The Vintage Collection - General Toy Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Re: The Vintage Collection (2010 Basic Line)

GNT said:
Memnoch21 said:
I dont see why everyone is being complicated about this. Hasbro is calling it Vintage so The Vintage Collection/TVC makes the most logical sense. Then again some folks have problems with simple logic.
TVC seems to fit with other titles we've had over the years, maybe even V10 for "Vintage 2010"
Coulda had a V10...

Reaction score

Ok, I'm not really understanding this but is the Vintage line gonna replace the basic line and be all OT for a couple months?

Reaction score

Rossk said:
Ok, I'm not really understanding this but is the Vintage line gonna replace the basic line and be all OT for a couple months?
The vintage line will BE the new basic line, but it will not be all OT. There will be PT figures released on vintage-style cards as well.

Reaction score

For the first time ever, after reading some of the new Q&As, I'm a little worried about the line. The Vintage line has all the makings of a hit so far. I just hope it works. I know I'll be buying extras to keep carded simply out of nostalgia.

Reaction score

I hope the vintage style stays for a long, long time. Even when they shift over to the non-themed waves. If Hasbro was smart, they would, cuz lots of people are going to be buying doubles. Only thing I'm worried about is the news that the punch will be the same as the original vintage cards. That means kids, parents, and card-bending douches will be ripping them off the pegs and leaving a lot of destroyed cards lying around.

Reaction score

my_kind_of_scum said:
Rossk said:
The vintage line will BE the new basic line, but it will not be all OT. There will be PT figures released on vintage-style cards as well.
Ok, good. Now I'm not all pissed at Hasbro. Atleast there'll be some PT in the mix

Reaction score

I always find hasbro's painted samples weird. Like the way they're "photoshopped" it always comes out like too high contrast and shadowed. It's hard to tell what the figures are actually like based on those ugly pics. I wait for the high res pics

Reaction score

EmperorPalpitate said:
I hope the vintage style stays for a long, long time. Even when they shift over to the non-themed waves. If Hasbro was smart, they would, cuz lots of people are going to be buying doubles. Only thing I'm worried about is the news that the punch will be the same as the original vintage cards. That means kids, parents, and card-bending douches will be ripping them off the pegs and leaving a lot of destroyed cards lying around.
I think the big question is whether they will indeed be put on pegs, since they are collector focused and hasbro knows how particular we are about the condition of the carbacks, or will they have a cardboard display that can sit on the shelf. If the people at Hasbro were smart they would skip the pegs and use the cardboard display. It woulld look attractive to kids and collectors, would give that much more space on the pegs to the Clone Wars figures, and would help keep the Vintage style cardbacks from being destroyed.

Reaction score

Shelf space is a premium, peg space not so much. I'd say these will go right on the pegs and if you want unpunched cards - best to order cases online.

Reaction score

I'm excited for this line and the onslaught of OT figures. I also feel that this particular line truly depends on the collector. If CW was to be the primary focus and film waves/characters took a backseat, I'd be done. I've been with Kenner/Hasbro from the very beginning of POTF2; I've grown up with this line, this run. A cold day it would be when no film figures were to be found on the pegs.

Reaction score

Man, I can't wait to see what these cards look like.

Reaction score

Grendel said:
Man, I can't wait to see what these cards look like.
I know. I expected an image to be released before toy fair because of the "very soon" post in the news and rumors thread last week. Guess very soon means something else and I am too impatient.
Honestly, I am most excited to see some prequel figures on these cards. That's what I've been wanting to see since '99.

Reaction score

my_kind_of_scum said:
Honestly, I am most excited to see some prequel figures on these cards. That's what I've been wanting to see since '99.
same here

I'm giddy to see the Attack of the Clones logo on the retro card style, it's going to be profoundly awesome to FINALLY have prequel characters on classic packaging.

Reaction score

Wookie_inked said:
my_kind_of_scum said:
same here

I'm giddy to see the Attack of the Clones logo on the retro card style, it's going to be profoundly awesome to FINALLY have prequel characters on classic packaging.
I've got nothing but a belly full of hate for those prequels, and even I think that it's going to look awesome. (The character/costume designs were NOT the problem with those... things. In fact, they were the best part of them.)

Reaction score

I'm of the opinion now that the packaging is just that- the wrapper the figure/vehicle comes in. I don't mind at all the current 'red' cardbacks. I thought the TAC packaging looked even better. I'm old enought to remember the vintage figures on their original and POTF cardbacks. I suppose there is a nostalgia for that period.

I have lots of love for my vintage collection, and I always will. I still impress friends when I tell them I have the original Millenium Falcon toy! But that was then, and the modern line really is that much better. I don't care what the packaging looks like as long as I get super-realistic looking, articulated OT/PT/EU action figures.

Reaction score

Here is some BIG(and good) news on the lifespan of the Vintage Collection:

http://hanshideout.blogspot.com/

1) The 2010 Saga Legends basic figure line - will the cardbacks look like the recently revealed Clone Wars "Rex and Sky" cardbacks or will they look like the uh, "well-kept secret" 2010 movie line cardbacks? Or will they have a look all their own?

** The Saga Legends cardbacks - a primarily kid-targeted line - will follow the new black/blue line look. The return of Vintage, in a new format without the clam-shell, will have its own standalone line look. Many of the classic characters appearing in Saga Legends will also, if they have not already, appear in the new Vintage line which is planned to be an ongoing line that will run at least two years.

John

Reaction score

Wookie_inked said:
my_kind_of_scum said:
same here

Oh boy - me too!!

The AOTC & ROTS logos mirror TESB & ROTJ, so we don't need to imagine too hard what they'll look like.. but some teaser pics woud sure be sweet nonetheless! I'm just relishing what an ALL NEW Jango's going to look like on the vintage card - along with Anakin, Padme, Maul, Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan! NOT TO MENTION - the old Kenner heavyweights & 'what ifs' as well!

Definitely good times ahead folks!

Reaction score

The more I hear, the more I like. This MIGHT be just enough to entice me back to Star Wars collecting (gave it up when Hasbro raised the price to a ludicrous £7.99 a fig...oh, and then forgot to send any new product to the UK for 12 months).

But a 2year life span? Dare I dream that this might finally be the "definitive" SW collection I've wanted for so long...

Having sold most of my modern figs, I'll be happy with (good) repacks alongside new figures if it means I can collect ONE Star Wars line and feel reasonably confident I'll get all the main characters in fairly definitive sculpts/iconic looks.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Reaction score

I am extremely excited about the news of the vintage packaging running at least two years. In fact, I think it could probably go for three. It will definitely be interesting to see how Hasbro handles how these cards will fit on the pegs. I'm hoping they don't have to be punched through. Number one, retailers won't like that. Number two, customers are gonna hate having to pull off the first 9 figures just to get to the one they want wayyyy in the back (I remember those days). They did mention any promotional stickers would have low-adhesive so that they could be easily peeled off. I'm wondering if these figures will have low-adhesive plastic j-hooks that attach to the back. Of course, that would increase the peg space needed to place these guys - something Hasbro probably doesn't want to do. I think the most logical solution is customized cardboard bins for TCV figs.

This should be a great strategy for bringing collectors back into the fold!

Reaction score

This is really going to be fun. Even with PT stuff. be cool to kind of FINALLY link the vintage look with the new stuff that have the picture cardbacks. Cardbacks for the lst 4-5 years have been dull and boring.

Reaction score

I have to say, I am stoked for Star Wars figures again for the first time since POTF2. Can't wait to see these! But I will be skipping all of the prequel figures. I don't like those films, and space is always an issue. (I admit, however, it will be neat to see them in vintage-style).

On one hand I'm thrilled the line will last two years. OTOH I'm annoyed at being pulled back into a line I thought I had safely left behind.

I'm not too concerned about the hole-punches (something like an unpunched card just strikes me as WAY too nerdy and anal-retentive). A punched card makes it seem more "real", like how you would have found them in stores back in the day.

My only concern is that the PT slots push out OT figures, and we're left with an incomplete lineup. I refer to the GI Joe 25th line, where they single-carded almost all the important figures, then skimped out on guys like Short-Fuze, Zap, Dr. Mindbender, Copperhead, Scrap-Iron, the Baroness, etc.

Reaction score

Definitely hyped about vintage lasting two years! Best business decision Hasbro has made in a long, long time. I'd love to see it run until 2018, but I'll settle for two years, heh. Man, the possibilities! Bespin Han, Death Star Droid, 2-1B, Bib Fortuna, Squid Head, Royal Guard, and so many other worthy candidates. Not to mention the first-time candidates like Tarkin and Wedge. Can't wait to see how this line plays out.

Reaction score

these will look cool. I for one will buy the odd extra to keep as a carded figure to diplay carded. I will really need to keep this under control though and not get too many......

Reaction score

Actually as a loose collector, I ain't usually bothered about the condition of the cards, however I will be interested in getting the cardbacks from all the OT figures, not bothered about the PT figures I get or for that matter EU (if it's going to last for two years, EU will be back next year).

Reaction score

VintijDroidGutzz said:
Wookie_inked said:
my_kind_of_scum said:
same here

Oh boy - me too!!

The AOTC & ROTS logos mirror TESB & ROTJ, so we don't need to imagine too hard what they'll look like.. but some teaser pics woud sure be sweet nonetheless! I'm just relishing what an ALL NEW Jango's going to look like on the vintage card - along with Anakin, Padme, Maul, Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan! NOT TO MENTION - the old Kenner heavyweights & 'what ifs' as well!

Definitely good times ahead folks!

Absolutely. I'm PRAYING, PRAYING!!!! we see 2 Luke Jedi figures in the line. One paying homage to the original Luke Jedi (Jabba's Palace) and one paying homage to DS2 Luke. Always would day dream as a kind about having those two versions on vintage cards.

Receiving most if not all 93 original figures?! FANTASTIC!!

Reaction score

It's funny reading about all of the fans who claim that they will ignore the Prequel characters on these upcoming vintage style cards.
I'm sure a lot of them are the same folks who for some reason put down the TAC cardbacks, only to rave about them once they got hooked at retail.

Reaction score

I'm wondering what the back of the card will be like as Hasbro has said the front of the card will be in vintage style. I'm thinking it will be more typical of the 'modern' cards, but it would be kind of cool to see tiny pictures of every figure for the year with the good old 'collect them all' callout.

Reaction score

Memnoch21 said:
Shelf space is a premium, peg space not so much. I'd say these will go right on the pegs and if you want unpunched cards - best to order cases online.
Um, no I think I'll just wait and see what actually happens when the Vintage line hits retail. But thanks for the unsolicited advice

Reaction score

I absolutely cannot wait for this! I may just have to become a carded completist!

It'll also be nice that the packaging shouldn't warp figures anymore...

Reaction score

DSIILuke said:
Is this from hasbro?? I have just speculated as much in the rumour thread.

Although it doesn't bother me at all, the pricing is a bit cheeky! The vintage cards do not need "designing" and the bubbles are a lot smaller with much less manpower required to place the figures into them than preposed ones. Conclusion - they save a shedload on the packaging and don't pass it on.

Reaction score

RebelTrooper said:
Yeah, if sales of this new Vintage Collection aren't good enough, then I don't know what Hasbro could do to improve sales as going to the Vintage style cardbacks already seems like their last ditch effort to save the line.

John
Personally they don't need gimmicks to try and sell this line, just make quality and accurate action figures of "new" characters! The figure should be the selling point not the package it comes in, everything I buy the packaging gets thrown away so it has little consequence in the choices I make. Yes the package attracts you while in the store it's supposed to draw you to the product, but honestly black doesn't draw much at all. I really can't see the cardback as what will save this line if it indeed is on life support witch I doubt.

Reaction score

It's probably already been pointed out, but one of the ancillary benefits of this line going to this style of packaging is that there will be a very clear separation from the other lines - which will be in the "blue sky" packages.

HOPEFULLY that will put an end to the CW and SL line overflowing the VC pegs.

I still maintain that's been one of the problems with TLC for the last couple of years is the commonality of the packaging.

'78

Reaction score

Bite your tongue, Since '78! Don't let Hasbro read that!
-- slowly waves hand --
There are no problems with the Star Wars line at the retail level!

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
I still maintain that's been one of the problems with TLC for the last couple of years is the commonality of the packaging.

'78
Is this one of the reasons why TAC didn't sell very well too, because they resembled the Legends line?

Reaction score

Masterfett said:
Since1978 said:

'78
Is this one of the reasons why TAC didn't sell very well too, because they resembled the Legends line?
I thought TAC sold well; it's with Legacy that the figures started selling poorly.

Reaction score

Darth_Satan said:
DSIILuke said:
Is this from hasbro?? I have just speculated as much in the rumour thread.

Although it doesn't bother me at all, the pricing is a bit cheeky! The vintage cards do not need "designing" and the bubbles are a lot smaller with much less manpower required to place the figures into them than preposed ones. Conclusion - they save a shedload on the packaging and don't pass it on.
Well, Hasbro has already cranked out 23 figures on Vintage cards, and 3 new figures are already confirmed (I won't count Bespin Luke twice).

That's 27 of the original 93 released so far. 66 figures remain -- over two years.

Hasbro can definitely crank out 66 figures over two years, with plenty of slots for new characters. Heck, the 30th Anniversary Collection had 75 Basic Figures (not counting Saga Legends!) and Legacy Collection has 118 basic figures from 2008-2010 -- with three different packaging formats! And that number doesn't even include Build-A-Droid or Saga Legends figures.

It can certainly be done, especially if this Vintage format extends beyond 2012.

Reaction score

TheRealDubya said:
GameSix said:
Well, Hasbro has already cranked out 23 figures on Vintage cards, and 3 new figures are already confirmed (I won't count Bespin Luke twice).
Go ahead and count him; he came on two distinct cardbacks

The two cardbacks would be cool to see. Ship Luke 2x per case with each cardback; I can get behind that!

Reaction score

Wookie_inked said:
my_kind_of_scum said:
same here

A hearty "amen" from me as well. I am very excited to see prequel figures on the vintage card style. I am also very excited that they are planning for at least 2 years of this card style!!

Reaction score

Committing to a vintage look for the cardbacks over the next TWO years has to rank as one of Hasbro's best decisions in the history of the modern line.

Bravo!