The Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Disc. Thread (x2)

Reaction score
Great idea Jason, good move!!! I would still like to see the general topic split as stickies however.

Bill

Reaction score
Finally picked me up a DT Luke worthy of my display for a great price! Question is, many of these DT figs seem to have a bent end. Are they a result of simple playwear, or are there carded examples around? Maybe the factory worker bent them as they were stuffed into the arm slot during a fast pace assembly?

Reaction score
What do you think this guy?

Discoloration? or?
I need your opinions.
This is a AFA 60, bubble is dent on the top that's why low grade.

Reaction score
WORLDWAR3 said:
What do you think this guy?

Discoloration? or?
I need your opinions.
This is a AFA 60, bubble is dent on the top that's why low grade.

Just discoloration

Reaction score
I can remember a tusken that was posted a few years back who's cape had also discoloured like that (also moc).
Thats the first VC jawa ive seen like it, how gutting would that be

Reaction score
I have a question. Has anyone tried to guess a ballpark figure of how many loose/carded vc jawas are in existence these days? I guess you could start by figuring the amount originally produced and the time its been for people to lose stuff etc..

Reaction score
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have been shafted again, this time with a fake vinyl cape jawa. The seller stated this was an original, the photos looked good and I even asked for confirmation on the authenticity.

Unfortunately this is what I received : Fake Vinyl Jawa Photos Note: when clicking the thumbnails you get the high-detail photo and they are huge!

I opened a PayPal claim since the seller keeps saying it is an original, even though it is clear this cape is a Ben cape that is (badly) manually cut (just check the arm holes).

Just to strengthen my case, do you concur this is a fake ?

Thanks,
Shoenix

Reaction score
I think it's a definite fake Martijn. Paypal should give you your money back.

Christian has a very nice one for sale if you're still looking. He's a great guy too.

It's here.

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation Emiel, I was quite sure, but this will help strengthen my case

I will take a look at your suggestion

Reaction score
Re: The Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Disc. Thread

Shoenix said:
Far too much, > 200$
Hope you can finally track a real one down Shoenix, if so far you have been burned by ebay sellers I think it might be an idea to deal with people on here.

Might not be the deal of the century but it will be the real deal, good luck

Reaction score
Not trying to rub salt into anyone's wounds, but you owe it to yourself to do research, and legwork.
Several people have contacted over the years in regards to DT sabers. My usual (and best) advice is come to an agreement with the seller to have the item authenticated prior to completing the transaction. If he/she won't stand behind the item, then it's not worth the time or risking the money.

Bill

Reaction score
You are right. But if the seller tells you it is real, you ask them specifically if they are sure and they say 'yes', they post different pictures than the actual item in their auction which look fine, what can you do ? Ofcourse it's still a risk, but PayPal claims they protect you when sellers are lying so the risk seems low.

In real life however, the protection seems not to be protection at all. You are supposed to do all the research and pay for it while PayPal claims they are 'investigating'. So that is how I got mislead.

Safe to say, I will only fall for this once and will never take this risk again.

True I had sort of the same issue with a DT saber Luke, but that went fine only because the seller did not respond to the mails from PayPal, this gave me a false impression that I was safe in this kind of transaction.

Anyhow, you are right. Save yourselves the hassle and don't buy any potential dubious items via eBay or any other auction site. PayPal does NOT protect you, so don't think you will be safe.

Lessons learned, the hard way.

Reaction score
Jedi534 said:
Maybe the factory worker bent them as they were stuffed into the arm slot during a fast pace assembly?
yep they got bend by the factory workers as far as I know.. for an easier handling - so they did not disapear in the outer saber..

Reaction score
Shoenix said:
You are right. But if the seller tells you it is real, you ask them specifically if they are sure and they say 'yes', they post different pictures than the actual item in their auction which look fine, what can you do ? Ofcourse it's still a risk, but PayPal claims they protect you when sellers are lying so the risk seems low.
My apologies, I didn't catch that in your OP. In this case, you have every right to be upset. I am shocked that Paypal isn't being more supportive. In the past they have shown so many ways for people to file a claim, it didn't make any sense.
I sold an item on ebay a few years ago, and the buyer was attempting a flat-out rip off. They filed a claim with PP *before* the item even arrived. (But after I had sent email confirmation the item had been sent of course.) I always use some sort of Delivery Confirmation, so I sent this info, along with scanned copies of my UPS documents.... case closed (or so I thought). After PP closed the case (in my favor) the buyer then tried to do a CC charge back, and I had to go through the whole process all over again. Only after I cited the delivery documents, and that the buyer was attempting CC fraud was the chargeback reversed. (of course my account was debited by PP for the duration)

I am sorry this has happened, and I hope for the best outcome. I would strongly recommend contacting Tom Derby at CIB for documentation at this point.

Bill

Reaction score
No prob Bill, you were still right, I took a risk (a calculated one, but still a risk). But maybe when this thing is over it's better to open another topic specifically on PayPal (if there is not one already
)

Cheers,
Martijn

Reaction score
Here is a new group photo I thought the DT fans here would enjoy:

Back Row:
First Shot Prototype w/ Double-Double Telescoping Saber
First Shot Prototype w/ Mushroom Tip Double Telescoping Saber

Middle Row:
Engineering Pilot w. Test Shot DT Saber (translucent)
Engineering Pilot w. Correct (production) color prototype DT saber "Circles" variant

Bottom Row:
Engineering Pilot w. prototype DT saber (low yield mold)
Unproduced First Shot (not a DT, but a cool piece
)
Engineering Pilot w/ final DT saber design

You can check out this new gallery addition and updates to my site here: www.sithtoys.com

Bill

Reaction score
congrats Bill - the mushroom tip one is a great addition to your run!! I love your DT Vaders - they are absolutely amazing and the best & coolest preproduction run of a fig I have seen*

the Unproduced First Shot does have 3PO limbs??!! -just took a look @ ur site, the 3POVader is truly a great pp fig - amazing find..

thanks for sharing
ben

*the 9 rocket bobas are totally amazing as well - but I am a DT freak so...

Reaction score
I have a VC Jawa that was sold to me as a repro but it's definately not a Ben cape, its the same shade as the Jawa, i assume there are repro Jawa capes available.

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the inner piece of a DT Ben saber? I saw one today for $75, guy claims its legit, but the inner piece did not have any kind of "fish tail" on the back end of it. It just kind of got wider at that end.

Also, will all DT Ben sabers have letters on the hilt? I forgot to check if it did or not.

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if this DT saber is authentic? Looks to be a bit short so maybe the tip got cut or broke off?

Thanks!

Reaction score
it has a "w" on the shaft and looks vintage old enough. Perhaps the tip broke off?

Reaction score
brianmac said:
Hi,
I was wondering if this DT saber is authentic? Looks to be a bit short so maybe the tip got cut or broke off?
Thanks!

The outer saber looks fine, however the lettering (or lack of) is not a point of authentication. The inner saber looks a little off to me. The colors should match a little closer, and the length is an issue, possibly broken off tip and the larger end as well.

Bill

Reaction score
Bill_McBride said:
brianmac said:
Hi,
Thanks!

The outer saber looks fine, however the lettering (or lack of) is not a point of authentication. The inner saber looks a little off to me. The colors should match a little closer, and the length is an issue, possibly broken off tip and the larger end as well.

Bill
So I understand that lack of lettering doesn't mean it's not authentic but if it has a letter isn't this a guarantee that at least the hilt(tube part) is authentic?

Up until the guy who is drilling out custom DT sabers recently, has there ever been a repro DT with a lettered hilt?

Reaction score
Jedi_Kydus said:
So I understand that lack of lettering doesn't mean it's not authentic but if it has a letter isn't this a guarantee that at least the hilt(tube part) is authentic?
No - The short answer is that authentic examples exist with and without lettering.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Up until the guy who is drilling out custom DT sabers recently, has there ever been a repro DT with a lettered hilt?

[/QUOTE]

There are a few repro/fakes that have used lettering. There are so many other points to look at when looking at a saber, the lettering (or lack of) doesn't really even come to mind. Once you have seen the real thing, and spent some time studying them, you can spot a repro. a mile away.

The bottom line with hilt lettering is that no one has put together a comprehensive list of what,when,where or how they were used. Even with the standard sabers, I am not aware of anyone who has complied a definitive list.

Bill

Reaction score
Can anyway suggest the fair market value of a VC Jawa with a slight tear under the armpit in the cape, say 1mm, does it effect the price much?

Reaction score
@ Adam Burges:

I just sold one on eBay that was AFA graded and authenticated. It only graded 70 because of the slight tear in the cape (which was probably a bit more than what you are describing. Anyways, it sold for $400 in about 1/2 a day after I listed. Hope that helps as a ball-park for value. I don't think the fact that it was graded by AFA (at 70) put any sort of "premium" on it, other than the piece of mind of the buyer that it was real.

Reaction score
very nice, good find.

I'm interested in getting an actual DT Luke/Ben/Vader, but does anyone know where to acquire replica DT sabers? I have every vint fig plus a few variations, but I'm not hung up on having all the accessories/weapons be vintage. For me it's enough to have the fig in decent condition so it will display nicely for dioramas.

Reaction score
Dr_Ball_MD said:
Does anyone know what happened to the site that does replica DT sabres

http://www.dtsabers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/welcome.htm

Email & Paypal links are invalid now
I was wondering the same thing. I'm just getting back into vintage and I've ALWAYS wanted a DT saber Luke, but I'm not ready to pay the higher prices for a clean one. The Vader and Ben would be a bonus. This would have been a PERFECT alternative.

Anyone know what happened to these guys?

Reaction score
From what I recollect, they sold the molds and remaining stock to someone else. They still pop up now and again.

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the input. I'd LOVE to buy a set. Where is the best place to look?

Reaction score
from what ive heard revalveit sold to batsontoys, im not sure whats happened since but im looking a repro dt vader to fill a gap
dave