The Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Disc. Thread (x2)

Reaction score
Real or fake? I'm thinking it's a Ben Kenobi Repro, but I paid almost nothing for it so I don't care either way. COO is stamped on the left leg " c 3.M.F.G.I. 1977" then below it, it says Hong Kong.

With the exception of the Ewok parts that I recognize, does anyone know what this other stuff is?

Reaction score
Thanks. Again, no skin off my back. It only cost me as much as a loose figure with no acc's would cost, so it was only a bonus if it were real. I also got the Jabbas guard that isn't the blue guy and isn't wooof, a cloud car pilot, and an Admiral Ackbar, all for about $20, so it was a good day either way.

sorry about the big pics, IDK why it was like that, hopefully a mod can shrink them down.

Reaction score
Re: The Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Disc. Thread

I picked this up yesterday at the Springfield Extravaganza. The seller guaranteed it was authentic but I'd still like to get that confirmed.

Reaction score

Looks authentic. The color is correct. Is there any markings on the hilt?

Reaction score

I can't get it to display in a picture. The seller said it was an L however what I can see is two lines that are parallel to the blade. They could be I or l

Reaction score

Yep, it's real. No worries.

Reaction score

Thanks I was worried I threw away $150

Reaction score

I still remember buying my vinyl caped Jawa as a kid.. I think it was from Sears.

Those were the days.

Reaction score

Could someone here please tell me if this lightsaber is the real deal:

blacklight:

Thank you.

Uli

Reaction score

Yep, it's real. "circles" on side points to it being authentic.

Reaction score

Perfect!
Many thanks for the quick answer!!

Uli

Reaction score

That most certainly is the real deal but I doubt Tom will grade since he isn't doing mine!

My saber is slightly smaller then production once as well. My research show this is probably one of the earliest releases done in production...

Cheers Rasmus

Is this new blacklight thing a CSI science for SW? LOL

Reaction score

Nice looking saber there. Im wanting to add that Luke to my collection one day, but i want a VC Jawa first.

Reaction score

Rasmus_Hult said:
Is this new blacklight thing a CSI science for SW? LOL
Does anyone know where any discussions on this test are going on? Does every vintage lightsaber glow or are there some that don't?

Reaction score

I think the only reason to use alternative lighting is to give the saber some depth so the details stand out in pictures. It is not something that would be used to verify the authenticity.
The saber pictured above is one of the more rare DT saber variants, which I nicknamed the "Circles" saber. (for obvious reasons). The Luke sabers are the most commonly found examples.
To date, there are two known matching DT "Circle" Vaders, and none for Ben, so overall these are pretty rare variations.

Bill

Reaction score

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to SW figure collecting. Everyone I've dealt with so far has recommended joining these boards, so here I am.

I have been a member of the CGC message boards for nearly a decade under the comicwiz handle.

Collecting/selling SW figures seemed like a natural evolutionary step as a secondary hobby, and I've witnessed a decade of 3rd-party grading in the comic hobby, so I think I have a lot to bring to this hobby.

Anyhow, enough with the long, dragged-out introduction. I met a gent from whom I've purchased a large collection of loose figures. He has two loose VC Jawa's and even though I only started collecting a month ago, I've learned the ropes quickly enough (and have had extensive experience in the comic hobby) to use caution with anything that has a premium attached to it.

I'm awaiting pics and will share once I receive them. The concern is with the VC Jawa that has a yellowish/light tannish/greenish hue vinyl cape. I have never seen one before, but then again, I've only been collecting for under a month.

I think I did the right thing by not being an alarmist about the figure, and before splurging on an ungraded, and seldomly seen figure by contacting toygrader, Tom of collectinvest.com and Joe of Briantoys. I've only heard back from Joe who says he has heard of an Australian version, but the ones I've seen or heard have a brownish coloured cape.

So I'm turning to these boards for help. I'm inclined to see this one through rather than resign to believing (without fact) that its a fake. It has a tiny cross pattern on the cape that is noticeable by the naked eye under lighting.

Has anyone heard or seen this variation of VC Jawa before? If so, what sorts of tells should I be looking to distinguish a fake from authentic.

Reaction score

I have a feeling the seller may be lurking or a long-standing member of these boards. Suddenly, they decided they don't want to sell the Australian VC Jawa

Reaction score

Update: I had a good email/text exchange with the seller yesterday. After forcing him on the topic of the VC Jawa, he admitted he himself wasn't certain it was real or not. I feel bad for the fact that he did pay good money for the figure, and may have done so at a time when AFA grading still was at its infancy in terms of being used to authenticate high premium figures with a high incidence of forgeries/fakes.

Nonetheless, I did want to share the picture he shared in hopes of hearing some opinion from the experts on these boards.

The pictures aren't the greatest, and I'm afraid the trailing overflash on them makes it difficult to really get a proper colour representation of the cape. They're pretty decent (and I've taken far worse). And I do recall the colour of the cape being slightly different - but then again, I was looking at it under flourescent lighting.

One thing I wanted to point out is on the image of the back - if you look closely at the trail of overflash, you will notice the cross-hatching pattern on the cape I was referring to.

Reaction score

I think your basic collecting instincts translate well into any hobby. (Congrats on moving into SW
) With the more high end pieces, you are buying the seller as well as the piece. Certainly asking questions and posting pics helps, as well as several people you can use as resources for. Personally, I never mind getting a "Do you think this is real?" email, but I've gotten several "Hey, I just paid $_____ for ______ , so you think it's legit ?"
My usual territory is DT sabers, but I've seen a few examples of the Toltoys Jawa, and the cape is completely wrong for that figure. The authentic capes have a more red/rust color tint to them. (darker than the figure)

I would shoot an email/PM to Jason West to get his opinion to see if this is possibly a US variant.

Bill

Reaction score

Hi there

That jawa doesnt look right to me mate, the crosshatch looks more like repro rippling, cape looks woring colour (but you said that could be the flash)
Looks too thick and the cut at the bottom doesnt look level.

The collar looks wrong too, its right up the back of his head, its normally not as big and sits tight below his head.

im sure someone else will chime in, but i defo wouldnt buy it.

Id ask for a full section of detailed pics before you buy it.

Andy

Reaction score

Bill_McBride said:
My usual territory is DT sabers, but I've seen a few examples of the Toltoys Jawa, and the cape is completely wrong for that figure. The authentic capes have a more red/rust color tint to them. (darker than the figure
Yes, I have used this page as a reference for the Aussie version.

Sorry in advance for sounding like the newb, but how do I get a hold of Jason?

Reaction score

plantman said:
Hi there

That jawa doesnt look right to me mate, the crosshatch looks more like repro rippling, cape looks woring colour (but you said that could be the flash)
Looks too thick and the cut at the bottom doesnt look level.

The collar looks wrong too, its right up the back of his head, its normally not as big and sits tight below his head.

im sure someone else will chime in, but i defo wouldnt buy it.

Id ask for a full section of detailed pics before you buy it.

Andy
Good points. I too thought the collar looked wrong.

Reaction score

The more i look at it the more i see is wrong

if you look between his legs on the fist pic you can se a waffle on the inside of the cape too, the outside waffling is defo not VC jawa cross hatch.

Also the cape doesnt look big enough to be able to fold around and cover his front, the cape should be able to cross over and cover his legs and chest, it looks way too short.

its a fake

Reaction score
Reaction score

Thanks Bill. Just as I fired off an email to Jason, I checked my inbox, and got the following message from Tom Derby:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Hi Joe,

This looks like a repro from the pictures.

Thanks,

Tom

[/QUOTE]

If Tom says its repro, that's good enough for me

Reaction score

Bill_McBride said:
I think the only reason to use alternative lighting is to give the saber some depth so the details stand out in pictures. It is not something that would be used to verify the authenticity.
Thanks Bill, It's been mentioned elsewhere the blacklight being used as authentication I was just curious what the experts thought.
It is good for making the translucent version sabers glow, although I don't believe there was ever a translucent DT saber.

Reaction score

Jedi_Kydus said:
Thanks Bill, It's been mentioned elsewhere the blacklight being used as authentication I was just curious what the experts thought.
It is good for making the translucent version sabers glow, although I don't believe there was ever a translucent DT saber.
I think the blacklight tests are valid for other kinds, or stages of prototypes, but no one I know of uses it for DT sabers. Then again, I'm not sure anyone has done a comparison test either. It might be something worth checking into.

There is a prototype DT saber that is indeed translucent:

Prototype Darth Vader w. Translucent DT saber (write up)

Aside from the yellow coloring, my theory has always been that these were made translucent to allow the engineers, or vendors, to see how the sabers functioned. It's hard to see from a picture, but you can clearly see the inner telescoping section through the saber body under normal lighting.

Bill

Reaction score

Bill_McBride said:
I think the blacklight tests are valid for other kinds, or stages of prototypes, but no one I know of uses it for DT sabers. Then again, I'm not sure anyone has done a comparison test either. It might be something worth checking into.
Here is a comparison I did a year ago. The thread for additional reading can be found HERE.

Reaction score

Jedi534 said:
Here is a comparison I did a year ago. The thread for additional reading can be found HERE.
That might be something worth looking into. The main issues being the colors of the sabers, and that you need the piece in-hand to test it. (Vader just glows orange). Usually it doesn't even get that far - looking a pics can be difficult, but in person the standard DT sabers take all of about 5 seconds to spot a repro.

Bill

Reaction score

I know this might be covered in the orginal thread but what might one expect to pay for a loose DT figure (vader,luke,ben). And a loose vinyl cape jawa. I know it depends on condition etc. but in general.

Reaction score

Hi,

Does anyone have any opnions if this is real or not?

Thanks!

Reaction score

From the current pictures, the colour of the cape looks correct, and other tells all seem accurate. But the clincher is the capes texture which can only be seen with close-up photos or in hand. Halfway down this page, there are some sound bytes and an audio player revealing the sound you should be listening for to confirm the texture are correct.

Reaction score
Since this is for vc Jawa I thought I should post mine. (vc jawa is real, card is not but nice)

Reaction score

it is just the outer part that got sent to afa, the reason why it got no grade is because it is not a complete saber "no inner"
the cib just saying the outer saber is real ;)

there was a complete ben dt a few weeks ago on ebay as well that got the no grade sticker because it was glued back together
but the cib was saying the dt ben was real

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this is the right place. I was looking at someones collection, and saw this on one page. Is this a VC jawa? Its 3 inches tall, and this is not a person who deals in toys, just likes this one character (dont ask me why lol). This is just stuff he bought over the years. I know its a small image, but any insight would be appericated.

Reaction score
It is a VC Jawa, but the real key is being able to figure out if it's repro or genuine.

I don't think anyone can tell from the pictures provided though.