The Rise of Skywalker trailer.....

Reaction score
One thing I hope sees some further development or explanation is how Maz got Luke's lightsaber
Technically it's Anakins saber... I feel like they're doing a 'one ring' thing here and giving it a life of its own. "it wants to be found" and all that.

I still think Rey is a skywalker, and i think Anakins saber 'rigged the deck', so to speak, so that it would eventually end up in her hands through their mutual connection to the force. IIRC, that was kind of what they said in TFA, or at least, thats what i took away from what they said. Works for me, but i can see how it leaves some (massive) gaps. I just shrug and say 'space magic'.

As an aside, I dont think its 'retconning' (as some popular media have called it) for them to change direction on Rey's lineage. Kylo could have been deceived by snoke into thinking that, he could have knowingly lied to Rey, or, maybe he just made it up because he thought it would help get Rey out of his dreams and into his bed.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
They should leave Rey parentage exactly as it is.
This. Not a fan of the whole skywalkers are the only ones who can stop evil angle. In sports, bloodlines rarely matter and more often than not the kid isn't half the basketball/football player that there dad was.

Reaction score
This. Not a fan of the whole skywalkers are the only ones who can stop evil angle. In sports, bloodlines rarely matter and more often than not the kid isn't half the basketball/football player that there dad was.
Plus the fact that the Skywalker haven't stopped a damn thing yet.

Reaction score
Technically it's Anakins saber... I feel like they're doing a 'one ring' thing here and giving it a life of its own. "it wants to be found" and all that.
I really don't like this development - screams of appeals for legitimacy and merchandising options over continuing the story. Lucas showed that the lightsabers were just tools, especially through the prequels. The only significance of Anakin's lightsaber before was symbolic, as Luke lost it along with the fantasy of who his father was. No in-universe value to the saber itself beyond what the character ascribed to it.

Reaction score
I agree with the lightsaber thing. it had a meaning for Luke because it came from his father, whom he never knew. I don't think a lightsaber needs to call to someone or choose it's owner in anyway. Obi-Wan and Anaking lost their lightsabers in AOTC and got new ones to use in the arena, then rebuilt theirs afterwards.

Reaction score
I don't really care for the lightsaber being "special". I could get behind it being treated as a holy relic, especially after the Emperor's campaign to find and destroy every last vestige of the jedi. It was special to Luke because it belonged to his father and it's special to Rey for what it represents. No need for it to be magic or whatever.

Reaction score
I don't really care for the lightsaber being "special". I could get behind it being treated as a holy relic, especially after the Emperor's campaign to find and destroy every last vestige of the jedi. It was special to Luke because it belonged to his father and it's special to Rey for what it represents. No need for it to be magic or whatever.
I agree. I don't need it to be something magical like Excalibur.
I

Reaction score
I don't think anything further will be explained about Anakin's lightsaber. The whole thing was just woefully written to begin with anyhow. How it ended up with Miss Cantina after falling into Bespin (a gas giant), or how it can "call" to someone...:rolleyes: ...is so terribly constructed, it beggars belief.

This entire effort at story has been just slapped together like a flimsy partition wall thrown up by a bunch of cowboy builders.

Reaction score
I don't think anything further will be explained about Anakin's lightsaber. The whole thing was just woefully written to begin with anyhow. How it ended up with Miss Cantina after falling into Bespin (a gas giant), or how it can "call" to someone...:rolleyes: ...is so terribly constructed, it beggars belief.

This entire effort at story has been just slapped together like a flimsy partition wall thrown up by a bunch of cowboy builders.
it didn't literally call out to her....

also we see his hand and saber fall down the hole. Thats it. When Luke falls he gets sucked into one of the tubes. Its safe to assume his light saber got sucked in one too and then just didn't fall out the release hatch. Some maintenance worker found it and sold it.

Reaction score
that was the word JJ used -- "and now it calls to you" -- are you saying JJ is wrong?

TFA said the saber "Called" to her -- Cellblock asks "How?" -- VF says "it didn't".

(is this proof , that VF didn't see TFA?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
that was the word JJ used -- "and now it calls to you" -- are you saying JJ is wrong?

TFA said the saber "Called" to her -- Cellblock asks "How?" -- VF says "it didn't".

(is this proof , that VF didn't see TFA?)
if it literally called out to her the Lightsaber would have said "HEY REY I NEED YOU TO PICK ME UP"

add literal to the list of words you don't understand

Reaction score
and again, that's the word JJ used, to describe what the saber actually DID in the movie -- and that's what Cellblock is talking about.

you know, that, thing.. that the saber did..?

JJ refers to it as a "call" -- you can use whatever word you want. but saying "it didn't happen" is ....(wait for it).... intellectual dishonesty.

(that's kind of like saying, you were using the word "you" in its plural form, while quoting/addressing a single person -- revisionist history much? -- you're being dishonest)

Last edited:
Reaction score
it didn't literally call out to her....

that's because JJ was using the word figuratively. (add figuratively to the list of words you don't understand).

Cellblock's question remains: HOW did the saber "call"' to her? (using whatever-word-you-want to describe this phenomenon?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess my point about the lightsaber was that I'm more interested in finding out how it ended up in a trunk under Maz castle than I am about learning more of Rey's parents.

Reaction score
That story is likely going to be left to the comic books and novels. It's a small detail that doesn't seem worth spending valuable screen time on, especially if the answer is reduced to a throwaway line.

Reaction score
I agree with the lightsaber thing. it had a meaning for Luke because it came from his father, whom he never knew. I don't think a lightsaber needs to call to someone or choose it's owner in anyway. Obi-Wan and Anaking lost their lightsabers in AOTC and got new ones to use in the arena, then rebuilt theirs afterwards.
So true, I didn't really care for the wands in Harry Potter suddenly gaining loyalty for their proper wielders either.
Plus, new Canon already retconned red lightsabers as being the result of a cracked/bleeding kyber crystal. As opposed to its wielder swapping a natural blue/green crystal for a synthetic red one as a concious choice. That's enough lightsaber mysticism for me.

Reaction score
That story is likely going to be left to the comic books and novels. It's a small detail that doesn't seem worth spending valuable screen time on, especially if the answer is reduced to a throwaway line.
Fair enough.

Still don't think they need to **** around with who Rey's parents are.

Reaction score
I'm fine with them doing what they want with Rey's parents, but I'd prefer that they don't change what we learned in TLJ.

I think that the title does refer to her, but I don't think she will be a Skywalker by blood. More like Luke will give her that name and it'll be used like Jedi was before they went extinct.

Reaction score
I'm fine with them doing what they want with Rey's parents, but I'd prefer that they don't change what we learned in TLJ.

I think that the title does refer to her, but I don't think she will be a Skywalker by blood. More like Luke will give her that name and it'll be used like Jedi was before they went extinct.
That's what I'm leaning towards too re: the Skywalker name. It's going to basically be the new name for "Jedi"

Rey = Skywalker

Making her a Skywalker by blood would be the easiest, laziest cop out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're probably correct.

It'll end up as some throwaway, poorly conceived, excuse to justify the awful happenings in the sequels, like Han Solo leaving the falcon in the hands of some random bloke her never met before, to "explain" how it ends up on not Tatooine and then, subsequently, in the hands of Rey.

It's a "story for another time"

In other words, yeh whatever.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Some people seem to think Rey is and isn't a Skywalker, per se, and it ties back to Maz and the lightsaber. I've heard (not sure about the reliability of it) that originally the sequels conceptually opened up with Luke's severed hand clutching the Anakin saber. Some people seem to think the reason Rey is so naturally gifted, the reason why she had the vision of Bespin when she touched the saber, is because she was a test tube baby created from the DNA of the severed hand of Luke Skywalker. So her not having parents adds up, she's a science project. But at the same time, she sort of IS a Skywalker. Also sort of mirroring Anakin's creation.

Who knows?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The trailer has me interested in all these questions etc and that is something I would not have said 3 weeks ago. This trailer felt like the TFA trailer which had a sense of wonder and magic.

TLJ on the other hand...blunder and tragic.

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of a "One Lightsaber" at all. I interpret the lightsaber's call to Rey, much like a certain career might be a person's calling.

Rey's calling is to become a Jedi. The lightsaber is the weapon of the Jedi. It is the Force that allows her to see the visions etc., and the lightsaber acts as a conduit, rather than the lightsaber itself having any ability to communicate, or will, so to speak.

Reaction score
Some people seem to think Rey is and isn't a Skywalker, per se, and it ties back to Maz and the lightsaber. I've heard (not sure about the reliability of it) that originally the sequels conceptually opened up with Luke's severed hand clutching the Anakin saber. Some people seem to think the reason Rey is so naturally gifted, the reason why she had the vision of Bespin when she touched the saber, is because she was a test tube baby created from the DNA of the severed hand of Luke Skywalker. So her not having parents adds up, she's a science project. But at the same time, she sort of IS a Skywalker. Also sort of mirroring Anakin's creation.

Who knows?
To me, that would be a much more interesting way of bringing clones into the storytelling than the PT did.

I do believe they're going to have to have a person be a Skywalker in this movie based on the title. If it was going to be the name of some new order, there would have to be a "the" before it, like Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. I don't think anyone would sign off on a grammatical snafu just to maintain an aura of mystery for 8 months. I mean, this name has to stick to the movie forever... long after the sting of whatever grand reveal it is wears off.

Reaction score
To me, that would be a much more interesting way of bringing clones into the storytelling than the PT did.

I do believe they're going to have to have a person be a Skywalker in this movie based on the title. If it was going to be the name of some new order, there would have to be a "the" before it, like Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. I don't think anyone would sign off on a grammatical snafu just to maintain an aura of mystery for 8 months. I mean, this name has to stick to the movie forever... long after the sting of whatever grand reveal it is wears off.
I agree. I could go with that. It's sort of like getting our cake and eating it too. Best of both worlds. Rey does come from nobody, there are no parents, literally, but it also makes her...in a way...a Skywalker too. "From a certain point of view." Well if this theory be true. That was the people that don't want her to be the daughter of Luke win...and the people that do want her to be a Skywalker also win. In a manner of speaking. Plus it would explain away the Mary Sue thing. I was never opposed to how "good" she was with little to no training...because I always assumed it would be explained. Now granted if it's not, then I'll hate it and she indeed is a Mary Sue. But I just assume there will be an explanation for why she's so naturally skilled and as long as that happens, I like the character of Rey.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the title just refers to Luke himself.
it's like when they killed Spock , and half the fandom lost interest in future movies (and/or pledged a boycott).
--> they HAD to call the next one "search for spock" JUST to get people to show up. LOL

in this case.... "the Search for Luke" would have seemed too derivative. what's left?
"Luke Returns"? "the Return of Luke?" "the Dawn of the Planet of the Luke?" "The Rise of the..." Hey!! Wait!! that's IT!! --> the Rise of Luke!!
or better yet : the Rise of Skywalker.

it serves the same function as "The Search For Spock" -- it convinces upset fans to SHOW UP and BUY A TICKET. :p LOL

Reaction score
The trailer has me interested in all these questions etc and that is something I would not have said 3 weeks ago. This trailer felt like the TFA trailer which had a sense of wonder and magic.

TLJ on the other hand...blunder and tragic.
I was intrigued, myself, by the trailer for 'The Last Jedi'. It promised a very different film than the one we ended up getting.

Reaction score
I do believe they're going to have to have a person be a Skywalker in this movie based on the title.
More than likely, it's either going to be Kylo redeemed in some ridiculous fashion, or Rey is a Skywalker who was hidden from Snoke.

Reaction score
Please, no... please, no... I'll take a Kylo redemption, but I really don't want Rey to have been a secret Skywalker. Not after they spent two whole movies making a point about how her parentage is unimportant. Having Rey be a Skywalker will undermine what I see as the ST's whole point; we're not defined by our parents/families. The OT and PT already did the whole bloodlines thing. I don't want a repeat. I want Rey to be Rey, her own thing, not fastened to a pre-existing legacy (for similar reasons, I was glad Snoke was Snoke, a new character, and not Plagueis or something dumb like that).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was glad Snoke was Snoke, a new character, and not Plagueis or something dumb like that).
Plaguis would have been cool for nerds like us but would have been meaningless to both general audiences and to Rey - like the Khan thing in Into Darkness. It would have absolutely dictated the need for 20 minutes of backstory exposition which would have brought things to a screeching halt. I was a proponent for Snoke being Plagueis but in this instance I was glad to be wrong.

Also, please don't make Rey a Skywalker/Windu/Kenobi/Binks etc. There's this narrative that TFA presented Rey's parentage as some big mystery when that really wasn't the case. Maz literally tells Rey to stop bothering about it - "The belonging you seek is not behind you... it is ahead".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Indeed. After the initial exceitement I'm going all "Fool me once...."
Exactly. TLJ had good trailers and the film ended up a **** show.

I fully understand that the same thing can happen here but I'm doing my best to be optimistic (plus my TLJ bias will continue to permeate all posts - it is what it is).

Reaction score
If they bring back Luke it would be the worst mistake since they killed Luke, which was the worst mistake since they wrote him out of TFA...

What boggles my mind still is that they wrote Luke out of TFA in such a lazy way simply because they couldn’t figure out how to write him into the story. The problem was “Luke was too powerful” and every time he showed up “he solved the problem easily” and the new characters couldn’t shine. It just screamed of lazy writing. You couldn’t figure out how to write Luke? Really? There’s what, like 40 post rotj books where authors figured out how to write Luke. Superman is arguably one of the most powerful characters in comics and writers have been figuring out how to write him for how many decades???

Given the series established pattern of lazy writing and unoriginal ideas...I’m not expecting anything new.

Reaction score
If they bring back Luke it would be the worst mistake since they killed Luke, which was the worst mistake since they wrote him out of TFA...

What boggles my mind still is that they wrote Luke out of TFA in such a lazy way simply because they couldn’t figure out how to write him into the story. The problem was “Luke was too powerful” and every time he showed up “he solved the problem easily” and the new characters couldn’t shine. It just screamed of lazy writing. You couldn’t figure out how to write Luke? Really? There’s what, like 40 post rotj books where authors figured out how to write Luke. Superman is arguably one of the most powerful characters in comics and writers have been figuring out how to write him for how many decades???

Given the series established pattern of lazy writing and unoriginal ideas...I’m not expecting anything new.
I think their main worry was that he'd over shadow Rey, no matter what he did, because she's as empty as used baked bean can.

That said, I'll never really understand the actual need to kill Luke in the first place. It's doubly worse that it was due to a force OD as well. Did nobody at Disney question that decision?