The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Its true, and a big problem is that Hasbro listened to a loud voice on another site that said - put anything on a TVC card and we'll buy it - that's part of issue. When they listen to the wrong voice, it can lead this line down a path that will bury it. I think its all a matter of smart repacks / repaints, and a better ratio of new sculpts, along with broad character diversity - that's when TVC thrived originally. If TVC were simply composed of OT repacks, it would die off within a year. Use that General Lando figure for example, its under $4 on the WM website right now - it shouldn't be repacked - period. There should be a ROS Lando in an upcoming wave instead.

Reaction score
If hasbro only listens to the people who think they should only make ot items then they are doomed. Star Wars is much bigger than the ot now. Ignoring that and catering to the narrow minded people only would be ignoring most of their assets.
I never once said to "only make ot items," I simply made some suggestions for Legacy collection figures that would make good TVC repacks. Hell I'm still hoping for TVC Saw Guerra! Guess I'll keep my "narrow-minded" opinions to myself in the future.

Reaction score
Its true, and a big problem is that Hasbro listened to a loud voice on another site that said - put anything on a TVC card and we'll buy it - that's part of issue. When they listen to the wrong voice, it can lead this line down a path that will bury it. I think its all a matter of smart repacks / repaints, and a better ratio of new sculpts, along with broad character diversity - that's when TVC thrived originally. If TVC were simply composed of OT repacks, it would die off within a year. Use that General Lando figure for example, its under $4 on the WM website right now - it shouldn't be repacked - period. There should be a ROS Lando in an upcoming wave instead.
I agree with all of the above but someone please tell Hasbro that smart repacks are just the same sculpt with photo real deco. A smart repack is kitbashing for better and more accurate limbs i.e. Ceremonial Luke or kitbashing to create an entirely new figure like in the Skiff 3 pack. I'd prefer Kitbashed figures to photo real deco figures nay day.

Reaction score
Yeah, Yavin Luke & Leia are examples of smart retools / repacks. Probably the ultimate retool out now would be the Klatooinian from the AT-ST, most people probably cant tell that its a repurposed skiff guard body under the new outfit / accessories. I think what smart repacks boil down to is whether demand exists and fans are eager to purchase a given figure. If they cant sell out of that Lando figure I mentioned above at $4, why would people pay $14? I don't think a few drops of extra paint and a new cardback will move enough of those figures.

Reaction score
The smart retools should be the never before done and obscure characters, even if they are packed in a 3 pack like the skiff guard set. It just make sense. There will eventually be a wave of these face paint redeco figures that peg warms because its just getting boring.

Reaction score
Hasbro did a Q&A with some of the fan sites today over Google Hangout. Some very interesting questions and answers. Worth a read.

Reaction score
The most troubling thing was this part of Hasbro's response to the lower cost of GOA figures vs Vintage:
...and finally, because the ordering volume of GoA is higher, it helps to keep the cost down.
So that would explain the dearth of Vintage at retail and the plethora of GOA piling up. 🤔 :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Since the Purge Trooper appears to be repaint of airbourne trooper, this one would be a good candidate for TVC in a hypothetical upcoming repack/repaint wave like the current yavin Leia/jawa wave. Unlike Darth Revan that came out originally the same year, an airbourne trooper does have tvc worthy articulation. Other figures worthy of going in such a wave or 2 would be off-world Jawa (using the 2nd TBS jawa sculpt), IG-11, R1 Rebel Fleet Trooper (already a 2020 rumor), mustached Bespin Security Guard, AOTC clone commander (yellow stripe), Captain (red stripe), and for fun...2nd MIA utai (already tooled right? lol)

Reaction score
The most troubling thing was this part of Hasbro's response to the lower cost of GOA figures vs Vintage:

So that would explain the dearth of Vintage at retail and the plethora of GOA piling up. 🤔 :rolleyes:
It makes sense that retailers would order more GOA, if its new and Hasbro describes it as their kid focused line - which they're pushing. I honestly don't think the retailers know any better - all they know is that Hasbro revived TVC with a garbage first wave in 2018 that they cant rid of. Hopefully TVC sales get a significant boost this Fall, which it looks like they are, considering they're moving online and at retail stores.

Likewise, its fantastic to see Jedi Business standing up for the 3.75 scale, and the void that exists without a basic line. My guess is that GOA will do more harm than good - its the line that's hardcore pegwarming, not TVC.

Reaction score

So that would explain the dearth of Vintage at retail and the plethora of GOA piling up. :rolleyes:
It doesn’t matter if they sit in stores. If they were produced in higher numbers, that’s what brings the cost down. Plus, the movie isn’t even out yet. Kids aren’t as excited about It as adults are just yet. Add to that Christmas is coming up, so if kids even have disposable income, their parents are probably advising them not to buy anything “because Santa’s coming”. I know mine did.

Reaction score
I recently came across these rare full body shots of Yak Face and co..
Is it just me or does Yak Face have hooves? I know the TVC one is based on the Kenner original so perhaps Kenner didn’t have a photo showing his feet. This also shows how inaccurate the TVC head sizes are.

bac

Reaction score
Some good questions asked in the q/a with Hasbro.

But I cringe every time a blogger asks "is THIS coming out"? We already know the non-answer due to marketing plans.

No, they won't announce a ROTJ Emperor or ESB products in a Google Hangouts. Wasted precious question slots, those are.

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter if they sit in stores. If they were produced in higher numbers, that’s what brings the cost down. Plus, the movie isn’t even out yet. Kids aren’t as excited about It as adults are just yet. Add to that Christmas is coming up, so if kids even have disposable income, their parents are probably advising them not to buy anything “because Santa’s coming”. I know mine did.
Exactly. GoA is the Star Wars presence for Christmas gifts this season. For parents/grandparents/gift givers they are perfect.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm holding out on judgement for Galaxy of Adventures until at least 6 months from now. I think it's too early to judge. I don't hate it or anything, I just don't understand why Hasbro chooses to make new lines rather than focusing on making their existing lines better. It was probably easier for me to collect as a kid than it is for a kid today cause everything was so streamlined when I was a kid. There was just one Star Wars figure line. I didn't have three different scales to choose from at any given time, some having characters the others didn't have, or another having a vehicle the others didn't have.

Reaction score
:LOL: I don't think you realized my comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but thanks for the econ lesson. :rolleyes: In all seriousness though, I've already seen these on clearance in a couple places. On a whim I counted the stock at one WM and there were 38 in the aisle shipper.
Exactly. GoA is the Star Wars presence for Christmas gifts this season. For parents/grandparents/gift givers they are perfect.
We'll see, it's basically an untested product at retail whereas TVC is more of a known entity.

Reaction score
Hasbro seemed to stick to their typical formula for that Q&A session ("we can't comment right now"). But, the 10 paint apps to 60 paint apps was an insightful tidbit. The HasLab thing was a bit of a downer; apparently, it costs plenty even to suggest an item.

And if repacks are "bonus figures," then what is the main line of TVC figures? It sounds like it's such a struggle for them even to do one new fig. Maybe we should be campaigning for 5PoA to return, just so we can have a bit of 3.75" to depend on.

Reaction score
Since the Purge Trooper appears to be repaint of airbourne trooper, this one would be a good candidate for TVC in a hypothetical upcoming repack/repaint wave like the current yavin Leia/jawa wave. Unlike Darth Revan that came out originally the same year, an airbourne trooper does have tvc worthy articulation. Other figures worthy of going in such a wave or 2 would be off-world Jawa (using the 2nd TBS jawa sculpt), IG-11, R1 Rebel Fleet Trooper (already a 2020 rumor), mustached Bespin Security Guard, AOTC clone commander (yellow stripe), Captain (red stripe), and for fun...2nd MIA utai (already tooled right? lol)
Just out of curiosity where did you hear about the Rogue One Rebel Fleet Trooper being a 2020 rumour? Not saying I don't believe you as I could see Hasbro releasing a R1 Fleet Trooper as it would be an easy figure to do. I don't remember seeing a rumour of it though which is why I'm asking. It would be a cool figure though.

Reaction score
It's been a while, few months back or so, but I recall another site posting the possibility of this coming via Hasbro comments of some r1 representation in 2020

Reaction score
I don't think you realized my comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but thanks for the econ lesson. :rolleyes: In all seriousness though, I've already seen these on clearance in a couple places. On a whim I counted the stock at one WM and there were 38 in the aisle shipper.

We'll see, it's basically an untested product at retail whereas TVC is more of a known entity.
But VC is released in a somewhat limited manner and since the Wave 1 debacle hasn't really hung around on the pegs long enough to be a serious gift consideration for the casual shopper looking to put something "Star Wars" in someone's stocking.

GoA gives Star Wars shelf awareness. They look good and have interesting packaging. They are readily available to aisle browsers. The character selection covers all the bases (heavy hitters like Luke and Vader / fan favorite Chewbacca / Stormtrooper / new media AND diversity with Rey and Finn / a Droid pack).

VC is too limited in character selection and distribution to be a gift giving staple. Figures like Cassian don't go away and all the new stuff gets snapped up by collectors like us in one fell swoop. Most of us grab the entire case before it hits the sales floor.

Reaction score
It's been a while, few months back or so, but I recall another site posting the possibility of this coming via Hasbro comments of some r1 representation in 2020
Interesting. If you remember the site at some point it would be great if you could post that. I know a few months ago Yakface said more Rogue One figures should be coming to TVC in 2020 but nothing about any figures they'd heard about. Sounds like the R1 Rebel Fleet Trooper report was from a different fan site though.

While it wouldn't be the most exciting Rogue One figure for TVC I think a Rogue One Rebel Fleet Trooper would be pretty cool. Easy figure for Hasbro to make with at least a new head. It would be cool to see it on a Rogue One card and even better if it came with the Death Star plans as one of the accessories.

Reaction score
Some good questions asked in the q/a with Hasbro.

But I cringe every time a blogger asks "is THIS coming out"? We already know the non-answer due to marketing plans.

No, they won't announce a ROTJ Emperor or ESB products in a Google Hangouts. Wasted precious question slots, those are.
I agree on the ROTJ Emperor question. I can understand collectors really want him (I do too) but Hasbro aren't going to announce him in a Q&A or interview.

While I also agree on the ESB question (it's obvious we're getting TESB products next year to celebrate the anniversary) I do actually think Hasbro's response to it was interesting at least. Sounds like The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars might be the focus in TVC next year with TESB also figuring in quite a bit. Obviously we'll get products from other media too. I personally would be very happy if this is the case.

Reaction score
But VC is released in a somewhat limited manner and since the Wave 1 debacle hasn't really hung around on the pegs long enough to be a serious gift consideration for the casual shopper looking to put something "Star Wars" in someone's stocking.
I never mentioned anything about VC as gifts. So...I guess I agree with this.
GoA gives Star Wars shelf awareness. They look good and have interesting packaging. They are readily available to aisle browsers. The character selection covers all the bases (heavy hitters like Luke and Vader / fan favorite Chewbacca / Stormtrooper / new media AND diversity with Rey and Finn / a Droid pack).
Eh. 🤷‍♂️ That's your opinion. Anecdotal evidence suggests that these won't be that popular and won't significantly move at retail until there is further clearance and price reduction, just like the GOA predecessors in the tubes. We won't know for sure until post-Christmas so it's speculation until then. And, even then there'll be no way to tell who purchased them and whether it was for a gift or as part of an adult collection. As I said it is an untested format for SW and the rumored future waves in this line are fairly lackluster with few new figures and many repacks from the first wave.
VC is too limited in character selection and distribution to be a gift giving staple. Figures like Cassian don't go away and all the new stuff gets snapped up by collectors like us in one fell swoop. Most of us grab the entire case before it hits the sales floor.
That's what I meant by "known entity". Hasbro should know that an increased presence of "new" VC at any time, not just Christmas, would mostly sell through. I would have liked to see them working more with retail partners to improve VC distribution and selection.

Reaction score
I'm selling up. It's a habit now and the fun has gone after the last few years of holding on.

Hasbro's releases have been largely dull since 2012 and 75% of the Disney cinematic output does nothing for me.

Yet I find I can watch Mandalorian and thoroughly enjoy it without feeling any desire to own anything that I see on the screen in miniature. Ergo, I don't need any of it.

Reaction score
I recently came across these rare full body shots of Yak Face and co..
Is it just me or does Yak Face have hooves? I know the TVC one is based on the Kenner original so perhaps Kenner didn’t have a photo showing his feet. This also shows how inaccurate the TVC head sizes are.
Those photos are fantastic! Thanks for posting them. Yakface looks unfinished here.

Cant' get a clear read on the heads here. Seems to be some foreshortening going on.

bac

Reaction score
I'm selling up. It's a habit now and the fun has gone after the last few years of holding on.
Sorry to hear that. If true. lmk if you unload a MOC *unpunched* Magna Guard, Cody or Obi-Wan VC16. I'm on the hunt for all three.

Reaction score
Darth Satan, don't go. Losing you would be like Alderaan blowing up.

It's true that it's nothing like it used to be (in almost any sense), leading to bouts of frustration and depression. But the old joy usually reemerges at some point (or just in time). I quit once, but came back in 2017, and have been thriving ever since. I look for small victories, like a usable holster on a skiff guard or an unexpected Jerba head.

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted already but a few weeks ago Jayson from Yakface posted a couple of interesting things IMO regarding upcoming TVC products. These comments can be found in the comments on this post but I've quoted them below in case anyone hasn't seen them and doesn't want to scroll through all the comments on the post:

"I can confirm the next TVC vehicle is cool as is the upcoming OT playset."

"The playset is not from Hoth but you’re warm."

The latter comment is especially interesting IMO. I might be reaching but I think that's a hint that the OT play-set on their list is from TESB. Since it's not a Hoth themed play-set I think a section of Bespin is most likely as Yakface have also said in the past that the price of this play-set is similar to the price this years Jabba's Adventure Set was. Yoda's Hut is the only other thing I can think of for a TESB play-set that's not Bespin or Hoth but I don't think Yoda's Hut could be done in sections and I expect the price would be higher than $49.99 like Jabba's set was.

bac

Reaction score
"I can confirm the next TVC vehicle is cool as is the upcoming OT playset."

"The playset is not from Hoth but you’re warm."
[/URL]
The other interesting bit of 2020 news from the recent Google Hangouts with bloggers is that there will be fewer TVC waves next year, and more figures in each wave. I suspect this move is to battle brick-and-mortar distribution issues.

As for the playset, I agree that odds are favorable for something Bespin-related. I'm as excited for the possibilities as the theoretical pack-in figures on TVC cards.

Reaction score
I could see it being the dinner scene, Repack Vader with the deflecting laser blast and probably Fett. A new Bespin Leia to finish it off...

Is anyone else seeing TVC dry up locally? I was out running errands and checked the pegs yesterday and it seemed like brick and mortar was really empty. Still some X-wing Lukes hanging around but that was literally the only figure that I saw yesterday between 1 target and 2 walmarts. (The walmart shippers with Yavin Luke still haven't hit here as far as I can tell...) I am selfishly hoping that is the case elsewhere so maybe that Mandalorian wave will ship really early but I was curious if it is a fluke or if retail is really dry.

I did finally see the Jabba playset in a store. I kind of want a second one but at 50 bucks this time of year, it is an easy pass.

Reaction score
Not that I'm wanting this per say , but I could accept a retool especially w/o cannon and add in both vintage carded Bespin guards, 1 total repack (Sgt E from TLC) other new head sculpt w/ mustache and or beard. http://www.rebelscum.com/potjcarbonitechamber.asp
I agree that Bespin Guards would make for good play-set pack-in figures on TVC cards. It would be a good way for Hasbro to complete more of the original 92 and (probably a controversial opinion here) I don't think the Bespin Guards would sell well as main-line figures. I think a play-set would be a great place for them.

Reaction score

Hasbro's releases have been largely dull since 2012 and 75% of the Disney cinematic output does nothing for me.

Yet I find I can watch Mandalorian and thoroughly enjoy it without feeling any desire to own anything that I see on the screen in miniature. Ergo, I don't need any of it.
Even if you're out of the game I hope you still stick around for discussion.

Reaction score
R1G4R3PO said:
Not that I'm wanting this per say , but I could accept a retool especially w/o cannon and add in both vintage carded Bespin guards, 1 total repack (Sgt E from TLC) other new head sculpt w/ mustache and or beard. http://www.rebelscum.com/potjcarbonitechamber.asp
I agree that Bespin Guards would make for good play-set pack-in figures on TVC cards. It would be a good way for Hasbro to complete more of the original 92 and (probably a controversial opinion here) I don't think the Bespin Guards would sell well as main-line figures. I think a play-set would be a great place for them.
Careful guys, you might get labeled "narrow minded" for making such ridiculous suggestions! ;) BTW I TOTALLY agree! It would certainly make sense with the Bespin playset rumors swirling! Maybe we can check off one more of the few remaining updates from the vintage line?! C'mon ESB 40th!

Reaction score
Last year was a good year because we got the skiff guard set, the skiff and the playset and 2-6 newly sculpted and kit-bashed OT figures and some face decos. Thats not a lot but I guess a repeat of that for ESB 40th would leave everyone happy.

Reaction score

Thank you for reading, even though "blogger" makes me cringe considering how many hours go into a single photo gallery.

I'm sorry those two questions seem wasted, but I've been at this for over a decade now (I know that's an eye blink in terms of RS's history), but there was strategy behind those questions. I know what Hasbro can and can't answer. I also know how to hopefully phrase a question that can indirectly provide a confirmation. With respect to the ESB question, it was in an attempt to inch a swirling rumor, that I cannot talk about, toward confirmation. If you look at the specifics of the question, maybe you can connect some dots. I wasn't looking for product confirmation, which I know they can't give. I was looking for platform confirmation. It didn't work, but oh well. Swing and a miss. I even prefaced the question by saying that "I know you can't discuss specifics."

As far as the Emperor question, it absolutely wasn't a question. And again, if we could share the audio (we can't), I also prefaced that question by saying, "I know you can't answer this" and admitted it was more advocating for the product. I viewed using one of the five questions to continue pushing subject on what I view as the most glaring original 92/96 TVC omission as equally as valuable as asking a question that could illicit a meaningful answer.

I don't want to keep using RS resources, so if anyone would like to further this particular discussion, you're welcome to post in the comments over there.

Reaction score
I actually bought Luke and Vader for my 3 and a half year old nephew. these will stand up to play wear until he's ready to play with his uncle's hand me downs.

bac

Reaction score
Thank you for reading, even though "blogger" makes me cringe considering how many hours go into a single photo gallery.
I totally understand the massive commitment and appreciate it from all fan sites. This is coming from someone who has been running entertainment website(s) almost single-handedly since before Y2K and Wordpress. I view "blogger" as not a bad term as I've been called one many times, but see how it can be construed as such. Consider that changed to "journalist".

I'm sorry those two questions seem wasted, but I've been at this for over a decade now (I know that's an eye blink in terms of RS's history), but there was strategy behind those questions. I know what Hasbro can and can't answer. I also know how to hopefully phrase a question that can indirectly provide a confirmation.
Good to know, and thanks for clarifying. That's important to understand for all collectors and to me not at all a drain on RS resources.

I'm sorry those two questions seem wasted, but I've been at this for over a decade now (I know that's an eye blink in terms of RS's history), but there was strategy behind those questions. I know what Hasbro can and can't answer. I also know how to hopefully phrase a question that can indirectly provide a confirmation. With respect to the ESB question, it was in an attempt to inch a swirling rumor, that I cannot talk about, toward confirmation. If you look at the specifics of the question, maybe you can connect some dots. I wasn't looking for product confirmation, which I know they can't give. I was looking for platform confirmation. It didn't work, but oh well. Swing and a miss. I even prefaced the question by saying that "I know you can't discuss specifics."
I must have overlooked that or read it on another site that paraphrased the question -- as I bounce around several sites. Link please to the full question?

As far as the Emperor question, it absolutely wasn't a question. And again, if we could share the audio (we can't), I also prefaced that question by saying, "I know you can't answer this" and admitted it was more advocating for the product.
Making sense. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Reaction score
From the Rebelscum front page here's more details from the Q&A.
I'm glad to know that Hasbro continues to try and solve a frustrating and main concern of there's that is store distribution. They must really be coming up with some awesome solutions that are many years in the making. :rolleyes: