The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
TBH, TVC is pure nostalgia period. IMHO it's one of the most boring designs ever done, it's just there and stands out in no way. It only means something to those few who love it for pure nostalgic reasons this why it appeals. And I get it for that reason because that's the look most people see when they think of Star Wars but it doesn't mean I blindly feel those cards are the best looking simply because of it.

Personally my all time favorite card design was 30th Anniversary line. And the fact that TBS can release their figures on varies cards like the recent TCW Obi-Wan wave as well as TPM prior to it as well as "Vintage" cards shows how it can change to fit the theme when needed. Meanwhile it seems that TVC is stuck in a rut in that regard. What's stopping them from doing the exact same thing for TVC as TBS when it comes to packaging changes and tailoring it to fit like the most recent Clone Wars wave? Even TVC Exclusives are on TVC cards instead of say a "Mandalorian" cardback, or even the Gaming Greats could be different.
I think the same applies to Retro as well, alongside TVC, they now represent the entire heritage scale. I feel nostalgia is the foundation for why most established collectors are in the hobby though. It makes sense for Hasbro to focus on it for those consumers, but I think they're overestimating the popularity of a cardback design in comparison to loyalty of scale. I feel most of us put scale before cardbacks, that's why the petition for more TVC figures might backfire slightly - they'll misread that as more content on these cards, including repacks, over what most truly desire - new sculpts. I know new sculpts were mentioned, but Hasbro reps had to backtrack statements and say more "characters" were coming to TVC, not necessarily new tooling. I'd much rather have a brand new sculpt on any new cardback over a repack in TVC...

Reaction score
Nice guess on Rancor Keeper! And Ugnaught too!

Forgive the cynicism, but you KNOW that Hasbro is racking their brains to figure out which 96ers they can repack. Who from ten or more years ago looks good enough to stick on card? When they suggested Revan, it went horribly wrong—not because he was old, but because he was outdated (two different things); many figures are in the same boat.

I’m thinking Legacy Rancor Keeper looks a lot like a TVC figure (holding his own at least up to about six months ago, when the stunning new Mando figures came out). He has the articulation and look to survive as a 2021 figure. Same (maybe) with Ugnaught.

But who else? Saga Momaw fails dreadfully to hit the mark; in many ways, it’s still a beautiful figure—but it almost was obsolete as a sculpt even by Legacy. It still displays well enough—but it’s embarrassing even for Hasbro to try to pass off a 15-year-old toy as new, especially with everyone praising TVC for its “space age” designs and uptown refusal to kitbash stuff (I don’t know where people are getting that notion 🥴).

Saga Lobot? Saga Bib? No way. They just can’t repack those. I still really like Saga Bib, but it won’t fly. Plus, they don’t need extended bubbles.

All I do know (and would bet my life on) is that these 96ers won’t be new sculpts. Sure, Hasbro might try to pretend they’re new sculpts by repainting a head or switching some bodies around like they are doing with the Walmart Paploo.

Who am I kidding? They just re-released one of the worst Han figures ever (under the excuse that it’s “another chance” to get him), so they’re capable of anything. But there’s little to nothing left for them to repack!

What a conundrum! There’s nothing for them to repack, and yet there’s no way in the Devil’s Hell that they will release a new sculpt. It’s an unstoppable force facing an immovable object! Something’s got to give! That’s a sport unto itself! 🤩

If they make new sculpts, then we all win! But if they release some old garbage and pretend we’re supposed to thank them, then it’s perhaps even more entertaining! I can’t wait!
Didn't stop those clowns from releasing that freaking Endor Han Solo - it's honestly a travesty. So many others are still deserving of having a simple rerelease on TVC card like Malakili and the Ugnaught, as you said. Easy repacks.

Reaction score
This is precisely WHY they shouldn't pack all figs on TVC cards. They should have had Mandalorian on seperate all new cardbacks. They could have tested the waters risk free.
I've been pushing for this for a while - I think TVC should be for OT only. I never even liked when they put Clone Wars figures on the cards, let alone the ST. PT could be POTF2 style cards, I mean the Maul card is still really cool to me.

I'm all about newer lines, especially the Mandalorian to have a separate line, along with any other new properties. I think Hasbro would also see just how good OT sells (as if they don't know already) and the Mandalorian too, helping encourage them to produce more of this content. If the ST had their own SKU and peg and packaging, my guess it would be store poison. I would venture to guess that most TVC collectors are the biggest OT fans, hence the attraction of the packaging and wanting the 96' to get finished.

Reaction score
I've been pushing for this for a while - I think TVC should be for OT only. I never even liked when they put Clone Wars figures on the cards, let alone the ST. PT could be POTF2 style cards, I mean the Maul card is still really cool to me.

I'm all about newer lines, especially the Mandalorian to have a separate line, along with any other new properties. I think Hasbro would also see just how good OT sells (as if they don't know already) and the Mandalorian too, helping encourage them to produce more of this content. If the ST had their own SKU and peg and packaging, my guess it would be store poison. I would venture to guess that most TVC collectors are the biggest OT fans, hence the attraction of the packaging and wanting the 96' to get finished.
This could also allow for market research analysts to figure out which properties are strongest. I kind of think everything mashed into tvc is a mistake.

Reaction score
This could also allow for market research analysts to figure out which properties are strongest. I kind of think everything mashed into tvc is a mistake.
Exactly - that was my major point for doing it, along with a great opportunity for a packaging refresh for all the unique lines to have their own to stand out.

Reaction score
I've been pushing for this for a while - I think TVC should be for OT only.
I disagree immensely.

I’d love if Mando had its’ own super articulated TVC-style 3.75” line, but I’d rather they just increase output for TVC as a whole and not bother splitting the line further.

Reaction score
I disagree immensely.

I’d love if Mando had its’ own super articulated TVC-style 3.75” line, but I’d rather they just increase output for TVC as a whole and not bother splitting the line further.
It's all about how you perceive it - it's not really splitting the line at all. 3.75" SA would still be 3.75" SA, it would just be represented more vastly and each property would be more easily identifiable. Think about parents and kids buying Star Wars figures. Let's say they watch the Bad Batch or whatever is coming up. Why should those figures be in TVC? TVC represents retro modernized action figures and was invented to be mirrors to the original Kenner OT figures. The rest that have come have never really "fit" TVC at all if you ask me. If you put Baby Yoda and Mando on a card, then the Mandalorian line becomes so much more attractive of a shelf and easier to find for ALL buyers. It's not as if the Mando TVC figures look bad, but to me, they don't stand out as being part of the that show.

Reaction score
The problem with multiple assortments is that retail and some online stores may not carry all of them. If you have one for OT, Mando, BB, Kenobi, etc it could easily overwhelm retailers trying to plan out peg space. TVC leans heavily to Mando & OT right now, but its really a universal line. If / when things change, we'll likely see an assortment that is universal as well. A diverse character assortment from all media allows the most consumers to be engaged, because in the same line you can find a background alien from the 80s or a modern cartoon character and they aren't competing. I do think Hasbro can design cardback art differently and still include variety in a case assortment. Super 7 uses a universal retro shape and then designs cardbacks specifically for each property. I could see the same applied to SW - not another retro cardback, just the overall concept - it could utilize any design or shape, and the graphics for each series / movie would be different.

Reaction score
yea this packaging is not enticing nor eye catching at all. The 501st 3 pack in TVC and even Fives in the single TVC look very cool, eye catchy and makes it easier to brand as part of the SW world. Its nice they are doing retro packaging for that era and I am sure it connects with collectors but the universe is obviously smaller than the TVC collector universe.
Lol you are saying that these are not enticing or eye catching and using a 3 pack online exclusive that never sat on a store shelf as the measuring stick.

Got it.

Reaction score
I've touched on that aspect before but all I heard were comments that the line doesn't need to be divided, hence two lines because that didn't go so well for them before.
I do feel if other media had their own SKU's we'd have clearer data on which figure perform well. Granted Hasbro says that "they know" how each individual figure performs but I find that unrealistic because they can only track how many "they sell", not if each figure sells through at regular price or how long it takes to sell at the retail level.

Once Hasbro sells it it's essentially a wild west show on all the data generated at each retail outlet on how figure sales go. Plus if they knew the actual sales data of each figure why do they keep releasing retail poison? Case in point Ackbar is still available for $11 yet they reissuing him so why not got with another character and get to him later on? Also how many times as that Han pegwarmed each time it's been released? For all the data they claim to have it sure seems like keep reissuing the same exact figure that languish for months if not years.

All that said we shouldn't really have to need any media to be separate from TVC, they just need to find a way to get more non OT stuff out.

Reaction score
I think the same applies to Retro as well, alongside TVC, they now represent the entire heritage scale. I feel nostalgia is the foundation for why most established collectors are in the hobby though. It makes sense for Hasbro to focus on it for those consumers, but I think they're overestimating the popularity of a cardback design in comparison to loyalty of scale. I feel most of us put scale before cardbacks, that's why the petition for more TVC figures might backfire slightly - they'll misread that as more content on these cards, including repacks, over what most truly desire - new sculpts. I know new sculpts were mentioned, but Hasbro reps had to backtrack statements and say more "characters" were coming to TVC, not necessarily new tooling. I'd much rather have a brand new sculpt on any new cardback over a repack in TVC...
Yeah, the bummer thing is it’s always been easier for us to say (or type) TVC instead of SA3.75”, so the message we sent Hasbro was that it was the cards that were important. More so than what they put on them. Though there were enough people who said exactly that, as well.

Reaction score
Yeah, the bummer thing is it’s always been easier for us to say (or type) TVC instead of SA3.75”, so the message we sent Hasbro was that it was the cards that were important. More so than what they put on them. Though there were enough people who said exactly that, as well.
Its 50/50 with me. I didn't collect TVC until photoreal came to the line. So I am not backtracking to get those because a lot of them look flat out cheap. The perfect balance is a great figure on a great card. They are equally important to me.

Reaction score
Yep, but luckily they read forums across the web and know now, (after their Q&A sessions) that content is critical. Whether they act on that knowledge is another issue. For me, its all about those newly sculpted characters - the cardbacks (in the case of OT characters mostly), are a little bonus for our nostalgia. That being said, I'm all for a good retool / kitbash as well - figures like the Klatooinian Raider or Vedain are prime examples of excellent figures, using older assets. They have a huge catalog of parts, so I wish they'd utilize them to keep people more excited about the potential for world building. Older parts could even be used to bring us an ST, Mando, or CW character that requires minimal kitbashing, that would otherwise not be released in any form.

Reaction score
Yep, but luckily they read forums across the web and know now, (after their Q&A sessions) that content is critical. Whether they act on that knowledge is another issue. For me, its all about those newly sculpted characters - the cardbacks (in the case of OT characters mostly), are a little bonus for our nostalgia. That being said, I'm all for a good retool / kitbash as well - figures like the Klatooinian Raider or Vedain are prime examples of excellent figures, using older assets. They have a huge catalog of parts, so I wish they'd utilize them to keep people more excited about the potential for world building. Older parts could even be used to bring us an ST, Mando, or CW character that requires minimal kitbashing, that would otherwise not be released in any form.
I have to believe they do not read the forums at all. Because if they do, and they intentionally repack old, bad figures after so many of us explicitly request for them not to, then I have to believe they’re intentionally being insulting.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Didn't stop those clowns from releasing that freaking Endor Han Solo - it's honestly a travesty. So many others are still deserving of having a simple rerelease on TVC card like Malakili and the Ugnaught, as you said. Easy repacks.
But the way I look at it is this way: this Han Solo is a variant for my collection. I like having multiple Han Solos and part of the fun in action figure collecting are all these variations

Reaction score
But the way I look at it is this way: this Han Solo is a variant for my collection. I like having multiple Han Solos and part of the fun in action figure collecting are all these variations
Except that the actual way to look at it is that now Hasbro won’t bother updating a figure of a main character that really deserves it, especially since that figure isn’t that expensive on the secondary market if you really needed such a crap version for your collection. Might as well go all the way crap with it.

Reaction score
Except that the actual way to look at it is that now Hasbro won’t bother updating a figure of a main character that really deserves it, especially since that figure isn’t that expensive on the secondary market if you really needed such a crap version for your collection. Might as well go all the way crap with it.
I can sense the frustration in your comment. I dont blame you for the way you feel. There are many ways of looking at it. Maybe I am in the minority for viewing it as a variant. However, I am trying my best to stay positive and enjoy the line. I dont think we will ever get perfection from HAS but at least we have the TVC line back.

Reaction score
I get wanting/trying to stay positive, but at some point after the third, fourth or fifth time of same old **** where/when do you draw the line?
At some point this kind of attitude is simply being an enabler.

Not saying a person doesn't have the right to like that particular figure, but making excuses to justify it if even when you don't care for it that much yourself seems counterproductive to the cause. You're right Hasbro is going to do what's best for them but we also can't gain any ground if the fan base isn't unified.

We all know the reason why that particular sculpt was probably used, yet there were a couple others that could have been used instead that look better overall. Heck, I think I would have much preferred if they had used the Ehrenreich Solo sculpt and just swapped the head jacket and arms out.

Reaction score
I can sense the frustration in your comment. I dont blame you for the way you feel. There are many ways of looking at it. Maybe I am in the minority for viewing it as a variant. However, I am trying my best to stay positive and enjoy the line. I dont think we will ever get perfection from HAS but at least we have the TVC line back.
I can appreciate all that (and that you knew my comment wasn’t an attack on you), but it comes down to not looking at Hasbro/TVC in a vacuum. They’ve always been one of my favorite companies, and probably are still my favorite, and in the past five or so years they’ve really knocked it out of the park with so many of the brand new figures they’ve put out. Not even just Star Wars. I cherry pick a few of the 6” lines and I really feel those are some of the best figures of the characters I’ve ever owned. I truly feel that every brand new TVC sculpt since TLJ has been outstanding, too, so the frustration comes when Hasbro puts out these ten+ year old figures and goes “ ah well, hands are tied.” The frustration comes from reading comments like “these are fine” and “there’s no reason to update”. We know what they CAN do. I just want them to do more of it.

So now I had to stick with my custom Endor and Bespin Han, which uses the Alden Han body and look better than anything released by Hasbro so far, but they’re not “perfect”. I know Hasbro can make them perfect now and I would like them to do that.

Reaction score
I am sure Hasbro can do a lot and perhaps has some prototype ideas that they just have put on the back burner. I think most ideas are held back by either profit motive or management just isnt interested in executing because their focus is on some other project.

Reaction score
I can appreciate all that (and that you knew my comment wasn’t an attack on you), but it comes down to not looking at Hasbro/TVC in a vacuum. They’ve always been one of my favorite companies, and probably are still my favorite, and in the past five or so years they’ve really knocked it out of the park with so many of the brand new figures they’ve put out. Not even just Star Wars. I cherry pick a few of the 6” lines and I really feel those are some of the best figures of the characters I’ve ever owned. I truly feel that every brand new TVC sculpt since TLJ has been outstanding, too, so the frustration comes when Hasbro puts out these ten+ year old figures and goes “ ah well, hands are tied.” The frustration comes from reading comments like “these are fine” and “there’s no reason to update”. We know what they CAN do. I just want them to do more of it.

So now I had to stick with my custom Endor and Bespin Han, which uses the Alden Han body and look better than anything released by Hasbro so far, but they’re not “perfect”. I know Hasbro can make them perfect now and I would like them to do that.
I'm with you. They have used those Han Solo legs since the 2004 VOTC release and saying they are fine to release in 2021 is like saying it's ok to eat Mayonnaise after it's expired... it's fine.

This figure was back out in 2006, repainted and without trench coat in 2007 and 2008, and the trench reappeared in 2011 (on the Vintage Collection card... which was ok with most) and he lost it again in 2014, and surprise it was back in 2015. The most egregious use was probably when they used those scrawny legs without the belt for the Torture Rack Solo in 2007.
1619098541887.png
Actually, because that accessory was so awesome... the sculpt may have been less appealing in 2015 (which is the last time we've seen it until now) when it came in the Walmart exclusive black series boxes when people were just dying for anything Star Wars.

Any further questions about the frustration with this figure?

Reaction score
Well we all know that everyone likely just bought that figure for the accessory anyways, so I can understand using the cheapest figure possible. I don't begrudge them for that even though I despise the sculpt, what I despise is the continued use of it in today's modern sculpt era. It's especially frustrating to hear people willing to give this a pass yet not wanting older sculpts to be reused from Saga era or really anything prior to 2012 TVC for that matter. It makes no sense to me.

TLC packaging for TCW General Kenobi wave certainly hints that they are a lot more open to older media then they used to be, TBH I didn't think they would ever cover that series, at least not this soon. So yet again TBS gets access to long forgotten characters while TVC can barely get enough new characters addressed. Point being TBS seems more open to who get covered while TVC feels locked up to 90% OT characters with 80% for them being repacks.

Reaction score
Well we all know that everyone likely just bought that figure for the accessory anyways, so I can understand using the cheapest figure possible. I don't begrudge them for that even though I despise the sculpt, what I despise is the continued use of it in today's modern sculpt era. It's especially frustrating to hear people willing to give this a pass yet not wanting older sculpts to be reused from Saga era or really anything prior to 2012 TVC for that matter. It makes no sense to me.

TLC packaging for TCW General Kenobi wave certainly hints that they are a lot more open to older media then they used to be, TBH I didn't think they would ever cover that series, at least not this soon. So yet again TBS gets access to long forgotten characters while TVC can barely get enough new characters addressed. Point being TBS seems more open to who get covered while TVC feels locked up to 90% OT characters with 80% for them being repacks.
Sincerely, there are a ton of background characters and droids that Hasbro knocked out of the park over the last 10-15 years that could still hold up with a fresh coat of paint and face printing. Anything with elbow and knee swivels I’d avoid, but beyond that it’s all good. It’s really just main characters and troopers that need a good update, in my opinion of course. I was crossing my fingers for an all new Scout Trooper, but it is what it is. That sculpt is great, the articulation is just not there.

Reaction score
Those aliens from the tail end of OTC, Feltipern and Myo, would be great for TVC. Just need to update the arms for both. Same for Elis Helrot from TAC. There are probably several great figures that only need elbow updates to be acceptable.

Reaction score
I actually think the current breakdown between new media and classic is appropriate, it's about 2:1 in favor of new media. I've only been collecting OT figures and it seems I am skipping just about every other wave. I guess if you count the reissue waves, then the line is more evenly split.

Reaction score
I'm with you. They have used those Han Solo legs since the 2004 VOTC release and saying they are fine to release in 2021 is like saying it's ok to eat Mayonnaise after it's expired... it's fine.

This figure was back out in 2006, repainted and without trench coat in 2007 and 2008, and the trench reappeared in 2011 (on the Vintage Collection card... which was ok with most) and he lost it again in 2014, and surprise it was back in 2015. The most egregious use was probably when they used those scrawny legs without the belt for the Torture Rack Solo in 2007.
View attachment 384528
Actually, because that accessory was so awesome... the sculpt may have been less appealing in 2015 (which is the last time we've seen it until now) when it came in the Walmart exclusive black series boxes when people were just dying for anything Star Wars.

Any further questions about the frustration with this figure?
Mayonnaise is never ok to eat.

Reaction score
It was the grossest thing I could think of and I'm sure someone's died from eating it past expiration.
not to go off topic, but this reminded me of an old joke....what's grosser than gross? Finding a used _(fill in the blank)____ in the mayonnaise jar-( after you ate your sandwich)

anyway..yesterday saw a damaged tvc Mandalorian v1 at GS, left it there for someone else

Reaction score
Those aliens from the tail end of OTC, Feltipern and Myo, would be great for TVC. Just need to update the arms for both. Same for Elis Helrot from TAC. There are probably several great figures that only need elbow updates to be acceptable.
I absolutely loved those three back in the day, still do to be honest, though I don't think they would mesh well with today's sculpts. Not without some kind of new parts and would be cost prohibitive. Because of the way the arms are designed it would also require a new torso to accommodate them, and really at this point they should also get ankles which would cost even more Money. Not to mention those figures were made thicker so they would practically look like POTF figures next to the new stuff. I feel that Hasbro just isn't in to at this point. Those figures would likely only see a straight reissue or a 3-pk release, since they weren't part of the original 96 I don't see it happening.

At least they're are Aliens so their head sculpt have held up well. At one time I had thought Dannik Jerriko would have made a decent base for Admiral Screed but the flap is reversed. lol

Reaction score
Ok so was a recent Gamestop, nice inventory IMO. Mostly they had Black Series but they did have a TVC Mando, which was in pretty good shape. The girl told she gets regular SW customers who clean out her stores inventor of figures.

Man, I sure hope Gamestop increases their inventory of SW figures, I have had more success with them than anyone else when I visit a retail location.

Reaction score
I'd love to see some aliens in TVC, its seriously lacking in that department. I want new figures and new characters though, many of those older releases can be had on the secondary market for a reasonable price, so that's frankly where they should be sourced. Likewise, if they have a decently sculpted figure with modern articulation (around 9 POA), we should be happy they exist in the first place. Most of the 2 second characters (with an existing figure) don't really have a place in a lineup like this that is failing to even cover core heroes & villains from major movies. Hasbro cant rehash everything with so few slots in the assortment. Give us a new species from nearly any content, and I'll be much happier than seeing another do-over. Make this weirdo, he'd be an easy kitbash:

Reaction score
If you mean by none I agree, they play it overly safe. I honestly can't remember the last time a Droid was released in the basic assortment, aside for the Gonk which does nothing for me personally. But at least it's something for those who've wanted it for so long. I'm in desperate need for more Astro and Proto Droids!

I'm not counting K2 because I already had him in decent form from Force Link line, so I didn't think he was really needed that badly.

Reaction score
I'd love to see some aliens in TVC, its seriously lacking in that department. I want new figures and new characters though, many of those older releases can be had on the secondary market for a reasonable price, so that's frankly where they should be sourced. Likewise, if they have a decently sculpted figure with modern articulation (around 9 POA), we should be happy they exist in the first place. Most of the 2 second characters (with an existing figure) don't really have a place in a lineup like this that is failing to even cover core heroes & villains from major movies. Hasbro cant rehash everything with so few slots in the assortment. Give us a new species from nearly any content, and I'll be much happier than seeing another do-over. Make this weirdo, he'd be an easy kitbash:

Yes, aliens are sorely lacking. I’ve said it before, I just don’t remember in which thread, with sooooo many properties to make figures from now, multiple movies new and old, like a LOT of movies, plus now the live action shows, and a LOT of those, they barely scratch the surface when it comes to even doing the main characters, which are predominantly human, before they’ve moved on to the next show/movie. As a result aliens/droids and other background characters are really getting the shaft. At this rate it’s going to take decades to get all the stuff out they should have gotten done already!

On a side note, I made that fly guy for my diorama, tzvizzt I believe his name is? I ended up making a lot of cantina patrons and finished off both skiffs as well as a lot of Jabbas palace goons. I just got tired of looking at empty and incomplete skiffs and said screw it, I’ll just do it myself.

Reaction score
Since the re-launch of TVC until now (116 Rey to 189 Zutton), there have been *approximately*

-26 un-helmeted humans
-23 helmeted humans and/ or troopers
-11 aliens (though most were repaints or repacks)
-3 droids (2 were repaints or retools, the other was -K-2SO)
-6 Luke Skywalkers
-3 each of Han, Leia, and Rey
-3 Din Jarin (or 5 with Carbonized and Credit?)
-15 Sequel figures (about half repacks)
-10 Mandalorian figures (not counting the special repaint editions)

Out of 70-ish figures...

and this isn’t even counting all those reissue waves, which I’ve skipped entirely because either I already had the figure, or the new paint apps made it look worse and so I went ahead and bought the old one (TCW Anakin in my opinion)