The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
So, anyone who’s been a Star Wars figure collector for five minutes knows that there’s a 99.9% chance the “Droids” figures are repaints. So it’s gotta be Threepio, Artoo, and Fett. If they’re other droids, they’re still repaints. Right?

There’s VERY little chance we get a new sculpt.

bac

Reaction score
I think there's zero chance of getting a new sculpt based on what we've seen from the LFL 50th figures thus far. A Leia head? Sure. But not Droids cartoon stuff.

The Bo-Katan wave gobbled up all the new sculpt budget for this holiday season. And rightfully so!

Reaction score
So, anyone who’s been a Star Wars figure collector for five minutes knows that there’s a 99.9% chance the “Droids” figures are repaints. So it’s gotta be Threepio, Artoo, and Fett. If they’re other droids, they’re still repaints. Right?

Exactly. In fact, I'd say it's a 100% certainty that they're going to be repaints.

Reaction score

Imagine this DROIDS schlock is new sculpts but The Emperor is a 10 year old figure with some new parts? Heads would explode around here.

Reaction score
Did someone suggest these potential Droids figures would be anything other than repaints? I'm surprised it's even being discussed.

I mean, I only wish we were getting all new TVC versions of Thall Joben, Jord Dusat, and Uncle Gundy, but I know we don't live in that reality.

Reaction score
Did someone suggest these potential Droids figures would be anything other than repaints? I'm surprised it's even being discussed.

I mean, I only wish we were getting all new TVC versions of Thall Joben, Jord Dusat, and Uncle Gundy, but I know we don't live in that reality.
Repaints all the way. Maybe on Droids cards though....that's what would seal the deal.

bac

Reaction score
Repaints all the way. Maybe on Droids cards though....that's what would seal the deal.

Maybe. They are at Target and not Walmart, after all, so it's uncharted waters for TVC 2.0.

BUT Jayson found them as TVC listings. I lean more toward TVC cards, with VC numbers, and a big Droids logo. Which is hard to imagine looking good.

Maybe they'll be a hybrid card that looks like the old Droids card but has TVC branding somewhere and the VC number on back.

Reaction score
LOL Lets not be dramatic here. That couldn't be further from the facts.

Everyone loves to point to Rotten Tomatoes as "Hey look, TLJ split the fandom and ruined the saga", and yet if you sort by both Audience and Critic score, the Sequels still outperform the Prequels easily.

The entire ST is 2/3 well received movies based on both critics and audience/fan score. Which 2/3 that are preferred depends on the type of fan. But generally TFA is HUGELY successful both commercially AND critically. Compared to 1/3 for the prequels.

And that general assessment doesn't change for most audience score driven review sites. The Sequels always out perform the Prequels. And in many cases, even climbing into OT territory and outdoing ROTJ. Just because a loud group of fans hate the sequels doesn't change how terrible most people think the prequels are.

And Rotten Tomatoes isn't even the largest review site. IMDB is actually the largest user driven review site, and even while people were screaming about everyone hating TLJ because of RT, it was still doing good on IMDB (and most others).

ST outdoing ROTJ? Not a chance...grumpy people need to forget about the Ewoks and focus on how it was a perfect 3rd chapter to (at the time) end the franchise. ROTJ is probably underrated by a lot of fans for various reasons. I think it's some of Hamill's best acting too.

Reaction score
That last capital "S" is italicized, verified by inspecting the page code. So it's DROIDS.

Upon further thought, three easy repaints for a Droids homage LFL 50th wave at Target:

Boba Fett, instant sellout
R2
C3PO

View attachment 401214

View attachment 401215

I really think this is possible - I saw a friend on Instagram mention this and in the LFL 50 timeline it lists DROIDS there to be celebrated - this could be that opportunity. I just hope to God that they don't use the stupid undersized C-3PO if they do this and give us the BAD version instead.

Reaction score
droids....hmmm..... what if 2/3 are finally Aphra's 2 droids, you know, the 2 from the 3 pack that hadn't yet been rereleased...0-0-0 and BT-1--- no-one thought of these 2? Oh, and maybe the 3rd...Merrick's droid

then again, if R2 and 3po (B.A.D) could be dagobah (using the art from the 6" ESB 40th card) and removable limbs card art respectively...maybe 8d8 (retooled head from BG-J38), heck BG-j38 directly, Fx-7 from former target 3 packs,......:poop:, they could be anything🤪

Last edited:
Reaction score
Debates about the merit of Star Wars trilogies were interesting conversations to me...in 2001. I learned a long time ago to read other people's opinions of the films and say "hey great. They don't matter in the least to my opinion of the films."

I absolutely love the prequels and always have from the day each of them were released. My favorite time of Star Wars fandom (and collecting) was late 2002- late 2005, the lead up to Revenge of the Sith. To me, that specific time period was as magical as the original trilogy years.

My opinion of any of the films or shows need no validation from anyone else. What I get out of them is unique to me, and that's how I will always consume this franchise, which, for me, (especially Ep. 1-6) stands as the greatest story ever told.

I am coming to a point of acceptance of the Sequel Trilogy. For me, it's a classic case of just accepting the films' weaknesses and just unabashedly enjoying the characters, action and lore. For me, it's a complete waste of energy to nitpick and criticize the ST. I don't let the parts that annoy me affect the parts I enjoy.

Having said that, there are a number of Sequel Trilogy characters I would happily purchase in TVC. I'll predict that the unveiling of a Force FX Rey yellow lightsaber could hint at a Rey Skywalker TVC figure with a yellow lightsaber. She seems to be the most universally loved character from the trilogy, and I think Hasbro would sell quite a lot of her even if she's relatively unchanged from her 2019 release, other than having the new, coveted yellow lightsaber. Rey with that saber is the signature closing image of the Skywalker Saga and it makes all the sense in the world to have that figure made.

Reaction score
My picks for rumoured wave 4:

Beskar Armoured Mando
Darktrooper
Bo Katan
Cobb Vanth
Boba Fett (unarmoured)
Mayfield
Jedi Luke

honourable mentions:

Tuskin Raider
The armourer
Ashoka Tano

Reaction score
Based on the last few years - The codenames have nothing to do with what the figures are, they’re just random words to be placeholders, so not worth the time trying to find connections based on Purple.

Given the LFL Clone Wars micro series wave, and the fact that Droids (the show) is on the timeline, the 3 could well be repaints of Fett, 3PO and R2, most likely on TVC cards (and then the 6” equivalent will be on reproductions of the Droids cards, like what they’ve done with TPM, POTF2, and upcoming CW). I MUCH prefer repaints like this over repaints like carbonised.

I had hoped that Periwinkle would turn out to be a 332nd trooper to go along with Maul and Ahsoka, guess we’ll be waiting a bit longer for him!

Retro isn’t really my thing, but great for those that have been collecting it. I just hope that whatever characters they pick will also come out in TVC and we won’t have to wait too long for them (the wait between Retro Kuiil and TVC Kuiil has been particularly long).

Reaction score
Jedi Luke and Sand people are the only 2 I'd be excited about as long as they we're reissues. That would be a good way to appease fans like me as we await the 40th anniversary of ROTJ.

Reaction score

Another option could be a repainted BL-17 (Boba Fett's droid from the animated series), especially considering it wasn't done in the right colors when initially released. If anything from the Droids series makes it into TVC or Retro, that would be nice recognition for the show. I'd personally prefer Retro coverage, and something like Vlix, but repaints might turn out alright. I'd love it if all classic content were covered in some form, especially the Ewok movies, which have been mostly left out of the nostalgia merchandising boom.

Reaction score
It thickens even more---does that mean that they aren't TVC Droids figures from the cartoon, or that they aren't droids, period?

bac

Reaction score
I took it to mean they aren't from the Droids cartoon and will continue to hold out the slim hope that these are Book of Boba Fett figures as Hasbro's answer to being more timely with media without waiting for slots in the main line to free up.

I would be quite content if this was literally droids from across the saga, especially since a lot of the 2005-2010 ones command premium prices.

We shall see.

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
Way to step up, Target. Based on that I'd have to think we're looking at another LFL 50th homage. Pick your entertainment source for repaints. Ewoks, perhaps. Though I'd love to see Rogue One or Solo sneak in here.

Reaction score
It means that the purple tinted codenames are not droids Series Figures, but the three new code names that I did find are.
A regular Sherlock homes we have over here..;)
Thanks Jayson! :) Speculating is half the fun. does this mean that dropped hint does not apply?

Reaction score
BTW Dorkside shipped my Ashoka wave case today.
so I have an extra Ashoka with slight corner damage, and Darth Maul @ cost plus shipping if anyone wants them.

bac

Reaction score
Speculating + all the sequel trilogy chatter of late = TFA Target LFL 50th wave of repacks.

1. Finn with Photo Real and lightsaber OR Finn as Stormtrooper with Photo Real.
2. Executioner Stormtrooper
3. Kylo Ren (unmasked with new Photo Real head).

I wish Hasbro would retool the FO Stormtrooper's elbows so they had more range of motion with weapon yielding, but alas that's a long shot.

Reaction score
Wait, so Target is getting six exclusive TVC figures now?

giphy.gif

bac

Reaction score
^ Apparently yes, and it looks like it's an expansion of the LFL 50th.

Reaction score
GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY
I hope they have preorders for them otherwise it will be bedlam.

Reaction score
If the reissues aren't Crait Luke or one of the Imperial Hovertank Pilots - all of which go for obscene prices on the secondary market - I'm not interested.

Reaction score
^ Apparently yes, and it looks like it's an expansion of the LFL 50th.

Hmm....wonder if that means they'll be OG96 figures. TBH, I can't think of many more older figures that could be repacked without minor tweaks, and be accepted by collectors. That list is pretty short. Ugnaught, Zuckuss, FX-7, Malakili, and maybe Bossk? Anything else would either need some newly tooled parts (like a plastic vest for Greedo, a new head for the Bespin Guard, etc.) or a completely new sculpt.

Reaction score
I’m definitely interested in Boba Fett in any and all colors, especially if they take advantage of the excellent new sculpt from earlier this year.

Probably also interested in repaints of Artoo and Threepio, but only if they’re really eye-catching. I’ll have to see them first.

Reaction score
I don't know when these will be hitting the market, but if any of them are related to Book of Fett then I would think we wouldn't hear anything about them until end of December when the show ends due to spoilers. Same way ML have been handling their figures for D+ shows.

Another option could be a repainted BL-17 (Boba Fett's droid from the animated series), especially considering it wasn't done in the right colors when initially released. If anything from the Droids series makes it into TVC or Retro, that would be nice recognition for the show. I'd personally prefer Retro coverage, and something like Vlix, but repaints might turn out alright. I'd love it if all classic content were covered in some form, especially the Ewok movies, which have been mostly left out of the nostalgia merchandising boom.
I proposed that a while back when the Droids timeline first popped up because of the sculpt already existing, yet I feel since it's a TLC mold they may no longer have it per the lost rumor. Plus I feel Hasbro is more into doing the mains as opposed to an obscure BL-17 that was only seen a couple times, because no matter what color you paint Boba Fett R2 & 3PO people will always buy them as they're immediately recognizable. As much as I would probably buy that Droid again I don't see it happening.

Heck, who's to say which R2 sculpt they'll go with even, I hope it's not the one with opening panel on front. Personal preference would be BAD for both R2 and 3PO.

Edit: After just learning these will be $16 I can't say that I'm all that interested now, will depend greatly on how good they look and what mold is used for the Droids. Cheap repaint should never bee more than a basic figure release IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have no interest in these Droids homages if they are the currently used molds for TVC 3PO and R2, just not interested in those version no matter what colors they splash on them. That C-3PO is so bad, I'm glad I only paid a few bucks for it at Ollie's. The Fett could maybe sway me, but thankfully it will sell out so fast online and in stores I'll never really be in a position to be tempted.

Reaction score
Yeah.... figures from a 30 year old cartoon... unless they are in realistic style and fit in with the current figures it's an easy pass for me. No more Crayola figures or 5POA figures or other offshoots needed here.

Reaction score
really depends what they look like, and if boba is significantly different than the one we already got.

Reaction score
I would like to get the Purge Trooper and the Gaming Greats Scout trooper if available

Some folks here have suggested that, under Hasbro's current figure selection paradigm, the Cantina Band Member would need to be a pack-in figure in order to find its way into the Vintage Collection, as he wouldn't otherwise be able to sell through sufficiently. But you're right - if Hasbro includes all (or at least most of) the band instruments, Figrin D'an becomes a sort of army builder for folks like myself who want the full band. Now, how many are needed for the full (as seen on screen) band again? 5? 6?

I missed the Teekl that they had in the Disney packs years ago. Still want him.