The Walking Dead - Comic Book Series Discussion

Reaction score
All about any Pittsburgh nods. Especially since the whole modern zombie genre was created right here. RIP George.

Also the original Walking Dead pilot/comic (whatever) had them based in Pittsburgh, or starting out in Pittsburgh (again, details.. it was all in the #1 anniv issue) similar to how Dave Filoni (also from Pittsburgh) had a ton of little Pittsburgh nods in Rebels (Steela anyone?) I'd love to see some more references like that in the WD TV show.

Plus Nicotero is from Pittsburgh as well. OK, enough, Pittsburgh is great, now you know that. hahaha!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I read that headline on the FB spoiler groups and had a good laugh. That's a clickbait title if I ever saw one. The article on the groups mentioned the show though, even though the same source was Kirkman's comments at SDCC. All that one says is that Kirkman knows how the series will end, and he'll steer the show in that direction. That could be next season, it could be season 50, lol. This article mentions the comic, but the point is the same. It could be issue #175, could be #500.

By the way, that article's headline has been edited. It now reads:
[h=1]Robert Kirkman knows how he wants to kill off The Walking Dead comic[/h]Ian

Reaction score
Oh well would you look at that.. what do you know.. a nice little Pittsburgh nod in issue #170 this last week. Awesome... just awesome.

Reaction score
Oh well would you look at that.. what do you know.. a nice little Pittsburgh nod in issue #170 this last week. Awesome... just awesome.
That was awesome. They have yet to mention that it's Pittsburgh, but as soon as I saw the Highmark Building, I was like, YES!

Though I will say, if you know Pittsburgh, they were coming into the city from the wrong direction. PPG Place was shown behind the Highmark Building, which would mean they were entering from the North Side. If they were travelling from DC, they probably would have entered from the west or south - Oakland, or the South Side. If theywere already on th North Side and were headed for Ohio, there would be no logical reason to cross the bridge (was that the Clemente bridge?) and enter the city.

Very curious to find out what the city being empty means.

Reaction score
That was awesome. They have yet to mention that it's Pittsburgh, but as soon as I saw the Highmark Building, I was like, YES!

Though I will say, if you know Pittsburgh, they were coming into the city from the wrong direction. PPG Place was shown behind the Highmark Building, which would mean they were entering from the North Side. If they were travelling from DC, they probably would have entered from the west or south - Oakland, or the South Side. If theywere already on th North Side and were headed for Ohio, there would be no logical reason to cross the bridge (was that the Clemente bridge?) and enter the city.

Very curious to find out what the city being empty means.
So funny, I was thinking the same thing about the direction.. and yes, they are coming across the Roberto Clement bridge, so the stadium would be just on the right. Haha. Still such a cool little moment. Also, curious if it was just thrown in as a nod as it seemed kinda just stuck in there. Hope they have a little more of the 'burgh in there.

Reaction score
I think a trip from DC to Ohio in a comic about zombies required a mention of Pittsburgh, at a minimum. I would expect no less from Kirkman.

Reaction score
I was hoping to see a Terrible Towel somewhere! It was cool to see the Steel City.

Here we go Steelers! Here we go!!!

Reaction score
Interesting read.. interesting ending. Be interesting to see this character develop, no idea where they are going to take her.

Great read and a really nice tribute to Romero at the end. Also a nice throwback in the middle of the comic to Day of the Dead. Loved everything about it.

Reaction score
Anyone else read the new issue yesterday?

Spoiler:  
The entire Beta fight was a bit anticlimactic. And his identity? What? He was a known basketball player...ohhhhkay. I get that they wanted to show the how far someone could fall from the times before the Walkers came into existence. But it just fell flat to me. So, are the Whisperers basically wiped out now with Jesus/Aaron taking out that camp? Guess they need to move onto this Ohio group now. Damn, I still love the comic - but I feel a bit let down recently. Not to mention the show is just making me :'( with how far it has fallen from greatness.

Reaction score
Yeah, I read the comic yesterday.

After all the time they spent on it, the way they wrapped up that storyline was underwhelming to say the least.

Ian

Reaction score
Anyone else read the new issue yesterday?

Spoiler:  
The entire Beta fight was a bit anticlimactic. And his identity? What? He was a known basketball player...ohhhhkay. I get that they wanted to show the how far someone could fall from the times before the Walkers came into existence. But it just fell flat to me. So, are the Whisperers basically wiped out now with Jesus/Aaron taking out that camp? Guess they need to move onto this Ohio group now. Damn, I still love the comic - but I feel a bit let down recently. Not to mention the show is just making me :'( with how far it has fallen from greatness.
I had the same reaction about Beta...huh?

Reaction score
I had the same reaction about Beta...huh?
So much build up about his "identity" and then - :\

The entire Whisperer War was meh. This issue just rushed to completely end any last person associated with it. Hey kids, forget that threat...we have NEW WORLD ORDER starting in January.

Reaction score
I just noticed that issue #176 has a cover price of $3.99. Hopefully it's a double issue and not a permanent price increase.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since I no longer need to worry about comic arcs and characters spoiling the tv show, which appears to be going into left field, I'm going to read my last two hardcover comic books (24 issues) over Christmas break. I will still be a year behind you guys but I'm gonna try to come in here and kick it around with you guys more. Guess I'm not too worried about comic spoilers any more because it sounds like the comics might be getting a little "meh" now too.

Reaction score
Finally caught up with the last three issues. The end of the whisperer war ended with a whimper. Oh well. Filler issue I guess.

174 was interesting to say the least. I always looked at Negan as a pyscho clown that has been castrated in recent issues. I thought he was getting back to his old ways in 174, especially with Lucille 2.0 until Maggie showed up. I liked to see how Negan has grown as a person. Hopefully he goes out in a blaze of glory and saves a major player (Maggie perhaps?) in a future issue.

Looking forward to next issue!

Reaction score
Thanks AgentClaret! I can't wait to read more about the Whisperers and Negan! I'm geeked to see happens when Rick lets Negan off his tether. :D

Reaction score
Okay. Today's issue, the kick off of New World Order was fantastic! Really excited for this arc to play out.

Reaction score
It was far better than I expected, but I still don't like the GI Joe costumes the soldiers wear.

That last page was absolutely a surprise, and not expected in any way. I get a feeling the reunion won't go the way they expect it to though.

Ian

Reaction score
I feel excitement for TWD again after I read #175! A larger world indeed! Let’s see if Rick and his group can take this one over. :twisted:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Started reading my last two books a week ago... It's been two years.

When I dove back in a wondered who the chick was that looked like Clint Eastwood, and and then they called her Andrea and the memories came flooding back. I'd completely forgotten Andrea was still alive in the comics!

I thought it was neat when Rick went to see Negan, not really say anything to him, only to have Negan tell Rick that he was going to be let out of his cell to go kill the new bad guy (Alpha), which of course is kinda exactly what happened, only without Rick's consent. But D A M N did Negan get it done!! Took her head clean off and brought it back for Rick to see like a proud cat bringing home a dead mouse. Too funny!

Eugene talking to those people in from Ohio... I have a bad feeling about that!

I was a little sad to see Gabriel get killed by Beta and then ripped to shreds by the dead fairly uncerimoniously. As far as I got, nobody know of his death yet.

I still have about 7 issues to go after the initial onslaught of the Whispererers but it looks like Team Rick is pretty capable of dealing with those skin-bag wearing freaks.

I'm loving reading the comics again!!

Reaction score
NOOOO!!!! NOT ANDREA!!!! o-o:eek::'(
Well that was the first time this d a m n comic nearly brought me to tears.
Andreas goodbye to Carl and Rick were gutwrenching.
Negan's farewell was PRICELESS,
"You were a bad*** and you were hot as f***. I'd have been honored for you be the one to kill me."
Rick curled up in the fetal position on her fresh grave was a real kicker to end book 14.

Reaction score
I've thought about it, but I'm fully invested in the hardcovers, and buying both would be fiscally irresponsible. What's more, I knowmyself well enough to know that if I did begin buying the monthly issues, there would most certainly be a real danger of being bitten by the monthly-issue-completest bug, and THAT would be insanely fiscally irresponsible! :grin:

Anybody wanna get me fully up to speed on events after Andrea's death? Does Rick hunt down Beta and fully unleash the wrath of Rick upon him? Do the remaining Saviors remain amicable? Is Hilltop rebuilt? Does Eugene's Ohio Group rear its head in an ugly manner? Does Carl tap Lydia some more? Is Father Gabriel's death mentioned in passing by at least a second person??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anybody wanna get me fully up to speed on events after Andrea's death? Does Rick hunt down Beta and fully unleash the wrath of Rick upon him? Do the remaining Saviors remain amicable? Is Hilltop rebuilt? Does Eugene's Ohio Group rear its head in an ugly manner? Does Carl tap Lydia some more? Is Father Gabriel's death mentioned in passing by at least a second person??
Now, where is the fun in that? Secrets......

I buy the monthly (at my LCS when they open each release), and purchase the hardcovers - as I have reread them several times.

I have picked up variants here and there, but should probably unload those.

Ohh, should mention, been buying it monthly since issue #107.

Reaction score
Sent you a PM, Todd. ;)

If you want to just know a synopsis of what major events have happened, you could just look up the wikipedia of the comic. It'll give you an overview of events.

Ian

Reaction score
Sent you a PM, Todd. ;)

If you want to just know a synopsis of what major events have happened, you could just look up the wikipedia of the comic. It'll give you an overview of events.

Ian
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

The price just went up to $3.99 an issue last month.
Not bad. Could you tell me what issue # Rick curled up on ANdreas grave on the last page? Then I know how many issues I need to try to track down. Thanks!

Reaction score
Is it just me, or even with that last page, this latest issue was really boring? Take away the last page, and it may as well just be Woodbury 2.0.

Ian