The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

bac

Reaction score
Black series only collectors got a taste of what it's been like to be a TVC fan. That Mudhorn Mando set is a cheap shot.
I like that set's concept and have wanted it in TVC for a while. It would have been better as a partial new-sculpt with actual damaged armor and not a straight repaint.

Reaction score
That's because they do all have holsters?
Many (or perhaps all?) Endor Stormtroopers are holster-less,
while Cloud City Stormtroopers wear the holster on their right hip instead of their left.
But as for the Stormtroopers in A New Hope, I'm pretty sure all of them wear the holster and, for all of them, it's on their left hip.

Yeah...so I will just shut up about Stormtrooper decor and buy a couple of the troop builder sets regardless 🤣

Reaction score
It's the one thing Hasbro did right in this presentation. Army building with 4 of the same trooper. Now they need to go through the ranks and do the same for Scout Troopers, Snowtroopers, Scarif Troopers, Galactic Marines, Clone Troopers, etc... and extend into Rebel Techs, Endor Rebels, Rebel Pilots, and just keep it going.
At last! Troops in a box - Hasbro do listen. (y)

Reaction score
It's cool to see the troop builder set. They've been doing that same thing in the Marvel Legends line for a while now. I'm glad to see it carry over to SW. It would be great to see swappable heads, pauldrons, and other accessories as they add more troops.

bac

Reaction score
My mind is racing with Trooper Builder box ideas; from the obvious to the obscure. Would be a great way to complete the Praetorian Guards, for example, though that one is more risky given there is a cap on the number seen on-screen.

What a great reveal to generate excitement.

Reaction score
My mind is racing with Trooper Builder box ideas; from the obvious to the obscure. Would be a great way to complete the Praetorian Guards, for example, though that one is more risky given there is a cap on the number seen on-screen.

They should do a Knights of Ren pack, and finally finish them.

Reaction score

Personally I wish that this type of stuff remained in Retro thread, I do not see it as a TVC product.

Bib and Lobot look nice, Bib more so IMO. Nice to finally see a Death Watch even if it is from TCW, or any Mando figure other than Din! Hope to see more and specifically from The Mandalorian. Also nice to see Cantina Band Member reveal, been wanting new Bith for ages!

As for Yoda I wonder which sculpt it will be, the Cave of Evil figure or that old ESB hunk of junk? Since I already have him it's a pass anyways but still makes me curious of their choices. I mean do they really need to reissue the 501st? Why not include two helmets, one regular and one that represents Ahsoka's Legion? Then again this sounds like a perfect place to put the trooper 4-pks to good use, one of each battalion. Granted I doubt they have the facilities/resources to pump out several sets at a time, so it will be slow going I imagine starting with the Stormie set one year and another the next. But IMO the possibilities are endless.

Pass on all those Carbonite repaints.

Reaction score
I like that set's concept and have wanted it in TVC for a while. It would have been better as a partial new-sculpt with actual damaged armor and not a straight repaint.
It should have had the damage, that's the point, maybe removable chest plate. Without the Mudhorn it seems kind of half a set.

bac

Reaction score
It should have had the damage, that's the point, maybe removable chest plate. Without the Mudhorn it seems kind of half a set.

True, the set makes more sense for TVC where a Mudhorn is part of "world building" and more feasible to release.

Reaction score
That's because they do all have holsters?
Many (or perhaps all?) Endor Stormtroopers are holster-less,
while Cloud City Stormtroopers wear the holster on their right hip instead of their left.
But as for the Stormtroopers in A New Hope, I'm pretty sure all of them wear the holster and, for all of them, it's on their left hip.
This guy at 1:58 on the left doesn't and if you slow it down, you'll see a few others don't.

What would have to happen to get hasbro to do a tantive rebel trooper set with 4 different heads?

bac

Reaction score
What would have to happen to get hasbro to do a tantive rebel trooper set with 4 different heads?

This is one of the ideas that flashed into my thoughts and part of a larger question. For human troops, is Hasbro willing to sculpt new heads for these packs. The possibilities greatly expand if the answer is YES. And maybe the lower hanging fruit armored troops selling out would help fund human troops down the road.

I'd love a single-carded Rebel Scarif Trooper, followed by a Trooper 4-pack. WANT WANT WANT.

Reaction score
I think the Troop builder multipack concept has some real promise. Back in 2002 - 2004 when Hasbro did this they were only offering those 4-packs in white mailer boxes. This newly designed package with the squad leader and additional weapons improve on the original idea.

Other troops that might work in this way?
Phase 1 Clone Troopers - 1 x Clone Sergeant and 3 x Clone Troopers
Phase 2 Clone Troopers - A great idea, but then what Clone unit? Because they're all so distinct from one another
Shoretroopers - 3 x Shoretroopers, and this is a good excuse to make a TVC version of the Shoretrooper Squad Leader

bac

Reaction score
The Stormtrooper 4-pack SRP is $41.99 with 4 figures and 6 accessories, so if Pulse sells it at the SRP you're getting them cheaper than MOC.

The bad news: per the press release snippets, the Lando wave release date is now Spring 2022, as is the Bo-Katan wave. Let's see what EE and Dorkside show when they go up tomorrow.

Reaction score
Finally, a troop-builder Pulse pack! And a little more than $10 per figure makes sense as a price point...I hope they can consistently keep these in stock.

Want to second the thanks to @Etain for doing work during the streams to keep these threads updated with news and photos. It's much apprecaited!

Reaction score
The price is odd considering we had to pay $64 for 4 Clones from Bad Batch that are essentially just repaints....

I don't foresee them doing a set that require separate paint apps for each fig, such as combining 212th, 501st, etc. all together because it causes issues on the assembly line, it's all about uniformity at that stage so all figures should remain the same for each set. Adding a pauldron to one trooper is simple thing to accomplish at the end stage. So I would expect that if they did do certain Clone battalions it would be all four of the same color scheme with one possibly being the Commander, hence three 327th trooper with Bly. Or three 501st troopers with Appo etc.

That said there are precedents like Delta Squad who were all different colors, so who knows where the possibilities could lead with these.

As much as this would be cool, it's no cost effective due to either tooling up 3 new heads to fit or locating ones that exists to fit. Which the latter would be more difficult process. It's not something they would waste the time or resources doing, not when it's far easier for a consumer to make their own head swap at their own expense.

Reaction score

I might add that I love the concept as well AND the packaging on the box...

Reaction score
Troop builder packs carry a lot of potential for Sequel Trilogy fans (yes, they're out there)

The Sith Royal Guards on Exegol. Remaining Knights of Ren. Various First Order Stormtroopers. Praetorian Guards. Tons of possibilities there.

The best idea I've seen in this thread is packing a Clone Commander with three of his unit's troops. Bly with three 327th troops. Bly could use an upgrade. Gree with three 41st Legion troops? Or, specifically from the Clone Wars show, Commander Fox with three Shocktroopers. I'd buy every single one without hesitation.

Anyone remember the Snowtrooper Captain from the 3.75 inch Black Series line.? Get him back out there with three Snowtroopers. They'd sell out.

The troop builder concept is not a new one, but still was the strongest reveal by Hasbro at today's live stream.

bac

Reaction score
I get the impression a figure will need to have been previously released, at least in its base form, before showing up in a Troop Builder pack. To start anyway.

Something like 3x Snowtrooper and a Commander wouldn't be ready for release. That's a perfect, easy set, but I think we'll need to see the main line ESB Snowtrooper on card appear as part of the OG 96 before it becomes a reality.

Tie Fighter Pilot is different. He's already appeared in 1.0 and 2.0 so he's ripe for a 4-pack, despite being low on my priority list.

Same with Death Star Commander/Imperial Navy Trooper. He's already been released so 3 Black Ones and a Grey one would make for a fantastic set. I'd be all over this.

The lowest hanging fruit are clones and their numerous paint color schemes. I'll be surprised if the second troop builder box isn't four clones.

Reaction score
I get the impression a figure will need to have been previously released, at least in its base form, before showing up in a Troop Builder pack. To start anyway.

Something like 3x Snowtrooper and a Commander wouldn't be ready for release. That's a perfect, easy set, but I think we'll need to see the main line ESB Snowtrooper on card appear as part of the OG 96 before it becomes a reality.

Tie Fighter Pilot is different. He's already appeared in 1.0 and 2.0 so he's ripe for a 4-pack, despite being low on my priority list.

Same with Death Star Commander/Imperial Navy Trooper. He's already been released so 3 Black Ones and a Grey one would make for a fantastic set. I'd be all over this.

The lowest hanging fruit are clones and their numerous paint color schemes. I'll be surprised if the second troop builder box isn't four clones.
Exactly. People need to temper their expectations a little bit. This set is literally four identical figures, some guns, and a removable pauldron. There aren't even any paint variations. But already I'm seeing things like "Knights of Ren!" Which would basically have to be at least three all-new, or mostly new, sculpts. I'm not saying that's totally impossible somewhere down the road, but based on what this set actually IS, that's people getting WAY ahead of themselves.

Reaction score
Exactly. People need to temper their expectations a little bit. This set is literally four identical figures, some guns, and a removable pauldron. There aren't even any paint variations. But already I'm seeing things like "Knights of Ren!" Which would basically have to be at least three all-new, or mostly new, sculpts. I'm not saying that's totally impossible somewhere down the road, but based on what this set actually IS, that's people getting WAY ahead of themselves.

I hate that this is true...but it's true.

I do wonder if they could do Rebel troops with four different heads if they just re-use/re-paint heads they already have molded. Take the fleet trooper, the Hoth rebel trooper, the Echo Base trooper, and the Republic Trooper and just use those for various 4-pack trooper packs. It does up the cost a little, but not as much as molding three new heads.

Reaction score
Not the biggest fan of the RO stormtrooper figure, but will buy one set to support the product, and stick in the troop transport (where those unsightly flared ankles are well hidden, lol).

Reaction score
I hate that this is true...but it's true.

I do wonder if they could do Rebel troops with four different heads if they just re-use/re-paint heads they already have molded. Take the fleet trooper, the Hoth rebel trooper, the Echo Base trooper, and the Republic Trooper and just use those for various 4-pack trooper packs. It does up the cost a little, but not as much as molding three new heads.
Don't get me wrong, there are obviously tons of possibilities if Hasbro is going to go the troop-builder-four-pack route. Including ones that would likely be relatively cheap. It just remains to be seen how far Hasbro is willing to go in terms of repaints, head-swaps etc. Right now, they've barely dipped their toe in this pool so, we'll see.

bac

Reaction score
The proof should be the pudding. If the first several troop builder boxes that we expect to be as straightforward as the first sell well, Hasbro may be inclined to sweeten the pot down the road if they feel returns will justify the added expense.

Reaction score
I am getting so sick of these prototype figures. It's nice there is "new" retro product, I just wish it was something actually new or atleast not in prototype colors. I wouldn't mind buying more retro Stormtroopers or some affordable Remnant Stormtroopers.

Reaction score
That was a great tvc show. I had no intention of getting the single carded palpy. But now I'm wondering if I need that alternative head. The TBS one is already perfect. Do I need another one just for a head?

Bib looks PERFECT. Could not have done better on that.

Lobot looks great too. I'm not sure if I'll get that one, there's a TBS one coming eventually and the old 3.75 one does a fine job at being Lobot lol. But who am I kidding I'll probably get that one too.

Good stuff.

I'm actually excited for the muddy Mando. I can see them doing a mud horn in 6 inch eventually. But at the same time, I'm starting to have more Mando figures than Luke's lol.

Meh on all the carbonized/credit collection stuff.

Boo on the Crest delay. But not surprised given the state of the world.

Not sure if I need more Stormtroopers LOL. But its a great idea.

bac

Reaction score
One figure scares me regarding the Troop Builder boxes: the TVC Battle Droid. That horrible, low-articulation, stubby-necked rubbery unstable junk just won't seem to go away.

Please, Hasbro, do not make a four-pack from that mold and plastic consistency. As the main prequel enemy trooper it deserves much, much better.

Reaction score
Knights of Ren 4-pk is not happening, this troop builder remise is not about finding an avenue to release all new sculpts of unmade figures. So in this sense is where I see a figure needing to show up on TVC card first before being released in a multipack. I also see it as less likely due to the low interest in ST media. Personally I'd rather see twenty other figures getting made before these guys, I find them to be totally useless and uninteresting.

About the only one that could be done is the Praetorian Guards because it's a simple helmet swap between four figures, so costs would be minimal compares to tooling needed for a whole figure. So that I could possibly see them doing once they get enough blank trooper sets sold.

I'm really hoping Hunter from Bad Batch is released next year that way it opens the door for all white Clone Commando 4-pk in the near future rather than much later!

I don't see why it would need to be on TVC card before released in a box set. There's nothing saying they could do the 4-pk first then release it a couple years later to cover an OG92 slot.

But yes I agree that we need to temper our expectations because we're getting way ahead of ourselves. lol Because I suspect that all we'll see are basic trooper repeats.

Reaction score
This ship always reminded me of the one that descends on Jakku just as TFA begins.

Yup, it's meant to. The Mandalorian is supposed to connect to the Sequel era.

So we see Imperial Drop ships being used leading to the First Order Design.

The cloning tanks that look reminiscent of Snoke.

Force healing (that episode aired literally right before TROS came out)

There's a little girl with Reys hairstyle

Etc etc

Lots of big and small connections

Reaction score
Hmm. There was some great stuff announced here, and some nice visuals on the stuff we already knew about. But overall it’s a bit of a snoozer for me. Sorry! 😶