your hobby? Not sure if that's the right choice of words, but let me explain.

My Dad doesn't see the *point* in collecting. He's never told me not to collect or anything like that. About 10 years ago when I lived at home, we were out to dinner and told him that I like to collect Star Wars stuff. He said he already knew, and told me he doesn't mind, its just he'd rather me collect something like baseball cards. I thought to myself "Oh you just want me to collect what YOU like." I am a baseball fan, but like how he feels about the Star Wars stuff, I don't see the need to collect baseball cards. They aren't up my alley. I felt like whenever I bought anything, I had to sneak it into the house.

Now a few months ago my Grandmother (Dad's Mom) got diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. It hit all of us hard, especially my Dad. During that time I had some Billy Bookcases from ikea delivered to my house. I put them together, but some weren't connecting properly. Rather then break it, I called him for a little help. He came over and fixed them for me. Afterwards he's telling me "Enough with the bookcases, focus on your house" or "What would a girl think if you have her over?" Now he wasn't being mean about it. At the time, his mother was dying so I get he was upset. Plus he has some issues walking, its starting to get tough for him. I mean its not like I'm a bad person. I lost my Mom when I was 6, so my Dad raised me - and he raised me right. I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, I don't even have a speeding ticket to my name. So its not like I'm doing anything "wrong". Granted I don't buy a lot or overspend. I'm still able to get my bills paid. I do have quite the collection, but that's from it accumulating over the years.

I joke around that when I bought my house in January 2018, I bought a raised ranch for my collecting. If I have a girl over I can just say "Yeah downstairs is still being worked on... but I have a TV upstairs!" Joking aside, has anyone ever said anything about your collection or collecting habits? Or have you ever been dating someone and they got weirded out by your collection? I guess that's my biggest fear.

Reaction score
How about your own father not agreeing with your hobby? Not sure if that's the right choice of words, but let me explain.......I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, I don't even have a speeding ticket to my name. So its not like I'm doing anything "wrong". Granted I don't buy a lot or overspend. I'm still able to get my bills paid. I do have quite the collection, but that's from it accumulating over the years.

I joke around that when I bought my house in January 2018, I bought a raised ranch for my collecting. If I have a girl over I can just say "Yeah downstairs is still being worked on... but I have a TV upstairs!" Joking aside, has anyone ever said anything about your collection or collecting habits? Or have you ever been dating someone and they got weirded out by your collection? I guess that's my biggest fear.
-I can somewhat relate to parents not liking the fact that I'm a SW collector. Thankfully, I'm an adult & have been on my own for a long time, and don't give a flying $#%# what they think - it's my hard-earned $ and I'll buy whatever I want with this.....as long as it's legal - LOL.

Here is the way I see it: If you're paying your bills & aren't getting in trouble, you're way ahead of most people out there! If you want to spend your money on something that you enjoy, I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. This is a lot better than those who are into alcohol/drugs, can't hold down a steady job, overspend so that they have credit card debt out the wazoo, etc.

Going along with this, collecting SW toys is actually not that expensive - especially compared to other things you could be spending money on - i.e., expensive cars, expensive clothes/shoes, boats, tobacco, alcohol, high-end electronics, etc.

-As far as women & collecting, this is extremely relatable as well. I date casually, and never stay with any woman for too long. I occasionally have women over to my place, but I don't advertise that I'm a SW collector, nor do I even mention this. I can't remember if I told this story before, but if not: Years ago, a casual girlfriend spent the night for the first time. The next morning, I was getting some clothes out of my large closet (filled with SW stuff), but didn't turn on the closet light because I didn't want her to see inside. She stood outside the door & was obviously curious, but I somewhat blocked the door so she couldn't see my collection ;)

Later, I talked to one of her girlfriend's (an acquaintance of mine), and she said that my gf actually suspected me of being married - given that I was trying to hide what was in my closet - ha ha! Frickin' hilarious.

I have subsequently moved my SW stuff into another, less accessible closet & also gotten rid of a lot of stuff, so the collection is a lot less obvious ;)

Yes, if you're looking for a LTR the woman will eventually have to know that you collect & will obviously have to accept this - but, there's no reason to bring it up unless you really want the relationship to go somewhere. The issue I have with telling women about this is that I know some fellow collectors who were married (now divorced) who had to "hide" the fact that they bought/collected SW from their wives. In some cases, it got to the point where they were actually going out & buying toys, and then concealing them when they got home so that their wives wouldn't find out (I actually witnessed this several times) - LOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A quick follow-up to my work post: I was informed this morning that opting to not donate to the gift is something I should do only if I feel my career can take it. This didn't come directly from my manager and he'll deny it if HR is involved, but I got the message, loud and clear. Nice.

Joking aside, has anyone ever said anything about your collection or collecting habits?
Yes, many times, still do, even though I quit collecting years ago. It's annoying but none of their business, then or now.

Reaction score
When coworkers make you feel obligated to chip in for your manager's Christmas gift. Raises were cut out 6-7 years ago. Bonuses were cut out 4 years ago. The gift card he used to get us each year (he got them through the managers' program through work, paid 1/4 face value), ended 3 years ago. Ever since, all he gives us are "coupons" to his wife's business. It's 5-10% off, but her shipping costs are outrageous (far more than it actually costs to ship) and she doesn't sell anything I'd ever even consider buying (everyone else on the team buys something each year to keep in his good graces). I got the email today asking for at least $20 to put toward his gift. I think I'm going to have to pass.
A quick follow-up to my work post: I was informed this morning that opting to not donate to the gift is something I should do only if I feel my career can take it. This didn't come directly from my manager and he'll deny it if HR is involved, but I got the message, loud and clear. Nice.
Really sorry to hear about this - this type of practice should be illegal. It's sickening that you are being pressured to buy a gift for your manager. At my place of employment, we have explicitly been told that employees are not allowed to buy gifts for any managers due to the appearance/implication that those who spend the most $ on gifts may get preferential treatment by the manager - no s$#@, Sherlock.

Sometimes managers have gotten gifts for us employees, but when that happens they buy the same gift for everyone (typically gift cards). However, these gifts don't happen every year, nor do we expect them.

HR at most companies is useless & powerless. Think of Toby Flenderson from "The Office" TV show - LOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It never bothered me too much until the coupons for his wife's business became a part of it. That's when it really crossed a line for me. What it comes down to now is that we're expected to give him a little bonus each Christmas, then subsidize his wife's business as well. Several of the people on the team live near him and are friends with him and his wife. They shell out the most for her stuff, but they're also under his scrutiny a lot more than the rest of us so they all are certain they'll be let go if they don't buy from her regularly. I'm not a friend or a suck-up so I'm one of only 2-3 people on the team who don't contribute or patronize her. I know it impacts my review each year. If our reviews still translated into raises that might mean something. Since it doesn't, I don't spend the $75-100 it costs everyone else to support him and his wife.

Reaction score
I can honestly say that my wife knows I collect both star wars figures and baseball cards. She knew it from the start and even helps me finding things for my collection. She was cool with it from the start and just doesn't want it to take over the place. Which I understand because it's her place too, not just mine. She knows this has been apart of me from my younger years and connects me to my parents. It's engrained in me and can't but undone.