Things that drive you nuts?

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with that TV series or you liking it. those people evidently need human rights training! they are the racists! what hypocrites. When Star Wars came out in '77, I was at a religious based college, after I saw the movie a dozen times or so and made a Jawa outfit, I was ostracized for the next several years I attended. they thought I worshipped the devil or something! It hurt because of the school setting , but I very quietly enjoyed Sci-Fi and Star Wars-as I do now ,a million years later!(seems like it) I had very few friends at the school.

Reaction score
The hatred really gets to me. I've had 8-10 relationships end or be irreparably changed for the worse over the past year or two because I don't hate the same groups these family members and former friends do. There are several shows and movies I can't discuss or mention around people I know because it will either turn into an argument about "their kind," or they'll unfriend me entirely. I can't mention several of my daughters' friends around a few family members because I know there will be retribution, either over us allowing them to be decent people and not forbid their friendships, or because they choose to remain friends with kids they've known most of their lives rather than hate them. It both infuriates and depresses me.

Reaction score
Having a little dog that tries to take up the whole couch ,when I take a nap on it. Then she gets mad and huffs when I tell her to move. Like its her couch,really?

Reaction score
People can enjoy whatever makes them happy (as long as it’s not self destructive or harmful) It doesn't matter in the slightest if I agree or disagree with what they like.

But over the years I realized certain types of people's opinions don't matter

1. I hate XYZ, then after a long rant, admit that they never watched XYZ & never will. (So you don't actually know about XYZ & made people sit though a useless rant.)

2. After a 2-4 hour rant, they finally admit "I only read the headline but that was enough." (Article actually said something completely different)

3. People who when confronted with actual evidence that they are wrong, mistaken or otherwise simply legitimately disagree with others, Decide that instead of saying "Let's agree to disagree." they will in fact strike down those who oppose them,, destroy all friend & family relationships, leave no evidence that they were in fact wrong, by actually rewriting history, hunting down & punishing those that disagree. After finally killing the cat who witnessed all this then continue to scream at the top of their lungs about how "right" they were all along.

4. People who haven't figured out violence makes every bad situation worse.

5. Basically people who are triggered & lose their sh#t whenever anyone thinks says something they disagree with. (Your opinions were never your own, they have been assigned to you by the one who thinks that you are dumb enough to never think for yourself.)

6. People who are completely controlled by telling them No. (see 5)

Learn from these people & try not to make their mistakes, choose to be happy not miserable.

Reaction score
Just going to vent here because I can: (just listing in order)
1) HVAC has an issue in August - Upstairs getting no AC for a few days
2) HVAC repair leaks and leaves large stain on upstairs ceiling
3) AC now working upstairs, but it's either ON and 60 or blowing hot air and 80 upstairs ... this is ongoing.
4) Dishwasher not drying / mold setting in > actually get a break on this one as neighbor is replacing theirs and we take the old one - works fine
5) Ceiling fan upstairs catches fire when it gets turned on for the first time in awhile... luckily the wiring does not burn the house down. Fan is no longer with us.
6) Dryer now not heating up so laundry is a problem.

Is it the machines taking over... or does home ownership just really stink?

Reaction score
Home ownership really is a double edge sword in some aspects, but when you space out all those bills over time you wind up paying les than renting mainly due to mortgages being cheaper than rent in most cases. Plus the home appreciates and builds equity over time. I think the major issue here is that they no longer make appliances that last 15-20 years like they used to, and that they add in all new technology that adds to the upfront costs as well as backend/maintenance. HVAC is/was always one of those things that need replacing every 10- 20 years due to being outside and working all day every day all year long, except maybe a few days in between seasons. Fortunately that's generally the only biggest expense outside of a new roof or major remodel, the appliances can be handled in one or two paychecks depending on what it is. As you already point out the dishwasher was free and possibly bought you several more years, but appliances can actually be bought fairly cheap if you know where to look.

I think the only perk to renting is possibly just having less of a headache over all those things because you simply call up the landlord to repair them and continue on paying your set rent. Plus it's handled rather expediently compared to you having to schedule everything yourself or possibly wait it out until finances allow the project to be tackled.

I've really been enjoying the new "The Wonder Years." It's funny, touching, well-written and has a wonderful cast. I watched the latest episode this morning and thought it was great. I replied to a Facebook comment, agreeing with someone who'd said they really liked it. Within minutes, I got a text from an old friend who was disgusted with my comment. He gave me a long list of reasons why he hates this show he hasn't seen and won't watch. I finally told him nothing he said was accurate and that the only reason he doesn't like it is because they're black. He was outraged that I'd call him a racist and, while explaining how he's not a bigot, made about a dozen statements about various groups that, if I were to make them at work, would get me immediately thrown into a diversity training class, and half a dozen more that would get me fired. He's the fourth person I know who has attacked me for saying I like the show.
Any show is fair game for people to either like or dislike, I don't feel it's an invitation to attack person simply because you do or don't. I also think that sometimes in the course of people leveling criticism at a show that fans of said show might feel attacked, or that their viewpoint was. Not saying this is what happened here as I don't know what was said, but I can recall several times in the Skywalker threads where people were quite hostile towards people with a different viewpoint as if their was attacked. So I can see how something might escalate. Personally I don't have an interest in this new version because I was never a big fan of the previous show, and the fact that it's centered around a black family means it really wouldn't be for me anyways simply due to the subject material not being relatable to me. Not having seen the show it would be ignorant for me to say that I hate it simply because it's not geared towards me. Plenty of shows out there don't appeal to me mainly due to story writing, plot points or not being fans of the cast enough to care to watch it. If I wound up not liking this new Wonder Years it wouldn't be due to them being black as I've watched numerous shows with an all black cast in my life, heck 80% of my viewing involves Asian cinema.

TBH, I think this new take on the show could be interesting perspective of what life was like for a black family set in that period versus a white family. Plus the show actually has a good cast so I may wind up watching it one day when I have the time.

That said, I can also understand fans who aren't fond of a reboot/reimagining of their favorite shows. But hate is a strong word to use for anything which is why I don't throw it around. I just say it doesn't interest me and say why it doesn't.

Reaction score
It seems like the word "hate" is used too often now and "dying" and "death"(virus talk) these words are depressing and make people fearful. they can also be words to gain control of people, make them comply and able to be manipulated easily, I will not comply and am not afraid of people calling names because I disagree with them or their words. remember, "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me". we need to take up that attitude, like when we were kids, we are dealing with "big" kids now who have forgotten that little saying.

Reaction score
That said, I can also understand fans who aren't fond of a reboot/reimagining of their favorite shows. But hate is a strong word to use for anything which is why I don't throw it around. I just say it doesn't interest me and say why it doesn't.
Based on other conversations with that person and several others, it's not the show they hate. For me, that's extremely depressing. We've had to have the "sorry, her parents won't let you be friends anymore because you have a black/gay/Muslim friend" conversation more than once. I honestly hoped we were done with that.

Reaction score
This does not drive me crazy, but another cousin passed away last week, it was not virus related, she had had some serious health issues going on and it had become too much, Weep.

Reaction score
This does not drive me crazy, but another cousin passed away last week, it was not virus related, she had had some serious health issues going on and it had become too much, Weep.
Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you:
May the wind be always at your back,
The sun shine warm upon your face,
The rain fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Reaction score
...also what drives me nuts....I'll mow our yard. A day or 2 later the neighbor will mow his BUT he'll leave an uneven strip of grass between our yards, averaging about 3 to 4 " wide. It looks STUPID

Reaction score
My neighbor does this as well. I always just end up mowing that part for the both of us. 😇

Reaction score
We had a neighbor who was a renter. He refused to mow until the city would post notices. He always thought we were the ones calling the city on him, rather than the neighbors whose yards were actually adjacent to his. No idea why. He finally left, which was a huge relief.

Reaction score
It looked bad year round. Whoever was calling, they weren't calling enough. During the fall and winter, you'd have 3-5' high dead weeds and grasses. It looked kind of spooky, but it was mostly a vermin magnet. When the guy left and the landlord started trying to reclaim the house, half the neighborhood got roaches as they fled the exterminators. Several others got mice and rat infestations.

Reaction score
Good grief! how could anyone live in a residential house like that with well cared yards around them? maybe they thought since they rented, the owner would do it? but if the weeds got that tall, it should bother the person living there, that person wasn't in their right mind -some what! I hope the rodents are gone now, Ugh.

Reaction score
I think they're mostly under control now. The house is still vacant, although part of that is due to a couple "infestations" of squatters, then copper thieves. Each time, the house had to be gutted and essentially rebuilt from the inside out. Each of those also led to new vermin infestations. I'm not sure how far along they are with this most recent renovation, but from what I can see from the outside, they still have a way to go.

Reaction score
I can understand why the Milkman would see a lot of action, but I can't see people lining up for the FedEx driver.
...also what drives me nuts....I'll mow our yard. A day or 2 later the neighbor will mow his BUT he'll leave an uneven strip of grass between our yards, averaging about 3 to 4 " wide. It looks STUPID
It's called a "fence". ;)
That would be frustrating tough, I mean how does the person not see/care about that strip? Things like that make you think they're just being an *hole on purpose.

Reaction score
You know.... For Halloween it be nice to get even with that neighbor that refuses to cut that strip of grass. Something like a prank hidden in that strip..Fake skunk, or dead body that rises up on motion. Something just to scare the s#$% out of them. Just once. And video tape the whole thing for later when having a bad day. A little something to cheer you up when down.

Reaction score
I am also evil! pranks can be very fun and useful! Like fooling a food thief in college with providing them with fake food and they actually took it, ate it and got caught! ha-ha! How about a remote control or motion activated snake in the strip, wriggling every time they mow near it? a motion activated sprinkler? a noise maker? woman screaming loudly? or... a motion activated(their side) recording telling them they missed some grass?

Reaction score
I am also evil! pranks can be very fun and useful! Like fooling a food thief in college with providing them with fake food and they actually took it, ate it and got caught! ha-ha! How about a remote control or motion activated snake in the strip, wriggling every time they mow near it? a motion activated sprinkler? a noise maker? woman screaming loudly? or... a motion activated(their side) recording telling them they missed some grass?
a snake in the un-cut strip seems to me would prevent them from cutting the strip...kinda defeats the purpose though it would be funny to see. Actually though, this summer I did see on 2 separate occasions, a snake slithering in our yard while i was mowing. Ran over both w/ the mower. The first, I'm not sure what happened to it because I saw no evidence of a snake afterwards nor any surround glass moving if it slithered away. The 2nd one though...made chop suey out of it...blood 'n guts everywhere... Greg Nicatero style.
What gets me though is, he'll leave no strip in the back yard, just in the front and side, and his side of the un-cut strip is not straight, it's wavy. Now my opposite side neighbor will not leave a strip. In fact w/o even ever discussing that we'd do it, we mutually take turns cutting a small little pie- shape-patch that's on our line the between the curb and sidewalk.

Reaction score
Now that is a good neighbor! how considerate-co-operation. What I meant about the snake in the grass was things like hiding in "tall" grass, but, as you said, maybe they would not get the point. but you could be very straight forward and sarcastic and put a small sign on your side saying things hide in "tall" grass. but the best way is maybe ask why they "enjoy" the strip of grass, or maybe they leave it there to remind their kids(if they had kids) to not cross into the neighbors side of the grass? just an idea. some sort of boundry line? Yes, I have also run over snakes while mowing, felt bad for the baby snake(always a baby snake).

Reaction score
Corporate ridiculousness. I spent over 2.5 hours this evening arguing with a manager (not my direct manager) and a coworker over my noncompliance. The argument started via email, then chat, then finally a conference call. We were notified a little over a month ago that we have a new tool rolling out. Everyone in the company is being enrolled in mandatory training. There's no clear guidelines on how the training is being rolled out. Each team--not person--was given a deadline to complete the training. The team guidelines and requirements aren't in line with the individual timelines and rollouts. My team's deadline was Friday. We were told that if we can't meet the deadline, we have to go into the training module and log our reason there. Like over half the rest of my team, I haven't had the training rolled out to me; therefore, I can't take the training and I can't login to the training tool to enter an exception. The argument finally ended, not because they finally saw my point, but the organization handling the training sent out an email saying that the rollout of the tool has been postponed indefinitely. Nevertheless, my manager is getting an email from the other manager about my bad attitude and refusal to take the course.

Reaction score
Roman, there is a communication problem with that management! I support you, you tried to communication clearly. maybe you are dealing with the Borg! the management think you are not "assimilated".

Reaction score
We have some people who can't operate outside of set processes. The process said we had to have the training done by the 8th, that if we didn't have it done we had to use the tool to say why not, and if we didn't do that, we were noncompliant. There was nothing in the process to address what to do if the noncompliant people didn't have access to the module. As a result, these two had no idea how to handle the situation. Situations like this happen more often than you can imagine.

Reaction score
They’re actual morons. They can’t think on their feet and don’t have the talent or the guts to make an independent decision. I’m sorry you have to deal with that.

Reaction score
Yes, glad you are not a drone, always compliant, no questioning higher up decisions, sounds a little like what's going on in the world? you shall comply or you will be absorbed or assimilated or turned to the dark side!

Reaction score
I can understand why the Milkman would see a lot of action, but I can't see people lining up for the FedEx driver.

It's called a "fence". ;)
That would be frustrating tough, I mean how does the person not see/care about that strip? Things like that make you think they're just being an *hole on purpose.
Years ago at an old place of work I once caught the receptionist of the building going out and getting into the FedEx guys truck for some action. Gross.

Reaction score
Hmm, I guess that’s one way to get your Razor Crest delivered faster…

Reaction score
Years ago at an old place of work I once caught the receptionist of the building going out and getting into the FedEx guys truck for some action. Gross.
I could tell pages and pages of stories about the shenanigans in my old office, and its parking lot, but this is a (relatively) family-friendly forum.

Reaction score
Years ago, after my letters to the editor generated a lot of response on the website of a trade magazine, I had an article published in the print version anonymously. It was about a different set of workers and managers, but the issues were similar. I got paid, which was nice, but what was better was that the magazine was popular among the managers at my office, so I got to hear a couple of them discussing it in the break room one morning. It was surreal. They were both thankful that we didn't have any managers or employees like that. My manager at the time, who was one of the main topics of my article, reported to one of the two managers. When I emailed the editor about it, she thought it was hilarious but didn't want to print that because she didn't think anyone would believe it. She said, "Sorry, but that's too 'Office Space' for real life." I actually printed out her email and had it hanging in my cube right above three of my complimentary copies of the magazine until I started working from home.

Of everyone involved, the only one still with the company is that upper-level manager. I talked to him several months ago and nearly mentioned the article, but he did lots of bone-headed things over the years, and every time someone brought them up to him years after the fact, he laughed it off, couldn't see how he'd done anything wrong, and never apologized or acknowledged anything. He's the manager who, after I literally saved the company millions fixing a problem another employee caused, gave the guy who caused the problem a raise and recognition at a staff meeting all because he couldn't keep the two of us straight.