The SW Score Thread

Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to place this, but guys...this absolutely deserves a thread. Kinda shocking it never got one already. I don't often admit this, but about 75% of the music I listen to would be film scores/symphonic. What is among your favorite tracks in SW?

Mine? It has to be the asteroid field:

Reaction score

Mine too Max.

There's two parts I've always remembered since I was a kid and saw this in the cinema. The section at 1:18 - 1.34 and the one at 2.17 - 2.41.

Reaction score

Mine too Max.

There's two parts I've always remembered since I was a kid and saw this in the cinema. The section at 1:18 - 1.34 and the one at 2.17 - 2.41.
That;s the BEST PART! "You're not ACTUALLY going into an asteroid field?" "They;re be crazy to follow us, wouldn't they?" "Never tell me the odds!"

Reaction score
Yeh, it's brilliant. Makes me want to watch ESB now. 😁

It's funny, Williams produced so many outstanding pieces of signature movements when he composed the pieces for Star Wars. He really will be sorely missed when he goes.

Reaction score
Yeh, it's brilliant. Makes me want to watch ESB now. 😁

It's funny, Williams produced so many outstanding pieces of signature movements when he composed the pieces for Star Wars. He really will be sorely missed when he goes.
Agreed. I mean I've always argued the BEST part of the prequels ARE the scores.

Reaction score
Almost all the music from AOTC and ROTS is incredible. My favorite piece is when Obi Wan reveals to Padme Anakin is a Sith Lord and he has to kill him. It matches the emotional intensity of that scene to perfection.

Reaction score
I know this is not a generally TLJ-friendly place, but the run from that soundtrack of The Battle of Crait / The Spark / The Last Jedi is top tier for me.

Another angle tot his thread would be to think of the music moments that aren't on the soundtracks. Top for me would be the section missing between the fanfare and the title track in Revenge of the Sith, when we pan down to just the thumping drums setting up the entrance of Anakin and Obi-wan's starfighters.

Reaction score
Of course the Original OT soundtracks are some of the best soundtracks ever. Favorite tracks would be:
the Star Wars trench run and Death Star explosion/may the force be with you, from ESB (the Darth Vader theme)
and from Jedi the Darth and Luke Duel music and chorus.

If you were lucky like me to have seen these in the theater when new you will never forget a moment from the soundtracks. Of course you can add Jaws and Raiders of the lost Ark to unforgettable soundtracks as well.

Reaction score
Of course the Original OT soundtracks are some of the best soundtracks ever. Favorite tracks would be:
the Star Wars trench run and Death Star explosion/may the force be with you, from ESB (the Darth Vader theme)
and from Jedi the Darth and Luke Duel music and chorus.

If you were lucky like me to have seen these in the theater when new you will never forget a moment from the soundtracks. Of course you can add Jaws and Raiders of the lost Ark to unforgettable soundtracks as well.
Being exposed to those movies and music for the first time when they came out was indeed magical.

Reaction score

Here's another one I've always loved. I especially love when it starts at the 4:00 mark. I always called this portion Boba Fett's theme, though it's really not. It sort of is, I suppose. I think it's ingrained in me from avidly playing Shadows of the Empire for Nintendo 64 back in late middle school, this track featured in the game pretty prominently.

Reaction score

Was hard on the Giacchino score when I first saw the film. But, I have to say it's really grown on me. In particular the piece from 0:00 -> 2:45.

Reaction score
^^ Good call!
I love Williams' work first and foremost, but I still think that Giacchino and Powell did great with their scores for the two "Story" films.

Reaction score
^^ Good call!
I love Williams' work first and foremost, but I still think that Giacchino and Powell did great with their scores for the two "Story" films.
Oh totally. At first it's kinda jarring having a SW without Williams, but once it gets going....wow. Like listening to Cellblocks clip makes me almost cry, Amazing how music can do that! It's so emotional. The score gives me chills. "Your father would be proud." Rogue One, like the Mandalorian, really took SW at its core and ran with it. And they are, by far, my favorites since the OT.

Reaction score

Here's another one I've always loved. I especially love when it starts at the 4:00 mark. I always called this portion Boba Fett's theme, though it's really not. It sort of is, I suppose. I think it's ingrained in me from avidly playing Shadows of the Empire for Nintendo 64 back in late middle school, this track featured in the game pretty prominently.
That was one of the best games ever. So much fun. Remember finally beating Boba Fett and then the Slave-1 comes up and after you?

Reaction score
I really love that Galactic Blast tune!
Here is a more varied version (not the first seconds of the video!!) - not too many vids out there with the "whole"song.

Reaction score
^
Poor Max Rebo. All he did was take a gig at Jabba's. Ended up blown to bits in the middle of a desert.

Reaction score

I always think of this when I think of Max Rebo. I like to think he somehow survived. Hah! Poor little blue elephant in a diaper. Where do you stand on the UPDATED SE Max Rebo song? For my money, I much prefer the original. The new one just makes it too....gimmicky and CGI for me...it feels like there's a hundred members to the band.

I like this one much better. It's a good cover of the original 1983 song.

Now I do have have a controversial take, as Williams also changed the Ewok song. For THAT I like the new version better, it just feels more emotionally appropriate to me over what basically sounds like a muppet song. I don't actually even hate all the SE changes, I think ESB SE is perfect and really what more the other two should have been. While I don't much care for Jedi Rocks, I can live with it. The updated sarlaac is a bit much for me though, a little too excessive. But by far the worst changes were to ANH and the eventual DVD and Blu-Ray release changes. It's like Geoege ALWAYS has to add SOMETHING. It's pretty annoying that you can essentially EXPECT it with every release. Hayden Anakin spirit, Vader's "Nooooooo" in ROTJ, JUST random junk too like this obsession with HAVING to always shove something new and CGI into our face and obscure the scene.

But I will confess, maclunkey is just so absurd....it didn't even make me mad. I had to laugh. It's just like, why? What does that add? Why does he seem to think that oe blinking ewoks are somehow necessary? It's become petty, I almost think he does it now JUST to troll.

That was one of the best games ever. So much fun. Remember finally beating Boba Fett and then the Slave-1 comes up and after you?
Oh yeah man, Fett was a PUNK too. Always flying around and then he goes all sore loser and BUSTS OUT Slave 1 on YOU!? That was a TOUGH battle. IG-88 was another great boss fight. He was actually scary, how you'd hear "STOMP STOMP STOMP," he's COMING....but you're like in panic mode wondering WHERE he's at.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Original originals for me all the way.

As for Yub Nub. That feels superior personally, and here's why... 😁

The Battle of Endor is just a local victory. Significant for sure, but still just a battle in a war. A war that was going to still rage on for years to come, despite the fact that the Emperor was brown bread and his right hand man as well. But...big deal. The Empire constituted millions of people, with plenty of them waiting in line for their moment. It's simply impossible for me to buy into the idea that the whole shebang would just fold because some lads blew up another Death Star and the first and second in command were gone. That war was going to go on for a long time yet.

So, the galaxy wide instant celebration in the (not so) Special Ed's look stupid to me. It's relatively nice music, but it's still dumb visually and narratively. The idea that would collapse in such a way doesn't stack up for even a moment. The situation in the re-release of 'Return of the Jedi' is akin to the Germans just folding after the Battle of Stalingrad. It's ridiculous.

So, with the original ending, we leave the Rebellion in a victory celebration with the Ewoks on Endor, who are enjoying their new found freedom. But, we know that it's not over for the Rebels yet and tomorrow morning, it'll be business as usual. That's always felt far more satisfactory for me, and "realistic", if that word can be applied to a twee fantasy.

However, like everything to do with 'Return of the Jedi' in it's original form, there's probably a bit of nostalgia at play too. Because it really isn't that great a picture in many respects.

Reaction score
Yeah I mean, I loved ROTJ, it's even the one that I've seen the most by far, but....and we've talked this before....but it IS the weak link in the OT. It's just kind of goofy at times, but it def. does feel like an IDEAL kids movie and since I saw it sooooo many times as a kid, I still love it. Warts and all. But that really was the first time George showed his priorities were changing.

Reaction score
The main title definitely. I like the one from ESB. It sounds better the the title them from ANH. Anything that had the Imperial March and the Rebel fanfare.

Reaction score
Yeah I mean, I loved ROTJ, it's even the one that I've seen the most by far, but....and we've talked this before....but it IS the weak link in the OT. It's just kind of goofy at times, but it def. does feel like an IDEAL kids movie and since I saw it sooooo many times as a kid, I still love it. Warts and all. But that really was the first time George showed his priorities were changing.
Yeah though the Deathstar chase music was very awesome. Also it was sad that ROTJ was Richard Marquand last movie.

Reaction score
Have you guys ever overindulged on something so much...you just don't really go to it anymore? It's not for lack of love, it's just you need a break? Here's an example: I have seen the Original Trilogy sooooooo many times, I don't watch them anymore. I'll watch clips occasionally on youtube, but I honestly haven't sat down and watch them in full in years. It's hard to explain. It's like, I can just close my eyes and see them. I don't feel like I need to watch them. Well I'm much the same with the scores. So in more recent years, I've found myself getting into remixes and covers. There's some really epic stuff out there. I know this stuff isn't for everyone, but I've really enjoyed some of these:

All of these give me goosebumps.

Now for another random score. I think some of you remember I was...well...still am a huge fan of Shadows of the Empire. I think the old EU was very hit or miss, some great and some downright fan-fiction levels of terrible IMO, but Shadows was a real hit in my book. I'm still hoping for some of those characters to get somehow adapted and re-introduced somehow much like Thrawn got a second chance. But during the big Shadows push, a lot of people forgot they didn't just do comics, a novel, toys, and a video game...

They did a legit Lucasfilm official score. And by God...it's GREAT! It's such a shame it's been so forgotten. I always especially loved these tracks:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The key for me is not watching them at all for a while. No clips even. Then when I return, I enjoy them.

It's no exaggeration, but I reckon that I've seen the original 'Star Wars' over 100 times by now, and when I go back to it, there's always some detail I notice. It's queer, but these days I find myself sitting down to watch 'Rogue One', thinking that I'll stop there. But by the end of the picture, I've already got 'Star Wars' lined up and ready to go. It's almost like a 4 hour epic to me now. Something like 'Ben-Hur'. 😁

Reaction score
The key for me is not watching them at all for a while. No clips even. Then when I return, I enjoy them.

It's no exaggeration, but I reckon that I've seen the original 'Star Wars' over 100 times by now, and when I go back to it, there's always some detail I notice. It's queer, but these days I find myself sitting down to watch 'Rogue One', thinking that I'll stop there. But by the end of the picture, I've already got 'Star Wars' lined up and ready to go. It's almost like a 4 hour epic to me now. Something like 'Ben-Hur'. 😁
Oh yeah, honestly, it's embarrassing for me to admit...but I've probably seen the original trilogy each over 100 times. Perhaps even more embarrassing? I'm darn sure I've seen Return of the Jedi more than even that. It's the weakest of the OT, sure, but it's like an ideal kids movie and I swear I had it on like constant loop as a child. Credits start, REWIND, play! Hah! I practically wore my copy of it and Jurassic Park out.