Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
She won't talk to me and definitely wouldn't listen to me if she did. Her family is all of the same mindset or worse. However, I'm hoping at least one of them sees the harm she's doing to herself and says something. I'm not sure about her kids, but her husband is to the point where, if she's off the deep end, he's the Marianas Trench. I'm sure he's added plenty of fuel to the fire, while convincing her that all these evil forces (including me) are to blame for what she's done to herself.

Reaction score
The Twitter situation got me thinking about the blizzard we had in the late 90s or early 00s. There was a system we supported that only a handful of us were trained on. I got into work early one night because we knew the storm was coming and I wanted to let the day shift get out before it hit. If I'd waited until my normal time, I'd have been spared what was to come. The lady on my shift who also supported it didn't make it in. In fact, only one other night-shifter made it before the snow. Nobody could make it in the next day, or the next, or the next. We were stuck there for four nights, three days. I worked about 87 hours straight because the day shift on that 4th day arrived late. We couldn't leave our area, so we took turns sleeping in our chairs or on a pile of coats on the floor. All I'd brought with me was a bologna sandwich and some chips, and the vending company hadn't restocked the machines in the cafeteria, so we ran out of food the third night. Our manager, and his manager, and the site manager all decided we hadn't earned any sort of bonus, but they all got bonuses for keeping the place running in the face of adversity. They felt the overtime we got was our bonus. The only silver lining is that one of the executives came to town a month later and I was invited to go to dinner with him. When he heard about my ordeal, he asked what the company had done to show their appreciation. I told him exactly what happened. He agreed that wasn't right, so I eventually got an extra week of vacation and a pizza. Medium pepperoni, not even a deluxe.

Reaction score
I had an argument with a coworker tonight. They said they'd read about someone doing something crazy and asked if anyone had ever done anything similar. I said I had, during a camping trip back in my 20s. He called me a liar and said what I'd claimed was "literally and physically impossible!" He then pointed me to a "news article" that proved it was impossible. It was a blog post by someone saying they didn't believe people when they said they did ______________. After a couple minutes of arguing, I got tired of it so I sent him the phone number of a friend who was on the trip with me and told him to text and ask him about it. It shut him up at least.

Reaction score
people of a certain age will always have a library of movies, music, and books. personally, I'll always have a hard copy of any of those 3. if the internet is down, you can't stream. no power, just grab a book... or a comic.. couldn't tell you how many times I have read and reread all of the star wars expanded universe books, ops, mean legends now. have over 1200 cd's, all of the expanded unverse books prior to disney taking over. plus 150 concerts/video DVD's, & about 500 movies.

Reaction score
^Especially when the streaming places (music or movies) stop, well, streaming something or they get the rights to something and only exclusively show it on their place. Sometimes you can't find what you want to see/hear, but since you have the cd/dvd/blu, the there's nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Weird weather! example, at 9 pm everything is frozen outside, at midnight, it's thawed out and dripping, them frozen again in the morning! this is in western Wa. too!

Reaction score
^Especially when the streaming places (music or movies) stop, well, streaming something or they get the rights to something and only exclusively show it on their place. Sometimes you can't find what you want to see/hear, but since you have the cd/dvd/blu, the there's nothing to worry about.

not long ago, my sister was looking for something to watch on Netflix. I ranted about how great the movie "Baby Driver" is, as it's one of my favorite films. I had just re-watched it on Netflix a few days prior, so I recommended it to her. she got back to me just a few days later and said "...are you sure you were on Netflix? because I can't seem to find it". that didn't seem right to me. I had seen this movie about a half dozen times, and I had only ever watched it on netflix. so I launched the app, and searched it up, and sure enough, it was gone. I was stunned. I'm one of those people, (like dthstr'77), who keeps a vast library of physical media.... but for some reason... I didn't own a copy of that film. :( so I panicked. I phoned every store in town until I found a copy on blu-ray. *whew!* physical media FTW :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had an argument with a coworker tonight. They said they'd read about someone doing something crazy and asked if anyone had ever done anything similar. I said I had, during a camping trip back in my 20s. He called me a liar and said what I'd claimed was "literally and physically impossible!" He then pointed me to a "news article" that proved it was impossible. It was a blog post by someone saying they didn't believe people when they said they did ______________. After a couple minutes of arguing, I got tired of it so I sent him the phone number of a friend who was on the trip with me and told him to text and ask him about it. It shut him up at least.

ok, I'll bite. what is this thing that you did, which is physically impossible? sky-diving in a thunderstorm? cliff-diving on acid? communing with the ghost of james brown? my imagination is getting the better of me. do tell.

Reaction score
ok, I'll bite. what is this thing that you did, which is physically impossible? sky-diving in a thunderstorm? cliff-diving on acid? communing with the ghost of james brown? my imagination is getting the better of me. do tell.
It was the amount of alcohol I'd consumed in a very short amount of time. This is the coworker who spends a couple days googling specific words and phrases whenever he interacts with others on the team in order to try to find them out and tattle about their internet use. Anyway, while the amount (1.5L) and time-frame (about 60min) were apparently remarkable, it wasn't a particularly unusual feat for me at the time and not something I'd have expected to generate such outrage in him. I should have kept in mind that his "wild" college story--the one he hesitates to tell around women and managers--is the time he and his frat brothers split a 12-pack and "skinny dipped" (they still had their jeans and cowboy hats on) in his female cousin's pond. If anything, I thought the instance I told him about was somewhat unremarkable because I'd actually gotten violently ill as a result. It was nothing like the time my friend's "violent drunk" buddies showed up to our poker game. I took a bullet for the team, emptying every bottle and can I could as quickly as I could in order to prevent them from starting a fight at my friend's parents' house. To this day, nobody knows for sure how much I drank that night because the legend grew over time, but it was definitely more than 1.5L of a variety of hard liquors, plus a whole bunch of beer. I kept them from getting drunk, thus avoiding a fight, but got so sloppy-drunk myself that I was never invited to play cards at that guy's house again.

Reaction score
You know, I've got something positive to say...optimism.

See, I work retail. It's a stressful time during the holidays. Heck, it can be stressful dealing with the public at any time. Period!
And yet here I am, sitting here, thinking I've got it damn easy because at least I'm not Kanye West's agent.

Always remember, it could be worse. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
On and off weather! the snow is always, has been for almost 2 weeks, one half inch deep each time! it piles up exactly to that depth then starts melting! then it freezes after it's gone, lots of very white frost, it melts, then it's nice out(I tolerate the cold well. then the cycle starts over! UGH!

Reaction score
I'm still FB friends with the wife of an old friend who decided we couldn't be friends anymore earlier this year. She'd said she would stay friends with me in case he changes his mind down the road, but she likes to take jabs at me occasionally. For instance, last night she posted a list of people she is permanently cutting off her Christmas card list, including me and the mutual friend her husband partially blames for our friendship falling apart. She's not friends with the mutual friend, so he didn't see the message. I would have been hurt by it if not for the fact that in the nearly 30 years they've been married, they've never sent out Christmas cards. Christmas cards are a huge deal with her family, so it's been a big point of contention for them in the past. I would have commented, but her siblings and cousin jumped all over the post demanding to know when she actually started sending them and why they'd never received one. She's also the one who, a few days after her husband unfriended and blocked me, announced to all her friends that he'd changed his email address and phone number in order to avoid me, then included his new number and email address in her post. Technology apparently isn't her thing.

Reaction score
Got an email from Disney + that the rate is going up to $10.99 in January. Besides some of the SW stuff, even $7.99 was too much for most of the meh stuff they have. All of these streaming places are losing their steam but they want us to pay up.

Reaction score
The asinine expression, "I said what I said," and any variation of it.
Most of the time it's in the context that the person is attempting to make what they said sound important or epic.

Reaction score
Most of the time it's in the context that the person is attempting to make what they said sound important or epic.
A coworker pulled that on me while arguing about a project we have to do together. I calmly repeated my comment, then he said it again. After the third time, I calmly and evenly destroyed his argument and showed that what he said he said was absolutely wrong, then our manager backed me up. He hasn't replied to me in over two months now.

Reaction score
:p
933-9339225_i-yam-what-i-yam-popeye-and-olive.png

Reaction score
going through the growing pains of my twin 10 year olds. both my son and daughter are always answering every question I ask with the classic "I Don't Know: (especially when they are in trouble, and my daughter is starting to be extremely defiant and grumpy all the time

Reaction score
after going round and round on 2 different calls to AT & T regading my directv account, wasting my time and patience, they transferred me to their retention dept, which I asked for in the beginning, and got it resolved in under 10 minutes with an extra $30 dolars off of my bill per month. I'm now getting a total of $70 per month. finding out that AT & T has spun directv off on its own again. that's why they couldn't figure out my situation and kept repeating stuff that I didn't need or won't. amazing....

Reaction score
Every change/upgrade I've made to my AT&T accounts in recent years have been messed up by the person who made the changes. I always had to go to the retention people to get it fixed. Each time resulted in $20-200 being taken off my monthly bill. The biggest problem is that their AT&T Store employees get a commission on the services they sell you, so it benefits them greatly to screw up your account and hope you don't notice. Twice now, they've added insurance to every device we own (up to $80 extra per month) when we have the family insurance that already covers them all. This last time they added a $7/month upgrade fee to each device, including the $30 burner phones we bought from Walmart for our youngest kids.

Reaction score
The past two days are the coldest we've seen in years. I've seen multiple posts on Nextdoor about people leaving their dogs chained up outside. One said their neighbor put the dog out Thursday night and never brought it in on Friday. They're pretty sure it died, but they were afraid to call the police on the guy because he has a rap sheet a mile long and they were afraid of retaliation. Another said they didn't report their neighbor for similar reasons. I tried to get the addresses so I could report them, but the people who posted about it wouldn't tell me. Our dog couldn't stand more than a few minutes at a time yesterday, so it infuriates me that these people were leaving them out for hours on end.

Reaction score
Here in WA. state, very weird on and off cold and warm weather! ice sheets covering everything one day, feels like spring the next! Ugh.
it rained little ice shards the other night, no wind barely, looked like diamonds, next morning, everything was white like snow they were was ice crystals! very dangerous!

Reaction score
On Saturday we got a small stack of Christmas cards in the mail. Half of them were from my wife's side of the family. She said all three of them had moved and wanted to know if I'd updated their addresses before sending them out. No. "Why not?" Because this was the first time she'd said anything about it. "But it's your job to update the addresses!" True, but it's your job to keep track of your family's addresses and let me know if they changed. I can only update the addresses if people tell me about them. Nobody told me they had moved. "Why didn't you ask?!?" You were in the room when I threw out the question to the whole family (we send cards to a few of my daughters' friends). You were in the room when I called my parents and siblings asking about changed addresses, divorces and deaths, and you hit like on my Facebook post asking for updated addresses. I think that counts as asking. "You should have tried harder." I bit my tongue and counted to ten. Then I counted to ten again. Then I pointed out how I had no help on the cards, did all the shopping and wrapping on my own, baked half the cookies, baked a pork loin and side dishes and took them to her mother on my own, took the kids to all 6,000 of their school and doctor appointments, all while dealing with COVID, long COVID, and no time off work. "Well, you should try harder next year." 🙄

Reaction score
the old saying "damn if you do, damn if you don't". for me, I I don't have many issues. no family to speak of, only child, etc. there very little I miss, but you learn to live with what you have. holidays for me, in the past, usually was dealing with health issues for my dad. thanksgiving till x mas were days that the family dreaded...

Reaction score
RomanXKnight,

Bro, I feel you. It's like no matter what you do, it's not enough. Plus you're always wrong. And let's not forget it's not about "you."

Honestly, I think as the years go by, husbands start becoming the "buyers and drivers." 🤨😬🥴

Reaction score
This year was the first Christmas I didn't spend with my folks. I bartend and was closing up the bar yesterday. I should've been done by 11pm (no plans after but maybe a beer at another nearby bar). But we have a frozen slushy machine that's really annoying to disassemble and clean. For some reason I simply could not get it back together and spent a good two hours trying to do this. I'm convinced I broke it and got super angry. My boss said it was fine and just go home. Then on the way home I slipped on ice and thought I fractured my arm. The thought of having to clean that thing again in the future fills me with dread.

Reaction score
RomanXKnight,

Bro, I feel you. It's like no matter what you do, it's not enough. Plus you're always wrong. And let's not forget it's not about "you."

Honestly, I think as the years go by, husbands start becoming the "buyers and drivers." 🤨😬🥴
No kidding. It just kept rolling yesterday. My daughters had a bunch of gifts they wanted to return and a few stores they wanted to go to for Christmas clearance sales. I had two stores I had to go to for actual necessities. We left at 8:00 AM. The stores were the worst I've seen in years. We were in the return line at Macy's for over 45 minutes, and the Target parking lot was so full, people were parking on the grass. We ended up parking at the abandoned shoe store two lots down. My plan was to be home a little after lunchtime, with 3:00 being my worst case scenario. We didn't get home until after 6:00. After bringing in most of the groceries and half the stuff my girls bought, I told my wife I'd order pizza and get the fire started (we've had the fireplace going all week thanks to the subzero temps), and asked that they all just put everything away. She insisted I also do the laundry, take the dog out, check on her mom, and clean up the mess she'd made while trying to put away a few decorations. After deflecting and delegating most of the crap I shouldn't have been asked to do in the first place, I finally managed to get the fire going while ordering the pizza. Heat's not instantaneous and everyone was ordering out, so it took a while for the house to really warm up and the pizza didn't arrive until almost 8:00. Tantrums were abundant and all fingers were pointed at me even though I'd turned the thermostat up a few degrees and had been texting my wife since 4:00 telling her to order dinner. Things settled a bit once everyone was warm and fed, but just as I went to take care of a few bills and emails I was planning on taking care of much earlier in the day, a little squabble broke out. I had to settle it, which ruffled more feathers and led to me being blamed for it getting out of hand in the first place, even though I was the only one in the house not involved. I told them I had a better solution. A month or so ago, anticipating situations like this, I set up a separate network for my stuff and all our smart home and security devices. I logged into the router and shut down everything else, then took away everyone's phones for the night. I figured if they were going to be mad at me anyway, I might as well do something to deserve it.

Reaction score
No kidding. It just kept rolling yesterday. My daughters had a bunch of gifts they wanted to return and a few stores they wanted to go to for Christmas clearance sales. I had two stores I had to go to for actual necessities. We left at 8:00 AM. The stores were the worst I've seen in years. We were in the return line at Macy's for over 45 minutes, and the Target parking lot was so full, people were parking on the grass. We ended up parking at the abandoned shoe store two lots down. My plan was to be home a little after lunchtime, with 3:00 being my worst case scenario. We didn't get home until after 6:00. After bringing in most of the groceries and half the stuff my girls bought, I told my wife I'd order pizza and get the fire started (we've had the fireplace going all week thanks to the subzero temps), and asked that they all just put everything away. She insisted I also do the laundry, take the dog out, check on her mom, and clean up the mess she'd made while trying to put away a few decorations. After deflecting and delegating most of the crap I shouldn't have been asked to do in the first place, I finally managed to get the fire going while ordering the pizza. Heat's not instantaneous and everyone was ordering out, so it took a while for the house to really warm up and the pizza didn't arrive until almost 8:00. Tantrums were abundant and all fingers were pointed at me even though I'd turned the thermostat up a few degrees and had been texting my wife since 4:00 telling her to order dinner. Things settled a bit once everyone was warm and fed, but just as I went to take care of a few bills and emails I was planning on taking care of much earlier in the day, a little squabble broke out. I had to settle it, which ruffled more feathers and led to me being blamed for it getting out of hand in the first place, even though I was the only one in the house not involved. I told them I had a better solution. A month or so ago, anticipating situations like this, I set up a separate network for my stuff and all our smart home and security devices. I logged into the router and shut down everything else, then took away everyone's phones for the night. I figured if they were going to be mad at me anyway, I might as well do something to deserve it.

Dude that's seriously almost unbelievable. I love when you "pull back" since everything you do or give an opinion/suggestion on is wrong and they accuse you of "not taking part in the family, decisions, etc." Gotta love it.

Reaction score
It's raining some more and we had a blackout, exciting! at least it's not very cold outside, almost spring like. but wet dogs can be a problem.

Reaction score
Dude that's seriously almost unbelievable. I love when you "pull back" since everything you do or give an opinion/suggestion on is wrong and they accuse you of "not taking part in the family, decisions, etc." Gotta love it.
The unbelievable part is when she takes credit for the cards, baking, wrapping and gifts. 🙄🤐

Reaction score
Some drunk ran into the hill in our back yard at some point early this morning. They cut a big gash/impact crater in the lawn and left deep tire marks, plus bits and pieces of their headlights and bumper. I'm guessing that's what woke me up around 3:00. No danger to the house, but if his path had been a little more in either direction, he would have taken out our fence or crashed into the utility pole. As it is, I have a strong suspicion they were injured, although I can't muster any sympathy for them.