The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
What is Hasbro doing if they aren't creating toys for kids? I realize that making money is their top priority, but they can't be making enough on niche collectibles that are only sold online. I agree that the packaging is holding back the 3.75" line. I also agree that kids aren't interested in 6" or 3.75" Star Wars at this point. How could they be?

Kids and parents enjoyed The Mandalorian and someone like me that actually does care can't find anything to buy (that's not online). We'll never see it the same way, but you have to admit that stores are still the way to sell toys to the majority of people.
Just the point, a packing refresh, would make many of us pack up and go home. WE are the bread and butter, the collectors. This line is aimed at us, and this packaging brings more people to the table. Is the Black series 3.75 ringing a bell? they tried to pivot and keep up with the joneses there and it was a disaster.

Reaction score
I can walk into either of the local Targets right and walk out with a cart full of Baby Yoda toys, a Mission Fleet set with The Mandalorian & Grogu and another set with IG-11 & Grogu.

If you really wanted Gideon, the Armorer, Greef etc they were all readily available on multiple sites for a fair enough amount of time that anyone that wanted one could have pre-ordered.
and have them cancelled...

Reaction score
Just the point, a packing refresh, would make many of us pack up and go home. WE are the bread and butter, the collectors. This line is aimed at us, and this packaging brings more people to the table. Is the Black series 3.75 ringing a bell? they tried to pivot and keep up with the joneses there and it was a disaster.
So if the packaging changed to something more eye catching etc with a better shelf appeal AND also gave them flexibility to release a wider range of vehicles, playset and multipacks you think the interest among collectors would dwindle?

The Black Series 3.75 was a disaster because it was a Walmart exclusive LINE. Not just figure...line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So if the packaging changed to something more eye catching etc with a better shelf appeal AND also gave them flexibility to release a wider range of vehicles, playset and multipacks you think the interest among collectors would dwindle?
Speaking for myself? as a carded and loose collector, I would for sure half my purchases. as someone with a rather large collection of carded figures, this would completely undermine how I display them. There are a fair amount of us that feel the packaging is half the fun.
Loose collectors probably shouldn't give a womprat's butt about the packaging, you toss it anyway.
If you think a packaging refresh will give you more figures....think again....it's the scale that is holding it back, NOT the packaging.

Reaction score
Speaking for myself? as a carded and loose collector, I would for sure half my purchases. as someone with a rather large collection of carded figures, this would completely undermine how I display them. There are a fair amount of us that feel the packaging is half the fun.
Loose collectors probably shouldn't give a womprat's butt about the packaging, you toss it anyway.
If you think a packaging refresh will give you more figures....think again....it's the scale that is holding it back, NOT the packaging.
I keep all the cardbacks but yes if the packaging changed I would not care... actually I'm totally vouching for it.

If I'm a toy buyer for Target and I get bi annual presentation from Hasbro on the upcoming product line and they show me package that is a blurry photo of Harrison Ford from 1983 wearing a camouflage jacket and standing there on a square flimsy cardback I'm not jumping up and down to place an order and fill my warehouse. Show me a bright colorful package that appeals to the eye and I'm more inclined to buy.

Reaction score
So I went to a local comic shop and they actually had some recent and older TVC. I picked up a MINT TVC K-260 which was very cool. It cost more than online but I was happy to pay up since I could find a figure I wanted without going to ebay.

Reaction score
Your lost purchases would be picked up by casual collectors, kids and parents who could actually find them in stores, though.

The scale argument is getting old, though. It’s a nonpoint considering people can’t find either line at retail. And not just Star Wars. Kids don’t want Mission Fleet, either, or it also wouldn’t be easy to find. Man, it’s like some of you guys forget what it’s like to be kids. I get that times are different and that kids “like video games more” these days, but they still buy toys. Hell, maybe it’s just the age I am, but I *also* had video games growing up in the 90’s and I still also loved action figures. The biggest difference is that it was way easier for us to actually find stuff we were interested in.

Reaction score
I keep all the cardbacks but yes if the packaging changed I would not care... actually I'm totally vouching for it.

If I'm a toy buyer for Target and I get bi annual presentation from Hasbro on the upcoming product line and they show me package that is a blurry photo of Harrison Ford from 1983 wearing a camouflage jacket and standing there on a square flimsy cardback I'm not jumping up and down to place an order and fill my warehouse. Show me a bright colorful package that appeals to the eye and I'm more inclined to buy.
This is precisely WHY they shouldn't pack all figs on TVC cards. They should have had Mandalorian on seperate all new cardbacks. They could have tested the waters risk free.

Reaction score
Your lost purchases would be picked up by casual collectors, kids and parents who could actually find them in stores, though.
Not likely. The price point and perceived value is why the line is what it is. I can get a 6 inch figure with better likeness, that's bigger and comes with better stuff for a few dollars more. Like it or not, parents and Kids are more likely to buy a back series over a TVC, and Mission Fleet over either. Packaging is among the bottom tier of reasons.

Star wars 3.75 racetrack packaging is as iconic as the brand itself, why do you think everyone always mimicked it? Show me another Star Wars line that has a more attractive package....

And with the sheer amount of product I buy, there would have to be a lot of new collectors to pick up that slack ;)

Reaction score
Not likely. The price point and perceived value is why the line is what it is. I can get a 6 inch figure with better likeness, that's bigger and comes with better stuff for a few dollars more. Like it or not, parents and Kids are more likely to buy a back series over a TVC, and Mission Fleet over either. Packaging is among the bottom tier of reasons.

Star wars 3.75 racetrack packaging is as iconic as the brand itself, why do you think everyone always mimicked it? Show me another Star Wars line that has a more attractive package....

And with the sheer amount of product I buy, there would have to be a lot of new collectors to pick up that slack ;)
Literally EVERY Star Wars line has a more attractive package. Even the weird TFA jungle/forest/snow nonsense was more visually interesting than these old photos. Don't get me wrong I love TVC cards but this is all nostalgia at work here.

The Rebels line from a few years back (with the Saga Legends and Mission 2 packs) was gorgeous. They were smaller and colorful.

Reaction score
I agree, the Star Wars racetrack packaging is beautiful and there is no need for another type of packaging on TVC items.

Reaction score
I agree, the Star Wars racetrack packaging is beautiful and there is no need for another type of packaging on TVC items.
Obviously TVC needs to be on the race track packaging - that is the whole point of TVC

The discussion here is the merits of giving TVC a break again and going with a refresh that will possibly lead to a more robust line and better opportunities for retail (all speculative)

Reaction score
Question..How many 3.75in figures in the regular issue of the Mandalorien line? I think I have them all in the 8 I have. I do find it strange that they only did the Imperial Death Trooper in the cabonized issue or at least I can't find one in the regular Mandalorien line.

Reaction score
Would they? Based on what, exactly? I'm always hearing about how "casual collectors, kids and parents" are just clamoring for 3.75" Star Wars figures and could get them if only Hasbro would make them available. But what is this argument based on?

The scale argument is getting old, though. It’s a nonpoint considering people can’t find either line at retail. And not just Star Wars. Kids don’t want Mission Fleet, either, or it also wouldn’t be easy to find. Man, it’s like some of you guys forget what it’s like to be kids. I get that times are different and that kids “like video games more” these days, but they still buy toys. Hell, maybe it’s just the age I am, but I *also* had video games growing up in the 90’s and I still also loved action figures. The biggest difference is that it was way easier for us to actually find stuff we were interested in.
I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a kid. But I was a kid 35 years ago. You say you get that times have changed but it kind of seems like you really aren't acknowledging to what to extent. Yes, I liked video games AND action figures as well. But it's not just about video games. It's video games plus the bazillion other forms of entertainment that are easily available now that we wouldn't even have contemplated in the 70s/80s/90s. Action figures had way less competition than they do now. Plus, there were actual toy stores with walls full of action figures from multiple lines. Now, if you insist on buying figures in a store for some reason, you're at the mercy of Target and Walmart, neither of which consider toys to be any kind of priority.

You say people have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. I see it a different way. I think people are refusing to accept that things are no longer the way they were when they were kids, and by extension, that MUST mean that the system is somehow broken and needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Question..How many 3.75in figures in the regular issue of the Mandalorien line? I think I have them all in the 8 I have. I do find it strange that they only did the Imperial Death Trooper in the cabonized issue or at least I can't find one in the regular Mandalorien line.
Makes me wonder if a standard carded IDT on mando card is the MIA #188

Reaction score
Not pictured here is TVC184 The Child or the Carbonized Death Trooper (or any Carbonized)
PXL_20210419_180408355.jpg

edit: yikes - didn't notice how blurry that was from my phone. Apologies.

Last edited:
Reaction score

The Black Series 3.75 was a disaster because it was a Walmart exclusive LINE. Not just figure...line.
Agreed, there were many reasons that line failed. Let's also remind ourselves what was in that wave of Black Series in the square boxes. In 2015...in a movie release year....you had Jedi Luke, Chewbacca and 500th Vader as the wave 1.

Awful awful choices that did little to help that line. And those figures blocked follow up waves from getting to the stores in a timely manner. They could release Sim Aloo in that packaging and you can't tell me collectors would pack it up and go home.

Giving TVC a pause wouldn't end 3.75" collecting. The only thing that will end 3.75" collecting is what is currently going on. Which is a line that has limited appeal, limited presence in stores, rising cost (due to limited scope and overall numbers sold).

I mean, how the hell did we get here? TVC figues are now $15? For some repaints??

Reaction score
Not pictured here is TVC184 The Child or the Carbonized Death Trooper (or any Carbonized)
View attachment 384211

edit: yikes - didn't notice how blurry that was from my phone. Apologies.
I have both the Child but the only IDT I can find is in the cabonized line and the regular one is listed as Rogue One. What is the name of the gold helmet and the trooper with red?

Reaction score
Armorer and incinerator trooper

Ugnaught with his control panel accessory maybe?
Ahh that's a good one, but Hasbro rarely added accesories to tvc counterparts w/ exception of the likes of royal guard, wicket and gamorrean guard w/ small add on accesories. Adding control panel to ugnaught would be like adding a droud part to jawa but they didn't.

Oh what about mommaw nadan ie hammerhead? He was rumored at one time for the 1st round. But that's be a new sculpt though. I guess it's possible though

Reaction score
I have both the Child but the only IDT I can find is in the cabonized line and the regular on is listed as Rogue One. What is the name of the gold helmet and the trooper with red?
There is no regular IDT on a Mandalorian card (yet). It was released on a Rogue One card and in the 3.75" Black Series back in 2016.

The gold helmet is The Armorer and red trooper is the Incinerator Trooper (Walmart exclusive)

Reaction score
All of it is pointless debate without any numbers to back it up, so I'm not going to continue saying who would hypothetically buy or what could or should happen with the line or how it should look. The only thing that is obvious is there isn't enough 3.75" being produced as the figures consistently sell out online, there is nothing in the stores, and secondary prices are through the roof.

6" has its place, but when I see stuff like "I can get a 6 inch figure with better likeness, that's bigger and comes with better stuff for a few dollars more." I say --- go buy one that will fit in a scaled Millennium Falcon.

Reaction score
Likely 3 more "96ers" reports further says 6 per solid case. So msybe bigger bubbled repacks such as FX-7? What other remaining 96ers need a bigger/deeper bubble?
I really hope it is some 96 or whatever stuff and not something I want. **** Walmart.

Reaction score
Likely 3 more "96ers" reports further says 6 per solid case. So msybe bigger bubbled repacks such as FX-7? What other remaining 96ers need a bigger/deeper bubble?
View attachment 384210
They're at the same pricepoint as standard releases, so I don't think they'll be any larger or have more accessories. Six per case is probably just standard for these three-figure exclusive waves.

There are a lot of vintage updates they could make with existing tooling, but I'm really hoping they stay away from outdated sculpts like Endor Leia this time.

Reaction score
Would they? Based on what, exactly? I'm always hearing about how "casual collectors, kids and parents" are just clamoring for 3.75" Star Wars figures and could get them if only Hasbro would make them available. But what is this argument based on?

I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a kid. But I was a kid 35 years ago. You say you get that times have changed but it kind of seems like you really aren't acknowledging to what to extent. Yes, I liked video games AND action figures as well. But it's not just about video games. It's video games plus the bazillion other forms of entertainment that are easily available now that we wouldn't even have contemplated in the 70s/80s/90s. Action figures had way less competition than they do now. Plus, there were actual toy stores with walls full of action figures from multiple lines. Now, if you insist on buying figures in a store for some reason, you're at the mercy of Target and Walmart, neither of which consider toys to be any kind of priority.

You say people have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. I see it a different way. I think people are refusing to accept that things are no longer the way they were when they were kids, and by extension, that MUST mean that the system is somehow broken and needs to be fixed.
Based on the other lines that are available and selling well in stores. If action figures were totally dead for kids or in general, no company would be wasting their time making them.

I don’t insist on buying figures in stores, because I can’t. I have to preorder everything because for some reason in Scranton, Pennsylvania, each store gets maybe one case of anything collectible and is gone the same day, never to return. But I’m also an adult collector, who frequents forums, and has for over twenty years. We all know how to navigate what the situation has become. The general public doesn’t, and frankly, shouldn’t have to.

But what are you guys advocating for? Are people generally just happy with the way things are, and telling people like me to “just deal with it”? I want the brand and the scale to be stronger, and the only way for that to happen is for a broader audience to buy these more regularly. Boba Fett shouldn’t be hard to get. The Mandalorian shouldn’t be hard to get. A *Stormtrooper* shouldn’t be hard to get.

Reaction score
Based on the other lines that are available and selling well in stores. If action figures were totally dead for kids or in general, no company would be wasting their time making them.

I don’t insist on buying figures in stores, because I can’t. I have to preorder everything because for some reason in Scranton, Pennsylvania, each store gets maybe one case of anything collectible and is gone the same day, never to return. But I’m also an adult collector, who frequents forums, and has for over twenty years. We all know how to navigate what the situation has become. The general public doesn’t, and frankly, shouldn’t have to.

But what are you guys advocating for? Are people generally just happy with the way things are, and telling people like me to “just deal with it”? I want the brand and the scale to be stronger, and the only way for that to happen is for a broader audience to buy these more regularly. Boba Fett shouldn’t be hard to get. The Mandalorian shouldn’t be hard to get. A *Stormtrooper* shouldn’t be hard to get.
You know what's easy to collect. DC Multiverse from McFarlane. LEGO are easy to collect. What's hard to collect, Hasbro items....top to bottom.

A friend of mine is a single mom, she has a 6yo boy. He's into all the normal boy stuff for a kid his age. He has some action figures, he has role playing toys, etc. His mom picked him up some McFarlane DC figures....because she doesn't buy kids toys online unless it's something they have seen in stores and have shown interest in. Kids still like visually seeing the items they are buying. They still like seeing something on the shelf and reacting to it. She saw the DC figures in stores, liked how they looked and as a casual buyer, purchased the figures. He's also big into SW....he doesn't own any SW figures. He owns SW LEGO sets because that's SW that's available in stores.

My gf's kid is also a 6yo boy. He has a Nintendo Switch that he plays all the time (too much) but when he comes over, he wants to play with my figures. He likes playing with my 3.75" figures. He doesn't own any himself. He will likely never own any himself. Because as far as he's concerned 3.75" SW figures don't exist for sale, they are just something I somehow have. He's never seen them before anywhere else.

Action figures aren't dead for kids. Kids just aren't allowed to own figures that are halfway decent. The market has seen to that.

What can we do about this? I have no idea. But if you guys think things are perfectly fine and it doesn't matter that sales are now only online, that the line isn't growing with new customers, I don't know to tell you. But when this line falls apart completely or goes through yet another price hike, I hope everyone understands why.

Reaction score

Everyone has their own feelings on what is happening and what should happen... this is why were are where we are. Some want the vintage cards, some want line specific cards, some don't care. Some are happy with the figures being repackaged on those cards, some don't want repackaged figures at all. Some like the retro style, some want animated style, some want realistic versions of the cartoon characters. Some want only OT, some want only definitive main characters, some just want new stuff. Take any figure and there will be 30 different ways it could be done or not done and you'll find 30 people that will advocate for what they like. Collectors are not what should be driving the toy line. Hasbro must have the feeling that they are doing what is best because companies don't make things just for fun.

I agree with Maverick just above here. Every kid that comes to my house wants to see and play around with the figures that I have out at any given time. My kids are girls and it's the same. Their favorite toys have consistently been figures of some sort. American Girl all the way down to LOL girls... they'll play with what they have. If we travel, they take the smaller ones. They play with Star Wars and fight over who has Ahsoka.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're at the same pricepoint as standard releases, so I don't think they'll be any larger or have more accessories. Six per case is probably just standard for these three-figure exclusive waves.

There are a lot of vintage updates they could make with existing tooling, but I'm really hoping they stay away from outdated sculpts like Endor Leia this time.
Well I never said pack "m to the gills or whatever. I was just thinking of what figs could require a larger bubble given how they just gave retro Grogu a larger bubble. Gamorrean guard and gen grevous had larger/ deeper bubbles. FX7 would possibly require one as well and the most recent one they rereleased the the target tvc 3pk still holds up for today's standards. Hammerhead even as a total new sculpt likely would as well. I liked the idea of ugnaught w/ control panel to complement the freeze chamber, that's not likely as that's not hasbro's MO. What'd be great is if that "cat toy" 4 piece set included ugnaught lobot carded w/ control panel and claw. But still that's not likely either.

Reaction score
One of those figures is everyones all time favorite, Jar Jar lol sorry couldnt help it, just was kidding around lol

Reaction score
It feels like it shouldn't be that difficult for the 3.75" line to cater to everybody.

Hasbro could switch to a physical retail/online mainline, priced around $9.99, on all-new packaging that could be refreshed every two years or so to retain "newness" on store shelves (and would also have a different SKU with each change, so there are no more TVC Snokes or Jyns). The price cut would come from switching to an "SA as needed" approach, but with the lower range of articulation at a smart 9-12POA rather then some drastic "5POA or SA, nothing in-between" approach. If it could be costed out properly, most of the figures would still be at current articulation standards; things like BAD-mold Astromech droids, Gonks, Jawas, etc., wouldn't be affected at all, they'd just no longer be ludicrously priced at $12.99. Include extra accessories where possible/necessary, pack-in gimmicks, whatever it takes to draw people and kids in.

And since there are so many fans and collectors of vintage Kenner-style packaging, it's unfair to freeze them out--- concurrently run a Hasbro Pulse/"Fan Channel" online-only TVC line (continuing the current numbering) of the same figures that are in the mainline, but priced at a few bucks more, so at the current price of $12.99 (or more, as the winds sadly seem to be blowing that way). If there are figures in the mainline that come with accessories too large to gracefully put on a vintage card, don't include them; for example, if a mainline Cantina alien comes with a table, leave the table out of the TVC release...that collector isn't likely opening the figure anyway, so what does it matter?

It can't be that hard to have two different forms of packaging for the same product, as Hasbro has recently done that sort of thing with the Black Series "First Edition" figures a couple of years ago that were in white boxes. Some collectors will continue to buy two of each, one to open, one to keep carded. The extra few bucks for the figures on TVC cards could go back into the budget to allow for more articulation/accessories in the mainline. Vehicles and beasts? Take the same approach as with the figures. Everybody wins!

Watching the follow-up Q+A's after the Hasbro FanFest, it struck me again how overly cautious, to a fault, Hasbro's Star Wars team is about TVC. Undoubtedly, we share some of the responsibility for that, as we can collectively be kind of, uh, particular. Some of that is healthy, because it can result in better products, but some of it is just nitpicking. Maybe not being saddled (exclusively) with the "legacy" and the "heritage" of 3.75" figures in the form of The Vintage Collection would free them up to make a more fun, varied line of figures that included a wider range of vehicles, beasts, and creatures, and to just take some chances in general rather than play it too safe year in and year out.

Reaction score
Be interesting who the 3 new 96ers are, after all we're not even halfway into the year and they haven't done have enough repaints/repacks yet.

No interest in 5POA coming back, zero. There's a way to release ROTS level articulation on certain characters to keep costs down, and I'd rather have the option to get fully functional figure at a higher point than resort to buying an $8 5POA figure for just the head and a couple other usable parts. Not to mention I bet even 5POA today would be closer to $10 given the price Funko charge for their 4" offerings. Not to mention Hasbro's retro line, they would see it as the new norm. So why even bother wanting to see 5POA to return? Just go buy those retro figures that you know they're going to continue.

Honestly I don't see why TVC cardbacks are that limiting in regards to character selection or who they put out, so I don't really see a need for it to end. My only issue is that they seem too focused on OT repacks to please a certain crowd, because there are plenty of HTF not OT figures that could be very useful repacks. The final TLC wave to along with BG-J38 just to name a few. Some of the figures from the Comic Packs that go for a steep price, what about a fee Jedi other than Obi-Wan and Anakin? Plenty of sculpts exist to redo Agen Kolar, Ki Adi Mundi always needed an update and I fear we'll never see that.

Tvc still has issues with foot peg hole inconsistent sizes. That's my biggest pet peeve w/ tvc. Tired of using a drill bit by hand, to carefully carve peg holes wider and deeper without damaging the figure angles or going completely through the foot.
Well, I think that has more to do with the new rocker ankles everyone likes than anything, there just isn't as much meat left on the foot for all that and then for hole to be drilled. It's a tricky situation for them not to damage the joint. Not saying the previous version was any better as they too had issues, it's just a fact of life that the figures need some kind of aftermarket alterations.

Reaction score
It feels like it shouldn't be that difficult for the 3.75" line to cater to everybody.

Hasbro could switch to a physical retail/online mainline, priced around $9.99, on all-new packaging that could be refreshed every two years or so to retain "newness" on store shelves (and would also have a different SKU with each change, so there are no more TVC Snokes or Jyns). The price cut would come from switching to an "SA as needed" approach, but with the lower range of articulation at a smart 9-12POA rather then some drastic "5POA or SA, nothing in-between" approach. If it could be costed out properly, most of the figures would still be at current articulation standards; things like BAD-mold Astromech droids, Gonks, Jawas, etc., wouldn't be affected at all, they'd just no longer be ludicrously priced at $12.99. Include extra accessories where possible/necessary, pack-in gimmicks, whatever it takes to draw people and kids in.

And since there are so many fans and collectors of vintage Kenner-style packaging, it's unfair to freeze them out--- concurrently run a Hasbro Pulse/"Fan Channel" online-only TVC line (continuing the current numbering) of the same figures that are in the mainline, but priced at a few bucks more, so at the current price of $12.99 (or more, as the winds sadly seem to be blowing that way). If there are figures in the mainline that come with accessories too large to gracefully put on a vintage card, don't include them; for example, if a mainline Cantina alien comes with a table, leave the table out of the TVC release...that collector isn't likely opening the figure anyway, so what does it matter?

It can't be that hard to have two different forms of packaging for the same product, as Hasbro has recently done that sort of thing with the Black Series "First Edition" figures a couple of years ago that were in white boxes. Some collectors will continue to buy two of each, one to open, one to keep carded. The extra few bucks for the figures on TVC cards could go back into the budget to allow for more articulation/accessories in the mainline. Vehicles and beasts? Take the same approach as with the figures. Everybody wins!

Watching the follow-up Q+A's after the Hasbro FanFest, it struck me again how overly cautious, to a fault, Hasbro's Star Wars team is about TVC. Undoubtedly, we share some of the responsibility for that, as we can collectively be kind of, uh, particular. Some of that is healthy, because it can result in better products, but some of it is just nitpicking. Maybe not being saddled (exclusively) with the "legacy" and the "heritage" of 3.75" figures in the form of The Vintage Collection would free them up to make a more fun, varied line of figures that included a wider range of vehicles, beasts, and creatures, and to just take some chances in general rather than play it too safe year in and year out.
The Necessary Articulation is key. The SA(ish) figures were $9.99 in 2004 when they started with the VOTC line so it makes sense for the 'collector line' to be $13-15 I guess... not super excited about that but it's just reality.

For the rest, 5POA is non-negotiable. Even an Emperor figure needs to be able to move his arms in a way that emulates the movies. That figure could be 8POA with head, shoulders, elbows, wrists and waist. Ewoks would only need like 6 or 7 joints. I mean, it's not rocket science.

Reaction score
Well, I think that has more to do with the new rocker ankles everyone likes than anything, there just isn't as much meat left on the foot for all that and then for hole to be drilled. It's a tricky situation for them not to damage the joint. Not saying the previous version was any better as they too had issues, it's just a fact of life that the figures need some kind of aftermarket alterations.
Nope, the peg size issue goes way back, long b4 rocker ankles. Grant it, rocker ankles don't help the issue