The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
According to Stan in one of the TVC groups on Facebook the Jawa is a new sculpt. Hopefully he's right.
I will literally bet my whole collection that it’s not a new sculpt. It’ll be a Black Series repack, like virtually every TVC release since the relaunch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So are you telling me that they are reissuing that odd giraffe neck looking Ceremony Leia on TVC card the one that was just released not that long ago? :rolleyes:
Another pass...

They're making it really difficult to stay interested.

Reaction score
I strongly believe that it will be the Black Series giraffe Leia. All their latest releases have been Red-Box Black Series (there were 29 “Phase III” Black Series in the thick red box, and they’re ALL showing up in the TVC relaunch):

Jakku Rey (Black Series)
TFA Jedi Master Luke (Black Series)
Kylo Ren (Black Series)
Phasma (Black Series)
Scarif Squad Leader (Black Series)
Imperial Death Trooper (Black Series)
Jyn (Black Series)
Cassian (Black Series)
First Order Stormtrooper (Black Series)
Elite Praetorian Guard (Black Series)
ANH Chewbacca (Black Series)
Pilot Poe (Black Series)

That’s 12 of 29 red boxers they’ve repacked in the relaunch. Rey was the first figure of the TVC relaunch, at #116. If you count to the latest numbered figure (technically R2-D2, #149), that’s 34 TVC figures in the relaunch. You can throw in Hoth Rebel Trooper, Leia Boussh, Ree-Yees, that R2, as well as the “mains” face repaint wave, as pure repacks. Virtually EVERY “new” TVC has been a repack or a repaint; the two Scarif Troopers are essentially the same figure. They were going to repack the 2007 TAC Darth Revan, before thinking again.

Anyway, of the remaining 29 red boxers, basically all the rest ALREADY were repacks from the first run of TVC—Ackbar, Ahsoka, Han Endor, Lando General, Vader, Ponda Boba—heck, the Tusken Raider was a 2006 VTSC repack.

There’s the older carded Black Series, from before the red box, which they must start cannibalizing to get “new” TVC slots (they can’t repack any more red boxers, because most of them ALREADY came from TVC).

They must go back to Black Series Phases I and II to find repacks:

New Yavin Luke (a nice new face repaint, but still a Phase I/Phase II Black Series).

I don’t know what the new Han in Carbonite from the Jabba’s Palace Adventure Set looks like, but I do know there was a Black Series “Phase II” Han in Carbonite. I would guess that it’s just a repaint, or maybe a new head (but essentially a repack).

Vizam is also from the Black Series (“Phase I”).

Does anyone think that the new Jawa and Ceremony Leia (one from the old carded Black Series, one from the red box) are suddenly going to be new sculpts?

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I find it annoying that with so many repacks, I haven't seen most of those figures in stores in any of their packages.

Reaction score
Yeah, since TVC is predominantly a repack / repaint line, I'd be shocked if the Jawa and Leia are brand new sculpts. I actually don't think the ceremony Leia qualifies for TVC - her lower body is a statue. TVC is a premium line with super articulation, right? Its the same issue why so many didn't want Revan to be repacked as-is. I actually bought that Leia...because its Leia, but the figure isn't great, and frankly should be much better for TVC. As for the Jawa, not sure how they're going to get away with charging the TVC pricepoint for a single Jawa, when the TBS 3.75 line gave us two - hopefully it has a big accessory. TVC really isn't a good value when you factor in all the rehashes. I don't mind paying MSRP for brand new sculpts / characters, but some of these upcoming figures are pushing it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a whole separate problem (finding them in stores)! They ARE making it hard to stay interested.

Anyway, here’s my predictions (I’m guessing the tall Jawa):

Dudes, they repacked a 2008 Hoth Trooper and were going to do a 2007 Revan. Why would anyone think that they won’t repack the Ceremony Gown Leia, which is straight from their favorite repack source, 2015’s red box series?

Look, it’s possible that you might see something new—but HIGHLY, HIGHLY UNLIKELY! Almost every new TVC announcement is something from the Black Series. We’re already getting Zorii and Knight of Ren—that’s WAY, WAY more newness than they want to offer.

They’ve been using the “vintage-style card” excuse for a long while (“look, guys—um, we realize that we’ve already given you this figure several times—but never yet on a vintage-style card! Hurray!”).

I love the TVC cards and definitely wish the 92-fig collectors the best. I was all for the Black Series Ree-Yees and Han Carbo repacks, because it let them cross those guys off their list. And so with this Black Series Jawa. But they’re running out of options to use for that particular repack gimmick.

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
We’re already getting Zorii and Knight of Ren—that’s WAY, WAY more newness than they want to offer.
A little heavy on the doom and gloom in my opinion. Sith Jet Trooper is all-new. As is Rey.

There's new media around the corner and anything new will revolve around that for the immediate future. Marketing 101 as far as retail is concerned.

New characters and repacks such as Leia, Luke(s), Jawa(s?); all characters that appear in this holiday season's new media in some shape or form.

The line doesn't survive without some repacks. They are cost effective to counter more expensive all-new figures.

Hopefully Hasbro will continue to improve upon repacks such as Luke Yavin, Poe and Luke X-Wing. The face print tech and separate molded hair where applicable makes a world of difference.

Imagine Death Star Briefing using the more modern Imperial Officer body and face print tech on TVC cards in separate 3-packs?

Or Wuher with face print tech on a TVC card? Even a straight up Garindan repack on a TVC card.

All welcome repacks to me, and countless others to choose from.

Mix the like of those in over time with all-new figures and I'm a happy camper.

Reaction score
Seriously? Rey and Sith Jet Trooper? So, that’s four new figures for the last Skywalker movie instead of two? Do you realize what you just said?

Death Star Briefing? All seven of them? Wuher? Have you heard something, because I haven’t. You might as well have said Dash Rendar and Jaxxon.

Look, you’re right. It shouldn’t rile anybody up. I should be grateful for 25 year of figures. I AM grateful, and hope they keep the license.

But the repacks! My lord, the repacks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here are the new figures (non-repacks) from the boxed Black Series line:

Kylo Ren (repacked)
FO Stormtrooper (repacked)
Ceremony Leia (future repack)
Poe Dameron (repack)
Finn
Rey (repack)
Han Solo Starkiller Base
Leia TFA gown
Phasma (repack)
Jyn Erso (repack)
Death Trooper (repack)
Cassian (repack)
Scarif Trooper (repack)
Praetorian Guard (repack)
Luke Jedi Master (repack)
Rose
FO Stormtrooper Executioner

That's 17 new figures in the line, and all but 5 will have been repacked in TVC. The only ones not to be repacked were the obvious duds - Finn, Solo and Leia TFA, and Rose.

I've mentioned this before (it's all speculation on my part, but probably pretty close to accurate), but back when they announced TVC was returning, they actually had nothing in the pipeline for it. They had intended for BS to continue through Solo with two waves, one in the winter/spring of 18 that included Snoke and Rey Island Journey, and one for the Solo launch that included Han, Range Trooper, Enfys Nest, and Mimban trooper. The TVC launch meant they had to put full waves of 12 together so they strung those figures out with a bunch of repacks. On top of that, they had to throw WM a bone for taking away their exclusive line, and gave Mimban and Rey to them as exclusives. That watered down the cases even more.

TVC really isn't doing anything different than BS box did. We got 9 figures for TFA, but only 4 each for the subsequent movies. Unfortunately, we no longer have the Basic line to fortify those numbers.

Reaction score
That’s actually a great point. They maybe had to repack because there weren’t any new options ready. But everyone knows that really they’re just being cheap.

Yes, toys were filling a different social role back in 2006-2012. But not THAT different. Kids had phones and computers and video games back then, too. Also, 2008 and 2009 saw the worst US financial crisis since the Depression, and we were getting guys like the Solo Twins, Rum Sleg, and Fi-Ek Sirch (plus like 100 others).

It’s not really a kid-interest or financial problem. They’re investing PLENTY of this rare toy money in 6” and 5” and Mr. Potato Vader or what have you. They just don’t want to do TVC.

But they gave us the Barge! Wrong—we gave us the Barge.

All those things ARE truly factors, but are MERELY factors. There is NO REASON that The Freaking Rise of Skywalker (The Actual Rise of Skywalker—let’s think about what that really means, culturally, after 40 years) should only be getting four new figures.

The next time I hear someone say repacks keeps the line alive, I will go OFF. They NEVER had to use them this much before, and are investing PLENTY of money in other things now.

Reaction score
I wonder how much of it stems back to the users and websites that said, "put anything on a TVC cardback, and we'll buy it". Hasbro ran with that. We know they're cheap, and want to use the least amount of new tooling as possible, but the ratio of brand new figures in the TVC revival is **** poor. We can be vocal about it, but the only thing that will make a significant impact is sales data. The Retro Collection sold very well - more will be produced. The TVC playset soldout - I expect to see more. With TVC though, the repacks and repaints are part of the main line in most instances, so if those sell poorly, Hasbro's stunted logic will lead them to believe interest in TVC is low. The best thing to do is buy what you like, but don't feel obligated to buy repacks that don't interest you - Hasbro will get the message eventually.

Reaction score
Like it or not repacks have their place. We never minded them. Back in the kenner days we would constantly get them with each new movie...but all were available at any given time, save for upgraded figures. I say make new waves all new figures, and keep the backlog as internet available.

Reaction score
Ha, I am one of those people who would buy it if they repacked it. I only buy TVC so if they repacked anything that was non TVC I am in.

Reaction score
The truth is, repacks actually CAN be great. I certainly didn’t complain about the Gamorrean. There are lots of cool past figures that many of us would like to see again.

But during a media blitz featuring the last Skywalker movie and the first-ever live series, you’d think they’d give us something new, not years-old bad Leias and rehash Jawas.

Repacks sustain the line? A Ceremony Leia and a Jawa help make new figures possible? I thought the new movie and television show did that. Please.

bac

Reaction score
Seriously? Rey and Sith Jet Trooper? So, that’s four new figures for the last Skywalker movie instead of two? Do you realize what you just said?
I do, and hope that we get more. The first offering for a new film is always high profile characters that are plastered all over the marketing. Sio Bibble aside.

If we don't get more beyond the regular Sith Trooper in Wave 2 then that's just wrong. But I'd hope to get more of the secondary/spoiler characters into next year. The home video release is another tie-in.

These aren't the glory days anymore so I don't expect a massive wave of all-new sculpt figures from Hasbro at any time. Repacks balance the costs.

For all we know Hasbro is being super conservative with TVC after Wave 1 destroyed retail. I'm sure the bean counters loved that. We'll never know, of course.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Not sure if this is newsworthy but my TRU had a full peg of Gammies ($17?). They also had Stormie Han ($9.99)
And for the first time ever, Single Resistance TV figures (wouldn't scan but turned out to be $9.something.)

Reaction score
Luke X Wing still coming according to Yakface which will be my priority but i'm happy for any X Wing to get made in this scale. Looks really nice!

Reaction score
Right, Yakface is saying that Luke's X-Wing is still coming and with pilot Luke being packed 2x in Wave 1, I think that pretty much confirms it's still coming. Poe's X-Wing is ok, but I'll have to see what Hasbro all has planned for the fall line-up before deciding whether to get it or not. Luke's X-Wing is my #1 fall priority.

Reaction score
Luke X Wing still coming according to Yakface which will be my priority but i'm happy for any X Wing to get made in this scale. Looks really nice!
Ah, OK. I was thinking this was the one X-wing that we heard was coming from TVC that was rumored to be Luke's X-wing. So, we're getting Poe's and Luke's. That's a win-win in my book. I'll be getting both

Reaction score
My only concerns would really be two things. For one the price tag. I can definitely see people waiting for price reductions which I can understand. The other thing is that I think having two TVC X-Wings (Luke's X-Wing in TVC is still coming) on the shelves at the same time might not have been the smartest decision. I think it would've been smarter to do one X-Wing and one other vehicle that's not an X-Wing.
Yes, I would have preferred them doing a different vehicle. I understand that Poe's X-Wing fits the film and all, but 2 X-Wings at the same time seems a bit much, unless it would have been Luke's and another Red Squadron X-Wing from ANH. The Luke's X-Wing is more important to me, but I might get Poe's as well.

Reaction score
The truth is, repacks actually CAN be great. I certainly didn’t complain about the Gamorrean. There are lots of cool past figures that many of us would like to see again.

But during a media blitz featuring the last Skywalker movie and the first-ever live series, you’d think they’d give us something new, not years-old bad Leias and rehash Jawas.

Repacks sustain the line? A Ceremony Leia and a Jawa help make new figures possible? I thought the new movie and television show did that. Please.
Ceremony Leia must have some connection with TROS - didn't we see a Yavin medal in the trailer? And if there are grey jawas coming in the Mandalorian then I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new episode 4 sculpted Jawa that they can reuse for an off world Jawa down the line.

Reaction score
Ceremony Leia must have some connection with TROS - didn't we see a Yavin medal in the trailer? And if there are grey jawas coming in the Mandalorian then I wouldn't be surprised if we got a new episode 4 sculpted Jawa that they can reuse for an off world Jawa down the line.
I don’t think there’s a connection. It’s just two Black Series figures that they can re-use. If the figures do happen to correspond tangentially to an appearing Yavin Medal or Mando Jawa (which I hope is true), then it’s just lucky for them. But, you know, characters about to appear prominently in the actual shows might work better TO PROMOTE THOSE ACTUAL SHOWS!