Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
I bought an item on eBay and the seller decided to require a signature confirmation upon delivery. I guess I can understand why they would do that, since it was a fairly pricey item, but it's just such a pain in the butt for someone who works a regular job. I live in an apartment by myself, so there is never anyone home when the mail guy arrives. Plus, I work out of town, so I am never actually in town when the post office is open. As a result, I ended up having to leave early from work just to pick up this package. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but with computer tracking and delivery confirmation, requiring a signature confirmation just feels like an unnecessary extra step.
As someone who orders a lot online as well, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I agree it's a huge hassle to need to be home so you can sign off on package deliveries. If you're not, they won't deliver them & then you're forced to have to go pick them up at the post office eventually; In my area, IIRC they try to deliver them 2-3 times before they leave them at the post office for a limited time.

However, this practice ensures that you will get the packages in your hand & that they won't be stolen off your front porch area (something that happens quite a bit, unfortunately).

I also suspect this is done in order for the seller to ensure that you (the buyer) receives the items. I.e., if you send someone an item & there's no verification that they received it, the buyer can always claim they never got the item (even if it's not true).

Just my .02

Reaction score
At least it wasn't left at your door and somebody takes it. That's no fun.
That's one of the most popular pastimes around here anymore. We had a few packages taken over the past year. I know a few people who no longer get packages delivered to their homes. One friend just got a PO Box because two of his neighbors steal other people's mail and if he's not home when the mailman gets there, he never gets his mail. The police/USPS won't do anything without video evidence and a PO Box is apparently cheaper than a Ring so now nothing comes to his house. It's ridiculous.

Reaction score
Another pet peeve: Misdelivered mail/packages. Though this doesn't happen as much as it used to for me, it irritates me when something is misdelivered. How hard can it be to read an address & deliver something to the correct location? Thankfully, most of my neighbors are cool & will give me my items if they're misdelivered to them; and, I do the same for them.

Going along with this:

That's one of the most popular pastimes around here anymore. We had a few packages taken over the past year. I know a few people who no longer get packages delivered to their homes. One friend just got a PO Box because two of his neighbors steal other people's mail and if he's not home when the mailman gets there, he never gets his mail. The police/USPS won't do anything without video evidence and a PO Box is apparently cheaper than a Ring so now nothing comes to his house. It's ridiculous.
This is appalling, though I know it happens a lot. As far as I'm concerned, any scum-bag that steals your mail/packages is as bad as someone who breaks in your house to rob you and/or steals your car.

To rub salt on the wound re: these crimes, these days people are buying a lot more items online due to being able to save money/time, so a lot more items are being delivered to people's homes than in the past. Also, even if you wanted to waste your time/gas money by driving to different stores to look for certain items, in many cases you wouldn't be able to find these & brick & mortar stores anyway - so online is the only option in many cases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is appalling, though I know it happens a lot. As far as I'm concerned, any scum-bag that steals your mail/packages is as bad as someone who breaks in your house to rob you and/or steals your car.
One of the things that really drives me nuts about it is that stealing mail is a felony, but getting the police or USPS to even look into it is worse than pulling teeth. My friend who got the PO Box has at least five other neighbors who are also having their mail stolen. All six of them have reported it to the police and USPS, and all six have been told they won't investigate without video. A couple of them, while talking to the police, mentioned the possibility of various tactics to handle the issue on their own. Amusingly, each of them was told they would be facing assault charges if they did.

Reaction score
I got somebody else's christmas presents delivered to my house last year. I drove across town to the correct address and delivered the boxes to the correct house myself. dude was shocked that I made the effort, he said (out loud) "I Would Have Just Kept It For Myself". do unto others. and all that.

Reaction score
I got somebody else's christmas presents delivered to my house last year. I drove across town to the correct address and delivered the boxes to the correct house myself. dude was shocked that I made the effort, he said (out loud) "I Would Have Just Kept It For Myself". do unto others. and all that.
I had the same thing happen 4-5 times one year. Thankfully, mine were all within a few blocks of my house so I was able to walk them all to their proper destinations. The house numbers were similar, almost, but the streets weren't so I have no idea how it happened, especially that many times. It might have been the year our regular mailman was fighting cancer. One lady was really thankful (I think she was the one with an Xbox), but the others all said they'd have kept them. I was annoyed enough by the last time it happened that I said, "You know, you could have just said 'thanks,' or 'Merry Christmas.'" It was almost as bad as the time we found a stray dog and cared for it for two days until we were able to locate the owner. He was angry at me that he had to drive across town to retrieve his dog, even though we gave him the food and treats we had left.

Reaction score
Workplace stupidity. I spent all week going through a bunch of old records. I had to correct and provide explanations for data going back almost six months, staying late several days in order to get it all done by this evening. This was after getting chewed out by a manager for the way I documented all these old records. His problem was that when I recorded this stuff, I didn't follow our current procedures which weren't in place at the time, and that I followed old procedures that aren't in use currently but were then. He also claimed that I didn't properly follow procedures for some of the records, even though I'm the one who wrote the procedures that apply to those records, so if anyone knows how to follow them correctly, it's me. I was also lectured for not following the procedures he rolled out verbally to a couple people on the team, but not the whole team. In other words, these two people were told to change how something is done, but nobody else was told, and those of us who didn't get the message are now having to go back through six months of data and "correct" it. I had to do two full revisions of the data because that last bit wasn't passed on to me until after I'd finished my first revision.

In the middle of all of this, I got called into a meeting with a higher-up manager to explain why I had instructed someone to handle a communication incorrectly. The problem with this is that I actually told them to follow the correct procedures, but one of our managers overruled me and told them to do it the wrong way. This manager was in the meeting and, it turns out, was the person who threw me under the bus. Thankfully for me, I saved our chat session where he told this other person not to listen to me and then detailed the wrong procedures. Now he's not talking to me because I didn't back him up and got him in trouble. :hmm:

Reaction score
Bad contractors. A post on Nextdoor made me think about this. We've had some horrible contractors over the years. In fact, we've had almost nothing but horrible contractors. Some highlights (or lowlights):

1) The couple who installed our floor. For our 5th anniversary, my in-laws said they'd get us a new floor for our living room. We had carpet but it was original to the house and awful. I wanted imitation hardwood and found a national chain that would install it for a very reasonable price. For some reason, they insisted on linoleum. I went with them to the store they wanted to go with. At that place, the linoleum was more expensive than the imitation hardwood. It was even more expensive than the actual hardwood estimate I'd gotten from a different local store. After a bunch of back and forth, they found this couple who did flooring on the side. Their estimate was more than the imitation hardwood but because my father-in-law found these people on his own (in other words, it wasn't the place I found), he wouldn't budge. They screwed up the under-flooring twice and had to restart the whole job each time, then they cut the linoleum wrong once, then installed it completely wrong once, resulting in two additional starts. The one day job completely disrupted our life for nearly two weeks. The end result was a sheet of linoleum that curled up by a couple of the walls, had tears in a couple of the curled spots, and was stained by the stain they used on the molding. They hid the curled spots and a couple of the tears with the molding, but they stained the molding in place instead of staining it and then installing it. The worst spot was the spot behind our couch, which I didn't see until a few weeks later. I called to have them fix it. As it turned out, even though they passed some of the unexpected expenses on to my father-in-law (I have no idea why he agreed to pay), they ate so much of the costs that they went out of business then left town to escape that and other debts. We eventually had the national chain fix some of what they'd done with the scraps they'd left, but to do it properly would require a whole new floor.

2) Our bathroom guy. What a disaster. My brother recommended a string of contractors to me, all of whom were terrible. This guy was the last straw. He re-did our whole bathroom--tile floor, toilet, vanity, tub, medicine cabinet. He never installed the toilet properly so if you didn't sit on it just right, it would leak. He also never installed the tile properly. He screwed up the cement/grout ratio and it never set up right. He reinstalled the toilet twice and redid the tile three times. After that, he blocked our number then changed his number. By the time I found a good number for him, he had given up his contractor business then eventually fled the state for legal reasons. We had everything re-done except the floor, mainly because to do that right will require ripping everything out and will cost a ton, so it's on the back burner.

3) The guy who did our gutters, doors and siding repair. He was recommended by a friend and seemed great at first. The gutters were fine, the siding repairs were adequate and the doors seemed fine. Then our front door fell off its hinges. He sent his partner out to repair it. He spent all day on it, telling me that it was somehow our fault that the door wasn't going in right. At the end of the day, he said he was leaving to get dinner and then he'd be right back. The door was so poorly hung, it wouldn't open. He said he'd fix it when he got back. We never saw him again. That weekend, his boss was arrested for beating his wife so severely, I think she ended up in a coma. We couldn't wait the 5-10 years until he got out of prison so we finally got someone else to re-do the doors and then recheck the rest of his work (only minor repairs were needed to everything else).

4) Our roofer. We had to have our roof replaced years back. We had several people come out. The one guy seemed great and had lots of references, including a few from people we knew. We picked out a roof and signed a contract but, thankfully, didn't pay him anything. He was supposed to be out the following Monday. He never showed and stopped answering his phone. After a month or so, we went with our second choice. It took them 3-4 weeks to finish the job and they did great. A couple months later, I heard a truck pull up out front and someone knocked on our door. It was the first roofer. He was furious that we'd had someone else do the work. He said he ran into some troubles, so there had been a delay, but he was there with our new roof and his crew, and since he had a signed contract, he insisted on either being allowed to do the work or me paying half. He left when I called the police but threatened to sue. We never heard from him again. We had a couple painters and an asphalt guy no-show on us as well.

5) Windows. We've had three different window companies over the years. One did all our windows, two others did repairs or glass block. All three did sub-par work then went out of business. The last one was one of the most reputable in town and had been in business 40-50 years before doing our windows and shutting down.

6) We had a contractor come out to give us an estimate on our basement. My father-in-law had just died so we had a little insurance money, plus our tax return and a bonus I'd gotten from work. I was willing to go as high as $20K to have our basement finished. I didn't tell the guy how much I was willing to spend but wanted a range of estimates based on which options we decided on. His initial estimates were all within our budget. Our "dream basement" would have created a laundry room, an office, an extra bedroom and a full bathroom, and his estimate for that was $17K. When we talked to him again, he said $19K and when I mentioned the $17K, he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. It was still in our budget and a lot less than our next most affordable estimate so we went along with his claim that there had been a misunderstanding. He came out to take some extra measurements and before he left said $23K. I mentioned the $19K and he said that hadn't included taxes or the special toilet he said he'd have to get since I had allegedly given him incorrect information about our floor (I hadn't). I didn't sign anything and waited to see what he'd come back with after that. What he came back with was a contract for $38K. I nearly threw him out of my house. We argued a bit and he said he would go with some less expensive options and then send me a new contract for the "original" price of $25K. What he sent was a contract for $58K. We argued again, he agreed to fix it, then sent one for $72K. I quit talking to him, but he sent us several copies of the $72K contract. In the end, emergency surgery negated the possibility of the new basement, but that guy was really insane.

I have least a dozen other examples, including our two worst, but those two would take pages and pages to tell about.

Reaction score
Ok I bought something on eBay & went for the lowest price (my fault) after checking out I see a really long wait time for the item. I wait thinking its just the system. Nope my guess is that seller did not have the item & will at some point will pick it up. Can’t cancel the order. There was a recent hurricane in the area so I should expect a longer delay. In the meantime I bought said item from someone else & it a race to see which gets here first. (Update Second item is on its way and will likely get here first)

if you are selling have the dam item in your hand. No one should have to wait a month just to ship a item out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let's just face it, most of the general public are lazy, stupid,rude people. And sadly mostly in this wonderful(cough) , wonderful country of ours. They except to be paid great for not working. Rather sit in a drive thru rather than go in, or heaven forbid cook something at home.Then complain about how long it takes to get order or how much gas they waste. And when people do go to a store to shop, don't dare ask for help finding anything. They look at you as if you were from Mars. Sometimes I honestly think there needs to be more chlorine in the gene pool at times.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As someone who orders a lot online as well, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I agree it's a huge hassle to need to be home so you can sign off on package deliveries. If you're not, they won't deliver them & then you're forced to have to go pick them up at the post office eventually; In my area, IIRC they try to deliver them 2-3 times before they leave them at the post office for a limited time.

However, this practice ensures that you will get the packages in your hand & that they won't be stolen off your front porch area (something that happens quite a bit, unfortunately).

I also suspect this is done in order for the seller to ensure that you (the buyer) receives the items. I.e., if you send someone an item & there's no verification that they received it, the buyer can always claim they never got the item (even if it's not true).

Just my .02
It was a minor incovenience and I kind of understand why the seller wanted that extra level of confirmation, since it cost nearly $400. Still, all that's necessary for eBay's buyer protection to kick in is a tracking number and a delivery confirmation from the post office. I don't have a problem if someone does want signature confirmation as well, but at least mention that in the auction description. This way buyers can decide for themselves if it's worth that extra bit of hassle.

Reaction score
The countdown to my next birthday. Less than 2 weeks and really not looking for to it. It reminds me of being a kid and seeing older people and saying " I'm never going to be that old". And now in about 2 weeks I will be. I know it's just a number, but the thought of it just makes me sad.

Reaction score
My job only has 4 employees. Half the employees are out sick. Me and the new guy are doing twice the work, and I’m exhausted. Now I find out I’m going to continue the whole week.

****ing hire more employees for ****s sake. The owners are real ****ing lucky I wasn’t sick too otherwise they’d be ****ed. They’re lucky I haven’t quit yet.

Reaction score
My job only has 4 employees. Half the employees are out sick. Me and the new guy are doing twice the work, and I’m exhausted. Now I find out I’m going to continue the whole week.

****ing hire more employees for ****s sake. The owners are real ****ing lucky I wasn’t sick too otherwise they’d be ****ed. They’re lucky I haven’t quit yet.
Then you guys should be getting double the pay. They can't just say, Oh you guys take up the slack---for the same pay.
Ask for some sort of compensation.

Reaction score
Then you guys should be getting double the pay. They can't just say, Oh you guys take up the slack---for the same pay.
Ask for some sort of compensation.
If you make it through without complaining and your superiors are good people, they will take notice and when something like a promotion comes along, kindly remind them. I run 2 departments at my job and my superiors know it. I get cut a lil extra slack here and there. If they are unappreciative then screw with them and call in sick too.

Reaction score
I'm just looking for a new job at this point. I've been asked by the owners to take on more responsibilities a couple of times before, but I've been giving them the run-around, because if I get promoted here, I'm getting promoted in a dead end job, and I hate that feeling of getting pulled in deeper into the quicksand.

Reaction score
Well at least you get to see the doughnut guy from the old Dunkin doughnuts commercials everyday. How’s he doing,
? :)

Reaction score
Sadly, that's the norm nowadays. The slackers will get by doing minimal work while others bust their hump. And bosses don't care who does all the work as long as it gets done and makes them look good in the end. That's why they lose good workers daily, only to replace them with some loser slacker. Which then saves company more money in hourly wages. Let's face it, most companies suck. They're dead end, mind numbing jobs of repetitive motion. It's not like it used to be where people stayed at one job for a career and got well taken care of by their company. Times have changed, mostly for the worse in some cases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My wife’s co. Uses a temp service, and subsequently things go from bad to worse. They complain; they don’t want to do a days work; sometimes they don’t even show up. The regular employees are forced to work OT & weekends, and then the home office complains they’re over budget.

Reaction score
Companies get what they pay for. There's a reason why temps are temps. But will say a few do a great job,but only because they really want a permanent one not just a few bucks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sadly, that's the norm nowadays. The slackers will get by doing minimal work while others bust their hump. And bosses don't care who does all the work as long as it gets done and makes them look good in the end. That's why they lose good workers daily, only to replace them with some loser slacker. Which then saves company more money in hourly wages. Let's face it, most companies suck. They're dead end, mind numbing jobs of repetitive motion. It's not like it used to be where people stayed at one job for a career and got well taken care of by their company. Times have changed, mostly for the worse in some cases.
Ain't that the truth. So at my job (teacher) I've been the math coach at my school for 12 years. It used to be an extra duty that is part of our contract (up to 8 hours total a month), but last year the district started "paying" coaches for it. Mind you, the "pay" is crap for it and we got it at the END of the school year even though the math competition is in March ever year. Anyway, now that it's "paid" they removed it from out list of extra duty items, so since you have to do a minimum of two activities and if you choose to do the math coaching, you end up with three duties.

So the lazy people sign up for the easy stuff like holiday assemblies, Read Across America/Dr. Seuss, social committee, and then no one wants to do the long commitment/difficult ones.

But this year I told my principal and my grade level teachers that I was out. It's not worth the long commitment to select the team of 6 out of twenty-something candidates, work after school a minimum of 2-3 hours after school a week for about three months, and then the day of the competition spend an additional 3-4 hours there. My principal doesn't seem to happy about it (she's been very quick and short in our conversations lately whereas before she'd try to be all chummy) and the teachers didn't say anything about taking on the duty either. One of them asked if there could be outside people asked to help (like college students or high school students) and "volunteer" hours they may need. Wow, I thought, how pathetic.

But anyway, it just drives me nuts that the slackers and bosses just rely on the dedicated people to always handle the tough work.

Reaction score
Google’s very stupid belief that when typing in the name of this website that I would give a sh about Rebel Wilson.:p

Reaction score
More Facebook stupidity. I keep telling people that, regardless of what they think, my life doesn't hinge on checking Facebook, so if I don't respond to something, it's nothing personal. Plus, with all the changes they make to their feeds, I never know who or what I'm going to see. There's a lot of people I never see posts from unless I check their profiles. My sister-in-law is currently furious with me and has been posting passive-aggressive comments and memes for my benefit all week. She posted something the other day. I didn't see it. I have no idea if it showed up on my timeline or not. I did see her third or fourth meme about how the people closest to you are always the ones who let you down the most, then the seven or eight that quickly followed. I later found out that she expected me to post words of encouragement on that original post I never saw and had her feelings hurt when I didn't. Whatever.

Reaction score
Re-guarding Facebook....
Any post that is obviously written by someone else & ends in some BS like only real friends/only 1% of you I just reply with the words Data Mining.
Same goes with political posts that show 0% research or anything that make people question if you are a spamming robot. (yes those quizes & math problems are data miners!)

I also have a few people who if they stopped posting on FB, would require me to call 911 since they are obviously dead. I'm afraid I might need to have the talk about what "activities" you shouldn't post on FB :eek:o-o

Reaction score
So I've been a homeowner for just under 2 years now, I'm pretty sure you're NOT supposed to toss a dead squirrel onto someone else's property. Or am I just being unreasonable?

Reaction score
So I've been a homeowner for just under 2 years now, I'm pretty sure you're NOT supposed to toss a dead squirrel onto someone else's property. Or am I just being unreasonable?
Toss it back.

My thing that drives me nuts...

Long wait times when trying to reach customer service on the phone. Wait times used to be bearable, but lately I've had to make a lot of calls since we bought our second home, and I'm averaging almost 15 minutes wait time.
Ridiculous. The worst part is sometimes I can't just handle the issue online. I need to speak to a person for specific things. Annoying.

Reaction score
Toss the squirrel back up place it somewhere where it will matter drainage pipe dog house under the porch. Mailbox with a bloody note saying Never Again!!!!
:whistling:

Reaction score
Toss it back.

My thing that drives me nuts...

Long wait times when trying to reach customer service on the phone. Wait times used to be bearable, but lately I've had to make a lot of calls since we bought our second home, and I'm averaging almost 15 minutes wait time.
Ridiculous. The worst part is sometimes I can't just handle the issue online. I need to speak to a person for specific things. Annoying.
Omg you are so right. How'd those phone commercials go " Reach out and touch someone." I so wish I could with some of these customer service reps. No training, no clue, and no sense.

Reaction score
Toss the squirrel back up place it somewhere where it will matter drainage pipe dog house under the porch. Mailbox with a bloody note saying Never Again!!!!
:whistling:
Or better..... neighbors Christmas gift. Card unsigned of course.

Reaction score
You really just gotta love neighbors. Now I've got one that parks his long flat bed trailer in back, in the grass. But here's the best part, the idiot pulls in and can't back it up. So he turns around in the grass and leaves these wonderful deep tires marks at least 20 feet in from the pavement. If they can't drive it, then don't park it there duh.

Reaction score
Some background, I was on vacation last week, my grandmother passed away last Tuesday. Took a few days for bereavement so I was home yesterday.

I had the window open that faces his house. I saw him walk out and fix a few things on his property. I go back to doing what I was doing. I hear a scraping noise, like someone was shoveling something. Curious, I look out my window and I see a squirrel airborne and land on my front lawn in the mulch area. There is no beef between us (as far as I know) and even last year when I met him he said if I ever needed any help to let him know. So I have no idea why he did that. The squirrel was in front of his driveway, but in the middle of the road. It was definitely fresh. I left the house to do a few things, came back maybe an hour or so later and it was dead in the road. My thought? Leave it there, not toss it onto someone's property!

I didn't bother saying anything, I tend to keep my mouth shut and I avoid conflict whenever I can. After he did that he went for a run. I grabbed the shovel and tossed it in the woods behind me.

Reaction score
Some background, I was on vacation last week, my grandmother passed away last Tuesday. Took a few days for bereavement so I was home yesterday.

I had the window open that faces his house. I saw him walk out and fix a few things on his property. I go back to doing what I was doing. I hear a scraping noise, like someone was shoveling something. Curious, I look out my window and I see a squirrel airborne and land on my front lawn in the mulch area. There is no beef between us (as far as I know) and even last year when I met him he said if I ever needed any help to let him know. So I have no idea why he did that. The squirrel was in front of his driveway, but in the middle of the road. It was definitely fresh. I left the house to do a few things, came back maybe an hour or so later and it was dead in the road. My thought? Leave it there, not toss it onto someone's property!

I didn't bother saying anything, I tend to keep my mouth shut and I avoid conflict whenever I can. After he did that he went for a run. I grabbed the shovel and tossed it in the woods behind me.
Just leave it on the road. A buzzard will come in at some point and get it. Let nature take it's course.

Personally, I would have tossed it back on the road in the exact spot from whence it came. :p

Reaction score
Just leave it on the road. A buzzard will come in at some point and get it. Let nature take it's course.

Personally, I would have tossed it back on the road in the exact spot from whence it came. :p
I should have put it on his property with a note that said "I know."

Reaction score
RomanXKnight, your post about the bad contractors was so incredibly relatable to me - that it was almost painful to read.

I have a small home, and as it gets older there is a lot of work that needs to be done. However, I would rather not have any work done at all vs. having to deal with incompetent, greedy, lazy, and unscrupulous idiots - like the ones I've had to deal with numerous times in the past.

1) The couple who installed our floor. For our 5th anniversary, my in-laws said they'd get us a new floor for our living room. We had carpet but it was original to the house and awful. I wanted imitation hardwood and found a national chain that would install it for a very reasonable price. For some reason, they insisted on linoleum. I went with them to the store they wanted to go with. At that place, the linoleum was more expensive than the imitation hardwood. It was even more expensive than the actual hardwood estimate I'd gotten from a different local store. After a bunch of back and forth, they found this couple who did flooring on the side. Their estimate was more than the imitation hardwood but because my father-in-law found these people on his own (in other words, it wasn't the place I found), he wouldn't budge. They screwed up the under-flooring twice and had to restart the whole job each time, then they cut the linoleum wrong once, then installed it completely wrong once, resulting in two additional starts. The one day job completely disrupted our life for nearly two weeks. The end result was a sheet of linoleum that curled up by a couple of the walls, had tears in a couple of the curled spots, and was stained by the stain they used on the molding. They hid the curled spots and a couple of the tears with the molding, but they stained the molding in place instead of staining it and then installing it. The worst spot was the spot behind our couch, which I didn't see until a few weeks later. I called to have them fix it......
Awful - what a mess; it sounds like these people didn't know what they were doing from the beginning, and didn't want to admit this. And/or they were just sloppy.

Our bathroom guy. What a disaster. My brother recommended a string of contractors to me, all of whom were terrible. This guy was the last straw. He re-did our whole bathroom--tile floor, toilet, vanity, tub, medicine cabinet. He never installed the toilet properly so if you didn't sit on it just right, it would leak. He also never installed the tile properly. He screwed up the cement/grout ratio and it never set up right. He reinstalled the toilet twice and redid the tile three times. After that, he blocked our number then changed his number. By the time I found a good number for him, he had given up his contractor business then eventually fled the state for legal reasons. We had everything re-done except the floor, mainly because to do that right will require ripping everything out and will cost a ton, so it's on the back burner.
What a nightmare. And, this is the most relatable story for me. Re: my story, I'll start from the beginning; I'm putting in all the details as a warning to others; like your posts, this also serves as a sort of cautionary story:

1) Back in Spring 2016, I had a new toilet installed in my upstairs bathroom. The floor was linoleum, but the underfloor was wood (as was the entire 2nd floor underfloor). The plumber that installed the toilet was incompetent/lazy, and put in a toilet that was too big (but it did fit in the bathroom, barely), and I didn't know any better to call him out on this.

In Spring 2017, the toilet broke inexplicably, and I stopped using this since I just wanted to get it replaced & not get it fixed (which ended up being a good idea). So, some time later I got some plumbers in to replace the toilet. When they pulled it up from the linoleum floor, the linoleum floor tore off (a blessing in disguise), exposing the wooden underfloor - which was, to my surprise, severely water-damaged. As it turns out, since the toilet was too big - I suspect it wasn't lined up properly with the hole in the floor, and therefore every time the toilet was flushed it would leak water into the underfloor. I never noticed this because the water wasn't leaking around the edges of the toilet, but into the floor itself. Again, this is fault of the incompetent plumper.

2) As a result of the floor being damaged & also my needing to change the tile in my shower (because of age, not damage), I decided to have 1) the damaged portion of the bathroom underfloor replaced 2) the linoleum floor replaced with a tile floor and 3) the tile wall in the shower removed & re-tiled. So, I hired a contractor to do this - I had used them before (when they tiled my kitchen) and they did a competent job with that.

So, they came out & did the work. And, while the tiling work was proficient - they seriously messed up from several different stand-points - including the shower's plumbing (which they assured me they could do), and also in cutting the tile floor for the toilet hole:

3) A while after they left, I turned the water on for the shower, and rust-colored water came out. I stopped using this immediately, and called the contractor - he admitted that he had used the wrong pipe in the shower's faucet, and that he could come out & replace this. And, around the same time I noticed other issues with the shower's plumbing - the lever to turn the shower on was very difficult to turn; the drain wasn't working right; etc. As it turned out, the contractor never came out (despite my repeated calls/e-mails to him), and I needed to have a plumber come out & fix the contractor's mess - which was not cheap.

4) And, this same bathroom contractor cut the tile floor incorrectly for the toilet. I.e., the same plumbers who fixed the shower's plumbing told me the tile needed to be cut to a certain measurement, otherwise the new toilet couldn't be installed correctly.

So, that's where I am now with this. I.e., though my shower now works - the toilet has not been re-installed (due to the problems documented above). And, I'm not sure I want a toilet in that bathroom anymore - due to the possibility that it could leak into the wooden floor again & cause me the same problems as before.

Our roofer. We had to have our roof replaced years back. We had several people come out. The one guy seemed great and had lots of references, including a few from people we knew. We picked out a roof and signed a contract but, thankfully, didn't pay him anything. He was supposed to be out the following Monday. He never showed and stopped answering his phone. After a month or so, we went with our second choice. It took them 3-4 weeks to finish the job and they did great. A couple months later, I heard a truck pull up out front and someone knocked on our door. It was the first roofer. He was furious that we'd had someone else do the work. He said he ran into some troubles, so there had been a delay, but he was there with our new roof and his crew, and since he had a signed contract, he insisted on either being allowed to do the work or me paying half. He left when I called the police but threatened to sue. We never heard from him again.
Glad the 2nd roofer proved to be a good contractor & did a good job. Roofers are notorious for being crooked/incompetent. The 1st guy was a real a-hole. Coming to your home months after the initial contact, and expecting you to just drop everything after the work had been done by someone else? What an unreasonable scum-bag. Which leads me to....

We had a couple painters and an asphalt guy no-show on us as well.
Typical. I've had this happen several times as well with contractors, but only when they're coming to discuss the work - not actually do any work. It ticks me off that I take the time to be home from my job (they usually can't/won't come out on weekends) and not only do they not show up, but they don't even call me ahead of time. Thankfully I set these meetings up when I was going to be off work anyway.

We had a contractor come out to give us an estimate on our basement. My father-in-law had just died so we had a little insurance money, plus our tax return and a bonus I'd gotten from work. I was willing to go as high as $20K to have our basement finished. I didn't tell the guy how much I was willing to spend but wanted a range of estimates based on which options we decided on. His initial estimates were all within our budget. Our "dream basement" would have created a laundry room, an office, an extra bedroom and a full bathroom, and his estimate for that was $17K. When we talked to him again, he said $19K and when I mentioned the $17K, he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. It was still in our budget and a lot less than our next most affordable estimate so we went along with his claim that there had been a misunderstanding. He came out to take some extra measurements and before he left said $23K. I mentioned the $19K and he said that hadn't included taxes or the special toilet he said he'd have to get since I had allegedly given him incorrect information about our floor (I hadn't). I didn't sign anything and waited to see what he'd come back with after that. What he came back with was a contract for $38K. I nearly threw him out of my house. We argued a bit and he said he would go with some less expensive options and then send me a new contract for the "original" price of $25K. What he sent was a contract for $58K. We argued again, he agreed to fix it, then sent one for $72K. I quit talking to him, but he sent us several copies of the $72K contract. In the end, emergency surgery negated the possibility of the new basement, but that guy was really insane.
Wow - this is nuts. Contractors should never change their initial bid unless they have a he$$ of a good reason (additional parts/supplies, etc.). Glad you never had this guy do any work on your basement. It sounds like the bid would have just kept going up & up for no discernible reason. I would be surprised if this jerk was still in business.

I have least a dozen other examples, including our two worst, but those two would take pages and pages to tell about.
I know it would be a lot of work to write all of this, but I for one would be interested in reading these other stories - if you had time to post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is puzzling. I could see this happening more if you had a problem with the guy & he didn't like you. However, the way you describe this he shouldn't be upset with you. I agree that if most people saw a dead squirrel they should either leave it where it was, or throw it off to the side somewhere (in the woods, etc.) - not in a fellow neighbor's yard. That's a real @#%& move.

I also agree that in most cases when it comes to neighbors, it's best to not say anything detrimental - unless it's really important. These types of disputes can escalate, and may lead to jail time & worse. I've criticized neighbors in the past & though I haven't regretted this - I'm not sure I would do this again. In my case I had an issue with a neighbor & got upset with them; they got ticked off with me, and things went downhill from there. Within a year of the beginning of the dispute, they had moved - which I was happy about. However, these types of things don't always have the outcome you want - LOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
if he threw the dead squirrel into your 'mulch', then I would equate it, to using your garbage can to throw out a candy wrapper. not a big deal. that's where candy wrappers GO, afterall.

(IF he had thrown it into YOUR driveway, as opposed to his OWN driveway, then yeah.... dude's a *****. no excuse).