The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I must have overlooked that or read it on another site that paraphrased the question -- as I bounce around several sites. Link please to the full question?
Do you anticipate there being any Episode V vehicle / adventure set support in The Vintage Collection next year for the 40th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back?

The bold portion is what I was asking about (and really only one of them).

Reaction score
Do you anticipate there being any Episode V vehicle / adventure set support in The Vintage Collection next year for the 40th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back?

The bold portion is what I was asking about (and really only one of them).
From Yakface's hints it sounds like we will be getting at least one TESB play-set next year. The OT play-set they have listed is probably a TESB set as they replied to someone who speculated that it might be Hoth by saying "not Hoth but you're warm". I'd say it's reasonable to therefore assume we're getting at least one TESB play-set next year. Hopefully more.

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted already but a few weeks ago Jayson from Yakface posted a couple of interesting things IMO regarding upcoming TVC products. These comments can be found in the comments on this post but I've quoted them below in case anyone hasn't seen them and doesn't want to scroll through all the comments on the post:

"I can confirm the next TVC vehicle is cool as is the upcoming OT playset."

"The playset is not from Hoth but you’re warm."

The latter comment is especially interesting IMO. I might be reaching but I think that's a hint that the OT play-set on their list is from TESB. Since it's not a Hoth themed play-set I think a section of Bespin is most likely as Yakface have also said in the past that the price of this play-set is similar to the price this years Jabba's Adventure Set was. Yoda's Hut is the only other thing I can think of for a TESB play-set that's not Bespin or Hoth but I don't think Yoda's Hut could be done in sections and I expect the price would be higher than $49.99 like Jabba's set was.

That is HUGE news - I was thinking this all along. The Cave Of Evil 3 pack was WAY too odd of a choice to put out there without somewhere to put those 3 figures. I really think the Dagobah hutt is coming and hopefully a brand new definitive ESB Yoda apology figure.

Reaction score
Thank you for reading, even though "blogger" makes me cringe considering how many hours go into a single photo gallery.

I'm sorry those two questions seem wasted, but I've been at this for over a decade now (I know that's an eye blink in terms of RS's history), but there was strategy behind those questions. I know what Hasbro can and can't answer. I also know how to hopefully phrase a question that can indirectly provide a confirmation. With respect to the ESB question, it was in an attempt to inch a swirling rumor, that I cannot talk about, toward confirmation. If you look at the specifics of the question, maybe you can connect some dots. I wasn't looking for product confirmation, which I know they can't give. I was looking for platform confirmation. It didn't work, but oh well. Swing and a miss. I even prefaced the question by saying that "I know you can't discuss specifics."

As far as the Emperor question, it absolutely wasn't a question. And again, if we could share the audio (we can't), I also prefaced that question by saying, "I know you can't answer this" and admitted it was more advocating for the product. I viewed using one of the five questions to continue pushing subject on what I view as the most glaring original 92/96 TVC omission as equally as valuable as asking a question that could illicit a meaningful answer.

I don't want to keep using RS resources, so if anyone would like to further this particular discussion, you're welcome to post in the comments over there.
THANK YOU for inquiring about an ROTJ Emperor - it's an absolute travesty that we've seen none in the practical decade of TVC's existence. He's THE baddie of ROTJ, it's just unreal. I can't stand that Black Series got him first as well, with the chair no less. Any one should be putting heat on Hasbro for this unjust imbalance in the galaxy, so thanks for doing your part. You spoke for a huge portion of the fanbase - I hope people continue to pepper bomb Hasbro with that same question "not" question lol

Reaction score
So ideas cost money?

Some good questions asked in the q/a with Hasbro.

But I cringe every time a blogger asks "is THIS coming out"? We already know the non-answer due to marketing plans.

No, they won't announce a ROTJ Emperor or ESB products in a Google Hangouts. Wasted precious question slots, those are.
While i agree that sometimes people waste a slot on unanswerable questions such as this. I'd go as far to say that there really are no good questions, unless you're trying to brown nose. I mean it's fruitless to ask who and when, or if they're aware of distribution problems and how they plan to address it. What is there really left to ask anymore?
Every answer to those types of question are always the same, stay tuned or some vague nondescript reason why they're not doing something.

Less waves, more figures? Considering they scaled back the cases to 8 figures for whatever reasons years ago, how do you adjust it to make up for less waves?
10 figures per case/wave? And how much is "less", 2, 4? In all honesty I didn't think there were that many waves in a year as it was, something like 4?

bac

Reaction score
I feel two Emperors are inevitable. The only question is whether we get the ROTJ or TROS one first.

ROTJ fills an original 92 slot that Hasbro has already stated is in their plans to complete.

TROS supports a major character in new media whose appearance is deliberately being kept under wraps.

Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand which of the original vintage 92 have yet to be put on a vintage card in the modern line? Is there a list somewhere?

Reaction score
Vintage card? Good question.

We can start with the figures that havent been remade at all:

Sim Aloo
Lars Power Droid
Mustache Bespin Guard
Mustache Rebel Officer (or the guy on the Rebel Commander cardback. neither have been made)
Death Star Controller (guy on the cardback photo of Death Squad Commander)

After that, I would need a list of VOTC/VTSC/VTAC/TVC figures to figure it out. I have a checklist but it only marks new figures, not repacks. Most had been made before TVC started, and some mightve been repacks. It's alot, 30 or so figures, and most from ROTJ/POTF era.

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, and I know there's more--

Momaw Nadon
Snaggletooth
Death Star Droid
Lobot
Ugnaught
FX-7
2-1B
AT-AT Driver
Tessek
8D8
EV9D9
Amanaman
A-Wing Pilot
Anakin Skywalker
Rancor Keeper
AT-ST Driver
General Madine
Most of the Ewoks, I'm not totally sure which ones

And I don't know if we want to count the Death Star Gunner. I'm pretty sure he's only been available on a Rogue One card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand which of the original vintage 92 have yet to be put on a vintage card in the modern line? Is there a list somewhere?
I counted 40 in total. So including those 16 mentioned above, let's add...power droid, blue snaggletooth. Bespin guatd (mustachio), rebel commander, imperial commander, c3po (removable limbs), bespin guard (Sgt E), zuckuss (the alien), gen marine, chief chirps, bib Fortuna, max reno band, the emperor, teebo, romba, warok, paploo, luke (endor), r2 (pop up saber), luke stormtrooper, and imp dignitary. Now som of these were part of target 3pks, but these were not tvc single carded. Interesting about imp gunner, I think when first revealed he was shown w/ vintage yellow background and may been quoted to be Ep4, but later became a r1 w/ green backing card. To make 40, I counted "death squad/ star destroyer commander" in grey uniform.

Reaction score
I counted 40 in total. So including those 16 mentioned above, let's add...power droid, blue snaggletooth. Bespin guatd (mustachio), rebel commander, imperial commander, c3po (removable limbs), bespin guard (Sgt E), zuckuss (the alien), gen marine, chief chirps, bib Fortuna, max reno band, the emperor, teebo, romba, warok, paploo, luke (endor), r2 (pop up saber), luke stormtrooper, and imp dignitary. Now som of these were part of target 3pks, but these were not tvc single carded. Interesting about imp gunner, I think when first revealed he was shown w/ vintage yellow background and may been quoted to be Ep4, but later became a r1 w/ green backing card. To make 40, I counted "death squad/ star destroyer commander" in grey uniform.
Technically, Blue Snaggletooth shouldn't really be included as a "missing" character since he was never actually carded in the first place.

Also, I think we're missing R2 with sensorscope.

Reaction score
Any figure / character that has appeared in a TVC "special action figure set", I've always considered covered by Hasbro as part of the vintage collection. They even hinted that the biggest Kenner void in the modern line, Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo, would likely be in some type of multipack, leading me to believe that not all original Kenner figures will be on basic TVC cards. I know this is more of a broad discussion as to what hasn't made its way onto a cardback, but viability is a big factor, especially if the Emperor and Sim Aloo, which received the most OT votes (alongside Yakface) in the fans choice poll, are still lingering in limbo. I wonder if figures like Snaggletooth or Death Star Droid, which were released in those TVC multipacks would be considered for repacks. They're both good figures, but I wonder if the demand to see them again exists?

Reaction score
True w/ blue snagg, but I counted him just because...that's how I keep .my orig vintage organized. It's conventional to say orig 92, but technically there were 100 true vintage figs. 96 single carded. R2 w/ ss did come out in 2004 votc, Grant it on ROTJ logo card but released nontheless. And I included those from tarvet 3pks simply because they do not have a single card version in tvc unlike the original 3 pks that incl. figures available single cardedly back in 700s/80s at the same time.

Reaction score
The Death Star Gunner was always going to be on a Rogue One card. When Hasbro revealed the figure at SDCC 2018 they stated it was the Rogue One version of the gunner and therefore would be on a RO cardback.

Reaction score
Any figure / character that has appeared in a TVC "special action figure set", I've always considered covered by Hasbro as part of the vintage collection. They even hinted that the biggest Kenner void in the modern line, Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo, would likely be in some type of multipack, leading me to believe that not all original Kenner figures will be on basic TVC cards. I know this is more of a broad discussion as to what hasn't made its way onto a cardback, but viability is a big factor, especially if the Emperor and Sim Aloo, which received the most OT votes (alongside Yakface) in the fans choice poll, are still lingering in limbo. I wonder if figures like Snaggletooth or Death Star Droid, which were released in those TVC multipacks would be considered for repacks. They're both good figures, but I wonder if the demand to see them again exists?
True, but as the recent Skiff Guards three pack shows Hasbro can now do multi-packs with figures on their own cardbacks. I imagine if Sim Aloo gets a multi-pack release it will still be on a card. I feel like those multi-packs are a good way for Hasbro to do characters that might not sell well on their own or in the main-line.

Reaction score
Right, but Simdog's original question was specifically about figures on TVC cards.

Reaction score
True, but as the recent Skiff Guards three pack shows Hasbro can now do multi-packs with figures on their own cardbacks. I imagine if Sim Aloo gets a multi-pack release it will still be on a card. I feel like those multi-packs are a good way for Hasbro to do characters that might not sell well on their own or in the main-line.
True, but the 3-packs that hit retail have all been the standard "special" sets, perhaps if Sim Aloo & the Emperor are an exclusive, they'll get the full cardback treatment. Hasbro tends to be difficult with that stuff, and they BS collectors, saying that those extras cost too much, etc. The skiff guard set contained one retool and two repacks and was $40, the Dagobah set is two new heads on repacked bodies, and a repacked Vader, hitting the $40 mark once again. I'm hesitant to believe they'll do a brand new Sim Aloo, significantly retooled Emperor and a repack, all on cardbacks for the same price - they'd likely push it up to $50. It would be cool to have individual cards though, so maybe they'll be less parsimonious next year.

Reaction score
I really would like to see the combo of ESB R2 with his sensor scope feature in the modern molds and some of his other nice accessories as well as C-3PO with his removable limbs. I'd love it if they finally went back to vac-metal again - it's pretty essential for 3PO in my mind. Of course every other figure on that list deserves making as well - I'm really holding out for Lobot and ESB Lando - those two are so sorely needed.

Reaction score
Less waves, more figures? Considering they scaled back the cases to 8 figures for whatever reasons years ago, how do you adjust it to make up for less waves?
10 figures per case/wave? And how much is "less", 2, 4? In all honesty I didn't think there were that many waves in a year as it was, something like 4?
I think it means we'll see fewer figures being doubled up and fewer waves like the one with Crait Luke, DS Gunner, Tank Commander, and R2 each being 2x per case. Oddly enough, though, Yakface is reporting the tentative case pack with the Mandalorian is Mando, Cara, Stormtroper, and Zorii each 2x, so who knows where this might go.

Reaction score
I think it means we'll see fewer figures being doubled up and fewer waves like the one with Crait Luke, DS Gunner, Tank Commander, and R2 each being 2x per case. Oddly enough, though, Yakface is reporting the tentative case pack with the Mandalorian is Mando, Cara, Stormtroper, and Zorii each 2x, so who knows where this might go.
That’s probably a good thing for that particular wave since demand will be pretty high for the Mando characters.

What I’m hoping Hasbro is aiming for is larger waves that will ship and be stocked longer, rather than these small waves that hit and disappear forever if they even get stocked at all.

Reaction score
That is HUGE news - I was thinking this all along. The Cave Of Evil 3 pack was WAY too odd of a choice to put out there without somewhere to put those 3 figures. I really think the Dagobah hutt is coming and hopefully a brand new definitive ESB Yoda apology figure.
And since we got the figures needed for such a set in a separate release, maybe this set will be without figures. My point is perhaps we'll get more playset for the price if it is indeed a Yoda's hut set.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any more cons of Hasbro appearances anywhere before the February toy fair?

Reaction score
There's one in Germany early December where I'm hoping "duckboat" and maybe a few more tvc figs gets revealed. Also, I think there is a toy fair in Europe just before the USA toy fair as well.

Reaction score
And since we got the figures needed for such a set in a separate release, maybe this set will be without figures. My point is perhaps we'll get more playset for the price if it is indeed a Yoda's hut set.
I think there is a great chance we still get some figures with the set, namely a ghost Obi-Wan for TVC (FINALLY!) and maybe a ESB R2 that has swamp deco with all the supplies and charging station from the movie. I still hope Hasbro does an apology Yoda that is fully articulated and actually made to represent ESB, with the proper cane (NOT his stupid anime one) and better soft goods more akin to the vintage Kenner version. Hasbro really needs to get the paint job right too, Yoda is PALE green not some dark forest green that they keep insisting upon. In any case, an upgraded Yoda would need a wide release.

Reaction score
I saw the Dagobah 3 pack today and aside from Yoda that pack is just as bad in person. The only way I’m picking it up is if I can swap those Luke arms out somehow. I never bought the original version because the arms were so bad, but does anyone know if they pop out with heat or if the torso has to be cracked.

Also, I wish they’d start repacking the way better articulated Vader that was in the Black Series because I really don’t want to pay $30+ just because I couldn’t find it when it was released.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any more cons of Hasbro appearances anywhere before the February toy fair?
Hasbro are making more reveals at German Comic Con Dortmund next month. The con is the 7th and 8th of December but no details on the exact panel day and time have been revealed yet. As far as TVC reveals go I think we'll see the second TVC The Mandalorian vehicle codenamed "Duckboat" get revealed which is an Imperial vehicle and any other reveals would be a bonus. According to Yakface the vehicle was originally planned for a reveal at MCM London Comic Con alongside the TVC The Mandalorian figure. My guess is they weren't allowed to reveal it then since it hasn't appeared in the show yet. I imagine it will in the next few episodes that air before German Comic Con.

After the German con that's likely it until New York Toy Fair which is usually the first con of the year for Hasbro reveals. There are other Toy Fairs before NY like in the UK and Germany but typically pictures aren't allowed at those and they're very secretive compared to NY Toy Fair. I wouldn't expect much if anything from those (maybe sites will describe what they saw if we're lucky) but after German Comic Con then the next one is NY Toy Fair.

Reaction score
Great summary, Delta! Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping to see the Duckboat by the end of the year. How many Imperial ships/vehicles have we seen so far in the first three episode? The Duckboat may be something we haven't come across yet, meaning it might be considered a "spoiler" vehicle! The "boat" part makes it sound more like a ship than a walker-type thing.

Reaction score
You totally did! Efficiently done!

DeltaSquadSev11 keeps meticulous track of Hasbro's statements and announcements, and usually gives a heads-up to the different opportunities to listen in (kind of like a reporter). I try to encourage him to keep at it (good boy, Delta, good boy)!

Reaction score
Ummm didn't I say same thing but in 2 sentences not 2 paragraphs a few posts up?! LOL J/K
You did and you did a great job. I just thought I'd add a few more details like the exact dates of German Comic Con Dortmund and clarify that while there are Toy Fairs in Europe prior to NY Toy Fair they're very private events and we usually don't get pictures from them. Only descriptions of what people saw at them if we're lucky.

Reaction score
Great summary, Delta! Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping to see the Duckboat by the end of the year. How many Imperial ships/vehicles have we seen so far in the first three episode? The Duckboat may be something we haven't come across yet, meaning it might be considered a "spoiler" vehicle! The "boat" part makes it sound more like a ship than a walker-type thing.
You're welcome. Yeah, I don't think we saw any Imperial vehicles in the first three episodes and in the trailers we only saw TIE's and Moff Gideon's TIE. Yakface have said it's not a TIE but something more like a "troop transport" which we definitely haven't seen yet. Hopefully we see it in the episodes that are released before German Comic Con. Maybe it's even the classic Imperial Troop Transport design brought to live action.

Reaction score
You totally did! Efficiently done!

DeltaSquadSev11 keeps meticulous track of Hasbro's statements and announcements, and usually gives a heads-up to the different opportunities to listen in (kind of like a reporter). I try to encourage him to keep at it (good boy, Delta, good boy)!
Funnily enough I did study journalism/radio in college and I run my own podcast where I interview cast and crew from films, TV shows, video-games etc.

A large part of the reason I keep track of all the Hasbro announcements and various rumours from Yakface, Stan, JTA etc is that I try to help out fellow TVC collectors and myself. There's a lot of products released, revealed and rumoured to be coming so I think it's useful to keep track on the announcements and rumours.

Reaction score
Haven't really had an interest in the VC. But I saw a Jawa at Walmart and loved the 12 back style card. So how many 12 back style cards have been done in the VC?? Just in a quick research I found Jawa, Chewbacca and R2-D2. And are they going to eventually do them all?

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

Reaction score
^ well let's see...Ben Kenobi (2004, VOTC), Luke Skywalker (2004, VOTC), Jawa (2019, TVC), Tusken Raider (2007, VOTC), R2-D2 (2019 TVC), Princess Leia (2004, VOTC), Han Solo (2004, VOTC), Chewbacca (ANH- 2019, TVC), Death Squad/Star Destryoyer Commander (2011, TVC - renamed Imperial Navy Officer), C-3PO ( ESB 2004 VOTC/ ESB 2010 TVC), Stormtrooper (ROTJ- 2004, VOTC/ ESB- 2011, TVC), Darth Vader (ESB- 2004, VOTC/ ESB- 2010 & 2019 TVC and *ANH, TVC 2011 #93). The other 2 have not been on TVC ANH logo card as of yet.

* edited correction

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
Technically speaking the VOTC's are fair game for updates in TVC. Darth Vader, Luke X-Wing and Luke Bespin being prime examples.