The "Official" Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Hello,
Won't bother posting any further messages on this board as it's a waste of time.

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on this thread. Long story short; I've got a vinyl jawa but long lost the gun. I bought one from a shop in the US. I'd sent my vinyl Jawa off to be graded and both figure and cape pass muster. The gun is the problem. It's a real early gun, just not early enough for the vinyl jawa.

So after all that my question is does anyone know where I can but a smooth blaster or normal bump version to complete the grading?

Reaction score
Hello I just find this Jawa can you light me up about this one I am new here Can you help me and let me know what you think? Its original? And if it is what will be its value?? Thanks

Reaction score
Can you help What will be its Value like this ? And what will you do ? Sent it to AFA for grading will add value or just sell it like this? Really appreciate your help thanks gerrit

Last edited:
Reaction score
The value to a vintage collector will be about 5 tot 8 dollars for the jawa. The cape and blister card are modern reproductions so basically worthless and sending Them tot AFA is nog going tot improve the value . Selling reproductions is a big no-no in the star wars collecting community so my advice is if you like it keep it and enjoy it if you don't return it to the seller and try to get your money back.

Reaction score
I am going to Keep it like I say I find this one for $10 so like I dont know Nothing about this thats why I was Looking for Info about it, Thank you gerrit for all your Help

Reaction score
'

the two first picture of coo is legit coo to vinyl jawa?

i was looking to buy a VCjawa that has the copyright pictured in example #2. Is it legit because I heard a VCJ could come with both copyrights? Thanks

Reaction score
Yes first 2 examples in that picture are both OK coos. The graphic is wrong when it says NOPE. Any Family I coo is fine

Should be

CORRECT
CORRECT
NOPE
NOPE

Reaction score
Anyone ever straighten the typical bent tip of a DT saber by dipping it in boiling water for a short amount of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The general consensus is that you do not mess with the saber — at all. Very brittle.

Reaction score
I have wanted a vinyl cape jawa for as long as I can remember but I never pulled the trigger and now the prices are so far out there I don't think I will ever be able to afford one. Do you think they will ever come down or will they just keep on rising in price?

Reaction score
I have wanted a vinyl cape jawa for as long as I can remember but I never pulled the trigger and now the prices are so far out there I don't think I will ever be able to afford one. Do you think they will ever come down or will they just keep on rising in price?
I don't have one either and I would expect a "deal" a couple years down the road is more than likely going to be the same as the upper range prices we see today if I am lucky. I have to see if my disposable income at sometime outpaces the rising cost of a VC Jawa and at that time I have to decide if the available prices are acceptable.

I think Collectibles that are widely known are similar to Blue Chip stocks. They are well established. the value in the long term always goes up. There can be significant swings in the short term affected by everything from the overall economy to how the fandom reacts to missteps by Disney.

Disney could somehow knock it out of the park as far as reigniting fan interest with episode IX and thousands of people who sold or slowed down their collecting may return overnight driving prices to nearly double or the opposite could happen (though similar to gas prices, once a higher price is established it takes awhile for "buy it now" sale prices or brick and mortar to reflect that).

That is all short timeframe stuff though, in the long run, lets say in the timeframe of 5-10 years from now its unlikely to see Vintage Star Wars hold a lower price than today (barring the sudden implosion of Western Civilization or something like that in which case everything goes back to zero and if we are lucky or unlucky enough to survive we have other concerns)

Reaction score
Good points. I kick myself for not buying one years ago when the prices were more in my range. Now this figure is becoming out of reach for me. I also fear that as years go by someone is going to figure out how to make a cape as good as the original and then AFA will have a brand new problem on their hands.

Reaction score
I really have no idea. The prices on anything carded is out of control in my opinion. I believe that in time these bubbles will either fall off or dissolve away. Carded collecting is such a fragile game. All of the things we like to collect are only worth what someone will pay. These are toys not gold.

Reaction score
I really have no idea. The prices on anything carded is out of control in my opinion. I believe that in time these bubbles will either fall off or dissolve away. Carded collecting is such a fragile game. All of the things we like to collect are only worth what someone will pay. These are toys not gold.

Well put and something to consider for sure.

Reaction score
I am very curious as to why there are so many AFA 85 vinyl cape jawa's on eBay at almost any given time? Something just doesn't seem right. Didn't kids play with these figures? I am in the market to finally buy one but I think I would rather have one that is a lower grade that actually looks played with. My untrusting mind tells me that possibly people have finally cracked the code into making a complete fake of a cape. AFA just seems to be getting a lot of 85's lately. Maybe I am way off base?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am very curious as to why there are so many AFA 85 vinyl cape jawa's on eBay at almost any given time? Something just doesn't seem right. Didn't kids play with these figures? I am in the market to finally buy one but I think I would rather have one that is a lower grade that actually looks played with. My untrusting mind tells me that possibly people have finally cracked the code into making a complete fake of a cape. AFA just seems to be getting a lot of 85's lately. Maybe I am way off base?
Might be the sellers are pricing themselves out so they just stick around and accumulate as they continue to wait for another overly motivated buyer.

Reaction score
Which of these is the VC Jawa?

As a kid I had several Jawas. One of which had the Vinyl Cape. As I played with these Jawas, I removed the cloaks and cape and put them back on a number of times. So I have lost track of which of these Jawas was the orignal VC and which were ones I came with the cloth cloaks. I know that we are supposed to be able to tell looking at the eyes and the bandolier, but I'm having a hard time nailing down which one he might be. So after years of wondering, I figured I'd put their pic up here and see if we can figure it out.

and back

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a kid I had several Jawas. One of which had the Vinyl Cape. As I played with these Jawas, I removed the cloaks and cape and put them back on a number of times. So I have lost track of which of these Jawas was the orignal VC and which were ones I came with the cloth cloaks. I know that we are supposed to be able to tell looking at the eyes and the bandolier, but I'm having a hard time nailing down which one he might be. So after years of wondering, I figured I'd put their pic up here and see if we can figure it out.

and back
The second from the left and the one on the far right are the figures that are usually combined with the vinyl cape.

Reaction score
Thank you. That would be funny if I had two VC jawas without capes. Double my torment.

While my parents bought me my first jawa (The VC), the other jawas I likely acquired by trading with neighborhood kids or may have received as a duplicate gift later. I always wanted to army build Jawas and Stormtroopers as a kid. Other kids would gladly trade for hotwheels or other stuff. It would be funny if I got a VC Jawa from one of them without its cape and then picked up another cape somewhere down the road.

Reaction score
I had been going by details listed in this page.

http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/vcjawa.htm

I was focusing on the Bandolier and the Jawa Eyes. But with two of them looking just like each other, I was confused. I was hoping that one Jawa would stand out from the other three. Instead I have two pairs of look-a-likes.

Reaction score
Is it the detail in the bandolier? I sort of remember reading something about that a long time ago
The page Cyclone pointed out explains it best, it's a combination of the eyes the bandolier and the coo. Another thing to look for is the hands, the thumbs have tiny bumps on the end.

Reaction score
The page Cyclone pointed out explains it best, it's a combination of the eyes the bandolier and the coo. Another thing to look for is the hands, the thumbs have tiny bumps on the end.

Cool points. Yes I can see the bandolier difference in the second from the left and the one on the far right compared to the other two.

Reaction score
Can anyone who has a loose Luke DT saber tell me how long (in mm would be nice) the inner filament is?
I sold one and he's getting mixed messages on length (yes, you can giggle if you want).
The one I sold seems to be between 31 and 32 mm long..