The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
What I call a "conspiracy" is people like yourself thinking that everything Disney says and does is part of some sinister plot to...I don't even know what. In this case, you've randomly decided that they're "acting like no one will notice" that they've used an EU term. But they're not "acting" like anything. You've completely made that up in order to have one more thing to blame big bad Disney for.

You take this all FAR too seriously and personally. It's actually a little bit disturbing.

Also, as far as Disney ripping things off from the EU, that's actually not even possible. They OWN the EU. They can use whatever elements they want and they don't have to explain it to you, me, or anyone else. I realize they didn't come up with those stories but that doesn't make one bit of difference. If I built a house, lived in it for 20 years, then sold it, the new owners can do whatever they want with it. It's theirs now. Are they "acting like no one will notice" if they have a barbecue on the deck I built without announcing to their guests that they didn't build it?
I find it laughable you tried to compare a physical dwelling to intellectual property. You're the one insinuating sinister plots and conspiracies, I've said no such thing. I've called them out for their unoriginality and lack of creativity. We'll see how the Mandolorian does - maybe we'll see more fresh ideas there since they don't really have to follow previous plot lines much or even mention the Force. I'm not taking anything personally and if you're "disturbed" by simple opinions, you can see yourself to the door. The site is full of disturbed folks according to your estimation of what the term connotes. Lighten up, bro. You can love Disney Star Wars all you want; if that's the case, keep enjoying what they put out.

Reaction score
Trust, I hope that I'm wrong... but I could actually see a scenario where Hasbro goes with 5 and 6 inch, dropping SA 3.75 and just giving us Retro to pacify long time, hard core old collectors.
I'm not sure RETRO would pacify many - most vintage fans enjoy collecting the actual vintage articles, not repros. If anything, the best thing to do in that format would be the route that Smith Lord went by creating the figures that they never originally came out with like the Rebel Fleet Trooper, Wedge, etc. Hasbro at least did Tarkin. Most of the long time collectors would love to see TVC keep going and dropping 3.75" altogether would cut out a pretty large paying consumer base. But no one can tell the future, so all I hope for is that TVC stays strong and if not, I'll save a nice bit of money. It has to end some time, but hopefully they'd go out with a bang if that was the case.

I'm curious if 5" has been successful or not, most of it in my areas hasn't sold through at all, whereas all the TVC has outside of the Wal-Mart Landos.

Reaction score
My thinking that 3.75 is coming to an end. I think 5 inch is going to be more of a focus. It will be 6 inch for collectors and 5 inch for kids. I sadly predict that 3.75 doesn’t have more than two years left.
Even if it's a few years away, I agree. Just look at the landscape of those two other lines, while new to it, they're all old characters we've seen numerous times in 3/75".
And since that line has pretty much ran its course for all those characters, its fate is sealed. This is why they're doing photo real on all those tired old figures. They're gonna try and milk that as long as possible, and that doesn't work...

Reaction score
For those worried about TVC, there is a new Q&A on the front page, confirming it isn't going anywhere and that they'll be looking at the unmade original Kenner 92 (probably along with resculpts). Hopefully this includes the Emperor and Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo, the highest ranking fan favorites left to be made, after Yakface received a figure.

Q: With the absence of the 5POA assortment, will we begin to see background-character aliens and droids in the Vintage Collection, or will it be reserved for main characters and fan favorites?

A: Eric Franer – For the vintage collection, we definitely still want to go explore into those more tertiary characters, that’s something we definitely want to look into. As we start to get into the new entertainment, the focus will definitely be on the main characters, the heavy hitters at first. As we start to get away from the new entertainment, we’ll be taking a close look at the more tertiary characters especially as we look into the original 92, there’s still some of those that are missing. We’re looking at everyone and everything but the main characters from the new material will be the focus.

Reaction score
Excellent post. Imperial dignitaries will be a warm welcome. TVC is iconic and always does well with fringe characters.

Reaction score
I’d be down for a repacked/repainted Amanaman. I love the original figure but I feel like he’s worthy of a reissue if they want to complete the original Kenner run. A resculpted Rebo Band would also be essential as we haven’t had an original puppet Sy since the vintage line and the figures were always a bit oversized (Droopy was played by Deep Roy who is 4’ 4”. See height compared to Lando below)

Reaction score
I was in walmart today and I noticed that other than the VC, there aren't really anymore 3.75 action figure lines. Instead of Disney dropping Hasbro all together, could they just be dropping 3.75? Well, I hope they at least pick up some steam and finish up the retro collection. I have not idea what Disney is doing but Hasbro is really suspect these days.
With the exception of Jurassic Park (and Funko's very inconsistent output, which is really geared towards adults), almost no one is doing mass-market 3.75" figures anymore. It's definitely a dying scale.

Reaction score
With the exception of Jurassic Park (and Funko's very inconsistent output, which is really geared towards adults), almost no one is doing mass-market 3.75" figures anymore. It's definitely a dying scale.
that’s why I am saying. The trend is bigger figures and its seems like the toy companies’ research indicate this. Now you add in the fact that Hasbro has considerably and very noticeably scaled down their 3.75 line. Couple that with the very old rumblings that the license was in danger of being non-renewed. Now throw in the fact that new Sw entertainment will continue to come almost every year and It then becomes easy to assume that there is a possibility the 3.75 line could totally disappear. That’s all I’m saying.

Reaction score
Im just getting back into SW figures after many years of absence. In Australia, we didnt get most of the new SA figures (From Force awakens onwards) which killed my interest for a long time. With the return of TVC and the Black Seires 3.75 figures becoming more available, I have managed to catch up on what Im after, and am happy to be back!
I grabbed Poes X-Wing and WOW, its a great toy! I have 9 of the original X-Wings, and like them just fine, but this one just knocks its socks off (Though the recent TVC Luke X-Wing had AMAZING paint work). I hope we get some more colors on Poes X-Wing; Id love to get his black and Orange one!
It has made me realize how many key figures are missing though. The rest of Rogue one, a bunch of resistance pilots, modern movie Han and Leia in their TFA costumes... I hope these all come in time. Im happy we're getting The Mandalorian, thats cool. :)

Anyhway, just wanted to chime in and say happy to be back collecting again. Been enjoying the new Star Wars as much as I liked the old ones and the EU, so having toys to match is nice. :)

Reaction score
The lower tier toy companies still do stuff. Nothing collector oriented unfortunately, but maybe good for custom fodder or just for the vehicles and accesories. Companies like Lanard have their product line "The Corps". Right now they have the Jumanji license. Last year it was Rampage, and Kong: Skull Island before that.

Walmart has that super cheap store brand called Kid Connection and another called Adventure Force.

Target has some Animal Planet toys and they picked up the True Heroes line that used to be at TRU.

Big Lots used to be more prominent with their military toys called World Peacekeeper, but you can find the same stuff online under "Cick N' Play".

Again, nothing that great or what would be considered a flagship toy line like Jurassic Park or Star Wars. Kind of bummed Hasbro doesn't do the Marvel 3.75" figures anymore.

Reaction score
Again, nothing that great or what would be considered a flagship toy line like Jurassic Park or Star Wars. Kind of bummed Hasbro doesn't do the Marvel 3.75" figures anymore.
Another sign... Marvel, owned by Disney now does not do 3.75. I hate the way it seems but some of these facts do make you think. Hasbro has always said that "great things" are coming and all type of nice stuff to reassure us but can they really say that the line is ending or 3.75 is ending? It seems strange and it has been for a few years now. Still last toy fair with the Bare release and the skiff and guards was a nice treat.

Reaction score
I doubt it, and if 3.75 comes to an end, hopefully Hasbro loses the license. They'd be throwing away a lot of income from a loyal collector base that will only buy that scale. As for 5 inch, I don't see that as the wave of the future, not only because kids don't care about action figures for the most part, but they're pegwarming everywhere, even those hideous gold painted figures are selling better.
Most of us had "Army Men" at some point when we were kids. There were the standard size ones, the micro sized ones, and the 6 inchers....how many kids loved the better detailed 6 inch? They become pretty boring when they cant be used with Pork Chop Hill, or a vehicle. A vehicle and playset Renaissance is needed....

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I loved as a kid - figures that interacted with playsets and vehicles. I do love micro ships too, but that's another conversation. Part of the draw for TVC is nostalgia, and buying the Jabba's Palace playset with figures is a perfect example of bringing us back to the Kenner days. There's simply nothing nostalgic about 5 or 6 inch figures for me, and I have no draw to those scales. As I've said many times, I don't care how many scales Hasbro offers, but the heritage scale that started it all is still the best seller for their company of all time - and likely the best selling movie franchise as well when it comes to action figures. They have to be smart, and remember the loyal fans that have been supporting them for decades. Many of those consumers are now parents, so they also buy for their kids. Try killing the 3.75 offerings, and they can say goodbye to those purchases as well.

Reaction score
Maybe these things run in cycles. They have for most of my life, anyway. Regardless, I don't think they'll kill 3.75" until all the old guys alive when it started die off. I know this--TVC brings higher prices on the second-hand market than the other scales (trust me--I check everyday).

Reaction score
So this is for anyone who has been keeping up with the Mandalorian....major TVC or HasLab item possibility in Episode 2

SPOILER BELOW:

HOLY SANDCRAWLER!...I really hope Hasbro takes this major opportunity to finally give us one at a beautiful scale. They can even make it in a Mandalorian box for all I care, though I think it would be smart to make it both ANH and Mando. This could be the first TVC item where one side of the box art feature the Mandalorian title and action figure staging, then the other side would be ANH style with the droid sale figures and such. Exclusive Uncle Owen figure!? They could include a couple awnings/tarps for the roof like in the show, but they could easily be removed for an ANH look. The front even opens in the show, no droid sucker was shown, but it's a great opportunity to get it made now having it in current media. I definitely didn't see that coming.

Reaction score
I’ll take anything and everything from Mando they want to give us.

Also, I hope they have a TVC Cal on deck, even if it’s a GameStop exclusive or something.

Reaction score
I know it was discussed a quite a bit a few months ago, but I am still anxiously waiting a new Rancor keeper. Heck, I'll take a straight reissue of the Legacy Collection one at this point!

bac

Reaction score
Hasbro clearly treats the 6" line as the current MAIN line. I am just glad 3.75" is still around, slow releases of new figs or not. Better than it being killed off totally
I'm actually glad for a little break before the next wave hits. It doesn't seem like it but TVC got a decent amount of product this year, including two all-new vehicles not counting the Barge delivery, two repaint vehicles, and an all-new playset.

What I'd like to see in 2020 is a greater emphasis on carded figures. The skiff 3-pack was a prime example of pulling this off with a new character and welcome repacks making debuts on TVC cards.

Reaction score
Well, that trick won't work. I gave the 6" figure line a try about 3 years ago and quickly lost interest and sold them all off by the next year. It's just not the same for me. I know what course others may take, but as for me; give me 3.75" or give me death!

I tried too. I really did. I actually had every 6” figure in my collection for the first year. But I had an epiphany on the way to a register one day with a couple of them in my hand and realized that I was buying them for completeness sake, and I was actually getting no joy out of it whatsoever. Yet, at that time, I would see a new 5POA 3.75” figure and feel that old excitement, even with the basic line. I knew then that 6” would never do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Trust, I hope that I'm wrong... but I could actually see a scenario where Hasbro goes with 5 and 6 inch, dropping SA 3.75 and just giving us Retro to pacify long time, hard core old collectors.
I’ve got empty shelves where 3.75” TVC was a few weeks ago and mountains of the 5” GOA figures collecting dust at the same locations that says otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I don't collect vehicles, but the playset really "made up" for the lacking figures. We rarely get a treat like that. I do hope the emphasis shifts to single carded figures though, as I'm not much for the multipacks, especially when you only get one new figure out of three. That's why I still don't own a Vedain. I've collected so long that I really cant buy anymore straight repacks.

Reaction score
I know it was discussed a quite a bit a few months ago, but I am still anxiously waiting a new Rancor keeper. Heck, I'll take a straight reissue of the Legacy Collection one at this point!
I think the Legacy figure is VC-worthy and Hasbro really couldn't do anything more to improve that figure. Whenever we see Rancor Keeper in the VC, I am sure it will just be a repack of the Legacy one with a photo-real head. I think the best chance of getting him would be in a playset as a pack-in.

Reaction score
I forgot that Malakili wasn't in TVC and was in Legacy instead. He's still part of the 92 I hope he'd get done eventually. I love the Legacy figure myself, it's pretty darn perfect.

Reaction score
The Legacy Collection has A BUNCH of greatest hits that would look incredible on a TVC cardback! Hasbro has a slew of possibilities for Legacy repacks that would be gleefully welcomed by collectors as the originals are WAY expensive on the secondary market. Examples include:

-Malikili w/ updated photo real tech
-Hrchek Kal Fas (with corrected eyes)
-PT Owen & Beru w/ new photo-real OT heads
-ROTJ Sandstorm heroes
-Yarna w/ photo-real update
-Brainiac
-Wioslea
-Ugnaughts (running change)
-Rum Sleg
-Giran
-Nikto Gunner
-Leesub Sirln
-Willrow Hood
-Bespin Guard w/ updated mustachioed photo-real head

...OMG the possibilities! C'mon Hasbro dig those molds out of storage and get busy!

Reaction score
The Legacy Collection has A BUNCH of greatest hits that would look incredible on a TVC cardback! Hasbro has a slew of possibilities for Legacy repacks that would be gleefully welcomed by collectors as the originals are WAY expensive on the secondary market. Examples include:

-Malikili w/ updated photo real tech
-Hrchek Kal Fas (with corrected eyes)
-PT Owen & Beru w/ new photo-real OT heads
-ROTJ Sandstorm heroes
-Yarna w/ photo-real update
-Brainiac
-Wioslea
-Ugnaughts (running change)
-Rum Sleg
-Giran
-Nikto Gunner
-Leesub Sirln
-Willrow Hood
-Bespin Guard w/ updated mustachioed photo-real head

...OMG the possibilities! C'mon Hasbro dig those molds out of storage and get busy!
I get it guys. We ultimately want Hasbro to keep VC the line going and get more stuff out for our collections but I want new stuff, new sculpts and new excitement from OT. Hasbro has moved the goal post again and again and we all seem to have fallen for it. While my 3.75 SA remains the focus of my collection, I am more excited about the possibilities in Retro collection, which is another one of Hasbro's figure lines that utilizes 95% old sculpts, but at least we know we are due at least one new sculpt in the line. Are we as confident about getting new OT sculpts in the VC line? I don't think so.

Reaction score
I get it guys. We ultimately want Hasbro to keep VC the line going and get more stuff out for our collections but I want new stuff, new sculpts and new excitement from OT. Hasbro has moved the goal post again and again and we all seem to have fallen for it. While my 3.75 SA remains the focus of my collection, I am more excited about the possibilities in Retro collection, which is another one of Hasbro's figure lines that utilizes 95% old sculpts, but at least we know we are due at least one new sculpt in the line. Are we as confident about getting new OT sculpts in the VC line? I don't think so.
I have everything in the ot already. I need more figures from the new movies. Only thing ot I n need at this point is vechicles and ships.

Reaction score
I have everything in the ot already. I need more figures from the new movies. Only thing ot I n need at this point is vechicles and ships.
New movies are meh but the figures from the movies are OK. However, they are not whats going to keep this line alive IMO. Me, I've finally got my dream collection room and about 50% of my stuff displayed so I do not want the line to end. I am just really concerned about the health of the line.

Someone made a good point earlier and said the maybe Hasbro is on like cruise control until the license is extended before they put more resources into VC. I can live with that. Until then, we have about a year to suffer with lack lust repacks and ok looking new media items.

Reaction score
The OT is essential for both Retro and TVC, and while Retro can be entirely made up of OT characters, TVC cannot. TVC actually needs to be representative of new media more so if the line is going to thrive. Repacking old OT figures isn't going to satisfy the demand for 3.75 figures from new movies and the eager fans that love the scale. Next year should be ROS and Mando heavy, with some OT fan favorites sprinkled in.

Reaction score
The OT is essential for both Retro and TVC, and while Retro can be entirely made up of OT characters, TVC cannot. TVC actually needs to be representative of new media more so if the line is going to thrive. Repacking old OT figures isn't going to satisfy the demand for 3.75 figures from new movies and the eager fans that love the scale. Next year should be ROS and Mando heavy, with some OT fan favorites sprinkled in.
I do agree, this is smart business, although selfishly I want all OT all day long. But I think if Hasbro could simply use the rule that for every OT repack they make a brand new or re-done OT figure, I'd be happy. Each wave would at least have one smart OT repack and one brand new sculpted OT figure and I could easily get behind that. Plenty of spots still for new media in between.

Reaction score
Re missing spoiler. Yes there was. Mando used it to get on.
I didn't catch that - I thought he grabbed on some random hand hold. But even better if he did (if they DO make it, it would certainly have that feature), I'll have to rewatch it. I also meant more so that you don't see the feature "in action" and being used for its purpose, like in the movie.

Reaction score
I think the Legacy figure is VC-worthy and Hasbro really couldn't do anything more to improve that figure. Whenever we see Rancor Keeper in the VC, I am sure it will just be a repack of the Legacy one with a photo-real head. I think the best chance of getting him would be in a playset as a pack-in.
Well, we’ve got a good start with Jabba’s palace...time for Hasbro to add the basement :)

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I want new characters and sculpts too! I'm just saying that if Hasbro is going to do re-packs, there's a lot more options than just repacking the same trooper sculpt three times in six months.

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I want new characters and sculpts too! I'm just saying that if Hasbro is going to do re-packs, there's a lot more options than just repacking the same trooper sculpt three times in six months.
If hasbro only listens to the people who think they should only make ot items then they are doomed. Star Wars is much bigger than the ot now. Ignoring that and catering to the narrow minded people only would be ignoring most of their assets.