The Witcher - Netflix

Reaction score
So as a fantasy fan, I wanted to give this show a shot. As I read A Song of Ice and Fire, all of Tolkien, Harry Potter, Conan the Barbarian, general mythology, folklore, fairy tales, and horror as well, I was intrigued. I've never played any of the video games. I didn't even know there were books until I did some research. Anyone else watching?

So...I'm not sure what to think. I'm three episodes in and there's stuff I like and stuff I totally roll my eyes at. It almost reminds me of the first time I started to read Game of Thrones or Dune, just so much lore is thrown at you so casually as if you should already know what it is, but I just found myself thinking "What is even going on?" by the first episode. Not much has changed since that either. It's extremely overwhelming. I still don't really understand a thing. It also, to me, sort of feels like it's almost obnoxiously trying to be "edgy," almost like The Witcher himself is trying to be "cool." He really just comes off deadpan to me and even at times such a cliche bad boy. Like he;s very, "Move over, Conan!" It just reminds me a lot of like the slew of copycat lesser wannabe fantasy that hit after Tolkien. It has that cheese-factor occasionally, almost cheap and generic looking at times. Other times it looks fantastic!

But with that said? There's almost a guilty pleasure I'm getting from it. I like it...enough...to keep watching.

P.S. Finished Episode 3 and that was a def. bump in quality IMO. Real good episode.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've already watched the whole series, so I'll keep it brief and spoiler free. Since one of my critiques is about the pacing, which later gets answered as to why it feels all over the place.

That said, overall I liked it. I've only a passing interest and have played the games. But I'm not totally into the lore as much as other might be, or as much as I am into Marvel, Star Trek or Star Wars.

I get what you're saying though, Cavill feels like he's trying to have no emotion and just eaking his way through life for this character. Honestly I had more interest in the Princess journey, it seemed to have more substance. Then there's Yennifer, boy she goes through a lot!

I'll probably watch season 2 to see where it goes, especially if Mark Hamill signs on. But truthfully it is a forgettable show.
I'm having much more fun watching Season 2 of Lost in Space!

Reaction score
With you 100%. It's like...I liked it...and I didn't like it at the same time. I think as it went on, it got a lot better. A lot! But how I ultimately feel is, it's a good time passer rather than anything more I'll be clamoring for.

In a lot of ways it does reek of poor-man's Game of Thrones, which that was really wannabe Tolkien (though I do believe it's certainly different enough to warrant not being called rip-off and more inspired by unlike some of the other wannabe's), but it even draws in some aspects of like a waaaaaay darker Harry Potter (Yennifer perhaps my favorite character), even Narnia-like things, and def. Conan-style quests (the sex and lust aspests from Robert E. Howard and George R.R. Martin too) with the Witcher himself too. Heck episode 3 gave me SERIOUS Beowulf vibes, maybe my favorite episode.

It's like this strange hodgepodge of like the best of the best of fantasy/fairy tale/mythology genre. But for the most part, by the climax, I came to actually be mildly invested. I'm like, "Alright, it's not perfect, but I can go with this. It was fun and well done...enough." There are legit great and emotional moments. Even powerful moments! But let's be honest here, there were also parts that felt totally Xena Warrior Princess or Hercules TV show corny just mixed with that almost raunchy "edgy to be edgy" Game of Thrones actions and dialogue. Even at times in Game of Thrones, when they went a little too over the top with modernized swear words, it took me out a bit. But this has moments when I'm like, really? "Did your mother **** a snowman?" I legit laughed, but more because it was so like...out of place.

The episode with the dragon, for me, was the most Xena cornball. I totally predicted EVERY beat. It read more like some dorks playing D&D than a legit original. All the staples are there. I totally called, immediately, the ENTIRE episode. Also, Hedgehog man? So this is outright drawing on fairy tales too? I mean, I CAN go with that, but it's hard for me to inter-splice the Shrek-like or Beauty and the Beast type moment with then a Game of Thrones moment of "Well f***!" and take it seriously. Maybe that's even the point? You're not entirely supposed to?

But the stuff I enjoyed was more so the Yennifer aspects, especially her growing up and evolving and learning and training...and the whole Princess story and the battles and siege.

I'd give it, as a whole season, somewhere between a C+ to B-. Watchable, at times highly enjoyable, at times even darn good, at other times utterly eye-rolling and derivative to the point of camp and making me even chuckle at the poor dialogue or writing.

....AND while I do think I've made sense of most of what actually happened, chronologically, I'm still not ENTIRELY sure I have. Hah!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Loved this show! Watched it a 2nd time to make sure I figured out the three time lines (which I hadn't, thoroughly but now do). I love Henry Cavill in this role! Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri are all wonderful characters to watch and to see how their destinies are intertwined. Jaskier is an absolute riot to watch as well, and that song... omg I can't get it out of my head!! :LOL:

Reaction score
Tell me about it, I had to stop 3-4 episodes in and rewatch because I thought I had skipped ahead or something. lol
Would have been nice if that had subtly told you there was different timelines.

Reaction score
Tell me about it, I had to stop 3-4 episodes in and rewatch because I thought I had skipped ahead or something. lol
Would have been nice if that had subtly told you there was different timelines.
Ain't that the truth? I mean, we're not stupid guys. We've all three proven we're rather freaking intuitive...and now you're the third in this to say you were lost as well. I'm not even ASHAMED. Yeah, I was utterly confused for a time. I kept thinking "Okay, I can follow...some...but over all, WHAT is going on? I have NO idea!" and I don't think it's fair for anyone to say that was on us. They just structured it super unclear, impossibly unclear to most anyone who hasn't read the books/played the games.

But even in despite of that, I kinda came to really enjoy it, despite that major flaw. Like said, not among my big fantasies (least not yet), but I'm on board for the future. I'm invested enough.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Throw me into the camp that was also thrown off at first with regard to the timeline and when certain events took place. Of course, as the series went on we come to realize how it all fits together, and it seemed intentional to give the audience an effect similar to what Tarantino did in Pulp Fiction.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It kept me engaged enough to get through the entire season. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the fantasy genre, but not really to a casual observer. Unlike Game of Thrones which I think has/had wider appeal IMHO.

Reaction score
The pros of this show definitely outweigh the cons, imho.
From what I've heard, Season 2 is supposed to be much more linear story telling. Apparently they went the Pulp Fiction route (good analogy, sharky) to establish the backstories of the three key players, which really worked for me once I wrapped my head around it. At this point, I don't think Siri's character is terribly interesting, so I understand why they bounced around. What's more, had they showed the series chronologically, beginning with Yennefer's story, I honestly think a lot of folks likely would have tapped out by episode 3 because we still would not have been introduced to Garalt of Rivia. While I initially loathed Yennefer, It did not take long for me to thoroughly enjoy, and truly appreciate the character!