The Problem with Ahsoka

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed on here.

Does anyone else have an issue with the character that is Ahsoka Tano? The issue for me is that she was so prominent throughout the Clone Wars in various Star Wars media and of course again in Rebels yet there is no mention of her in ROTS. The Jedi Council even specifically state that Anakin hasn’t taken on an apprentice, making him under qualified for a seat on the council.

It’s just something that’s bothered me ever since The Clone Wars movie came out in 2008 and I just refuse to see her as a canon character.

Reaction score
I've personally never cared for her existence on the same merit as you. Now I KNOW she was retroactively added to continuity as ROTS already existed when the Clone Wars cartoon was made. But I think that just adds to the very fact that she makes no sense. The invent of her character is rather simple: it's marketing research. SW as a medium was slouching in the young girl demographic. I don't think there's anything wrong with creating a character that little girls can more identify with, where it's questionable is...why make her Anakin's padawan? It doesn't mesh up with established lore and now creates a new issue: WHY, if she's so relevant to Anakin, is she not even REMOTELY mentioned or eluded to in ROTS? Just doesn't make sense. Why make her his padawan if you know the established lore won't support it? I always argued they should have just take a preexisting Jedi character as, well, I think we all wanted to see the Jedi from the films more explored...and tag like Barriss Offee to be support for Anakin on missions rather that giving Anakin some random new apprentice or...something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is... is it 2008 again?
Sorry, I watched ROTS last night and when it got to the Jedi Council scenes with Anakin it brought up the whole Ahsoka thing in my mind so thought I’d post.

The thing is I seem to remember everyone just accepting it back in 2008 and there not being much discussion over it.

Reaction score
It's no different than what they did with Rogue One, IMO. If they can retroactively add that to Canon, then there shouldn't be any issues with Ahsoka.
So for her not to be mentioned in ROTS fits perfectly since she left he Order, and wouldn't have been around.

I too though she was annoying in the beginning, and that she grew on me. She evolved into an endearing character especially so in Rebels.
And honestly wouldn't have minded if she returned post TFA and beyond.

Reaction score
She is one of my favorite characters. That brat really grew on me as I watched TCW. Her banter with Anakin (and everyone else mostly) is quite enjoyable.
Same, she grew on me and it obviously helped that Ashley has such an amazing personality and spirit helping bring SW to a new audience. That being said, I would dearly love for the nickname “Sky-guy” to be erased from my memory forever.

Reaction score
Same, she grew on me and it obviously helped that Ashley has such an amazing personality and spirit helping bring SW to a new audience. That being said, I would dearly love for the nickname “Sky-guy” to be erased from my memory forever.
Haha, yes that name no longer has any meaning for me, errrr... I mean.. yes, leave it out :)

Reaction score
Each to their own, I suppose I’m more of a fan of the films than the TV shows so her character just doesn’t sit right with me.
Not liking a character because of the way he/she is written is one thing (and perfectly fine). Not liking a character because of the medium/canon status is an entirely different thing. I just don't get the obsession with canon to the point that people don't allow themselves to enjoy something, just because it's "not that important". In the end, it's all just fiction. Fiction should spur ones imagination. Not restrict it in one way or the other.

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed on here.

Does anyone else have an issue with the character that is Ahsoka Tano? The issue for me is that she was so prominent throughout the Clone Wars in various Star Wars media and of course again in Rebels yet there is no mention of her in ROTS. The Jedi Council even specifically state that Anakin hasn’t taken on an apprentice, making him under qualified for a seat on the council.

It’s just something that’s bothered me ever since The Clone Wars movie came out in 2008 and I just refuse to see her as a canon character.
I never liked the idea either. I do think they did some really good character development in TCW with her and she was a good character in TCW. She just didn't fit into the scheme of the films and that's where it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think she should have been added to Rebels or at the very least she should truly have been killed by Vader.

Ahsoka never bothered me as a character. I know some didn't like her when TCW began, but she did mature a lot during the show and that's one thing I really give credit to in the show. It may have started as a show aimed at kids, but they did a lot of good stuff with her. However, having her leave the Jedi Order in that way instead of just killing her and Rex off was a weak point for me.

Reaction score
Frankly, I see none of the Anakin from TCW in Anakin from Ep III. The characterization was SO much better and deeper. He went from a strong, confident warrior to a sullen, petulant teenager. Lack of acknowledgment of Ashoka's existence the least of things that bother me.

Reaction score
Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a changed version where he Strikes her down in ROTS. Although since GL is gone this isn't likely to happen.

Reaction score
Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a changed version where he Strikes her down in ROTS. Although since GL is gone this isn't likely to happen.
Which would make the now canon Rebels show...non existent? Don't get me wrong I didn't love that show but having her killed off retroactively in ROTS would make no sense at this point.

Although that is they way I always pictured her story ending...with an added shot to ROTS of Rex killing her during Order 66. I knew that wasn't going to happen though once both characters got so popular towards the end of the CW run. I think I even posted something along those lines here years ago.

Reaction score
Although that is they way I always pictured her story ending...with an added shot to ROTS of Rex killing her during Order 66. I knew that wasn't going to happen though once both characters got so popular towards the end of the CW run. I think I even posted something along those lines here years ago.
That's what I thought was going to happen as well.

Reaction score
I think people just assume that this type of thing needs explained. IMO, she left the Order thus making her a non existent character for Anakin to acknowledge. So I'm fine with how her character arc was explored/explained. Though I would go one further and have her show up post ROTJ, to help Luke build a new Order?

Reaction score
I really like the character Ahsoka, but not going to debate it.

Just wanted to say that ROTS was made before The Clone Wars, so that probably played into why Ahsoka wasn't referenced. While it is plausible that early stages of The Clone Wars may have been developed during the time ROTS was being produced, it is mostly logical that stories of Anakin's padawan were never fleshed out enough.

Reaction score
Technicaly, Ahsoka was never Anakins padawan. Anakin himself was still a padawan of Kenobi and he wasn't a Jedi Master until ROTS.
I dont think a padawan can take a padawan, a lerner, student at most. Someone to have a look for and learn responsibility. Thats how I see it

Reaction score
Technicaly, Ahsoka was never Anakins padawan. Anakin himself was still a padawan of Kenobi and he wasn't a Jedi Master until ROTS.
I dont think a padawan can take a padawan, a lerner, student at most. Someone to have a look for and learn responsibility. Thats how I see it
Wasn't he a knight at that point? A knight can probably take on an apprentice, even if they aren't granted master status.

Reaction score
I like her now, but hated her in the animated movie and first couple seasons. She as others said, grew on me. However, yes, it is dumb to make her Anakin's Padawan (she often referred to him as her Master on the show as I watch it all the time on Disney +) when one of the main reasons Anakin grew to distrust the Jedi Council was their refusal to make him a Master in ROTS.

I do not think it makes Ashoka a bad character per say, but it is not great for continuity either. But then again, is Luke and Leia making out in ESB, or Leia remembering her Mother in ROTJ any better?

Reaction score
The early episodes were bad same with Ezra they didn’t know exactly how to write the characters yet.

Eventually the characters got better but the real draw of her was that she was something that a lot of the prequels didn’t have. We didn’t know when she would die. Unlike 95% of the prequel characters.

When she actually became popular it became problematic to kill her off, but leaving her & Ezra alive during the OT is equally problematic.

Reaction score
Good one. Ahsoka and Ezra still being alive during the OT is problematic and Filoni should have had the guts to kill them both off because he knew it was a problem.

Reaction score
Given what Disney has done to the whole dame galaxy, I find that statement severely problematic. There's absolutely no reason why those two couldn't be alive, just as the 1000's of other characters are.

Them releasing Rogue one should also confirm that it's possible. It never bothered me because I feel that a few could have survived the Purge, by doing exactly what any War refugee would do. Your comment would suggest every Nazi Officer died in the War, and never lived to see 40-60 more years of life in a different Country.

What I find problematic, is if Brie Larson is cast to play her!

Reaction score
Given what Disney has done to the whole dame galaxy, I find that statement severely problematic. There's absolutely no reason why those two couldn't be alive,
Yoda said in ROTJ: When gone I am, the last of the Jedi you will be.

To me that's pretty definitive and I don't accept the whole "well, technically...." line. When you start knocking down the OT, you're really hurting all of Star Wars.

To me, Rebels should have just been plain average people fighting against the Empire. Noe force-users, just average people struggling for freedom. Kanan worked out as a survivor of Order 66, but there was no reason to add another force-user to the bunch.

Reaction score
Again with the technicality argument......🙄...........................:sneaky:................................:ROFLMAO:
I agree that this was done most likely because they knew they had painted themselves into a corner by keeping her on for so long.
But she did leave, which I am fine with, as an explanation to why we don't see or hear about her in ROTS.
But I am also colored by liking her very much. :)

Reaction score
I hate everything about Ashoka. She is a Mary Sue. The fact is still Nebulously alive after Clone Wars and Rebels is just stupid. My fear is she will be in Mandalorian.
Likewise. I mean, it's always been so baffling to me how she has such a huge fandom. How? You always hear the "It's wonderful little girls have a character to look up to now," and I'm sitting here thinking...well that doesn't make any sense to me. 1. There have always been female leads, heroic ones, in Star Wars. It never made sense to me to simply make up that Anakin had this mysterious padawan that basically goes against everything we see in the PT, if they wanted a lead female Jedi, wouldn't it make so much more sense to just take one of the female Jedi (to which hardly any are given character in the films themselves) and expand them in the CW show. Shaak Ti, Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura, Luminara Unduli, none of these characters have any depth in the films themselves, just take one of them, expand their role, and have them partnered with Anakin a lot during the war. Then secondly, I always find the notion that a gender can only identify with a character if they're the same gender to be so obnoxious. Why can't little girls identify with, say, Obi Wan or Anakin? But yes, with her bizarrely immense popularity, I think it's (IMO unfortunately) only a matter of time before her presence taints something in live action.

Reaction score
Part of the reason i like her is that she's an Alien, those characters are the ones that have always been more fascinating to me.
I'm, so totally bored from the Human infested ST.
Had Finn or Poe been an alien character it would have definitely improved my perception of the ST, a little.

Reaction score
If Ashoka was not Anakin's Padwan and it was just her show of nagging another Jedi Master then ok. Leia is the first hero in Star Wars wtf are people talking about no female roles?

Utinniii

Reaction score
It is a kids show, so having a female child makes sense. Kids can certainly immediately relate to that. (Also SW has always been about kids being the heros.)
Zero female roles is hyperbole, but the point stands. Even Leia was regulated to window dressing in ROTJ.

There are very few, and most fail that (I forget the name of the ) test where females stand for them selves and are not slaved to the males in some way. I want to say Brectle?

Few don't see the problem with mostly male (white) characters. It isn't an issue. However, any (colored) female role is now pandering to the SJWs.

I mentioned race there even though that wasn't mentioned in this particular thread because it has been used elsewhere. Anyone that is wondering why people are calling their view either sexist or racist should look into micro aggressions.

Reaction score
Part of the reason i like her is that she's an Alien, those characters are the ones that have always been more fascinating to me.
I'm, so totally bored from the Human infested ST.
Had Finn or Poe been an alien character it would have definitely improved my perception of the ST, a little.
I do agree there. When you think back on it, there aren't really any new major alien characters. We have minor ones, but no real major players of another species. That's a shame. I suppose I get, on a level, it's just harder to emote with a character that's not, at least, humanoid in...facial structure I suppose? But there's still plenty of aliens that fit that billing.

If Ashoka was not Anakin's Padwan and it was just her show of nagging another Jedi Master then ok. Leia is the first hero in Star Wars wtf are people talking about no female roles?
Well that's the thing. I never had an issue with her being female, never been to big on SW doing major characters younger than like...18...though. My issues stem from 1. Just her personality. She's obnoxious. I mean, I've been told she gets better, but my God was she torture at first. I just couldn't endure her long. I only learned what happened with her vicariously through friends who are fans. But the biggest one is 2. I still don't get how she makes any sense whatsoever. I mean folks excuse her never being mentioned in Revenge of the Sith as there just wasn't a need to mention her, but I just can't agree with that. I'd think, particularly with Anakin's slow but noticeable decent, someone would be like "Hey, is this about your failed padawan?" Seems kind of relevant to me. Which is why, honestly, if they wanted a somewhat younger female Jedi, just build off the background roles already there. Someone like, say, Aayla Secura. Just would work so much better IMO. That is just the inherent issue you'll cause with retroactively adding a character after a trilogy is complete. She just always felt, to me, like the Pep-rally Mouseketeer of the Jedi...I just could never enjoy her.

It is a kids show, so having a female child makes sense. Kids can certainly immediately relate to that. (Also SW has always been about kids being the heros.)
Zero female roles is hyperbole, but the point stands. Even Leia was regulated to window dressing in ROTJ.

There are very few, and most fail that (I forget the name of the ) test where females stand for them selves and are not slaved to the males in some way. I want to say Brectle?

Few don't see the problem with mostly male (white) characters. It isn't an issue. However, any (colored) female role is now pandering to the SJWs.

I mentioned race there even though that wasn't mentioned in this particular thread because it has been used elsewhere. Anyone that is wondering why people are calling their view either sexist or racist should look into micro aggressions.
Well I mean, sure, kids should have good role model characters, I agree entirely. It's important. I mean Robin was created for the very same reason, give the kids someone they can identify with more than Batman. Batman is who they admire, look up to. Robin was intended to reflect more who the average reader was. I just personally don't like that type of character much. Never been big on sort of peppy young overt sidekick roles. And like said, considering I don't find Anakin having such an important padawan making a lick of sense considering the films, she just never jelled with me.

I mean I wouldn't say Leia was relegated to window dressing for all of ROTJ, but sure there's the slave outfit. But keep in mind the context of it, firstly Jabba is the villain. It's not glorifying objectification, she's forced to wear it by a lusting, glutinous, disgusting criminal. And secondly, she kills Jabba. NOW...admittedly...George probably in real life wrote that just to get her in a bikini, but still, in the film it's at least done by a character who you can see doing something so...petty. I mean in the end, I still think she's very heroic in the film. I will say, I always felt both Han and Leia's weakest OT film is Jedi though. I mean in the same respect, Leia, ultimately, is still in need of rescue in Star Wars. Where it subverts is, once she is freed from the cell block, she basically gung-ho takes charge rather than is simply a damsel in distress. It's a clever play on the troupe.

I mean I think it's all in how things are done. I hated Rose and did feel she was pandering and simply from just a complete objective point of view, just doesn't have a true purpose in the script...because of context. I rather liked Jannah and felt she did have a compelling backstory and contributed to a purpose, albeit there's way too little of her. I'm hoping we get more of her in EU later. It all just depends on the intentions of the writers. Heck, a fantastic example of that? I rather like Rey...when J.J. writes her. I did not care for Rey...when Rian wrote her. Same can be said for male characters like Finn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree she was obnoxious in the beginning, but like anyone who grows/matures. This changes in time, and so did her character,

Case in point, AOTC era Anakin was a very big brat. IMO And while he did mature under Obi-Wan's tutelage, there was too much interference from an undesirable force.

So i guess we're lucky she didn't follow that same path, or become an Inquisitor for him.

Reaction score
Bechdel test.

I do approve more diversity in heroes (and action figures). What I do not like so much is the constant retconning of stuff. "the last of the Jedi you will be" is indeed a problematic line; considering that Yoda appeared to Ezra in Rebels, he should be aware of any Force user remaining in the galaxy. One may say "the last of the Jedi that has been trained in all the old ways and who will continue to teach the exact lore" but how long was Luke on Dagobah to learn? Ahsoka had been a youngling/Padawan for all her life, she would have been much more of a Jedi than Luke ever could be.

I actually expected Ahsoka to be gone after her Vader fight, and Ezra to die in the final confrontation with Thrawn. But then, they had to write Thrawn out of the story too...