the Solo and Rogue One movies are better because they are regular joe origin movies

Reaction score
Face it. the regular joe origin movies Solo and Rogue One are better and did better because they're origin stories of normal characters that dont involve the wacky magical Force or space monks waving around their hands and using laser swords.

I loved it when Imperial soldiers got more screen time in the origin movies than they did in the original trilogy movies.

Plus you got to see more of a variety such as the Scarif shore scout troopers, the Death Troopers and from Solo the snow range troopers and imperial officers wearing muddy capes etc

pod

Reaction score
Solo is not better, rather completely forgettable. We didn't need an "origin" story for Han. The mistake they made was ending the movie where it should have started: It would have been a huge hit if it started with Han going to Jabba's palace, getting a job, getting chased and boarded by the Empire, fighting and evading Boba Fett, and then ending in Mos Eisley not knowing where he was going to get the credits to pay back Jabba for dumping his cargo.

That's what made R1 such a hit - the OT rebels, Death Star, Vader, it tying directing into the saga. That's what people want to see.

GNT

Reaction score
That's what made R1 such a hit - the OT rebels, Death Star, Vader, it tying directing into the saga. That's what people want to see.
I can't really remember the Han solo movie as i've only seen it once but it was average from what I remember, Rogue One was really good since the stakes were high, great mix of characters and battles. Even though we know it will lead into ANH it's an interesting story from the get go and is a Star Wars film I can watch endlessly without getting bored.

Reaction score
I'd watch the Solo movie again and again before any of the ST movies. That's for darn sure. :p

It's more Star Wars-y than any of the ST IMHO with likable characters that you care what happens to. I can't really say the same for any of the new ST characters other than BB-8.

Reaction score
Rogue 1 is the only one I'm able to watch more than once in Theater, and then once again at home. TFA was the only other one I've seen more than twice, but not more than 4. I didn't hate Solo, but indeed it wasn't necessary. Nor was it all that engaging TBH.

Reaction score
Rogue One and Solo are superior to the ST. I place them above TPM, ROS, TFA and TLJ; an behind ESB, ANH, ROS, ROTJ, in that order. I think the closer they stick to the OT, the better the movies are.

Reaction score
I mean I think Rogue One is fantastic, I think Solo is spectacularly average. It has moments of brilliance, but it's just a case of over-indulgence. It's not bad, it's just not necessary. Explaining how Han got his name instead of it just being his name was a remarkably stupid moment. I'm still not convinced I LIKE Chewbacca being basically the Empires Rancor monster. Eh! It boarders on awful for me, but acceptable enough. Dryden is an unbelievably bland villain in a completely uninteresting way. The whole rival smuggler plot was so unnecessary, Enfys Nest, to which I find it really hard to buy that both there is a little girl in that armor and that a little girl is their freaking leader. Um...okay? Qi'ra is kind of just there, a very "Who cares" role. The fact he just happens to run into her is pretty comical, but ah...okay. It's a movie. L337 is a walking irritation to rivaling Jar Jar Binks levels of annoying. The entire time I had to endure her character, which if you're a screen writer, you don't want the audience to feel they have to endure a role...I just kept thinking "Please die soon, just...please?" And then Darth Maul just shows up? What? I still argue, to this day, bringing back Prince Xizor into lore and he being behind Dryden would have made far more sense.

It's one of those cases of an origin story that, somehow, over the course of a couple days, EVERY definitive trait about the character just miraculously happens. He 1. Gets his iconic blaster. 2. Meets Chewbacca. 3. Meets Lando. 4. The infamous Sabaac game. 5. Becomes a smuggler. 6. The Kessel Run. 7. Gets his freaking NAME. 8. Comes to hate the Empire. 9. Gets the falcon. 10. Heavily implying he's going to meet Jabba at the end. It's just silly, but not in that intentionally whimsy way like say the opening of The Last Crusade. It's more in a "Okay, did we need this explained?" way. I hesitate to say it's a bad film, but I don't think it's a good film either. Just because you can tell a story...doesn't mean you should. Enjoyably average.

But the bright moments? I enjoyed the opening speeder chase, I loved the sort of Industrial planet of Corellia. I even liked that giant worm drug lord creature. I enjoyed the WWI style trench battles, though one of the biggest problems with the film? Cinematography, it's so ...blah. I like Beckett and Lando. I liked the Sabbacc game. I liked the western-style train robbery, though it's always hard to run with suspense in a Prequel film as you know who won't die. Basically it's a film where I'm as my core I say "Eh...it exists," and then just carry on my life. It's not something I'll find myself discussing over and over again. In fact, this might be the most I've ever discussed it.

Oh, the fact that the Imperial March is actually the Empires in-universe recruitment theme is also so bad it's comical.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The way they played Sabacc in the Solo movie, I think they did it wrong.

I remember reading in the Heir to the Empire trilogy books, in Sabacc, people cheat by having a hologram card or whatever and cant remember the exact name of the card but the movie version of Sabacc was a little off

Reaction score
But I mean, I don't really care about the fake logistically rules to a fake space-fantasy card game. I don't care if how Lando cheats doesn't mesh up with the lore. That's an immense nitpick. What I care about is if it's a good scene, to which I think it was arguably the best scene in the movie.

Reaction score
I’ve got to agree on this.

I’ve seen Solo about 5 times now and I have to say it’s a grower, I really enjoy it.

Rogue One however, is something else. The best Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. I don’t know why Gareth Edwards wasn’t given a chance on one of the sequel trilogy films.

Reaction score
Both films suffer from obvious studio meddling.

Rogue One - It gets better with each viewing. The characters aren't as likable as they should be but it works in the context of the film.

Solo - Does not deserve the cr@p usually thrown at it. Its enjoyable, but it is a list of studio plot points that didn't need to be there & would have served the story better if we waited until part 2 to see Han win the ship or go meet Jabba. & things like the gun & name seemed a little forced.

Reaction score
I enjoyed Solo as a movie. I never saw it at the cinema as I was having a hump about TLJ at the time. I really regret that now - it's visually stunning.

I find Solo to be weird from a collecting standpoint though. For myself, at least - I cannot dedicate any space to an era of Star Wars that is only covered in 2 hours of film and a bunch of characters that are never heard or spoken of again. With Rogue One it sits nicely with the rest of my OT collection as it's the same era/theme.

Mandalorian I find has that problem of being in a weird era too - however due to it's huge popularity and being an extended TV show with hopefully many more seasons to come it doesn't feel that out of place to have space in my home dedicated to it.