The "Official" Vinyl Cape Jawa and DT Saber Discussion Thread

Reaction score
I recently came across a circle variant DT luke and have a question about the inner filament of the saber. It appears to be a little shorter than other DT sabers I've seen. Is this normal for the circle variation or is part of the tip missing? It's hard to estimate the length but compared to others the linner filament only sticks out a tiny bit when pushed all the way in while others stick about about 1cm
I think I've seen the one for sale you are referring to. Yes, it looks short. I think some of the tip is missing. I believe all inner filaments should be the same length.

Reaction score
I have the version 2 circles saber. It has an indent on the hilt instead of a bump.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greetings- New here. I uplaoded a video a while ago to my Star Wars collection youtube channel "Collection THX1138" "Star Wars Vintage Kenner 10 VINYL CAPED JAWAS MEGO SUPER HEROES Micronauts Women’s Day Space Station"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgH6Y2hExow&list=PLkO-XUhhtIB84blu3VAvUsI3actVpZfpz&index=14

I bet those Women's Day photoshoot vinyl caped Jawas didn't know how much they were worth ; My friend had Blue Snaggletooth (in some of my vids) and his cousin had a vinyl caped Jawa. I also have vids of my original Kenner RC Jawa Sandcrawler including POV clips in the "FORCE AWAKENS TV SPOT #11 “EVERYTHING YOU GOT” + BB-8 MASHUP Channel Clips & Collectibles"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello RS, I thought I'd share my VC Jawa and 2 Luke DT's. I recently got both out of storage and found the Luke's body had discolored more than I remember. Still in great condition otherwise, especially the saber.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new here and have a question: I have a vinyl-cape Jawa (loose) that I have personally owned since I originally bought it (or more likely, my parents bought it for me) shortly after it was released. However, my jawa's cape does not seem to have any kind of waffle pattern - both sides seem to be equally smooth to me. I am certain this is not a fake, because I opened the package in the 70s and it's been in a box in my basement ever since. Can anyone tell me if it's possible there are vinyl-cape jawas without the waffle pattern? Maybe I have a less-valuable version or something? (For what it's worth, mine looks similar to the pictures in the post above, but with a much narrower collar on the cape.)

I can post pictures if anyone can help me with this.

Reaction score
Yes, please post some close up pics..
-Steve
By request, here are some photos. I'm sorry I'm not much of a photographer at all.

Here's a picture of all my figures that have been living in a candy box for the last 35+ years or so. These were bought in and around the times of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back - obviously Yoda came after Empire, but many of the others were certainly pre-Empire. Some of them are a little dusty. Jawas are at the top. I assume I got the second Jawa because he looked different with the cloth cloak. I really don't know why I have 3 Tusken Raiders...

Here's the Vinyl Cape Jawa by himself. I'm actually not sure if this is his gun or not. The two Jawa guns I have are very slightly different colors.

I've also seen that some Jawas have "big eyes" and some have "small eyes". I guess this one has small eyes.

Here's the inside of his cape -- it's basically completely smooth as far as I can see. It's hard to take a picture this close, at least with my camera.

I've seen some of the other concerns about vinyl cape jawas are the size of the armholes and the designation on the leg. I tried to take those pictures as well.

Obviously I'm just trying to figure out if this figure is valuable at all. Although I know I can never prove to anyone, I am 100% positive this is not a fake, unless fakes were being made in the late 1970s and put into stores for people to buy? Therefore, I'm just confused by the authentication rules. Were there multiple different versions of vinyl cape jawas, and only certain ones are valuable?

Reaction score
Ok, here ya go.
1. Let's start with the cape. It looks 100% authentic to me. Look at the bottom pic you posted, side view, with the left arm up. Look at the armpit area, down. Can you see the cross hatch pattern/texture? That cape is not smooth where I pointed out. It has all the signs of an authentic cape. The cut and color are good too. That is an authentic Jawa vinyl cape.
2. The figure itself. I believe the coo is wrong. I am wondering if the figure with the cloth cape got swapped, and that is indeed the correct Jawa for the vinyl cape? Take a look at his coo, and snap a photo. Let us see. The eyes on the vinyl cape Jawa should have the larger painted eyes also. I am giving you a link below. The coo for the vinyl cape Jawa is Family I, in the chart.
3. The blaster. Again, I believe you mixed the guns up here. I believe the vinyl cape Jawa should have the darker blackish/greenish blaster, that is with your cloth Jawa, in the pic above. I am giving you a link that explains the exact blackish/greenish blaster with/or without a side bump, that the vinyl cape Jawa should have.
I hope this helps you : ) and congrats, that cape is 100% authentic. -Steve

The coo for the vinyl cape Jawa is Family I (from Wolff's coo guide)
Jawa | Variant Villain

The blaster is the darker blackish/greenish
Vinyl Caped Jawa Action Figure (The Canadian Star Wars Gallery)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, thank you very much for the help, and so fast! You're the best!

Now that you point it out, I do see the hatch patter in the photos of the cape. I can't see it in person. It's so much finer than I thought it was supposed to be! Also, I thought it was supposed to be *inside* the cape. Thanks for setting me straight.

Here are the eyes and coo from the other figure, with his cloth cloak off:

I do also see now that this guy has the larger eyes. I'm still not clear if this is the right coo, but based on what you're saying, I'm betting it is?

Now the mystery - who swapped the jawas' clothes, and when? I'm betting a certain little sister probably had something to do with back in the day. :) Now if I can just swap them back with no damage...

Reaction score
No problem and you are welcome. That figure, you just posted is 100% correct. It has the correct coo also. There are 2 coo's from Family I (1) that are for a vinyl cape Jawa, and you have one of the correct ones, in your latest photo. Yes, the capes got swapped. The darker blaster is also correct for this figure. So, now that you have figure all matched up correctly, set it aside and enjoy it. It is in very nice condition by the way.
One last note. Take a magnifying glass and look at the cape under a good light. You will see the cross hatch pattern/texture. I have seen vinyl cape Jawas with the texture on the inside and on the outside. It all depends how the cape was applied in production. So there is no right or wrong way.
Glad we figured out this mystery. Congrats : )
-Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recently picked up a VC Jawa and it also has the wrong small eye figure.

So what I'm looking for is a large eye with the lower Hong Kong COO and a black or dark green blaster?

Reaction score
Do people tend to pay more for the large eye, Honk Kong COO Jawa? Like, is this figure worth more even when it doesn't have the cape? Or were enough of them released with cloth capes that there isn't enough of a scarcity to create much demand for them?

Reaction score
Quick Question; i'll use this Thread because it has Jawa in it... didnt wan to open a new thread for it...

I've got some spare clothcape Jawas... one has a small hood, the others have a long one...
Is one of them more valuable than the other?

Reaction score
But this is the vinyl cape thread, not a Jawa thread . . . ?

The small hood cape is an earlier (earliest? first?) release. Some do consider it more valuable and more rare. I believe the small hood is a lot of times found with the large-eye Jawa.

--

Reaction score
But this is the vinyl cape thread, not a Jawa thread . . . ?

The small hood cape is an earlier (earliest? first?) release. Some do consider it more valuable and more rare. I believe the small hood is a lot of times found with the large-eye Jawa.

--

yeah....i know.... sorry ;-)
I just thought it wouldn't deserve a whole new Thread; also the search function didnt help...
...and I expecteted all the Jawa Cape Experts to be in here...
Anyway... thanks for the quick answer! :grin:

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a jawa enthusiast and i've never noticed a price difference between the small and large hood capes, same goes for khabarakh's coo question, only when the seller advertises the jawa as "vc jawa coo" or "rare large/ small hood cape" the asking price is usually higher but if you're a smart buyer you just avoid these listings and buy what you want for a normal price.
12 backs usually have a larger hooded figure in the blister but the size can vary, ESB cards have a nice variation of larger and smaller hoods and Jedi cards mostly have a smaller hood especially the later smooth capes. Take a look at Chris Nicols's collection to see what i meanJawa Collection - Star Wars Toys, Prototypes and More. It's important to keep in mind these capes are not real people's clothes so sizes of hoods capes and sleeves can vary in the same production run:grin:

Dieter

Reaction score
Lets stick to DT and VCJ discussion, although all Jawas are cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm interested in an updated estimate of the DT's currently in circulation. I know the AFA reports give us an idea. Seems like more are being found every month. Thoughts?

Reaction score
I'm interested in an updated estimate of the DT's currently in circulation. I know the AFA reports give us an idea. Seems like more are being found every month. Thoughts?

The AFA population reports are as follows:

Ben DT: 8 Carded, 12 Loose
Vader DT: 5 Carded, 22 Loose
Luke DT: 21 Carded, 103 Loose

I am not sure when this was updated last. Considering UKG graded figures, ungraded, and partial sabers, what is everyone's thoughts on an estimated real population for each? Maybe 50% more for each? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Sorry to the mods and all other members for reposting this, but I think this should be where I need to ask this question. I recently picked up this farmboy Luke and I think there's a chance he could be a DT. I have another one and the new one looks way different. He has a slimmer neck, his eyes are different, pants as well, and his COO has a much larger "circle C" than my original. I noticed someone mentioning "breaks" in an earlier post when referring to a DT Luke. Any input is much appreciated in advance, thanks. Mods, feel free to delete my original thread titled "Need help with these farmboy Luke's"

Reaction score
DT only refers to the sabers, not the figures.
DT sabers commonly come with large "circle C" or 3 lines HK COO Luke figures.
But not all of them (large C and 3 lines HK COO) come with DT, most come with single telescoping sabers.

Reaction score
DT only refers to the sabers, not the figures.
DT sabers commonly come with large "circle C" or 3 lines HK COO Luke figures.
But not all of them (large C and 3 lines HK COO) come with DT, most come with single telescoping sabers.
Thank you so much for actually clarifying that, now this makes much more sense. So they only way to get a true "DT figure" is if the figure comes with a legit DT saber, and the correct COO's to match? Again, thanks for the info as this is the answer I was looking for!

Reaction score
'

the two first picture of coo is legit coo to vinyl jawa?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Correct, the top 2 are coo's for the vinyl cape Jawa in the photo above. So the photo is marked incorrectly for the 2nd photo from the top.

Reaction score
A recent pickup I wanted to ask for opinions on. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Musasa, your Vinyl Cape Jawa looks good.
Stormtroopers, your DT is a repro. Save your money and do not send it in to AFA. They will reject it. It is made by a known Reproduction DT maker, which I will not advertise. But it should be very easy to do research on it, if you google or even search here "Rev". Regardless, it is a known fake. Hope that helps.
-Steve

Reaction score
Tiny Holes in Luke DT Saber

Hello!
New member - I've searched high and low but haven't seen any reference to this. I just purchased my first Luke DT figure and I feel confident it's legit. Y lettered hilt - Figure matches the usual suspects (and came from a reputable seller). I have a concern about two tiny holes in the outer saber part, though. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this or knows if these could have been made by the factory/production process? The last pic from the bottom side of the hilt shows that half of the outer saber wall is much thinner than the other. My thoughts were either air bubbles in the mold or a factory worker having to use a pin/needle to detach the outer saber from the sprue, perhaps because of the fragile thinner wall? I'm just guessing and hoping someone will know or could confirm. I'm attaching some pics that I hope may help:

I've circled the holes in the fourth pic and also included another figure's saber that was recently purchased on Ebay. It seems to have the same tiny holes as mine. Let me know if more pics/info could be helpful.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Adam

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tiny Holes in Luke DT Saber

Hello!
New member - I've searched high and low but haven't seen any reference to this. I just purchased my first Luke DT figure and I feel confident it's legit. Y lettered hilt - Figure matches the usual suspects (and came from a reputable seller). I have a concern about two tiny holes in the outer saber part, though. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen something like this or knows if these could have been made by the factory/production process? The last pic from the bottom side of the hilt shows that half of the outer saber wall is much thinner than the other. My thoughts were either air bubbles in the mold or a factory worker having to use a pin/needle to detach the outer saber from the sprue, perhaps because of the fragile thinner wall? I'm just guessing and hoping someone will know or could confirm. I'm attaching some pics that I hoping may help:

I've circled the holes in the fourth pic and also included another figure's saber that was recently purchased on Ebay. It seems to have the same tiny holes as mine. Let me know if more pics/info could be helpful.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Adam

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the vinyl caped Jawa only came with the black or greenish gun? Mine is dark, but when held up to the light it is bluish. I'm trying to figure out if this gun can go with the VC Jawa.

Reaction score
Tiny Holes Cont'd

Found another DT Luke sold awhile back on Ebay with a similar hole to the ones I described in my previous post. This seller called it a mold defect.
Anybody have a take on this? I was trying to decide whether or not to keep but have since decided to hang on to him and display.
The holes aren't visible while he's displayed, anyway.
Just thought maybe it was more common and others could confirm.

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this Vinyl Cape Jawa is legit please. Looks like it to me. FYI - COO is right. Thanks!

Let me know if additional pictures are needed.

Last edited: