The Rochester Thread - 77

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind knowing, some figures I'll have more luck finding there than in the wild!

Reaction score
Unfortunate but not surprising state of the hobby...due to medical, mobility and financial reasons all but left in June 2012. 2013 was first year since 1993 to have invested less than four figures ($ wise; came in at just under $200 thanks to crazy Amazon price reductions). Dropped runs (toys or other) from six to seven a week to three or less as of June 2013 don't bother moving for anything other than food or legal obligations. Going to put up some photos to blow on the embers of the more than once great preoccupation of Star Wars fandom. Using the coming weeks, as the past year to rethink and refocus as to what is at the core of personal interest.

Reaction score
Thanks Alex. Looking at current state of things in a positive light. Between Hasbro deciding to skimp on glue after 90+ years and TRU feeling they can charge full shot for packaging they have glued on backwards makes not hunting for MOC much more palatable. Knowing that Disney has had a finger in the SW pie since at least August 1980 (when those Vader photos were taken in Disney World) gives me hope that it would be against their best interest to alienate the lifers who have read more than one EU story. Time has given me a chance to decide what is "the best" of the modern line (95-present). Over the past year have been compiling a date stamp database which includes the shipping case/assortment #'s that if nothing else proves if an item (POTF2 Holo R2-D2) can exist (it can). Similar to finding a small head Han on an ESB card, using up stock or transitioning waves produces some very unique items. The thought of compiling a complete run of the first three POTF2 waves with Holo's seems like an obtainable goal where a full run of Classic Vintage Kenner premiere cards went out the window long before the recent episode of Toy Hunter. Will show you my unused plane ticket to Florida next VG show (been in my wallet since before CVI, serves as a constant reminder “the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry” :) )

Reaction score
I hope everyone is weather the blizzard in warmth and comfort today. The office closed at noon and thankfully the roads were empty going home because it was a slow slick ride. It's been quite sometime since we've had something like this.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday at the show.

Reaction score
Just got back from the Quasi Spring Rochester Collectables show at Village Gate. Most likely the most vendors at a show in quite sometime. Tons of vintage and modern Star Wars to be had.

I spent a whole $3 on a Star Wars Lego Chronicles Promo Bag Set from the Times Square event from last year. There was a vendor selling a complete set with tray of the cereal boxes from C5. He wanted $250. Tempting but already have a few of them and didn't want to rebuy them.

The show today was like a whose who of people I knew from collecting various items I dabble in (SW, Comics). Lots of old scummers who I thought had all passed away or been deported. In no particular order...

Scotty: Still on the run from his high crimes.Good catching up. See in you July.
Eric: Still in the collecting ballgame.
Kevin: Came out of his mansion to grace us little people with tales of wine, woman and collecting. A true pleasure.
Nicky: Thanks for the scoops on upcoming cons and such. Always impressed with your dedication to the 501st.

I think I saw Lingster or his clone at one of the tables.

Reaction score
For those who may be reading this and living near a Wegmans the Wave 3 Black Series 3 3/4 is on the pegs. Seen them at two Wegmans in the last two days. (Irondequoit Hudson Ave & Pittsford Plaza).

Reaction score
Western New York's largest toy show of its kind!

SUNDAY, JUNE 8, 2014 - 10AM-3PM

YEARS

MONTHS

DAYS

HOURS

MINUTES

SECONDS

The Dome Center (Minett Hall)
(2695 East Henrietta Road, Henrietta, NY)

Reaction score
Dome show today (June 8th) Wow, this place is just dead. Used to be tons of posts a day. Now lucky to have more then 1 a month.

As for some toy info, KMart Chili has this huge 24" Darth Vaders on clearance. tag said $31 so depending on % off , it might be $15.50

Last edited:
Reaction score
Going to check it out, bringing some trade fodder. Hoping for 2010 SL Stormtroopers, Disney BAD's or some missed secondary characters. Made some good trades last year at the Armory show.

Reaction score
Not the best but not the worst. Picked up the 12" electronic R2-D2 & C-3PO from the 90's 12" line. Also got carded bend-ems R2-D2 & C-3PO. Just spent $23. Far cry from years ago when I'd be lucky to leave a toy show without spending $100+.

Reaction score
Just got back from Niagara Falls Comic Con. Lots of Star Wars 3 3/4 to be had at varying price points. There were a few vendors with higher end stuff but way over priced. Picked up some Marvel trades, a few sketch covers and art prints. All Superhero based. Nothing Star Wars caught my interest.

Did talk to Anthony Forrest for a few minutes. Very nice guy.

Reaction score
Dome show had a nice variety of items to browse but prices...not so much. 5x retail for mass release (non-con) toys less than five years old is insanity. Couple of nice vintage pieces with condition issues.

Reaction score
Is there anyone in the Greater Syracuse Area on here that buys/sells/trades Star Wars? Just curious since I am new to collecting and like to shop locally and make connections.

Reaction score
Welcome to the Rochester/Buffalo forum.

Not many active local members on here anymore.

Feel free to post what you are looking for and what you have.

Welcome again.

Reaction score
I'm sure it will. I know from word of mouth that some of the guys on here are on a Facebook and do their collecting stuff via that. I don't have Facebook so I hang around this dilapidated forum:awesome:

Reaction score
I'm sure it will. I know from word of mouth that some of the guys on here are on a Facebook and do their collecting stuff via that. I don't have Facebook so I hang around this dilapidated forum:awesome:
You know you want to join us, Alex!

Reaction score
Flight and hotel are booked. Will be the tickets for Friday and Saturday sometime in the next few weeks.

Going with the late great forum member MadPerry.

Are you going? How about any of the Facebook group?

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going! My wife is joining me as well. Everything expect flights are taken care of!

Reaction score
Good to read. I am really looking forward to it. We cancelled our annual NYCC trip in order to better fund our Celebration experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't blame you! Plus it seems NYCC is turning into a whole week event!

Who did you book your flight with?

Reaction score
Gates Walmart has started stocking 6" figures. They just got the Stormtrooper wave in. I took the Stormtrooper but the rest are there.

Reaction score
I saw the new Biker Scout and Jabba the Hutt Black Series at the Toys R Us store in the Greece Ridge Mall yesterday.

I am impressed. The best sculpt of either character to ever come out of Hasbro. Was tempted to get the Jabba but it is a slippery slope.

Reaction score
T a r g e t in H e n r i e t t a has shelf talkers for Jabba (087-06-0901), p u n c h e d in their scanner three t i m e s past few w e e k s. Have yet to s e e in p e r s o n, heard Jabba f i t s w e l l with 3/4" figs s c a l e wise.