The Razor Crest

Reaction score
So let's say that Target goes with the Razor Crest as an exclusive. Someone threw out the figure of 2 Razor Crests per store. Well, there are only about 1,900 Target stores in the United States. That would put the number of Razor Crests around 3,800 - that's just over 1/3 of the goal for the Haslab campaign. The campaign actually got over 28,000 backers. To get that amount of Razor Crest vehicles into Target stores each location would have to receive 14 or more.

None of this accounts for the business deal that would need to be struck between Hasbro and any exclusive retailer, either. Hasbro has not and will not divulge how much it is costing them to produce the Razor Crest. But if they hold true to conventional manufacturing models it might cost Hasbro about $90 / unit to produce the Razor Crest. It would probably cost Target about $180 per vehicle at the wholesale price. But the $350 Haslab price tag might actually represent a higher cost per unit for Hasbro since they don't have a retailer in between them and the customer.
I used 2 per store as an example because that's about all we see up here in the PNW if anything, while stores in L.A. area get 10 each, but we all know more than 3,800 units would have to be made in order to justify the new mold costs. That said, with the lower production phase Hasbro has been in the last few years I suspect that it would have only been about 15K units because neither Target or Walmart want to be stuck with too much unsold stock especially at the $300 price point. Because lets face it we all know that some people would try to wait it out for Clearance to get it for under $200 or less, the trend of buying high priced vehicles on clearance had been increasing every year during and post PT era.

Normally when a product is made they have a certain number of units that needed to sell in order to justify the costs associated with new molds production etc. which can typically be more costly the lower that number is at least in terms of action figures. Like how Amazon's Bad batch set is $63 versus what should have been only $50 since 4 carded figures are only $13 and all four were reuse, generally you're supposed to get deal on "sets" versus buying them all separately. granted them all being carded and the large box added costs, but I sense that they didn't make enough which possibly made the cost higher.

Hasbro's target goal on the RC was 6K at $350, hence that's what they needed to justify the molds etc. So what happens when they increase production to 28K? There has to be some profit margin leftover in there for something, which is possibly why we got carbon blocks and an egg in addition to straight up reuse of three figures. Basing it on the old retail model making 28K units should have allowed it to go for around $200-250 at Target or Wally's.

Reaction score
Has someone been watching Retroblasting? That's the exact same argument they put forth. What he did not take into account in his lengthy anti-Haslab manifesto? How do you actually get a vehicle the size of the Razor Crest to market?

Shelf space at any retailer is at a premium now. If something sits for a while, that's not good for Hasbro, the Star Wars IP or the retailer. The Razor Crest is going to take up at least 2 feet of shelf space. You might be able to stack those two or three units deep. Or look at the Smuggler's Run Millennium Falcon at Target - it had to have a special display in stores.

This is also not the retail landscape of 5 years ago. Back then Toys R Us was still a major player in brick and mortar retail. They were probably the one retailer that could dedicate the shelf space to a big ticket item like this. As much as people have adjusted to a world without Toys R Us, the major players in US retail - Target and Walmart - barely devote 2 feet of shelf space to Star Wars. Those lower shelves where the big items go are generally devoted to role play items, various big versions of Grogu and Mission Heroes vehicles. You might see a TVC Slave One in a GameStop store once in a while. And Best Buy is hit or miss. As for the Fan Channel option? I can't see online retail being able to support a Razor Crest release. The shipping expenses for both Hasbro and those retailers would be VERY significant. And I don't think that even Amazon, Entertainment Earth and Hasbro Pulse combined could move the RC in the kinds of volume numbers that would make it profitable for all involved.

Another reason why the Razor Crest wouldn't work at retail? The target market - most parents aren't going to plunk down $350 for a Razor Crest. As for collectors? Well, lots of people have shown their true colors with higher priced items. There's a significant number of collectors who want to get new items immediately and will pay the MSRP. But then there's the clearance vulture - the collector who really wants an item, but will only buy something on clearance because they are either painfully frugal or because they like to think that they're getting one over on Hasbro, the retailer or other collectors when they brag in social media posts about their clearance finds. While it's nice to get a deal sometimes, you can actually hurt the line by doing this. Hasbro took notice of it, and so did retailers.

Releasing the Razor Crest as a Haslab project checks a bunch of boxes - it's highly detailed, there's a finite number of them, and Hasbro has a firm commitment from their buyers. That minimizes the risk and gives everyone involved a greater guarantee of a successful release. No offense to the Retroblasting guy, but I think his argument is very shortsighted given the 2021 business landscape.

See, that is just the problem though, IMO. Hasbro SHOULD be looking to make the Razor Crest affordable and at retail. It's not like there is no precedent from this. Merely a decade ago, we had a $100 BMF and BAT-AT being sold in the Legacy line, both with AMAZING detail inside and out, great paint jobs, and full blown electronic lights and sounds. Kids could ask for them because they were actually on shelves and were being seen at retail - AKA the best sales pitch for any product - actual shelf presence. Then Hasbro somewhere along the line decided to ditch the fun parts of vehicles like electronics and actual features, hike the price and target only collectors.

I know many were so proud that a TVC HasLab crushed it with 29K backers, but I think you have to look at it the other way. It was only that way because this item could have easily been released to widespread appeal at retail. OF COURSE it was going to fund. I'd venture to say Hasbro could have sold a boatload more Razor Crests had they actually put electronics and lights in and priced it at around $150-200. If they were selling 50-60K units, it would certainly be feasible. Look at MOTU Origins - Mattel releases an entire playset for $79 at retail, complete with a figure. Sure, it's more of a shell, but the paint apps are really nice and detailed on it with much more than the original 80s release. It still uses quite a bit of plastic. I get that the current RC features a TON of small details, which is appreciated and costs more with molds and such, but making small compromises here or there wouldn't bother me if it meant more people could have it and enjoy it.

I think it's a travesty that a billion dollar toy company can't even offer a toy Razor Crest for kids that would coordinate with the action figures on shelves. I know the smaller 2" line has one, but to me that's basically the same demographic as the Playskool stuff. HALO has it right - if you want to sell kids action figures, then sell kids action figures and the action vehicles to go with it. Hasbro has a terrible habit of putting all figures out on shelves and no vehicles to ever go with them.

Reaction score
If you mean the one from just a few years ago I think not. It has to be an all-new item if it's a Haslab item but for some reason they are withholding the dimensions

Reaction score
I am thinking it's the same size as the old ship. They just repainted the old ship and made it a haslab.

No, it’s clearly a new mold. You can tell by comparing it to photos of the original Skystriker, the new one has more detail. Also you can tell it’s bigger because the original mold only held one pilot and the Haslab one holds two.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to belabor my own point. But let me ask you this: when you look at the aisles in your local Walmart or Target stores, and consider what they have in stock at those locations - do you think that either of those chains could viably offer up a $350 Razor Crest?
Simply put, yes. They sell large expensive products such as big screen TVs, and large Power Wheel kinds of toys. They have sections where they have large boxed items that don't fit in the regular toy asile. I just bought that Mario Kart Rainbow track set at Target that has a huge box and while it's not $350 it was pretty expensive. Also, saw the same set at Walmart. They just stuck it on the very top shelf above all the peg space.

But, again why would they go through the hassle when they have a better business model to go with that is most likely more profitable to them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But, again why would they go through the hassle when they have a better business model to go with that is most likely more profitable to them.
I think the biggest problem most people have is that with brick and mortar release those items tend to see a reissue, where as with HasLab they are supposedly one and done releases meaning if you missed it you're SOL. And that I can understand.

While it does state that Hasbro reserves the right to release it again, it seems that a lot of people who back these projects are adamant that there shouldn't be reissues for whatever odd reasoning, so it appears we're in a pickle here.

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem most people have is that with brick and mortar release those items tend to see a reissue, where as with HasLab they are supposedly one and done releases meaning if you missed it you're SOL. And that I can understand.

While it does state that Hasbro reserves the right to release it again, it seems that a lot of people who back these projects are adamant that there shouldn't be reissues for whatever odd reasoning, so it appears we're in a pickle here.

It’s not even relegated to just Haslab or other Kickstarters. Seems like there are a lot of lines where people don’t want figures or characters rereleased because our hobby has become infested with speculators who are more worried about gouging actual collectors for items before they even have them in hand.

Reaction score

Revenue doesn’t tell us anything, profits do.

For 2020:

Operating profit of $501.8 million; Net earnings were $222.5 million or $1.62 per diluted share
Adjusted operating profit of $826.7 million, or 15.1% of revenue, an expansion of 110 basis points year-over-year
Adjusted net earnings of $514.6 million, or $3.74 per diluted share

Lots of money, but not the kind of profit margins for a company if that size that would have them thinking about slashing prices.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I'm all for reissues, means I can buy another down the road, or maybe they can make a few adjustments and do a v1.5 so it's slightly different so everyone benefits

Reaction score
It’s not even relegated to just Haslab or other Kickstarters. Seems like there are a lot of lines where people don’t want figures or characters rereleased because our hobby has become infested with speculators who are more worried about gouging actual collectors for items before they even have them in hand.
Re issue at a much higher price point would still piss off the people who are begging for it. I am sure they want the barge released again but at a lower price point. Their argument would be the molds have been created already so it should be cheaper to produce a second time.

Reaction score
Re issue at a much higher price point would still piss off the people who are begging for it. I am sure they want the barge released again but at a lower price point. Their argument would be the molds have been created already so it should be cheaper to produce a second time.
That’s why no one should listen to them.

That sort of entitlement shouldn’t be rewarded of even acknowledged at this point.

If there are people out there really saying that, then they are a bit out of touch with reality.

Collectibles are priced at not just production cost but at what they expect people will pay for it. Things only get more expensive over time. Any hypothetical and totally not happening barge reissue will cost more in the end of times scenario it’s released in.

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case at all, except maybe 20 people. I's sure there's a lot of people who'd gladly pay the base price of $500 for another shot at the Barge, this time around no POTF Yak Face or Jabba, just the Barge. And maybe throw in a previous henchman as repack non carded. Since the molds exists and was paid for by collectors there's no reason to increase it in price, just produce it for what it costs to assemble. I don't believe that it should be up-charged to $800 or more within a mere few years of initial release.

Lower than $500? No, I don't think that should happen but people advocating that it should be over $1K so that it doesn't interfere with their investment is ludicrous.

Reaction score
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again… I can’t see Hasbro re-releasing Haslab products until the day when the Haslab concept is dead. Knowing that they’re not one-shot deals would hurt initial sales and reduce the number of backers projects will get. I might be proven wrong eventually, but all this talk about putting the barge out again seems like a pipe dream to me.

Reaction score
I think it's funny that the way SOME people still argue that those that want to see the barge, or any haslab/crowdfunded product, rereleased for ANY reason are being "entitlists" yet thier very arguement for not rerelessing the item makes them an entitlist as well...Just saying

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the way SOME people still argue that those that want to see the barge, or any haslab/crowdfunded product, rereleased for ANY reason are being "entitlists" yet thier very arguement for not rerelessing the item makes them an entitlist as well...Just saying

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t want the barge at all. If I did, I’d have done the Haslab.

What are some, or even one, good reasons for it not to be rereleased that doesn’t have to do with “maintaining its value?”

Reaction score
I dont want the Barge or any Haslab project re-released.

It has nothing to do with its after market "value" nor do I say it because I want fans of this ship and product line to be excluded.

To me, HasLab is the collective effort of the SW community to support a project and its a special land mark that speaks to the vibrant community of SW collectors. Does it mean because you didnt back the project, tho, that you are not part of the community? No. There are many issues that can come up: economic, health, family, loss of interest, etc. Its like when you support a charity, Maybe this year you had the money to support or you had the time to volunteer. But the year before you didnt. That doesnt mean that down the road you cant pitch in and help. The Haslab SW projects are no different, maybe next year I wont back the next SW item because I want to focus on my collection. That doesnt mean I am not part of this grass roots effort because I have backed other projects. I would not be offended if I miss out and its not re-made.

Reaction score
I dont want the Barge or any Haslab project re-released.

To me, HasLab is the collective effort of the SW community to support a project and its a special land mark that speaks to the vibrant community of SW collectors.
Yes, but that's what we do every single year for however long we've been collectors, "a community that collectively supports Hasbro" by continuing to buy their goods repacks and all. If not for that their Star Wars division would have tanked decades ago. So what you're basically saying is that Hasbro shouldn't repack any of their releases, but if not for those repacks they wouldn't have the budget to subsidize the line.

I honestly don't get why a HasLab item cannot be reissued because at some point this is the only way we're going to get vehicles that aren't "Mission Fleet". Which means those who get into collecting after said vehicle was released will be SOL for their entire collecting life. Pesonally I never liked repacks, still don't but I recognize that some people either miss out the first time, didn't get enough(troop builder), or weren't collecting at that juncture. So it's not my right to deny them of the chance by say we shouldn't have repacks. I simply choose not the rebuy it.

SO at it's core this is the issue particularly to the RC, if it were a brick and mortar release we could hope to see it reissued again 5-10 years alter for those who weren't around the first time. But by it being HasLab, nope!

Reaction score
What are some, or even one, good reasons for it not to be rereleased that doesn’t have to do with “maintaining its value?”
According to Hasbro, logistics. They can’t do it cheaply enough or get it shipped anywhere efficiently enough.

Reaction score
Yes, but that's what we do every single year for however long we've been collectors, "a community that collectively supports Hasbro" by continuing to buy their goods repacks and all. If not for that their Star Wars division would have tanked decades ago. So what you're basically saying is that Hasbro shouldn't repack any of their releases, but if not for those repacks they wouldn't have the budget to subsidize the line.

I honestly don't get why a HasLab item cannot be reissued because at some point this is the only way we're going to get vehicles that aren't "Mission Fleet". Which means those who get into collecting after said vehicle was released will be SOL for their entire collecting life. Pesonally I never liked repacks, still don't but I recognize that some people either miss out the first time, didn't get enough(troop builder), or weren't collecting at that juncture. So it's not my right to deny them of the chance by say we shouldn't have repacks. I simply choose not the rebuy it.

SO at it's core this is the issue particularly to the RC, if it were a brick and mortar release we could hope to see it reissued again 5-10 years alter for those who weren't around the first time. But by it being HasLab, nope!
I see what you are saying but like myself, I had to go to ebay, here and other places to start my TVC collection, I missed 99% of the first TVC 1.0. So collectors are not SOL because if they missed or didnt participate in a Haslab project, its ok, they can go to the secondary market like the rest of us. I mean thats just how hobbies are. Haslab to me is different than just buying Hasbros retail products, its almost a niche part of our hobby that is open to everyone, it just has a very limited window. also, look at the convention exclusives. Look at the SDCC Death Star set. I missed that one and I also missed it on the secondary market. I am not asking Hasbro to remake it, I get it, it was a convention special and that makes it unique.

anyways, at the end of the day, we as collectors need to decide how we manage and build our collections, do what makes us happy.

Reaction score
According to Hasbro, logistics. They can’t do it cheaply enough or get it shipped anywhere efficiently enough.
The fact is before haslab we had already stopped getting large vehicles at retail. With haslab there is now a clear path to getting large vehicles bypassing the retail issues.. that's clear to everyone. The only people upset are the cheapskates who think it's their God given right to buy everything at heavy discount.

Reaction score
The fact is before haslab we had already stopped getting large vehicles at retail. With haslab there is now a clear path to getting large vehicles bypassing the retail issues.. that's clear to everyone. The only people upset are the cheapskates who think it's their God given right to buy everything at heavy discount.

I have no issues with large ships being sent the Haslab route. I'd love a studio scale Slave 1/Firespray. Never going to happen...but...

Reaction score

Not sure that logic holds up since Hasbro has said pretty clearly that Haslab is for projects that they couldn’t greenlight for retail given the costs associated with manufacturing large toys these days.

Reaction score
^ it could though.... If over time the buying environment changes again and a potential retail partner sees some advantage to a rereleased item as an exclusive as a result of the new shopping climate

Reaction score
Not sure that logic holds up since Hasbro has said pretty clearly that Haslab is for projects that they couldn’t greenlight for retail given the costs associated with manufacturing large toys these days.
It does because they never even gave the RC the chance because it wasn't going to survive so they needed it now in case people weren't interested after the fact..
The RC isn't the Barge. With all other vehicles releases there was a core audience built-in to buy said vehicles over decades, the Mandalorian was only in its second season so they could never know whether it would do well at retail until they tried.

Somehow we went from "Dream items" to just some guy's ship from a new show we knew nothing about. I can understand HasLab being for stuff they couldn't greenlight at retail, and I recognize this version of the RC may have been one of them, but by this logic we will never see a Hero's ship at retail again. So no longer are we discussing/expecting items like an SSD or DS or Tantive IV etc. but now it seems this venue will be bogged down with anything that isn't Speeder Class.

IMO they simply didn't have the faith in a SW vehicles at retail period after the ST failure, which I guess where the cost issues come in and being bale to afford it. They didn't want the risk at all. Which is fine it turned out well for them in this instance, and they can rely on Mission Fleet for the Kids. But lets get a grip not every Star Wars Collector is an elitist with funds pouring out their backend and some people here think only people with expensive tastes should be rewarded.

Reaction score
I think the issue is consumers waiting for sales or clearance, not the media a ship is pulled from. They could probably sell just about any ship from any trilogy or digital content via Haslab, given enough promotion. There is really no risk for Hasbro in that regard, as it would be funded before production. Those aren't risks retail wants on their shoulders though, when people wait for the prices to be slashed before making a purchase. Any higher pricepoint (hundreds of dollars) item should be limited to Haslab now - consumers pony up, or they don't get to own it. If they send a pricey TVC ship to Target for example, and it were to fail, we could see Target turn around and say - forget anymore TVC exclusives, or the line in general. I certainly don't think any ship is worth that risk, when it comes to overall retailer support.

Reaction score
I think that Hasbro and Retailers took a bath (it lost money) on the last few retail Big items such as the MTT and BS6" Tie Fighter. Combine that with the Great Decline of the ST movie lines and we have ended up with SW figures (and related Vehicles/Playsets) barely on the retailer shelves any more. So they aren't going to put the Big Items on shelves anymore. Even the GE Falcon was Target Online/Disney Parks only, and that was at double is original price.

Nope, if Big Ticket items are going to be made, it will be these Pre-order/Kickstarter methods. That was they can lock in demand and justify/cover the costs. There are only so many Big Ticket Eligible things that would be a success. I'm not sure a $350 Rancor is one of them. But seeing how cool the RC is, I'm not surprised it was a success.

Reaction score

"said" is all we have - doesn't mean it's true anymore. I believed it with the Barge more than anything, or even Unicron, I guess. But the Razor Crest? I'll never be convinced that this, or a Skystriker, heck even a Sentinel, couldn't have been sold at retail. Now they are just out for sheer profits and have forgone that whole "magical" "dream" item mantra. Now it's just for Hasbro profits, hand over fist.

Reaction score
"said" is all we have - doesn't mean it's true anymore. I believed it with the Barge more than anything, or even Unicron, I guess. But the Razor Crest? I'll never be convinced that this, or a Skystriker, heck even a Sentinel, couldn't have been sold at retail. Now they are just out for sheer profits and have forgone that whole "magical" "dream" item mantra. Now it's just for Hasbro profits, hand over fist.
Yeah, but this thread is full of speculation about how we’d like things to be, that requires ignoring how Hasbro has actually said things are. Hasbro has talked about manufacturing costs and retail space and all of the challenges with bringing large items to retail, and basically said that the guaranteed sales from Haslab let them green light things that otherwise would never see the light if day.

Things could be different for Haslab projects in the future, I’m certainly not Nostradamus, but I don’t think anyone should be holding their breath for the barge or Razorcrest or anything else this big that is new at retail any time soon

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that Hasbro and Retailers took a bath (it lost money) on the last few retail Big items such as the MTT and BS6" Tie Fighter.
To be fair I don't recall ever hearing/reading about a demand for the MTT to even be made. Granted, I think it was a great effort on Hasbro's part to do it and I'm sure some people were happy about it. After all most vehicles of the time were Republic, Gunship, AT-TE, Turbo Tank etc. but what was available for the Separatists, A tank and a fighter?

But when you think about it it doesn't really do much in the movie and is rather boring.

Reaction score
It probably would have been a better choice for TPM, compared to the Naboo Royal Starship.

Reaction score
To be fair I don't recall ever hearing/reading about a demand for the MTT to even be made. Granted, I think it was a great effort on Hasbro's part to do it and I'm sure some people were happy about it. After all most vehicles of the time were Republic, Gunship, AT-TE, Turbo Tank etc. but what was available for the Separatists, A tank and a fighter?

The MTT came relatively late in the game, first presentation 2012, certainly not in time for TPM.
By that time, both the Republic and CIS troops had powered up with a veritable flood of vehicles, including Giant Octuptarra, Hailfire, Geonosian Starfighter, Tri-Droid, Vulture and Hyena droids, Grievous' wheel bike and starfighter (plus Magnaguard fighter which was reused as Cad Bane's ship). So, there was no lack of Separatist vehicles.
If you mean the screen era, then the Republic hadn't all that many vehicles either by then. Gunship and AT-TE came with AOTC, the Turbo Tank with ROTS (not to mention the plethora of Jedi starfighters in all colors).
Anyway, the MTT surprised me because it was not the most interesting of vehicles and didn't have the most exciting of movie roles...
(and personally I would have preferred two more podracers anyway)