The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I agree, but some people will argue 3.75 can do and should do whatever 6 inch can because its only a 2 inch difference. But they're not just larger in height.
True. Often you are dealing with minimum thicknesses for parts made from plastic that you risk getting too thin simply going from 6" to 1:18 scale. While a part may be just fine in 6" scale simply shrinking it down may make the part too thin in areas such that you have to go with a totally different design.

Reaction score
Mission series Yoda is still the one to beat imo
OK looked it up on the Photo Archive, certainly not bad for a ROTS Yoda, but definitely not the sculpt of the puppet. Yoda never looks angry as the puppet, not to mention, he's being portrayed from a totally different movie. I'm talking about OT Yoda specifically, he's been done ad nauseam as Prequel Yoda. The OT ones have always been short changed outside of the one that could get split in half to go into Luke's backpack. He came with the swamp base piece and at least had cool accessories and display-ability. So as far as that Mission Series goes, it's not quite an improvement, but yes, a more proper green, though in the OT he's even paler.

Reaction score
Sorry. The one I got is The Last Jedi Force Link Yoda. I got it loose on eBay. Yeah, there are a lot of the Mission-style Yodas out there, and the recent Mission is the best of them. But the Force Link is the one I really love.

P.S.—I like my Yodas without flared action capes. I want a kind of salt-shaker style, and the Force Link does that best, I think. The Black Series one is nice, but somehow seems too small or delicate or something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK looked it up on the Photo Archive, certainly not bad for a ROTS Yoda, but definitely not the sculpt of the puppet. Yoda never looks angry as the puppet, not to mention, he's being portrayed from a totally different movie. I'm talking about OT Yoda specifically, he's been done ad nauseam as Prequel Yoda. The OT ones have always been short changed outside of the one that could get split in half to go into Luke's backpack. He came with the swamp base piece and at least had cool accessories and display-ability. So as far as that Mission Series goes, it's not quite an improvement, but yes, a more proper green, though in the OT he's even paler.
Youre not looking at the Yoda I’m referring to.

http://www.rebelscum.com/MS16-R2-D2-Yoda-Star-Wars-Rebels-Mission-Series-Hasbro.asp

Try that one out for size. Here’s the awesome thing about when this set dropped. $10 for Yoda and R2. Meanwhile the black series Yoda that came out at the same time was $13, had a worse likeness, horrible soft goods (and that’s just not my distaste for soft goods, evens fans of soft goods hated it) and not any more accessories. So for $3 less you got a better figure and he came with an R2 as an accessory! Not only that, but the R2 actually has one of the best panel sculpts of any R2. It’s hard to explain but if you look at your favorite R2 chances are the panels are represented by and indented section and the border is raised. This R2 has completely smooth panels with just the grooves carved in. Also the grasper arm is a fun feature.

Reaction score
We knew that some of these remaining OT slots would be repacks, and Chewie was long suspected. I can’t say that I’m terribly excited (since I have about 1,138 Chewbaccas and 7,720 R2s), but can’t say that I’m too surprised either. These will certainly be retail, and any new stuff will be convention exclusive.

Reaction score
I’d love to see them retackle ANH Han but I’m not a fan of the ball hip joints so I’m not sure I want to see how that figure turns out. I was never a fan of those votc Han legs.

Reaction score
I’d love to see them retackle ANH Han but I’m not a fan of the ball hip joints so I’m not sure I want to see how that figure turns out. I was never a fan of those votc Han legs.
The swivel hinge hips are gonna be on him, if he’s new. Hopefully he is, and my plan will be to slice those suckers off and replace them with the MTF German soldier legs from the WW2 Kickstarter.

Reaction score
The swivel hinge hips are gonna be on him, if he’s new. Hopefully he is, and my plan will be to slice those suckers off and replace them with the MTF German soldier legs from the WW2 Kickstarter.
I had to go look this up, because WWII is my other unhealthy addiction... :grin:

Reaction score
No more new OT figures in vintage guys. Party is over. I swear I can't see them renewing the license.

Reaction score
Just realised that Chewie and R2 bring us two figures closer to completing the first 12 on Star Wars cards. That could be why they're re-packing those two.
I guess technically they put these two out in the original VOTC in 2004 (or it was VTSC in 2006), but you’re right for sure—it’s nice for some people who don’t already own a bunch to have another chance at them. Who does that leave still needing done from the original 12?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess technically they put these two out in the original VOTC in 2004 (or it was VTSC in 2006), but you’re right for sure—it’s nice for some people who don’t already own a bunch to have another chance at them. Who does that leave still needing done from the original 12?
As official TVC numbered releases, Luke, Han, Leia, Jawa, Tusken and Obi Wan.

Reaction score
Just C-3PO and Jawa I think.

Reaction score
When Hasbro reveal a TVC repack, why on earth don’t they release an image of the packaging. Since that’s the only new part. What are they actually “revealing” if they don’t show that new part.
I would love to see what card the Chewbacca is coming on.

Reaction score
When Hasbro reveal a TVC repack, why on earth don’t they release an image of the packaging. Since that’s the only new part. What are they actually “revealing” if they don’t show that new part.
I would love to see what card the Chewbacca is coming on.
Agreed. If they're revealing a re-pack they should reveal the packaging at the same time so there's something new with the reveal. They showed off Phasma's packaging when they announced her re-pack a couple of cons ago and she's in the same wave as Chewie.

Reaction score
I'm OK with the Chewie repack, but I'm not OK with getting constant repacks that have no improvements made to them or extra accessories. At least give Chewie the mandibles that they "capture" him with and the longer Stormtrooper rifle which he ACTUALLY uses in ANH. Never uses his Bowcaster once until ROTJ, which always baffled me and pissed me off even as a kid. I'll give JJ credit for bringing it back to relevance, but it almost served as a joke in TFA rather than just being awesome.

Reaction score
Youre not looking at the Yoda I’m referring to.

http://www.rebelscum.com/MS16-R2-D2-Yoda-Star-Wars-Rebels-Mission-Series-Hasbro.asp

Try that one out for size. Here’s the awesome thing about when this set dropped. $10 for Yoda and R2. Meanwhile the black series Yoda that came out at the same time was $13, had a worse likeness, horrible soft goods (and that’s just not my distaste for soft goods, evens fans of soft goods hated it) and not any more accessories. So for $3 less you got a better figure and he came with an R2 as an accessory! Not only that, but the R2 actually has one of the best panel sculpts of any R2. It’s hard to explain but if you look at your favorite R2 chances are the panels are represented by and indented section and the border is raised. This R2 has completely smooth panels with just the grooves carved in. Also the grasper arm is a fun feature.
Gotcha, thank you for the link. As far as OT Yoda's go, his color is by far the best, but he still needs to be paler for sure. Also, look at the stupid anime cane again. It's cane ILM sculpted digitally for Yoda in the prequels, not even close to the stick cane he actually uses in ESB or ROTJ. At least they gave him the flashlight accessory. I just can't get behind this one being 5POA, it's crazy they haven't done better than this in the SA. The head sculpt is pretty spot on though I'll say.

Reaction score
Comparisons like that highlight why a number of us prefer the basic line. For $10, the Yoda was far superior, and you have an R2 to boot. I pre-ordered that TBS wave, and I was disappointed with Yoda and that dreadful Luke - SA alone simply doesn't make figures better. That TBS Yoda isn't even SA either, if they tried to repack it in TVC, they'd get nothing but complaints. For $13 a pop, they all need to be great, and tiny figures need added value. I love Yoda, so I buy nearly all of his releases, but when they put another one out there, the level of effort needs to go way up. I'm surprised they never retooled and repainted the Bogwing creature from the Complete Galaxy set, that would be a great accessory:

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2cgyoda.asp

Reaction score
My Walmart is nearly wiped out of all the wave 2/3 figures they had this past week. Only a couple Range Troopers and a Snoke left.

Reaction score
I finally got down to two R2’s. I have TVC bar R2 and the R2 from the Yoda mission series set. I’ll be getting a third when I get my R2 C-3PO 2-pack next month. And honestly that feels like too many.
You don't like any of the other unique / scene specific versions? The Battle of Yavin damaged version is one of my favorites:

http://www.rebelscum.com/tlcDF6.asp

I have to imagine for TVC though, it will be a repack of the sailbarge version, they'll need to include extra accessories to try and net some sales.

Reaction score
Wish they would do some new stuff like a VC Baze, Chirrut, K2-SO.

We still need various Jabba goons, an updated Pote Snitkin, Amanaman etc.

But no. Have another Chewbacca and R2 D2.

Reaction score
Comparisons like that highlight why a number of us prefer the basic line. For $10, the Yoda was far superior, and you have an R2 to boot. I pre-ordered that TBS wave, and I was disappointed with Yoda and that dreadful Luke - SA alone simply doesn't make figures better. That TBS Yoda isn't even SA either, if they tried to repack it in TVC, they'd get nothing but complaints. For $13 a pop, they all need to be great, and tiny figures need added value. I love Yoda, so I buy nearly all of his releases, but when they put another one out there, the level of effort needs to go way up. I'm surprised they never retooled and repainted the Bogwing creature from the Complete Galaxy set, that would be a great accessory:

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2cgyoda.asp
I'm in 100% agreement with all of this. I appreciate that the 5POA give a greater value, especially in 2 pack form, but let's be honest, Hasbro simply regressed when they decided to retroactively stunt the natural trend and growth of their superior articulated line and went for the quick cash grab. It just frustrates me to no end that for all those wonderfully sculpted 5POA figures, we could have had immense tooling and resources poured into TVC where it's far more deserved. The BS Yoda and Luke were certainly awful, though I give Hasbro credit for at least trying something different in regards to the Luke with his double jointed arms. If that can be hidden better, I'd have loved it. I have been impressed with 5POA since they did the Jedi Master Luke figure for TLJ. Such an impressive head sculpt, but I think they simply reused the one they made for TVC, so not sure which came first. The new R2 and C-3PO set with weathering might be the nicest pair of the two figures I've ever seen. That level of detail should be taken for any new 3POs or R2's in TVC. Something has to be new for me to buy them.

Good call on the Bogwing, watching ESB the other day and I finally took more notice of those flying creatures and also had been cruising the old photo archives and saw that opening planet with Yoda. Didn't realize that flying figure could be taken out of the top half. Definitely a cool and rarer SW figure, would be great to see Yoda packed with one and a snake too to throw it back to the original Kenner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah. It is a letdown. I was expecting repacks but not of ANH R2 or Chewbacca. Now a "Solo" Chewbacca I could understand. But that would not be a repack. I understand Leia Boushh and Han Stormtrooper. I am surprised they havent capitalized on a Luke Stormtrooper repack yet.
I am still hoping we get a Luke Endor at some point with Bib Fortuna. I dont know if we will get Sim Aloo and the like. Ever.

Reaction score
I’m down for the ANH chewie as I like the head sculpt and the paint is better than the BS release. But R2 is the biggest ripoff...especially considering he comes with less features. It’s great for carded collectors but that’s literally the only reason to buy it. So you’ve managed to alienate openers which are the larger group of collectors.

Reaction score
Yeah. It is a letdown. I was expecting repacks but not of ANH R2 or Chewbacca. Now a "Solo" Chewbacca I could understand. But that would not be a repack. I understand Leia Boushh and Han Stormtrooper. I am surprised they havent capitalized on a Luke Stormtrooper repack yet.
I am still hoping we get a Luke Endor at some point with Bib Fortuna. I dont know if we will get Sim Aloo and the like. Ever.
A Hasbro employee did comment on Sim Aloo, saying he was coming sooner rather than later - whatever the hell that means. I imagine it translates into: he is on the short list of OT characters to release. I still hope that he is one of the unannounced 2019 figures. They really need more fan favorites in TVC if they want the longtime collectors to buy into the line.

Reaction score
The only way this figure is even worthwhile is if he is packed to the gills with accessories. I'm sick of TVC figures getting the total shaft on accessories. We pay $13 for a freaking droid that we can still buy in other formats, for less! This is simply the same one in the 5POA 2 pack with 3PO as someone stated previously. That 2 pack is pretty darn awesome. I'm actually curious if this R2 will still have a Force Link chip in it. Might be cheaper just to keep making it the way it is and not cost effective for Hasbro.

IF (huge IF here) he comes with accessories, we better get ANH specific ones - magnetic restraining bolt, extender arm for reading Death Star plans, Princess Leia blue hologram plus lights (that AREN'T ORANGE!) and sounds. The very least they could do has been done already - new deco.

Reaction score
O course he's coming sooner rather than later, likely because Later isn't coming like originally thought...

Agreed bout Pote Snitkin, been wanting an update for years on that one as well! Truthfully the 5PoA K2S0 is just fine, Chirrut it the only one that really needs SA. As well as a few others.

You don't like any of the other unique / scene specific versions?
I do. But after 20-30 years of reissues and it's still hasn't been released. I'm absolutely done with R2!
We all know which version it is too, the accurate Hoth "Sensorscope"! When they finally release that, or even the "bells & whistles" version. That's when I'll decide to buy another version/release.

ANH R2 and Chewie are two steps closer to completing the original 12 so I'm guessing that's why Hasbro chose to re-pack them. .
IMP, with all the other figures in the line. It makes all that moot, it would only matter if they were all numbered the same as the original 12.
They can doom this line all hey like with those decisions, painting yourself into that box is ludicrous.

If peoaple really wanted/needed that, they should have just done them all at once!

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they can pack an $8 figure into a $13 "premium" line (as they call it). I suppose we'll see how collectors respond when the figure is on pegs. R2 is a popular character, but collectors have enough of the droid, and what kid, parent, or gift giver is going to spend that much on a tiny figure? The same goes for a repack like Revan, that's a $7-8 figure, and with no retooling, I'm not sure how it falls into the category of a premium figure release. The collectors that begged Hasbro to bring this line back should hold them accountable, and discuss these issues at the various cons they're making these reveals at...
Revan might be a repack, but we all know that it's going to fly off the shelves. The TAC version can go for upwards of $100 on the secondary market. In my opinion, it's a great addition to the line because it can give new and old collectors a chance at getting it for a reasonable price. Not to mention it's a really great figure in terms of design and sculpt, and has a rich history in the collecting circle. It's a premium figure in my book.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they can pack an $8 figure into a $13 "premium" line (as they call it). I suppose we'll see how collectors respond when the figure is on pegs. R2 is a popular character, but collectors have enough of the droid, and what kid, parent, or gift giver is going to spend that much on a tiny figure? The same goes for a repack like Revan, that's a $7-8 figure, and with no retooling, I'm not sure how it falls into the category of a premium figure release. The collectors that begged Hasbro to bring this line back should hold them accountable, and discuss these issues at the various cons they're making these reveals at...
Many of the collectors that begged Hasbro to bring this line back were yelling at Hasbro to just take the Black Series peg warmers and stick them on vintage cards "because they'd definitely sell". So Hasbro heard them loud and clear and this is the result.

Reaction score
All I remember is collectors complaining about the 500th Vader figure and how they should have released the ANH Vader from TVC or the ROTS from the black series. Any all new Vader that hadn’t been released a ton of times already. I also remember people complaining about the head sculpt on luke and the innacurate robe that still hadn’t been fixed. Chewie just felt like a why release as well because the headsculpt wasn’t even new. That whole wave of a whopping three figures was just pointless

bac

Reaction score
The new TVC line is not entirely repacks. Several all-new sculpts are already announced for 2019 with more to come. We quickly forget about Yak-Face, Klaatu, Death Star Gunner, etc.

Yes, there are several repacks. And without seeing Hasbro's budget or P&Ls on this line its subjective to say they are necessary or not.

One has to imagine based purely on a logical assumption the line wouldn't survive without repacks given the poor state of 3.75" action figure at big box retail. If we're going to get them, let them fill voids -- some for carded collectors i.e. Chewy and R2, others for openers/don't care folks like Revan and Gamorrean Guard.

I truly believe this line would thrive best as an all-HasLab exclusive, and I'd be shocked if Hasbro weren't already looking into a form of this for the more obscure new-sculpt characters we ALL want that historically crash and die at retail.

Reaction score
Many of the collectors that begged Hasbro to bring this line back were yelling at Hasbro to just take the Black Series peg warmers and stick them on vintage cards "because they'd definitely sell". So Hasbro heard them loud and clear and this is the result.
That's Awesome news, they listen to fans on stupid ideas and roll with it. Yet when it really matters on something important, they take it under advisement and never do anything! lol

Heck, it took them 20 years just to repack Revan! I know it's only been ten, but it feels like 20.

The new TVC line is not entirely repacks. Several all-new sculpts are already announced for 2019 with more to come. We quickly forget about Yak-Face, Klaatu, Death Star Gunner, etc.

Yes, there are several repacks. And without seeing Hasbro's budget or P&Ls on this line its subjective to say they are necessary or not.
Those new figures aren't quickly forgotten, because they're the only reason we even care anymore! And a 2-10 ratio isn't that great, so...
It's not so much the repack itself, but who it is. R2 is a perfect example of unneeded versus so many that are. Hasbro isn't winning any favor with a $6 figure in a $13 "Premium Line" as they call it.IMO, it's probably the worst offender, at least Rey, Phasma etc. have articulation to explain the expense. Not to mention he's already been released numerous times in 5POA, and should continue to remain there!

With as much trouble AF line is in already, they don't need to add reasons for the demise. And moves like this are going to cause it very swiftly, regardless of the 5 people who want ANH Carded R2 for nostalgic reasons. While it is a repack and doesn't garner as much expense as a new figure, having it languish at retail will not be helping the line in the long run. It will most likely wind up at clearance or those wholesale stores a few years later. thus telling retail Star Wars isn't the powerhouse is used to be.

If they want to do stuff like this to keep it retail viable, fine. But it's apparent we need a true "Collectors Line" sole via HTS, or Haslab that makes the figures we are really after. If people are willing to pay alost $20 to get them online anyways, why not?!

Reaction score
Hmmm, Steve Evans is teasing the release of something soon with a picture of Red Leader and the caption 'Almost there' on his Instagram page. Blue Leaders X Wing from Rogue One? Vader's TIE from ANH? Death Star playset?

Reaction score
If they want to do stuff like this to keep it retail viable, fine. But it's apparent we need a true "Collectors Line" sole via HTS, or Haslab that makes the figures we are really after. If people are willing to pay alost $20 to get them online anyways, why not?!
Yip, I would much rather this. We would also be getting figures way quicker rather than a year behind in some cases or not showing up at retail at all. Give retail the repacks. If they were smart they could even repack the ultimate Luke ANH etc, they make for HasLab to retail in a year or 2 after and make even more money off the sculpts we fund for them.

Reaction score
Those same collectors can be blamed when the line goes back on hiatus. ;) Hasbro should keep in mind the discount outlets that are selling SA 3.75 TBS figures for $2.99 - a number of which are repacks. Is a piece of cardboard going to make all the difference? I doubt it, but we'll have to wait and see. So far, Target stores across the US have pegs warming with TVC wave 1 repacks. With TRU gone, if Target gets stuck with a single wave, and stops ordering more, it can cripple the line at retail. At the very least, with repacks being inevitable, they should be short packed, and not carried forward, to minimize the clogging of pegs.