Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
This is exactly why I never depend on anyone; most people out there are *****h@#@s. Screw them.
This has been a crazy week for people expecting favors and being extremely ungrateful. Most of it's been the same person. My daughter's one friend spends so much time with her--especially over the summer--that people have asked us if we adopted. We take her just about everywhere with us and we're who she calls if her mom fails to pick her up or can't/refuses to take her somewhere, which is quite often. Her mom never has a problem with us taking her places in those instances, but she'll frequently tell her at the last second that she can't go someplace fun with us. She's implied that it's because she doesn't approve of how "lenient" I am. I'm not, really, but I'm not insanely overbearing like she is, so there's some conflict in our priorities.

Anyway, I was supposed take the girls out earlier this week. We'd been planning it for quite a while and the mother had approved. As I was driving over to pick the friend up, she told her she wasn't allowed to go. The next day, the girls had a volunteer project they were working on. It was an hour away. After taking them to breakfast, I drove the girls to their project in the morning with the understanding that the mother would pick them up that night. About five minutes before I would have to leave to get them, my daughter texted me to say that her friend's mom refused to pick them up. I went and got them, took them to dinner (they only provided lunch during the project and the friend had no food in the house), then took the friend home. The mom was conveniently out of the house when we got there.

The next night I got a text from the friend. She'd been at a school event a little over half an hour away but it had ended 30-45 minutes earlier. Her mom wasn't responding to her calls and texts. I ran out and picked her up then got her dinner again (still no food at the house). On the way back her mom called, said she was at work and then yelled at her for calling me for a ride. This is far from the first time something like this happened.

Yesterday the girls had practice. I said I'd take them and was planning on picking them up early so they could have lunch first. We were literally less than a minute from their house when the friend texted my daughter and asked us to not pick her up yet because her mom had come home from lunch and had changed her mind about her being allowed to go out to lunch with us. She still expected us to take her to practice but we weren't allowed to take her to lunch beforehand. We drove around for another 20 minutes then picked her up. The practice was far enough away that it was stupid and impractical to go to lunch, come back for the friend, then try to make it to practice on time. The mother had insisted on picking them up from practice, texting, "I don't want you riding home with that man!" Twenty minutes before practice ended, my daughter texted and asked me to pick them up because something had come up and the mother couldn't get them. Like usual, she told the girls to call me for a ride.

All in all, I've spent 6-7 hours driving the friend around this week, not counting the time spent preparing for the aborted plans and the pointless drive to their house, or the meals I bought her. I'm still waiting for the thank you note from the mom.

Reaction score
The whole driving with a cell phone in your lap thing...there’s not enough law enforcement anywhere to enforce the law. Where’s Dredd when you need him. Robocop maybe?
Agreed. Driving while talking (or texting) on your cellphone is a serious issue. No one should do this, ever.

I really have no idea what causes them to open up like this, especially because, once they get rolling, I tend to just zone out, nod and give the occasional "uh-huh." Kind of like when I'm talking to the wife. Which could explain it.
LOL!

As far as over-sharers go, I've had that happen occasionally. However, someone I know has it happen to her all the time. One of the funniest stories she told was when she was in a restaurant with her family, and, for no reason whatsoever - one of the cooks came from out of the back & told her in detail about the bad hangover headache he had, given that he had drunk too much the night before - Hilarious! And, talk about inappropriate - ha ha.

All in all, I've spent 6-7 hours driving the friend around this week, not counting the time spent preparing for the aborted plans and the pointless drive to their house, or the meals I bought her. I'm still waiting for the thank you note from the mom.
I'm sure you've already figured this out, but this mother is definitely taking advantage of your good nature. And, not only doesn't she appreciate your help (even though this is all a huge inconvenience to you), but - to add insult to injury - she's badmouthing you as a result. In essence, she sounds like an ungrateful $#%#@.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sure you've already figured this out, but this mother is definitely taking advantage of your good nature. And, not only doesn't she appreciate your help (even though this is all a huge inconvenience to you), but - to add insult to injury - she's badmouthing you as a result. In essence, she sounds like an ungrateful $#%#@.
Yeah, but dealing with her is like walking a tightrope. It's annoying but do I want to upset her to the point that she cuts her daughter off from ours? She'll occasionally help with the driving when we're in a real pinch, so I'm grateful for those (rare) occasions. Plus, we've grown pretty close to the daughter over the last few years and she tells me regularly what a positive influence I've had on her, so I'd feel bad if we were cut off from her and she'd be left to fend for herself in certain situations.

I will say that, when it comes to parenting issues, I can't comprehend the parents who seemingly hate being parents. It's not a walk in the park. The good times are great, but they're just a small part of being a parent. I've dealt with some truly horrible things as a parent. I've also had to lose sleep and drive and/or sit for hours just to see my kid compete, sometimes for as little as thirty seconds, or put in long hours of volunteering just to ensure they get to participate. I know plenty of parents who flat out won't do that. They then complain incessantly about the prospect of having to be involved with something like that. But they also complain about the sorry state of their relationships with their kids. It might be difficult at times, but if you want the good, you have to take the bad as well. I wouldn't trade any of it.

Reaction score
the reason she doesn't like you: you are making her look bad, re: "parenting".
you are shining a light on her parenting skills -- every time you feed her child a hamburger, it makes HER look like a 'bad mother'.
--> her attitude towards you is a defense mechanism. don't take it personally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
the reason she doesn't like you: you are making her look bad, re: "parenting".
you are shining a light on her parenting skills -- every time you feed her child a hamburger, it makes HER look like a 'bad mother'.
--> her attitude towards you is a defense mechanism. don't take it personally.
I think that's a big part of it. I don't take it personally; I just get annoyed when plans fall through, when she does something really egregious or when I'm having to fill the mom role for someone else's kid (and I'll just say there are specific issues that ideally should be mom-handled as opposed to dad-handled, and especially not someone else's dad-handled). What's funny is that I know lots of people who think she's a wonderful mother. However, those people only see how she acts with her son. She fawns over the son and doesn't miss a single thing he does, and he's her go-to excuse for missing the daughter's things ("Sorry, I can't take you to or show up for championships because Ben has to sit on the bench at his game in two days so I have to take him out and buy him snacks and Gatorade"). These folks also see what a great kid she is and automatically attribute it to her mom being a great mother.

I will say that my wife gets a lot more upset over the situation than I do, but she's more upset over the fact that I have to sacrifice my time, etc. to help out (I'm almost invariably the one dealing with these things). Personally, though, whether it's this kid or one of their other friends/teammates, I can't stand by and not at least try to help out when they're in a bad or troubling situation. I've had people do that to my kids and it infuriated me. I'd much rather drive an extra 30-40 minutes, pay a few dollars extra at Burger King, or lose an extra 30 minutes of sleep if it means one of these kids doesn't get left behind, misses out or goes without a meal.

Reaction score
On one day 90 degrees and feels like 105. Then with one woosh of wind goes to 70. Hello weather it's July, should be hot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unearned bad reputations. I've been fighting the idea that I call in all the time for pretty much my entire career. Years ago I was in an accident (not my fault) that caused me to miss a week of work. Not long after that, I had a life-threatening illness (literally) and my doctor insisted I take a full week off. I worked Monday-Wednesday at the time and with the initial days I called in and the time my doctor ordered me to take off, I missed two consecutive three-day shifts, so I was technically "out" for 18 days in a row. Aside from that, I called in a total of about two times the rest of the seven years I was under that manager. I thought I had the rep kicked but then, two managers later, I got it again in 2003 when one of my daughters was born. I called in one more time under that manager (over three years), but she not only insisted I was habitually sick, she told my new manager the same when she retired. In the five years he was my manager, I took off a week for an operation, then called in three times total the remainder of the time. When he left, just like the previous manager, he told his replacement that I had an attendance problem. I took off a single three-day stretch in 2012, which is the last time I used a sick day. I did use two vacation days over a three year span when we were getting bonuses for not calling in sick, but haven't called in sick outside of that. All told, I've used fewer than ten sick days in the last sixteen years and not a single one in over seven years. I currently have three team members who have used twelve or more sick days this year and two more who have used ten. Everyone else on the team has used 1-8 sick days this year, not counting the one who has over two dozen, although a lot of hers are due to calamities and natural disasters that were mostly outside her control. Despite that, in our last team meeting, our new manager singled me out as someone she was told calls in sick all the time. I didn't have the time to argue with her but I told her to be sure to check my attendance record before our one-on-one.

Reaction score
When your phone decides after at least 3 years of pictures sent to you by text decides to delete itself for no reason. So all the pics of pets being cute and holiday stuff. Gone. Just hope Mrs. still has them. Because two of three pets are also gone too sadly, so can't replace pics. I hate these wonderful inventions at times.

Reaction score
When your phone decides after at least 3 years of pictures sent to you by text decides to delete itself for no reason. So all the pics of pets being cute and holiday stuff. Gone. Just hope Mrs. still has them. Because two of three pets are also gone too sadly, so can't replace pics. I hate these wonderful inventions at times.
Cell phones are awesome and also THE WORST sometimes. My camera seems to randomly take blurry or just awful pictures, and then other times it's just fine. Also, battery life is a real kick in the teeth. I've had 3 different phones in the last 5 years because the battery just goes down hill so fast or just won't keep a charge. Is buying a new battery even a thing anymore for cell phones?

Reaction score
Yes it is. There's a place called batteries plus. I think they carry about every size battery known to man. Or can order it.

Reaction score
And is it just me or has anyone noticed stores are not filling their pegs with figures? I know it's summer and before xmas rush but still.

Reaction score
And is it just me or has anyone noticed stores are not filling their pegs with figures? I know it's summer and before xmas rush but still.
I don't want to laugh too hard if this is a serious post, but if it was in fact sarcasm then well done!!

There haven't been figures on pegs in almost a year. (depending on where you live... seeing something new on a peg is like finding a unicorn on a peg)

Reaction score
This has been a crappy week so I have a lot I could mention. I'll try to use some restraint.

The one that's bugging me the most is probably bigotry. I may have touched on it before, but it's been gnawing at me lately. About a week and a half ago, a self-proclaimed "uber progressive" family member told my daughter she couldn't come over with her best friend anymore because the friend is bisexual. They have a pool and this friend has been over there to swim with us countless times over the last several years. The girl's 15 and her sexuality has never been an issue around us, or even really a topic of conversation because the girls just act like teenage girls when they're together. This family member saw a text pop up on my daughter's phone, though, and now this friend can't go to her house and her kids can't come to our house if we don't break up the friendship.

Last Friday, at a fundraiser for one of the sports teams, I was working the register. A girl from a different team, I'm guessing 13-15 years old, came up to get something to eat. She has Down Syndrome and was doing everything on her own. She was friendly and didn't really have a problem. I can't even say she took longer than any of the other kids because some of the kids in the same age range had horrible counting and social skills and took forever to pay. Her mother was standing behind her to help her out but didn't need to. She thanked me for my patience and was very grateful that I didn't give the girl any special treatment. The mother behind her was disgusted though. She was angry at me for letting someone "like that" come through the line and pay on her own, holding everyone else up. She had several more hateful comments not worth repeating. The girl and her mother were still getting condiments, straws and whatnot and this lady was talking under her breath so they couldn't hear her. I didn't want to call attention to her and upset them so I just stared at her as she ranted. She finally asked for a hamburger. I told her we were out, despite the full tray of them in the warmer. She threw a few choice expletives my way and left.

Also in the past week, a parent I don't get along with heard me joking around with my other daughter's best friend. She was jokingly accusing me of mistreating her because of her ethnicity. I don't remember how it got started, but it's something she does all the time. "You're just saying that because you don't like _________ girls!" I typically either ignore her or just say, "That's right," or something similar. She's around us all the time and we joke around quite a bit so I never think anything of it. This mother reported me to the girl's mother and the girls' coach, saying a racist like me shouldn't be around the girl or the team. I got it worked out (the mom and coach should have known better to even listen to the complaint) but it really angered me.

Finally, at the same time this was going on, a different mother got upset because she saw the sort of kids I let my daughters hang around with. It was an informal gathering after practice and my girls sat with their friends, which included a black kid, a Mexican kid, a Native American kid and two Asian kids. Her daughter was friends with one of my girls but she's since been pulled from the team and has blocked my daughter on social media.

I sometimes really, really hate people.

Reaction score
I don't want to laugh too hard if this is a serious post, but if it was in fact sarcasm then well done!!

There haven't been figures on pegs in almost a year. (depending on where you live... seeing something new on a peg is like finding a unicorn on a peg)
Thank you very much for the kudos. I'll be here performing all week. And don't forgot to tip your servers. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
This has been a crappy week so I have a lot I could mention. I'll try to use some restraint.

The one that's bugging me the most is probably bigotry. I may have touched on it before, but it's been gnawing at me lately. About a week and a half ago, a self-proclaimed "uber progressive" family member told my daughter she couldn't come over with her best friend anymore because the friend is bisexual. They have a pool and this friend has been over there to swim with us countless times over the last several years. The girl's 15 and her sexuality has never been an issue around us, or even really a topic of conversation because the girls just act like teenage girls when they're together. This family member saw a text pop up on my daughter's phone, though, and now this friend can't go to her house and her kids can't come to our house if we don't break up the friendship.

Last Friday, at a fundraiser for one of the sports teams, I was working the register. A girl from a different team, I'm guessing 13-15 years old, came up to get something to eat. She has Down Syndrome and was doing everything on her own. She was friendly and didn't really have a problem. I can't even say she took longer than any of the other kids because some of the kids in the same age range had horrible counting and social skills and took forever to pay. Her mother was standing behind her to help her out but didn't need to. She thanked me for my patience and was very grateful that I didn't give the girl any special treatment. The mother behind her was disgusted though. She was angry at me for letting someone "like that" come through the line and pay on her own, holding everyone else up. She had several more hateful comments not worth repeating. The girl and her mother were still getting condiments, straws and whatnot and this lady was talking under her breath so they couldn't hear her. I didn't want to call attention to her and upset them so I just stared at her as she ranted. She finally asked for a hamburger. I told her we were out, despite the full tray of them in the warmer. She threw a few choice expletives my way and left.

Also in the past week, a parent I don't get along with heard me joking around with my other daughter's best friend. She was jokingly accusing me of mistreating her because of her ethnicity. I don't remember how it got started, but it's something she does all the time. "You're just saying that because you don't like _________ girls!" I typically either ignore her or just say, "That's right," or something similar. She's around us all the time and we joke around quite a bit so I never think anything of it. This mother reported me to the girl's mother and the girls' coach, saying a racist like me shouldn't be around the girl or the team. I got it worked out (the mom and coach should have known better to even listen to the complaint) but it really angered me.

Finally, at the same time this was going on, a different mother got upset because she saw the sort of kids I let my daughters hang around with. It was an informal gathering after practice and my girls sat with their friends, which included a black kid, a Mexican kid, a Native American kid and two Asian kids. Her daughter was friends with one of my girls but she's since been pulled from the team and has blocked my daughter on social media.

I sometimes really, really hate people.
I fully understand your pain. Two words for you about this People suck! Plain and simple. And it's truly a shame that adults teach kids hatred and racism. It's only because of narrow minded adults that this problem still exists from generation to generation. As for me, being outspoken and somewhat tactless, I'd tell this rude person regardless of gender or race that they are. If they made hatred comments to me about other people, I'd tell them to go back in their cave and never come back out.

Reaction score
I fully understand your pain. Two words for you about this People suck! Plain and simple. And it's truly a shame that adults teach kids hatred and racism. It's only because of narrow minded adults that this problem still exists from generation to generation. As for me, being outspoken and somewhat tactless, I'd tell this rude person regardless of gender or race that they are. If they made hatred comments to me about other people, I'd tell them to go back in their cave and never come back out.
With the mom at the fundraiser, I really wanted to tell her off but I also didn't want to upset the girl. I talked to a friend with a special needs kid who felt I handled it about as well as I could. I still felt lousy about not being able to do more. I talked to the head of our team and he said he'd have kicked the lady's kids off the team if she'd been from our team.

The family situation is a bigger headache. Everyone agrees that I'm right but nobody will come out and say the other person is wrong. My daughter knows what's going on but we won't tell the friend because it would devastate her. One good thing is that school is starting soon so there aren't too many more opportunities to go over there to swim, so we're likely not going to have to address it with her. Amusingly, just a couple months ago, this family member lambasted a coworker of mine who quit talking to me because I refused to cut ties with my gay cousin. Then again, he lives far enough away that she only interacts with him on Facebook and doesn't have to worry about him coming to her house.

Reaction score
With the mom at the fundraiser, I really wanted to tell her off but I also didn't want to upset the girl. I talked to a friend with a special needs kid who felt I handled it about as well as I could. I still felt lousy about not being able to do more. I talked to the head of our team and he said he'd have kicked the lady's kids off the team if she'd been from our team.

The family situation is a bigger headache. Everyone agrees that I'm right but nobody will come out and say the other person is wrong. My daughter knows what's going on but we won't tell the friend because it would devastate her. One good thing is that school is starting soon so there aren't too many more opportunities to go over there to swim, so we're likely not going to have to address it with her. Amusingly, just a couple months ago, this family member lambasted a coworker of mine who quit talking to me because I refused to cut ties with my gay cousin. Then again, he lives far enough away that she only interacts with him on Facebook and doesn't have to worry about him coming to her house.

Let me tell you, Pity people like them. because they are incapable of seeing the beauty and variety of life. I have friends and family from all walks of life, every race and faith imaginable. I am a richer man for it. It's like people that can't form relationships with animals and see pets as pests. It's so much easier to just divide people into two factions: cool or not cool. It's worked for me all my life. Just treat all people well, and as your equal, and the world becomes a better place. Special needs people are awesome. If they require help I always ask before I do, and the fact that you gave them the same time and courtesy as any other person is proper. If people are so caught up in thinking they are better or more capable than another, it's their loss. If they want to sever ties over someone's sexuality, their loss. Their bigotry is hurting others far more. Just do your part and be thankful for the variety in life. If we were all the same, Life would get dull quickly.

Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor last week, and he has problems with family members. I can see how it bothers him.

This is what came to me then, and it did again just now, so I pass it along to anyone here who cares to read it. Perhaps Lobotscomb saying to pity them, they cannot see... is what made me recall it now.

I have had people hurt me in very painful ways, and I struggle with forgiveness, or wanting to give back what I got from them. I lean towards holding myself to an ideal where I don't give back, and I treat people as I would like to be treated. And while that may help me hold myself to what I believe, that doesn't always wash away the pain.

But I have found that if I try to think of people as not being aware of what they are doing to hurt others, that things may be too much for them, and they do what they do because they can't handle the load they are carrying, I have found that to pity them lessens the pain they caused. Whether that applies, or they are just jerks about whatever, I don't know. But in handling how it affects me, if I think of their behavior as a sign that they are unable to properly carry their load, I can at least lose the anger portion of the pain they caused. What they did may still hurt, but I don't feel anger and struggle between giving back what they deserve, or holding to my principles. I can better carry the pain they gave me, and it is easier to stick to my principles, which makes me feel better.

So I am not justifying anything that people have done to any of you, and I don't tell you what way to behave when it happens. But I have found that thinking of their behavior as a sign of them being incapable of handling their responsibilities does lessen the anger, and that allows me to stay in a better place, able to handle my issues better.

It still isn't forgiveness, it isn't giving back what they gave me, but it is an attempt at understanding, which helps noticeably.

If that helps anyone, great. If not, that is fine too. I just wanted to share that perspective that I recently came to possess.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beautifly said. Growing up with so much bs in my life gave me a different insight than most have, but forgiveness is something i struggle with. But it was actually Henry Rollins (the Black Flag guy) who set me straight. He taught me that carrying anger toward someone is giving them too much of yourself. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned. Its still hard, but not as hatd.

Reaction score
I think it's a lot easier to formulate a reaction to a stranger--whether it's positive or negative--than it is to family, at least to family you care about or know you're not able to easily cut ties with. With the lady at the fundraiser, had the mother and daughter walked away it wouldn't have bothered me to tell her off and make a scene. At the same time, I'm able to put that incident behind me or out of my head a lot more easily than the family situation. I'll likely never see that lady again. I can completely forget about her and call it forgiveness or whatever you want to call. I might mentally say that I'm forgiving her but all I'm really doing is just not thinking about her anymore.

With the family situation, forgiving this person would/will be a lot more difficult, but we're going to have to come to some sort of agreement at least at some point. We no longer see the bulk of our family on both sides (cousins, aunts, uncles). I'll just say we know a lot of awful people and that sometimes living the best, most positive life you can sometimes leads to people hating you. That said, our remaining family are a bit closer, relationship wise, and we'd prefer to not cut them out of our lives, despite some of their terrible actions and decisions. With this person, my preference would be to try to sway them with reason and compassion. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what approach I'll take next but if we can get to a point where they can put aside their prejudices, at least in this case, I'd do what I could to forgive them. One thing I won't do, though, is act against my conscience. I couldn't live with myself if it was just me it affected. Seeing as how I need to set an example for my kids, it's even more important that I stick to what I believe is right. They may not agree with everything I do, but at the end of the day I want my kids to always see me as an honest, consistent, compassionate and moral person.

Reaction score
People who meddle in their kids' affairs. Yes, sometimes you have to, but other times the best course of action is to just let them be. Otherwise, they'll never learn to work through problems on their own. I was going to post this last week but got too busy. My daughter got in a fight with her best friend. It was nasty and ended with both of them declaring that they hated one another and never wanted to speak to each other again. It's shocking that such a thing would happen between teenage girls. This is only the fiftieth or so time that they've gone through this. In this instance, the friend was 100% at fault. Both admitted it to me later. She has a temper and is very outspoken so I was just as shocked to hear she'd caused it as I was to hear they'd had a fight. Before I heard any actual details, I decided I was going to handle it like I'd handled all their other fights, which is to stay out of it unless they ask for advice or input. Kind of a radical idea, I know, but I have some wacky parenting notions.

Sadly, a few other adults (at least one on each side of the equation) decided that they needed to respond in a more logical fashion. That meant they refused to speak to the other girl and then badmouthed her to their respective party behind the other one's back. When I realized what was going on, I confronted two of them and asked why they were doing it. Each said the other girl deserved it and that she had no right to act the way she did. I said that was likely the case but then asked why it was their business. I had several people angry at me for several days after that. I was called mean, insensitive, stupid, uncaring, ignorant, etc. Regardless, I stuck to my guns with the girls and then did what I could to make sure they avoided the other folks' input. Naturally, the results of my horrible parenting were disastrous.

The girls didn't speak for two days. On the third day, the friend texted me to see if my daughter was okay. She'd been texting her all day with no response. At least during the two previous days, when one texted the other she responded. Granted, the responses were terse, angry and sometimes hateful and vulgar, but at least they responded to one another. When I told my daughter her friend was concerned she said she didn't care, that she hated her and was done communicating with her. I broke my own rules and intervened slightly. I told her to at least text her to let her know she was alive. She glared at me and said she wouldn't. I told her to do what she felt was best. About an hour later, just before she went to bed, she finally responded. The two stayed up for another three hours texting and talking and working through their problems. Shocking, I know.

The following day, when I went to pick my daughter up from a school thing, the friend needed a ride. She was afraid to ask me because she assumed I was just as angry at her as the other adults were. I didn't hesitate to drive her home. They had a couple stops they wanted to make on the way so the "quick" ride home took about three hours. The friend started telling me about the fight. I told her I didn't need to hear about it. I told them both that they're teenagers and these things happen. I then told them about just a couple of the many times my best friend and I wanted to kill one another. The one unsolicited bit of advice I gave them was to keep in mind how valuable a good, close friend is, and how friendships like that are a lot more important than whatever caused the fight in the first place. So now, they're back to being best friends while two of the interloping adults still aren't back on speaking terms.

Reaction score
I forget if I mentioned this before or not, but people who get themselves gifts for your birthday. My birthday was last week. I received nothing but gift cards. Two of the people who got me gift cards bought cards to places they know I don't like and never go to. They love to go to these places, though. One offered to take the card back if I didn't like it. As in take the card off my hands, not return it and get me something else in its place. A third person who I may be married to got me a gift card to a place I only occasionally go but she goes to all the time, with the expectation that I'll take her there and spend at least half the gift card on her. I try not to be one of those people, but this is way too many birthdays in a row like this.

Another one I was going to post a few weeks ago is when you try to find an old friend online only to find out they've died. This happened twice in one week. I have a class reunion coming up so I started sleuthing again. For my last two class reunions I tracked down a lot of missing classmates. There were two I couldn't find. Both were friends. One was a good friend in high school. The other was a good friend since kindergarten. I lost track of both of them after high school. For the guy I was friends with in high school, I never knew his parents and couldn't find anyone who knew their names so it took me forever to find them. Once I did, they told me he killed himself shortly after high school. They didn't tell the school or any of his friends. The other one, my family was close to his family for about twenty years. They all seemed to drop off the face of the earth at the same time. Their last name isn't extremely common but they all have really common first names so I was finding as many as 100 of each name when I'd search for them. I put a lot more time into finding this guy than the other one because we were so close for so long. I got in touch with everyone I knew he was friends with throughout high school and none of them had heard from him since shortly after graduation. I sent out blind emails to people who might be related with no luck. I called the numbers of the houses I knew his family lived in but none of them lived there anymore. I tried contacting his sister who had been on Facebook for a short time but had disabled her account. No dice on any of them. It's been ridiculously frustrating over the years. I finally got a response to an email that I sent four years ago. It was one of his brothers. Why he waited four years to reply, I have no idea, but it turns out he died in a car wreck about fifteen years ago. They actually notified the school and their church (both of which I'd contacted) but when I tried them, nobody had any record of it. At least I know what happened to them, but it's a real bummer finding out they passed so many years ago.

Reaction score
The "need" to have an expensive I-phone/Smart phone is a real pet peeve of mine. I don't have one, and never plan on getting one. I've heard some of the newer ones cost $1,000 each - screw paying that much for a cell.

I do have a 7-year old antiquated cell phone that can barely text & can barely take pictures, etc. - but, I only use it for emergencies.

The one advantage to having a phone that's a crummy piece of $#%@ is that no one would ever want to steal this ;)

However, even though I don't spend a lot of $ on this (thankfully) - I still hate my cell with a passion, and there are times I wish I could run over it with a bulldozer.

And:

Also, battery life is a real kick in the teeth. I've had 3 different phones in the last 5 years because the battery just goes down hill so fast or just won't keep a charge. Is buying a new battery even a thing anymore for cell phones?
Agreed. My cell phone batteries are constantly dying, even though I almost never use the phone & am always charging this. I strongly believe that cell phone companies want you to keep replacing your phone so they can get more $ from you - so they set it up that the batteries keep crapping out quickly with usage. And, since the batteries are so expensive themselves to replace, you finally end up replacing the cell because you're spending so much $ on the battery replacement anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The "need" to have an expensive I-phone/Smart phone is a real pet peeve of mine. I don't have one, and never plan on getting one. I've heard some of the newer ones cost $1,000 each - screw paying that much for a cell.
I saw new phones for $1200 at Walmart last night. I always wonder who on earth would spend that much on a phone, but the brand new Iphones and Samsungs are both very popular at my daughters' high school. They each have friends who get a new phone each year, which is beyond ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Then again, one of our younger daughters has a girl in her class with a brand new Iphone X, so if a 9-year-old can have one, why should I be surprised at teenagers having them? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
my teenager has an iphone XR. it was a free upgrade from our service provider.
the monthly phone bill stayed the same.

it was either: (a) take the XR (and sign a contract for another 2 years)..
or (b) pay the exact same amount with the old phone on a 'month-to-month' deal with no contract.

so we signed the contract for 2 more years and took the "free" phone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
my teenager has an iphone XR. it was a free upgrade from our service provider.
the monthly phone bill stayed the same.

it was either: (a) take the XR (and sign a contract for another 2 years)..
or (b) pay the exact same amount with the old phone on a 'month-to-month' deal with no contract.

so we signed the contract for 2 more years and took the "free" phone.
The kids at my daughters' high school come from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds and phone-shaming is one of the most popular sports at the school. Thankfully most of their closest friends have to settle for what they can get or wait for "free" phones and upgrades that come with new contracts, so it's not something they have to put up with as much as some of the other kids. Plus, our girls are lucky enough to have phones that aren't so obviously out of date so they're able to pass around the really bad kids. They know a few kids who have the prepaid Walmart specials and they're treated terribly. Unfortunately, despite the regular warnings about not letting kids have access to a long checklist of apps and recommendations to keep them away from smartphones in general, the school has made it impossible for kids to function without one due to the variety of apps that are mandatory for classwork and communications.

Reaction score
Yes, this just re-emphasizes my hatred of these expensive phones. I.e., these days - in many cases you need an I-phone/smart phone in order to do certain things (get a Uber cab, etc.) - so you're out in the cold re: certain activities unless you have one of these phones.

But, what happens if you don't want - or can't afford - an expensive cell phone? Hell, I actually know someone who doesn't have a cell phone at all. I would love to eschew my cell phone completely - but, I keep it only for emergencies. These days, it's impossible to find a pay phone around if you need to make a call when you're out (pay phones have been discontinued, for the most part).

Going along with this, another pet peeve of mine is Facebook. I've never had an account, and never will. Years ago, someone told me I had to get a FB account, and I told them I would never get an account - and for them to go $#$@ themselves. Needless to say, this person and I are no longer on speaking terms - which was exactly what I wanted ;)

Reaction score
Yes, this just re-emphasizes my hatred of these expensive phones. I.e., these days - in many cases you need an I-phone/smart phone in order to do certain things (get a Uber cab, etc.) - so you're out in the cold re: certain activities unless you have one of these phones.

But, what happens if you don't want - or can't afford - an expensive cell phone? Hell, I actually know someone who doesn't have a cell phone at all. I would love to eschew my cell phone completely - but, I keep it only for emergencies. These days, it's impossible to find a pay phone around if you need to make a call when you're out (pay phones have been discontinued, for the most part).

Going along with this, another pet peeve of mine is Facebook. I've never had an account, and never will. Years ago, someone told me I had to get a FB account, and I told them I would never get an account - and for them to go $#$@ themselves. Needless to say, this person and I are no longer on speaking terms - which was exactly what I wanted ;)
My mother-in-law insists on a smartphone. I have no idea why. We get her the $30 burners from Walmart every time she breaks or loses one, which is quite often. She had a really expensive phone with an insurance plan a few years ago but the cost to replace it went up every time she destroyed one, so this is a much more affordable option. It's a necessity for me due to work, school and family commitments. However, I love when we go camping and have no signal. It's bliss.

As for Facebook, I nearly deactivated my account years ago but there were people I needed to stay in touch with who had abandoned all other forms of virtual communication so it was a necessity at the time. Amusingly, those people are all family members who are now estranged. I keep my account for some of the groups I belong to (mostly required communications from various school and sports groups), but also because of a small handful of friends I've made on there. I played a ton of FB games when I first got on there and managed to make some genuine, lasting friendships.

Overall, though, I despise Facebook. It's little more than a return to high school for Gen-X'ers. I've seen more friendships, marriages and families break up over Facebook than I care to think about. There are several relationships I've only managed to maintain by unfollowing people. The relationships of mine that have been destroyed in part due to Facebook are ones I'm better off without. Others who have tried maintaining those relationships have been put through horrendous abuse, so we got out while the getting was good. It's all so catty and childish, when I do look at it I scan through quickly and only stop for certain people.

Reaction score
You guys really are a bunch of dads LOL

An iPhone is their social status symbol since social media is so interconnected to their lives. It’s social-suicide for them to not have access to these apps. May be a first world problem, but it is like the end of the world to a 13yo girl who doesn’t have the most coveted display of successful social status symbol if she doesn’t have a decent iPhone and her apps. And it’s not just kids, it’s adults that are glued to their iPhones, even when you’re having dinner with them. It’s gone beyond rudeness when the most supposedly sophisticated people have this awful habit :sigh:

Reaction score
And things I hate with cell phones. Robo calls. They just clog up your phone with missed calls. I don't want to talk with "Peggy" from Russia about some new life changing forum or pill. Or worse calls about funeral insurance. I got another birthday coming up I don't want to even think about, nor want to discuss stuff about senior things. Makes me sound and feel older than I should or want to be. And bad thing is, I'm not even a senior person yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boomers and Gen Xers that don't know how their phone works and ask me to help them out. 9/10 I don't know how their android phone works either (I'm locked into the Apple ecosystem, and loving it), but all it takes is a minute or two to figure it out. Then I'll show them how to do it, and I get the classic,"I don't have time to learn, just do it for me."

You'd have more time if you just spent a couple of minutes playing around with your phone, instead of asking people to do it for you and getting mad when they can't do what you want exactly the way you want it.

I guess it's more just willing ignorance that bothers me.

Reaction score
And things I hate with cell phones. Robo calls. They just clog up your phone with missed calls. I don't want to talk with "Peggy" from Russia about some new life changing forum or pill. Or worse calls about funeral insurance. I got another birthday coming up I don't want to even think about, nor want to discuss stuff about senior things. Makes me sound and feel older than I should or want to be. And bad thing is, I'm not even a senior person yet.
Are you on the national "do not call" list? I know it's not useful for Peggy from Russia, but it should at least alleviate some of the U.S. ones.
If I get a number I don't recognize, I don't answer it. If it's legit, they'll leave a message. Although sometimes numbers that you do have business or whatever with don't leave messages, you can at least begin to filter them out.
I also always do an online search for the numbers. I block any that have been reported as telemarketers, possible scams, etc.
I immediately block any number that doesn't have anything to do with me.
Also, if you answer and it's a telemarketer or scammer, they will know you number/line is active.
Finally......and this is a big one, DON'T answer if you get a "call" from your OWN NUMBER!!! This is a new scam that is going around where they do some kind of reverse call thing (forgot what it's called). It's just a new way for scammers to get you to answer your phone and make sure your line is active. This literally happened to me last week. I was like WTH!!!
So, just manage the incoming calls carefully and you should be okay.

Reaction score
My thing for yesterday was that Amazon delivered my copy of Sacred Reich's new album Awakening. After a 23 year gap between albums, it was awesome to get some great thrash from one of my favorite bands from back then.
The "gap" in release times is seamless with this album. Been playing it several times since Friday.

Reaction score
Oh I hardly ever answer the calls. And I block every number too, but I do occasionally get mad and will answer one of them. Especially when then call like 5 times in a row on same day. Then I yell at them. Besides lately the scammers have been cloning local phone numbers. I'd love to see all these scams to stop and be outlawed. It just clogs up the airways.

Reaction score
People that when it's raining harder and driving, feel the need to put their flashes on. It's like duh, I know it's raining hard. I can see you are only going 45 instead of the 90 you normally insanely drive. Trying to get home 2 minutes before everyone else does, and are willing to bump anyone out of the way to do it. But to put flashes on? Why,just why? This has just started going on around here in past couple of years and personally I find it stupid. Comment sense should prevail in certain weather driving situations. Snow, heavy rain or fog. Don't even want to discuss freezing rain. These drivers around here can't figure this one out at all.

Reaction score
Oh wait. I mentioned snow. Quick run to the store to buy up all the bread and milk. Even though it's a flurry and wouldn't cover an ant, still buy enough for next 3 years. Sometimes people's behavior makes my head hurt.

Reaction score
For a more lighthearted one: When I dole out accidental insults. The insults themselves aren't necessarily accidental because the people receiving them surely deserve them; it's them hearing them that's not intended. The best example happened several times at work. I have this one coworker who is just an absolute bonehead. He'll say things that either make your jaw drop or cause you to instinctively want to say, "What an idiot!" Unfortunately for me, on several occasions I haven't been able to hold my tongue. In meetings I've always had my phone on mute, but on direct calls with him, he almost always says or does really stupid things just as I'm hanging up the phone. On a few occasions, I thought he or I had hung up and I gave voice to what I was thinking. Unfortunately, he was still on the line and then asked me what I meant by it. I quickly came up with an excuse each time but it made me more cautious. What really got me to make sure my phone was hung up before saying stuff was the time I did it with my manager. To be fair, he was being an absolute idiot, but it took a lot of convincing to get him to believe that I was responding to something I'd seen on TV and was not actually calling him a ****ing idiot.

The other example is when I've honked or yelled at a really awful driver, only to find out it's someone I know. This happened most recently just a few days ago when I was on my way home. We have an intersection nearby that is notorious for how often people block it. There are big signs on both sides of the road instructing people to not block the intersection. I was waiting to turn when the light turned red. This car coming the other direction took forever rolling to a stop. They left just enough room for me to get through...then pulled forward the rest of the way blocking it entirely. I yelled and gestured at the guy before realizing it was an older couple we've literally known for decades. Thankfully we don't see them that often anymore so I won't have to explain why I called him what I did anytime soon. :oops:

Reaction score
I bought an item on eBay and the seller decided to require a signature confirmation upon delivery. I guess I can understand why they would do that, since it was a fairly pricey item, but it's just such a pain in the butt for someone who works a regular job. I live in an apartment by myself, so there is never anyone home when the mail guy arrives. Plus, I work out of town, so I am never actually in town when the post office is open. As a result, I ended up having to leave early from work just to pick up this package. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but with computer tracking and delivery confirmation, requiring a signature confirmation just feels like an unnecessary extra step.

Reaction score
I bought an item on eBay and the seller decided to require a signature confirmation upon delivery. I guess I can understand why they would do that, since it was a fairly pricey item, but it's just such a pain in the butt for someone who works a regular job. I live in an apartment by myself, so there is never anyone home when the mail guy arrives. Plus, I work out of town, so I am never actually in town when the post office is open. As a result, I ended up having to leave early from work just to pick up this package. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but with computer tracking and delivery confirmation, requiring a signature confirmation just feels like an unnecessary extra step.
At least it wasn't left at your door and somebody takes it. That's no fun.